Become a Patron!

Post your builds

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
great work man :cheers: i didnt realize n90 was so much different to work with. i posted that pic to help someone (maybe you?) with 40+ alien wrap. i remember reading the post after i made it and thinking it sounded mostly like some crazy rambling...random pics of rope and talk of 'feeling' everything like some weird old hippie :teehee:
Thank you sir. I am pleased with it too :D

Yah it was me with 46g aliens. That was like what ... 6 months ago or something? I kinda gave up on that after a bit. I did do 1 little fralien with it a while after. But I figured I'd revisit it later after I put more time in.

The mass difference between N80 and N90 is extremely noticeable. The 28g cores were collapsing like I was trying to fuse 32 with 36. Then you add the fact that it doesn't like to hold shape ... so the fuse wire is extremely delicate. any snags, even teeny tiny ones from your skin, cause all kinds of ruckus.

And we are all kinda weird old hippies ... :giggle:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you sir. I am pleased with it too :D

Yah it was me with 46g aliens. That was like what ... 6 months ago or something? I kinda gave up on that after a bit. I did do 1 little fralien with it a while after. But I figured I'd revisit it later after I put more time in.

The mass difference between N80 and N90 is extremely noticeable. The 28g cores were collapsing like I was trying to fuse 32 with 36. Then you add the fact that it doesn't like to hold shape ... so the fuse wire is extremely delicate. any snags, even teeny tiny ones from your skin, cause all kinds of ruckus.

And we are all kinda weird old hippies ... :giggle:
theres a good chance that getting this build down taught you what you needed to hit 46 aliens. you should try them again :D i made a couple sets of things with 46 alien wrap and i remember wrecking a bit of my decore because it picked up some fluff off the floor and i tried to pull it off and completely mangled that whole area. i decided from that point forward, to just build the fluff into my coils and pulse it off once they are installed :teehee:

and yeah i agree, we are prolly all very similar to weird old hippies in one way or another :teehee:

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
So ... I feel like I'm spamming ... But here's one more.
II put a set of tiny SSFC on the Keen and no ... dual coil on this SS mod just doesn't cut it. Have to build to high and they just don't heat like I need. So, back to single coil ... and Yah baby she's rockin good now :D

6 ply .3 SS316L, 28g N90, 38g N90 Would be runnin N90 ribbon too if I had it. I am REALLY enjoying the vape I get from this alloy.
3mm ID, .16 ohm (post-fire) in the Rebirth.

This is really cool, and the only reason I took a shot, cause the purples and oranges are bleed off from the SS. I pulsed into the light blues and then all of a sudden the purple started coming out.

PicsArt_07-11-08.33.30.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So ... I feel like I'm spamming ... But here's one more.
II put a set of tiny SSFC on the Keen and no ... dual coil on this SS mod just doesn't cut it. Have to build to high and they just don't heat like I need. So, back to single coil ... and Yah baby she's rockin good now :D

6 ply .3 SS316L, 28g N90, 38g N90 Would be runnin N90 ribbon too if I had it. I am REALLY enjoying the vape I get from this alloy.
3mm ID, .16 ohm (post-fire) in the Rebirth.

This is really cool, and the only reason I took a shot, cause the purples and oranges are bleed off from the SS. I pulsed into the light blues and then all of a sudden the purple started coming out. The best part is you dont get the changes in resistance like you do with SS as it warms up.

View attachment 142526
I love the round wire, I havent vaped much with the N90 Ribbon. The vape off of it reminds me of a supercharged SS, its just a nudge better than SS in terms of heat but the response of it is perfect, the trade off with resistance isnt dramatic either.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I love the round wire, I havent vaped much with the N90 Ribbon. The vape off of it reminds me of a supercharged SS, its just a nudge better than SS in terms of heat but the response of it is perfect, the trade off with resistance isnt dramatic either.
Yes sir ... it's perfect! I am not a huge fan of SS. I'll vape it but I like the flavor from nickel alloys better. But I like the performance from SS. 90 is the best of both!! I had that 4 core N90 SFC in here before and I've been vaping that flubbed set of 4 core aliens in the KTX and I've been EXTREMELY pleased with them. I'd go as far as to say I have not been this happy with an overall vape experience in a looong time. I am typically a fraple core guy so I figured I give some mixing a try with the SS. It's better than full SS ... but I can still tell the SS is there. I'm going to have to find some 90 ribbon that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Cause 20 bucks for 100' is not something I'm willing to spend. That's damn near $1 per set just in ribbon. Then you add the fact that I wont be able to have it here and not try to play with it (aka waste a bunch for no reason :teehee:).

