Become a Patron!

Questions about mixing

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Okay so I got some 90/10 6mg base and some flavor concentrates by The Flavor Apprentice from a member on here for the price of shipping, and I have a few questions before I mix up some juice.

I looked up the TFA concentrates and they are made with PG, so I was thinking that a 90/10 base mixed with 15% flavor concentrate would make a 75/25 juice at 5.1mg.

Is my thinking on this correct and is the amount of flavoring too high? Can I simply weigh 85 grams of the base and 15 grams of the flavoring? I’m am unsure of usage rates of the flavorings so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

The flavors that I have are strawberries and cream, pineapple ( juicy), caramel ( original), and wintergreen. I don’t exactly see these going together in any way, but if any mixmasters have any ideas let me know. I was going to start with just the strawberries and cream.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!!!

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of DIY mixing. You have the right idea... and (if you are like me) you don't have to obsess over the exact amounts of the final mix (but the % of each flavor is important) You can't just assume you will use 15% of flavors (they are all different... a single flavor or combinations of flavors) I'm sending you a PM (conversation) and including a list I found of TFA flavor % (these are for single/solo flavors) When you combine several flavors it's a little different (really depends on your recipe) We cac talk about that later ;)
BTW, please mention VG/PG when talking about the ratio (old school is PG first but now most people use more VG so it's VG first) I assume you mean 90 VG/10 PG. This should work great with flavors made with PG (most are)
I might send you a few flavors (someone else here gave me several) if you cover shipping. We will talk about that in PMs.
You mentioned grams... I assume you are making 100 ml batches. The easy way to do this is just use a scale to add flavor(s) and top off the rest (without using the scale) to the desired (100 ml) final amount. It will be close enough (VG is actually heavier so using grams will not be correct anyway)
It helps to leave some air space (headroom) in the bottle so you can shake it well. I know I'm throwing a bunch of stuff at you... I'm just excited to see a new mixer here :)
Check out BCF:
https://www.bullcityflavors.com/

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
That’s awesome buddy thanks, and yeah the base is 90/10 VG/PG and I have quite a bit of it, close to a gallon. I’m glad that the ratio is good for adding the flavors because they are mainly PG based, and that the nic percentage is a bit higher so it won’t drop down too low with the additives.

I’m a cook so I understand flavor profiles pretty well and I’m guessing that eventually I’ll be able to create some great recipes. I also like that you mentioned not to obsess about the final VG/PG ratio too much as I kinda already felt that way about it.

I’ll probably get some PG eventually though so I can make some adjustments. I’m super excited cause I bet it will taste great and save me a bunch of money. I love doing DIY stuff and it gives me another fun aspect of vaping. Wrapping my own coils is next on my list, claptons, aliens, etc.!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try around 8% for the strawberries and cream. It will need a steep (a few days to taste right)
And shake the 🤬 out of it after it's combined...you want to see micro-bubbles...oxygenation and mixing..

Technically..you can 'speed steep' by nuking the juice for a few seconds...with the caps off...just to warm it and burn off alcohols and etc.. YMMV.....But if you use alcohol based flavors, it can help.

DO NOT Microwave in any clear bottles...that's PET or PETE...it'll melt. I use a Pyrex measuring cylinder from Dollar Tree.. ;)

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And shake the fuck out of it after it's combined
Yes... at first (after mixing) I will shake it, next time I go into my room shake it again (and several more times) It sucks that you are also oxidizing the nic but really helps everything "meld" together. Then let it sit a few days (maybe one shake a day for good luck)
Microwave... not for me! I have done what I call a "pocket steep" (small batches that I put in my pocket... extra warmth and shake it often)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*sits reading looking a bit quizzical, finally shrugs, sighs* "Hmm."
*not a mix master, used to cook some but has since gotten away from it -- my Hmm, is "just reading and taking it in"*

Distracting my knee from my mind.

VU Sponsors