Become a Patron!

Procedure when showing interest in a posted item?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is there any rule or unspoken code of conduct that says a person must state publicly that they are PMing somebody about an interest in their post?

I see "PM sent" a lot and am wondering if that's what we're SUPPOSED to do, or is it ok to just pm them without saying that you've done so publicly?

It never really occurred to me until today in a conversation with a friend here and has nothing to do with any transaction of mine,

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Good practice to, shows other people you are interested as a placeholder so no arguments break out as to who got there first imo

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Posting in a thread allows you to leave seller feedback without having to start a feedback thread. Of course, if the seller has more than one item for sale, then one will need to be started, anyway.
What I mean is, if somebody posts something for sale, do we just PM them that we're interested, or should we also say that we have done so in the sale thread?

Like Kingpin was addressing. Or am I misunderstanding you ?
...so no arguments break out as to who got there first imo
This is the point I was after.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What I mean is, if somebody posts something for sale, do we just PM them that we're interested, or should we also say that we have done so in the sale thread?

Sure, you can just PM them. If 2 people pm the same item, I'd assume the seller would go by the time stamp.

I get a lot of PM's from people asking why they can't leave feedback, so I suppose that's why I posted my response. If someone doesn't post in a sale thread, they can't use that thread to post feedback, thus leaving one of the members to start a "feedback thread" anyway.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to agree: the thread is where you show [ordered] interest; the PM is a followup [1st]; the OP can reply in timestamp-order, and even give someone N hours to reply before moving on to the next. The public thread is then a useful queue/info mechanism for sellers and buyers, while the PM's are the privacy "pipes".

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If it's something you want then i'd PM them anyway.

Just because someone sent a PM before you doesn't mean they bought the item.

I have seen "PM sent" in a sale thread and then the seller come back a post or two later with "Item's still for sale" loads of times.

You really don't have to type a "PM sent" post because it's on the seller to tell everyone when the item is sold but some people do.

It's up to you.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I say pm inbound or someyhins like that to show interest publicly. N it marks the time. Also if its a good or larger sale i know lots of pm start flowing in n may slip by un noticed at first.
I just feel it is the nice thing to do, so i do it.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I say pm inbound or someyhins like that to show interest publicly. N it marks the time. Also if its a good or larger sale i know lots of pm start flowing in n may slip by un noticed at first.
I just feel it is the nice thing to do, so i do it.

I kinda do the same, except I PM first and say PM sent in the thread - I just like to be first if it's something I really want to get in on

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
my boy g started this thread during discussions we had in PM's.

I dib'd a mod, publicly. 1 1/2hrs later someone 2nd dib'd it. all good. 2nd poster also PM at the same time. a while later the seller came online. 1hr 20min later, I still get no reply from him. so I though the 2nd, or someone else had either PM'd before me or behind my back. trying to pull the mod out from under me.

my view on claiming dibs = publicly always comes first. it's out in the open for all to see, integrity and honesty.
PM'ing alone can be shady, not always, but sometimes.

now, saying that. the seller can an to pound sand and sell to whomever they want. but that just isn't fair.

damn computer is messing up. the seller can tell anyone^

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I say dibs publicly works. But needs to be backed up immediately with pm. Its like a handshake to seal the sale.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

Personally, I do both.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"Hm." *Reserves the right to comment further later, if he can work out his thoughts. Also reserves the right to not comment further.*

ETA 2022-11-27T7-20 -500:EST: "Hm, still. Apologies. I think the subject warrants' discussion. That aside, cannot aptly dredge myself a clear line of thought upon the matter which can be articulated plainly. Doubt that I shall, ergo I'll merely sigh and say hm."

Last edited:

VU Sponsors