Become a Patron!

Problem with Voopoo Drag X

cmccarthy7128

Member For 3 Years
VU Patreon
I have a Voopoo Drag X. Recently it has been registering a low battery warning when it shouldn't. It seems to only happen when I am vaping at higher wattage,,( 65-75) . Does anyone have any ideas

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You're using that device at almost its maximum capacity. When I get that message on my VT75 mod, it means that my battery has discharged to the point that it's not actually able to produce the wattage I've dialed in.

It may be as simple as you are just letting the battery get too close to dead before recharging. It wouldn't act the same if you were vaping at, say, 40 watts.

Also, for vaping at watts that high in a single 18650 device, you need a really, really good battery. I probably wouldn't put anything less than a Samsung 20S to work for that.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Get new n better batteries

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have a Voopoo Drag X. Recently it has been registering a low battery warning when it shouldn't. It seems to only happen when I am vaping at higher wattage,,( 65-75) . Does anyone have any ideas

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Are you charging the batteries with an external charger or with the USB cord?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're using that device at almost its maximum capacity. When I get that message on my VT75 mod, it means that my battery has discharged to the point that it's not actually able to produce the wattage I've dialed in.

It may be as simple as you are just letting the battery get too close to dead before recharging. It wouldn't act the same if you were vaping at, say, 40 watts.

Also, for vaping at watts that high in a single 18650 device, you need a really, really good battery. I probably wouldn't put anything less than a Samsung 20S to work for that.
This is the answer. :)

On a regulated mod, the board sees the resistance of the build and calculates how much voltage will be required to produce the set wattage at that resistance.

Assuming adequate amperage in the power source/battery, the board sends the required voltage. If the board does not detect the required amperage in the batteries to support that voltage, it returns whatever error it is programmed to return in that circumstance.

Hence, you need a higher amp power source. :)

Really if you want to vape much over 50 watts all the time, use a mod that uses a single 21700 or dual 18650s. I mean it will fire higher, but not for very long.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've had this problem with old batteries. The voltage sag on the battery gets so bad after a half hour of usage that it triggers the mod's low battery protection to kick in.

Some mods will react differently than others. Some will let you keep firing because the bottom end of the sag is really quick while others are programmed to not let you fire at all once it's sees that dip.

Also, realize that some mods' electronics are just less efficient than others, causing the sag to be even greater than it would be with the same batt on another mod at the same wattage and resistance.

Try that same batt on another mod and try another batt on the Drag to help isolate the issue.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you are using a PnP-VM6 coil at 65-75 Watts you must be burning your lips~! I use a PnP-VM6 at 30-35 Watts in a Drag MAX.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Samsung 20s, several of them handy/nearby, in an external charger, for like office or work building use or for short stints out and about.. But only if you like the device enough to warrant that. Otherwise there's better options imo. If you used the rba you could most likely improve over the runtime of the 20s buy adjusting the resistance and using a different battery, and this would better keep you in the safe vaping zone, rather than down to the mod telling you no with its error message.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If you are using a PnP-VM6 coil at 65-75 Watts you must be burning your lips~! I use a PnP-VM6 at 30-35 Watts in a Drag MAX.

I have 0.3 ohm coils in the RTA for the Drag X and don't have to run it over 35 watts. I can't imagine what kind of contraption would have enough air to vape on a Drag X or Max at 70 watts.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have 0.3 ohm coils in the RTA for the Drag X and don't have to run it over 35 watts. I can't imagine what kind of contraption would have enough air to vape on a Drag X or Max at 70 watts.

I have only run the PnP-M6 .15Ω coils at 35W Max when I was outside and the Temperature was 40 or below. When the tank goes low at 30W it spits hot e-Liquid and is a reminder to fill the tank. I can't even imagine what vaping at the 60-80 Watts these coils are rated for. I run most of my coils under the recommended and some at 25% of what they say.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have only run the PnP-M6 .15Ω coils at 35W Max when I was outside and the Temperature was 40 or below. When the tank goes low at 30W it spits hot e-Liquid and is a reminder to fill the tank. I can't even imagine what vaping at the 60-80 Watts these coils are rated for. I run most of my coils under the recommended and some at 25% of what they say.

One of the things that makes vaping as complex as it is, and I know I'm not telling you anything new, is that there's variability in every device or device combination, and every vaper.

The example that has really shocked me recently is this Haar RTA clone that I got from FT or 3F, someplace. I have 0.22 ohm coil in it, a parallel SS 26ga round wire coil, and it is vaping great at 27.5W. I thought I'd have to give it at least 35W, possibly closer to 38, but no. I played with it and tried it every which way, and 27.5W is where it's happy, at least with this mocha e-liquid I have in it. Btw, it's on a Vaporesso Armour Pro mod, so a single 21700.

VU Sponsors