Become a Patron!

Prepped to ride out hurricane Irma

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A tip I just picked up on Facebook. If you have a dishwasher, put all of your important belongings/paperwork/photo albums, etc., in it and lock it. It's watertight and protected between the cabinets and should keep them all safe.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Damn must be an important job to be required to stay there and ride it out! Stay safe and good luck

My sister-in-law and her husband have to stay. She actually got called in to work today. She's a safety officer for the city bus. Now why the hell would she be called in to work today when it's about to hit landfall and there were mandatory evacuations in place. They aren't going to be buses running. :(

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
She actually got called in to work today. She's a safety officer for the city bus. Now why the hell would she be called in to work today when it's about to hit landfall and there were mandatory evacuations in place.

Maybe they will be put into Emergence Service to evacuate people who stayed or could not leave? Diesel buses can run in deep water and hope she and all the rest are safe!

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Another great tip!!!

Freeze a cup of water, place a quarter on top of the frozen water. That way when you come back or have a power outage you can track whether or not all your frozen food is wasted. If the quarter is still on top or in the middle, then most if not all of your food is safe. If the quarter is on the bottom then you need to throw out all that food.

Be safe!!!

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
21317509_1691667564185381_6254677038332213669_n.jpg

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A tip I just picked up on Facebook. If you have a dishwasher, put all of your important belongings/paperwork/photo albums, etc., in it and lock it. It's watertight and protected between the cabinets and should keep them all safe.
best tip have seen is put all of your paperwork in a foodsaver bags. most of our lives are digital now so it shouldn't be a big deal now. (ps,, you can buy the bags,, and squeeze the air out and seal the bag with an iron, cig lighter, stove burner, curling iron if you dont have the machine)

below is my current 'paperwork baggage'......i fully embrace the digital age :)

2 ss cards
2 birth certs
1 marriage cert
2 auto titles
1 house title/deed (about 4 pages)
1 adoption paperwork (pops adopted me when i was 37-lol)

everything else is on the net,, taxes, insurance, bank and broker docs. (backups on 2 usb sticks including every single photo)

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hopefully they remembered to wash the windows outside the house also
lol,,,i wonder what she was thinking >>>>>>???????????,, i mean i could see it if some random can of paint flew across the car,,,,,,and even then i would have to think about it since it appears i may lose the car.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
lol,,,i wonder what she was thinking >>>>>>???????????,, i mean i could see it if some random can of paint flew across the car,,,,,,and even then i would have to think about it since it appears i may lose the car.

Probably did it after sweeping the porch and walkway :crazy:

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
When I went through hurricane Sandy living in a suburb on Long Island, I didn't get my power back for 2 and a half weeks. What saved was one, having a gas hot water heater with a mechanical thermostat so I was good there and two, a couple of marine deep discharge batteries with a power inverter. I was able to run some low watt LED lights and keep my phone and tablet charged. I wasn't vaping back then, but it was still nice to have light and some connection to the outside world. Good luck to all down there.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I made this a few years back.. Solar power bank, at 5v it has about 100,000mah, charges either off of a 20w solar panel or 110v power..

I remember seeing this a while ago! Still looks great and maybe you should look into a Patent?

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i stepped outside for a moment during ike,,,,,at 2am,, and nearly got whacked with flying shingles.............right back into the house and gave myself the standard 'you idiot' lecture

Ike was not fun. My mother lost everything and the two+ weeks without power sucked. Of course Harvey was not fun either.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, so far so good. Lost power a few hours ago, but no apparent damage here at work or at home so far. We are about to go through the strongest winds in the next couple hours. Right now it sounds like a semi truck driving by constantly out there. Went outside a few minutes ago and that wind is pretty fucking strong already.

And yeah, I'm vaping indoors tonight!
7041d53eece515f166405adea09e74ac.jpg
679b5eef8f300df5664463e24cf3d7fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ike was not fun. My mother lost everything and the two+ weeks without power sucked. Of course Harvey was not fun either.
we also lost everything in Ike and no power for 6 weeks,, FEMA refused our neighborhood trailers but gave them to the next neighborhood. today fema people get all kinds of help.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, we made it through with no injuries & no damage to our home. I can't really complain too much, but going without power in FL in the middle of summer really sucks! But some of our neighbors did not fare so well. A few large trees fell through a few houses in our neighborhood. This storm really was no joke! I see people online saying it was "only a cat 2 in central FL", but that is catastrophic for inland. We aren't prepared for that kind of storm here. It could've been much worse, but this was bad enough.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VU Sponsors