mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
current setup is
dovpo topside, the original one. new 21700 samsung 40t battery
nio rda
fused clapton 28/40

problem is sometimes my mod will read "shorted" and not fire. Tried looking up how to fix the issue. Usually I wipe out juice that got into the battery well and then all's well. When that doesn't work I'll take the rda off and wipe everything down. If that fails I replace the coil and clean the rda best I can and then all's well. Haven't had to go any steps further past replacing the coil, but what gives? Sometimes it'll read "shorted" I wait a few minutes and then it fires right up without issue. Is there something wrong with the mod itself maybe? I'm tired of throwing out coils after only a month or so of use. This is my first squonk mod and I've never had any mod before it ever read a short and I've been using the same coils for years now. If more information is needed I can possibly provide cause I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention something.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Did you check the 510 pin in the RDA?
Sometimes the rubber grommet wears out.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Where's this grommet supposed to be? I don't see a grommet anywhere.

Between this pin and the metal RDA post there is a rubber or plastic type grommet.
You will need to unscrew the 510 pin from the bottom then pull the pin out to inspect it.

1626055345362.png

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Where's this grommet supposed to be? I don't see a grommet anywhere.

Also, While you have it apart you may as well check the positive terminal just to be sure a small piece of wire didn't break off and get wedged in anywhere.

It's either the RDA or the mod.
Do you happen to have a different RDA (or tank even. lol)?
If so you could put it on there for a while to see if the mod still shows the error message.
If it works fine with the other tank/RDA then you know it has something to do with the Nio RDA.
If it still puts out the error you'll know there is a problem with the mod.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
After all @5150sick mentions to check you might want to try unscrewing the posts. Meaning you may want to take your coil out and re-seat it. Then, be sure you're getting a good connection point at the posts.

You could also possibly just check your post screws are in tight, just screw them down until not moving. Sometimes they do work themselves loose. You need to consider the electricity heats metal. Metal will expand and contract.

Sorry if that reads as obvious. I even forget it at times myself. That's why I offer it.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Second the suggestion to check that screws are tightened down good. I've had that happen, and of course the most obvious thing is that if the coil isn't good and tight, it can move and then touch the RDA cap.

The suggestion that a tiny piece of wire may be caught somewhere inside your RDA is one that I hadn't thought of until I read it here on the forum last year. Those little pieces that get trimmed off when you're building can cause a lot of trouble.

VU Sponsors