It seems LV has some for a more reasonable price. Anyone had any XP with LV Ni90 ribbon? I'll probably get some anyways cause I wanted to pick up a couple of HohmRun batts ... 4Kmah and 30a cdr (38a pulse) from a company I already trust and like?!?! Yes please :D

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Trying something unique (I think)...a triple coil setup in my Titan. I tried dual parallel Aliens...wonderful! I tried dual series Aliens...awesome! Now we'll try a non-symmetrical triple coil setup and take a new approach to staged heating. This is a dual 38g over 4x28g Alien set. 4mm ID, 6.5 wraps. They ohm out at about .37 each. Then we have a Mohawk in the middle. 38g over 3x26, 6.5 wraps. This coil comes in at about .33 ohms. The total resistance on the deck is .13 ohms. It's pulsed and the hot spots are eliminated. I'll likely fire this setup somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-250 watts for proper performance. The alloy is all N80. When burning off this setup of coils, the Mohawk heats a touch quicker and a fuzz hotter that the Alien siblings. Wish me luck!
ae154e8da45476abe04aaf759ff7f633.jpg
bb7bc298903f00826cc59bd8ea18efdb.jpg

The Wire Spider

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh, and the Mohawk adds a level of moisture or saturation to the vapor, not present with other build. Fortunately, the long length of the chimney all but eliminates the characteristic spitting of a Mohawk coil! Fabulous!
b1618aadaed1106b4b5aa81bc5cf6508.jpg
45ab902c9c6bacb14f448a4df93c7d0f.jpg

The Wire Spider

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Trying something unique (I think)...a triple coil setup in my Titan. I tried dual parallel Aliens...wonderful! I tried dual series Aliens...awesome! Now we'll try a non-symmetrical triple coil setup and take a new approach to staged heating. This is a dual 38g over 4x28g Alien set. 4mm ID, 6.5 wraps. They ohm out at about .37 each. Then we have a Mohawk in the middle. 38g over 3x26, 6.5 wraps. This coil comes in at about .33 ohms. The total resistance on the deck is .13 ohms. It's pulsed and the hot spots are eliminated. I'll likely fire this setup somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-250 watts for proper performance. The alloy is all N80. When burning off this setup of coils, the Mohawk heats a touch quicker and a fuzz hotter that the Alien siblings. Wish me luck!
ae154e8da45476abe04aaf759ff7f633.jpg
bb7bc298903f00826cc59bd8ea18efdb.jpg

The Wire Spider
Fantastic!! I Love this <3
Oh, and the Mohawk adds a level of moisture or saturation to the vapor, not present with other build. Fortunately, the long length of the chimney all but eliminates the characteristic spitting of a Mohawk coil! Fabulous!
b1618aadaed1106b4b5aa81bc5cf6508.jpg
45ab902c9c6bacb14f448a4df93c7d0f.jpg

The Wire Spider
You know, I've never liked mohawks because I hate spitters. Couldn't even tell you what they actually vape like because I'm so distracted by the mouth full of ... ahem ... **Best Dr. Evil voice** 'liquid hot mag-mah' ... that I can't enjoy any part of the vape. It never occurred to me to put them in a tank. I'll have to put a set in my back-up G2 and see what it's like. Thanks for the inspiration :D

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Fantastic!! I Love this <3

You know, I've never liked mohawks because I hate spitters. Couldn't even tell you what they actually vape like because I'm so distracted by the mouth full of ... ahem ... **Best Dr. Evil voice** 'liquid hot mag-mah' ... that I can't enjoy any part of the vape. It never occurred to me to put them in a tank. I'll have to put a set in my back-up G2 and see what it's like. Thanks for the inspiration :D
You're very welcome and thank you for your comments WPMac! But from experience let me tell you that you have to have just the right RTA even, to use Mohawks. Spit back is still an issue most of the time, unless the deck allows for coil placement out of the direct opening of the chimney, or the chimney is long enough to negate the spit back, such as in the case of the Titan. On a separate note; I'm really digging this build in the Titan!

The Wire Spider

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was always told (and didn't argue, even with my experience as an automotive electrician) that all coils in a build have to be identical. This fact is true for even numbers of coils, because you don't want to create a resistance bias between coils, as this condition will reek havoc in the electrical and electronic systems from the batteries to circuit board components. The primary issue with resistance bias in coils is that one coil will heat faster than the other, and that causes its own problems. Remember, electricity and water have similar principles in that they flow to the path of least resistance. With an odd number of coils however, bias is avoided because, essentially, the resistance of the median coil is divided evenly in the parallel resistor array, maintaining balance of the current flow, thus; no resistance bias. So, even if that median coil is something altogether different, it makes no difference to the circuit as a whole. Think of two people with three pizzas. They divide the third pizza in half, and both people have the same amount of pizza still, even if 2 pizzas were pepperoni and the divided pizza was sausage with anchovies. Isn't science fun!?

The Wire Spider

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
You're very welcome and thank you for your comments WPMac! But from experience let me tell you that you have to have just the right RTA even, to use Mohawks. Spit back is still an issue most of the time, unless the deck allows for coil placement out of the direct opening of the chimney, or the chimney is long enough to negate the spit back, such as in the case of the Titan. On a separate note; I'm really digging this build in the Titan!

The Wire Spider
Well it can't hurt to try. I've had luck with my tank. I think it's from the center airflow post that pushes a good portion of the vapor towards the walls of the chamber. As well as the fact that the chimney is fairly long and narrow. So, much of the blow-off spittle gets caught on the roof of the chanmber.
IMG_20190712_172333-2.jpg IMG_20190712_172646-2.jpg

I was always told (and didn't argue, even with my experience as an automotive electrician) that all coils in a build have to be identical. This fact is true for even numbers of coils, because you don't want to create a resistance bias between coils, as this condition will reek havoc in the electrical and electronic systems from the batteries to circuit board components. The primary issue with resistance bias in coils is that one coil will heat faster than the other, and that causes its own problems. Remember, electricity and water have similar principles in that they flow to the path of least resistance. With an odd number of coils however, bias is avoided because, essentially, the resistance of the median coil is divided evenly in the parallel resistor array, maintaining balance of the current flow, thus; no resistance bias. So, even if that median coil is something altogether different, it makes no difference to the circuit as a whole. Think of two people with three pizzas. They divide the third pizza in half, and both people have the same amount of pizza still, even if 2 pizzas were pepperoni and the divided pizza was sausage with anchovies. Isn't science fun!?

The Wire Spider
I do not have a degree in circuitry ... But Science is only fun when anchovies aren't involved!!
Seriously though, logic tells me that different resistors should not be problematic at all, from a mechanical standpoint. Take the water/pipe analogy ... if you have a big pipe and a little pipe then they will be fed equally until the smaller one can't handle anymore. Then the bigger pipe will take the excess. In a parallel circuit that just means that 1 resistor is taking more of the load. But I can't see how it hurts anything other than the bigger resistor (lower resistance) being hotter. As far as the circuit is concerned x ohms is x ohms regardless of how it is achieved. Or am I way off base here?

I understand the repercussions on the vapor production. I just don't see how it would mess with the circuit.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
In a single source parallel resistor circuit, such as a dual coil atomizer, then resistor bias has no effect except for the coils themselves. You are correct. But this triple coil setup was kind of a refresher for my dusty "Basic Electrical Principles" mental folder lol!

The Wire Spider

Dana Lucas

Member For 4 Years
Well SHIT!

I quit following this thread in November 2016. Just got caught back up.
I don’t even know what I’m looking at!
Are these designs for flavor or vapor or artwork?
And I thought I was happy with dual claptons! Silly me.
Most of these are just mind-boggling, I’ve twisted some Kanthal a few years back but Jesus! How did these designs get started?
I been looking at these on e-bay and will soon buy some but I don’t know where to start Lol!
Most of these should be blown up to poster size and put in art museums!

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well SHIT!

I quit following this thread in November 2016. Just got caught back up.
I don’t even know what I’m looking at!
Are these designs for flavor or vapor or artwork?
And I thought I was happy with dual claptons! Silly me.
Most of these are just mind-boggling, I’ve twisted some Kanthal a few years back but Jesus! How did these designs get started?
I been looking at these on e-bay and will soon buy some but I don’t know where to start Lol!
Most of these should be blown up to poster size and put in art museums!
Please oh please don't buy coils on Ebay! Please....just...please. Here's a Stitched Mohawk Alien for your aesthetic enjoyment...please...just don't...
c6364ff66790d15ec4eed51e5ae03f73.jpg

The Wire Spider

Dana Lucas

Member For 4 Years
Please oh please don't buy coils on Ebay! Please....just...please

Ok, no e-bay!
I have bought some simple clapton’s from Amazon and they were constructed properly, I’ve been wrapping my own coils for 5 years so I know how to be safe, etc.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Please oh please don't buy coils on Ebay! Please....just...please

Ok, no e-bay!
I have bought some simple clapton’s from Amazon and they were constructed properly, I’ve been wrapping my own coils for 5 years so I know how to be safe, etc.
I'm sure you're a safe vaper! Of that, I have no doubt lol! What I meant was that the people selling coils on Ebay are usually peddling low quality, substandard crap. Many here have learned that the hard way, unfortunately. There are good builders here that can supply your exotic coil wants and needs, in an honest manner, without subjecting yourself to the vultures on Ebay. Welcome back to the VU family by the way!

