Become a Patron!

PSA: Lost Vape Furyan mods - Venting Issue

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Will get pictures later if needed. For now want some information out to help avoid issue.

Got a 20700 battery out of my Lost Vape Furyan mod just now. It had been "stuck" in the mod about a month.

I saw no smoke. Without a sense of smell I did not smell anything. The mod never got hot to touch.

The battery was stuck due to some plastic up around the positive contact. That plastic apparently had grabbed on to the "button" of the battery's positive end. In doing that the battery could not break contact.

Once this inability to break contact set in, the battery went into a slow gradual venting. It kept an open circuit, kept "firing" and that further melted the plastic from the mod's contact point. Which then left the battery "stuck".

Not sure how it may have been designed otherwise. Do note it ought to have been designed so that plastic was not there, if there so that a battery positive end would not get caught. Pretty sure I didn't gorilla force the battery into the mod. Ergo, don't think I broke the contact area.

Alright, information out there. Y'all be careful.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had the black/silver version of that mod a couple of years ago and used it daily. Always ran a 21700 in it, never had an issue. The one time I tried a 20700 I didn't like how I had to max out cap depth to get the battery tight.

It's advertised as a 18650/21700 mod, they likely left 20700 off that for a reason.

No idea if this contributed to your issue, but worth mentioning.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's advertised as a 18650/21700 mod, they likely left 20700 off that for a reason.

Yeah, double checked the battery it is a 21700. Apologies for saying it was a 20700.
Yes, version I had too was/is black/silver.

Last edited:

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, double checked the battery it is a 21700. Apologies for saying it was a 20700.
Yes, version I had too was/is black/silver.
That's interesting, that mod came out 4 years ago and I've never heard of any issues like that. Like I said above, I used mine daily for quite a while and I know many others here own one.

I guess it could've been the mod, can't rule out a battery issue as well.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Other than normal cleaning i have had no issue with either of mine.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
See the silver screw head in the center of black in pics below. There is an outer ring, then a silver ring, black ring, screw head. The black appears to have been plastic. May have been a rubber/silicone o-ring. Not sure precisely what material it was prior to incident. Upon getting the battery out the material was stuck around the "button" portion of the battery in the pic of the batteries below.

The material was brittle, crumbled easily. It had been fused seemingly chemically to the battery. Recall how the Innokin tank with poly-carbonate appeared to respond to having a mint flavor in it. The poly-carb fused to the metal part of the tank, erg, had to "crack" it to get it loose.

At any rate the material having fused seems to have held the battery to the center "contact" screw. That caused there to be an open circuit which then triggered venting as the battery isn't meant to fire continuous. Still rather befuddled the mod didn't heat up. No sense of smell so did not notice the chemical odors if there were any.

MOLI-P42A_2__57109.1667419994.jpg

315301014_1329383734466042_5215507033382198528_n.jpg315294586_3408152492787984_1768100037160786028_n.jpg

Not attempting to be contrary, argue, debate. Only offering information from my own experience. Glad others have not had any issue/s. Guess I got a bum mod, or maybe it was an "after market" --- "add on". I don't know. That's my best honest guess at it. What I do know is the battery got stuck. I had to whack it on my stool of wood to get the battery to break lose. It then slid right out. I noted the black material.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Been a while since I used it, longer since having it apart.
Looks like a flat rubber washer surrounds the pin.
Looks like the batt shorted from worn washer.
What does the top of the batt look like.
Possible to overtighten those type batt [doors] and cave + on batt.
A 2.0 driver and 4 mins you should see. Clean it 🤦‍♂️ :D

1668180147204.jpeg
blurry

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
At any rate the material having fused seems to have held the battery to the center "contact" screw. That caused there to be an open circuit which then triggered venting as the battery isn't meant to fire continuous.
The button makes the circuit. Both ends of the battery are always making contact. What caused the open circuit is the [+ or one of its supporting wings] touching metal it shouldn't. Up there where the mod's insulator deteriorated.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
New plan.

What we're looking at is part of the body.
1668185287312.jpeg
1668185408328.jpeg
1668185555277.jpeg

Take 21700 and mod body to hw store and get flat hard rubber washers that covers the top of the batt, minus the + end part. Much like the batteries top insulator but could be even smaller inside dia. than an insulator becasue you only want the mod's pin exposed. Outside dia as needed.

Get a few, maybe slightly bigger/smaller and differing thicknesses, just in case. Not so thick the + pin won't contact. Also get an appropriate sized rat tail file.

File out a round part of the body needed to fit the washer. Could put washer on mod, keeping it centered, and trace a line then file to it, checking fit as you go.