The Wire Spider

R.Savage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rigged up the goon today. Made a quad 28 gauge dual coil. It is at .18 ohms. Hits really nice.

It is my second attempt at these. Has a couple of kinks when twisting them. But slowly but surely I will get the feel for it.
70e0797e2709dc588fea7a6d98c56a58.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Rigged up the goon today. Made a quad 28 gauge dual coil. It is at .18 ohms. Hits really nice.

It is my second attempt at these. Has a couple of kinks when twisting them. But slowly but surely I will get the feel for it.

2nd attempt, good job. Glad it is vaping good witch is the important part.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I truly wish my second attempt had looked that good lmaooooo! Lookin' good R.Savage!

The Wire Spider

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Cleeaan interlocks bro!:cheers: I haven't made a set of inlerlocks for vaping in a while. I love an interlock fralian. I should do that!!
Practice day... fiddling with a 40g over 5x28g N80 Alien. Going pretty well for not having worked much with 40g wrapping much for awhile.
43846911f63a349a0c6338aa45d62d64.jpg
b3fc8e89093b8c8eb826e9c44e394e64.jpg
823227420fb6ddfa1a0b62038bfacedf.jpg
95dcb87ffc1123c2ef729f0059a4c803.jpg
8123c0e68e30c7c54401ec97bf252050.jpg
b7b3fa748da37ce4ea054d94959b87b5.jpg
4b3ef8e17c5add23ae180a1924f12e57.jpg

The Wire Spider
Big fat single coil!! Nom Nom :popcorn:
Forgot to post these here. Just a High Gauge Staple with Staged Heating.
8 x .4R N90/48g N80, Staged with 24g N90
Reload S RDA

1624a155ce372e812da3da7d9e7b86a0.jpg
cc1f33139e931d1114f6829f8d5da63a.jpg
cf9db79b4bfa847dc0dfbf0897ffb477.jpg
3a1561beecaf1a78ff057c66b52febcf.jpg
Gorgeous top to bottom! That 24g looks GINORMOUS against the 48 :eek:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
40g is hard to work with. Or even feel as it runs.
With practice comes sensitivity and some confidence...It may feel tiny at first, shit I remember when I thought 36g was tiny...but with time and practice it starts to become normal and you adapt to the "feel" of the wire...I suggest start using some 42g for a while, let it frustrate you and then when you go back to using 40g it will feel thick and easier to use.

Want a real challenge, try making an alien with 46g...or higher ;)

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
With practice comes sensitivity and some confidence...It may feel tiny at first, shit I remember when I thought 36g was tiny...but with time and practice it starts to become normal and you adapt to the "feel" of the wire...I suggest start using some 42g for a while, let it frustrate you and then when you go back to using 40g it will feel thick and easier to use.

Want a real challenge, try making an alien with 46g...or higher ;)
38 is about as thin as i go 4 now. Lol

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
They can't all be winners ;)
Maybe try this one again at some point ... but man that's 60ft of wire just in the fuse :cry:
Was supposed to be a micro zipper interlock fralien. It will work ... if I can figure out how to paraclap twisted 40g without killing the twist. May have to do a small portion, like for a hybrid, so I can just hold it from the ends.

ED2019-07-15 17-03-34 (A,Radius4,Smoothing3).jpg

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I don't normally do wireporn only builds. But this one just didn't look good after coiling. Stitch was WAY to loose and sticks up like 10 miles. So just this one is all we get for this build ... and it's not really a great shot either. But it is a minor success, especially when compared to the last attempt lol. Need to tighten it all up just a bit and I'll be happy. May try 1 more round.
6 ply .3/28 Ni80, 40g micro-zipper Ni80+SS316L, .2 KA1 stitch.
PicsArt_07-17-03.16.19.jpg

R.Savage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't normally do wireporn only builds. But this one just didn't look good after coiling. Stitch was WAY to loose and sticks up like 10 miles. So just this one is all we get for this build ... and it's not really a great shot either. But it is a minor success, especially when compared to the last attempt lol. Need to tighten it all up just a bit and I'll be happy. May try 1 more round.
6 ply .3/28 Ni80, 40g micro-zipper Ni80+SS316L, .2 KA1 stitch.
View attachment 142828
That looks really awesome.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Finally got around to installing the 8 core from a few weeks ago. Here's a couple pre-fire shots.
28/38 Ni80 (at least i think it was ni80 lol), .27 ohms, 4mm serial install in the golem.

The second one may very well be, what I consider, the cleanest shot I've ever taken.

PicsArt_07-18-03.47.58.jpg PicsArt_07-18-05.48.50.jpg

Last edited:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Finally got around to installing the 8 core from a few weeks ago. Here's a couple pre-fire shots.
28/38 Ni80 (at least i think it was ni80 lol), haven't check resistance or anything, 4mm serial install in the golem.

The second one may very well be, what I consider, the cleanest shot I've ever taken.

View attachment 142871 View attachment 142872
Very cool. Is that what would be considered a bridge coil? If it is, what is the advantage of a bridge coil?From what I vaguely recall, the bridge part of a bridge coil is not supposed to be conductive (or minimally conductive). I don’t have a great understanding of how that plays out resistance wise and/or if it’s even practical for vaping, but I’m curious and regardless, I really like the build it looks great.:popcorn: Oh and your photography is also tremendous.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Very cool. Is that what would be considered a bridge coil? If it is, what is the advantage of a bridge coil?From what I vaguely recall, the bridge part of a bridge coil is not supposed to be conductive (or minimally conductive). I don’t have a great understanding of how that plays out resistance wise and/or if it’s even practical for vaping, but I’m curious and regardless, I really like the build it looks great.:popcorn: Oh and your photography is also tremendous.
I am not 100% sure on the vocabulary honestly. I call these installs 'serial' from the OG round wire builds. But I'm pretty sure most people call this a bridge. They are definitely vapable. Depending on the distance between the coils, they will give you a bit less resistance than doing a traditional single coil, with the same amount of wraps, and a bit more resistance than doing a dual coil since you aren't loosing the bridge/lead in the lead hole. This monster comes in at .27 ohms. The drawback is less surface area since the 'bridge' does not contribute to vapor production. Basically it's just one long lead. As far as performance ... I honestly don't know. I haven't experimented much with them. I did a little playing a long time ago with round wire. But not enough to really have a good understanding of the performance trade offs.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive vaped a few of my bridges, it was a requirement of the Dotmod buildoff a long ass time ago and it did pretty well, as long as you dont mind some HOT juice hitting the back of your throat. I miss doing these crazy things...I hope these help inspire someone.

Some examples:

16230515_738159246351050_1302689720047763456_n.jpg
14515656_1818982304991680_6054173015539712000_n.jpg
14547784_631905723644745_8626968583164919808_n.jpg
14582342_278194089240656_7033592693385068544_n.jpg
14369081_1806928319590885_5615137227999805440_n.jpg
18512500_592406294296412_2145403088532406272_n.jpg
17493553_270999353353455_905830588663988224_n.jpg
25023832_376265552820752_5602571712764837888_n.jpg
42721039_1142243962594221_8707649512780237401_n.jpg
43698090_948072995390774_4849196257466063774_n.jpg

An idea of how it glows:

16228820_1797611913824958_3345056062112792576_n.jpg

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Ive vaped a few of my bridges, it was a requirement of the Dotmod buildoff a long ass time ago and it did pretty well, as long as you dont mind some HOT juice hitting the back of your throat. I miss doing these crazy things...I hope these help inspire someone.

Some examples:

16230515_738159246351050_1302689720047763456_n.jpg
14515656_1818982304991680_6054173015539712000_n.jpg
14547784_631905723644745_8626968583164919808_n.jpg
14582342_278194089240656_7033592693385068544_n.jpg
14369081_1806928319590885_5615137227999805440_n.jpg
18512500_592406294296412_2145403088532406272_n.jpg
17493553_270999353353455_905830588663988224_n.jpg
25023832_376265552820752_5602571712764837888_n.jpg
42721039_1142243962594221_8707649512780237401_n.jpg
43698090_948072995390774_4849196257466063774_n.jpg

An idea of how it glows:

16228820_1797611913824958_3345056062112792576_n.jpg
Love it all man!! I wish I had the eye for stuff like this. I always say 'I don't do well in a sandbox'. I'm better at mimicry then outright innovation. I have a hard time envisioning the outcome of a project. I can take what's in front of me and envision it in a different way. But I need something to work from. I'm typically an inspiree not an inspirerer. So, I will take all this loveliness in front of me and be inspired!

VU Sponsors