Edit. Need yours apart to see exactly what's going on.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Looks like a flat rubber washer surrounds the pin.
Looks like the batt shorted from worn washer.

Can see without tearing the mod apart. Yes, it was the battery washer.

Possible to overtighten those type batt [doors] and cave + on batt.

Yep, that is very likely what happened in this case. No, I wouldn't recall twisting the battery door too tight. May not think I had yet did.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Battery washer...? There's no washer on the mod.
Did you take it apart?

Are you saying this is the batt insulator?
1668191020058.png

The black ring looks like the mods body, and looks deformed.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Did you take it apart?

View attachment 199252

Yep, looks to be the insulator/washer.

I need to find a proper bit to get the mod apart. With what you suggested regarding tightening the battery door, mention of washer/insulator on the batteries that makes sense logically. I would have tightened the door far without realizing I did.

ETA: Did get it apart. Figure I'll need to buy a new one, that is if I want another. Doubtful I'll get it back together. The plastic under the 510 area was all brittle. The metal on top was seemingly fused. Not sure if it was the battery washer/insulator or part of the mod. Going to figure it was a battery washer, seems to keener logically.

Now, I know to sort through Allen wrenches. Found one to remove the long set screws. Thought I required a torque driver bit. *chuckles*

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Can we see pics of the damage?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Can we see pics of the damage?
Yeah, soon as the email gets sent through. Take pics on phone and email to myself to get them on to computer. Lolly "smart phone" decided for whatever reason to switch to plane mode. *smh* Love technology.

IMG_20221111_205319.jpg

Checked the black ring around the positive contact. It did appear to be from insulator on battery. These are decent mods for sure. <imho> Not sure I'll have another though. No point ruining enjoyment by being afraid of tightening battery door too far. That "too far" is arbitrary without a person knowing where it exists. Would need to fret every time. Good mods but not at that kind of expense.

Conversely, I suppose it might happen with any mod. But to ponder, ...</imho>

Attachments

• IMG_20221111_205333.jpg
    IMG_20221111_205333.jpg
    1,008.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20221111_205439.jpg
    IMG_20221111_205439.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221111_210448.jpg
    IMG_20221111_210448.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221111_205652.jpg
    IMG_20221111_205652.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, soon as the email gets sent through. Take pics on phone and email to myself to get them on to computer. Lolly "smart phone" decided for whatever reason to switch to plane mode. *smh* Love technology.

View attachment 199262

Checked the black ring around the positive contact. It did appear to be from insulator on battery. These are decent mods for sure. <imho> Not sure I'll have another though. No point ruining enjoyment by being afraid of tightening battery door too far. That "too far" is arbitrary without a person knowing where it exists. Would need to fret every time. Good mods but not at that kind of expense.

Conversely, I suppose it might happen with any mod. But to ponder, ...</imho>

I did the same thing once, by tightening a telescoping tube mod too tight. Don't beat yourself up too much, just pay a little more attention to the cap as you tighten it. You can feel it, when everything begins to make contact.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I did the same thing once, by tightening a telescoping tube mod too tight. Don't beat yourself up too much, just pay a little more attention to the cap as you tighten it. You can feel it, when everything begins to make contact.

I know crap happens. Yes, can accept that. Still feel a bit foolish when I "miss" something like that. We all probably do. The fuss is, "oh come on now, I'm better than that."

Ah well, what can we make o' it? No more than t'is, no less either, t'will be what t'will be.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Can't see a thing but, as you wish.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Did you take it apart?

View attachment 199252

That pic was the damage. Sorry my other pictures were a bit blurry. The top portion under the metal plate was blistered, brittle plastic. There was one solid piece of plastic under the top plate. It come apart into two pieces.

There was the bit under the 510 connection and the bit for the positive contact. Both sides were brittle and crumbled in my fingers. The material which come from the center ring seemed to have a bit of casing material around it. Looked to have been the battery insulator.

Got another 21700 which still has an insulator as well as 18650s that do. Not too far a leap to figure the one in the Furyan did. Logically as you suggested I could "see" that insulator having gotten stuck from tightening the battery cap too much. Live and learn for me. If I did tighten that much, it was unwittingly and unawares.

Taking the mod apart didn't break it. Yes, it made it so I could not fit it back together. That was done though in part more from the blistered and brittle plastic top.Which that come from the battery having a slow, undetected venting, again from my apparent tightening the cap too much. In essence, "shit happens." I don' exactly feel good I missed tightening too much, or the venting.

What can I do? Learn more so that "shit happens" & to keep a better watchful eye out for it. Use a bit more caution. Ultimately can admit this wasn't really an issue of the mod,
rather a user error. Still a good PSA "watch yourselves, be careful."

Don't get over confident using mechanical mods.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors