Become a Patron!

Rayon wicking... how tight?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
On another forum, I got into a debate: yes, cotton wick does expand (swells) but I said that rayon does not "shrink"... it does not expand but also does not "shrink" that much. Everyone said I was wrong... rayon shrinks. I disagree... it doesn't expand like cotton, but also doesn't shrink (met with much disagreement about that) So I took their advice and and stuffed the heck out of my RTA (Lemo2) It has small e-juice ports (I knew that but that;s why I use rayon... this RTA needs that) My question is...
Does Rayon "shrink" or just not expand like cotton? I feel it does not but others say it does. Now, I am forced to "primer puff" like hell to even get a decent vape. No "dry hits" but I have had better results before with this RTA. Bottom line... are they wrong and I didn't need to super stuff that coil (to the point I could barely get the rayon through the coil... twisting and fighting it all the way?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Short question: does Rayon shrink or not? I feel that is does not (but agree cotton does expand)

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rayon will compact a bit when wet, but does not shrink.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

ProlineVaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
I use rayon all the time and agree that it doesn't shrink. I dont super pack my RTA coils and it hits like a dream! I think rayon absorbs juice easier and faster than cotton. I never get dry hits when using it.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wick it however it works best for you.
Haven't used the Lemo 2 in awhile, but did dremmel/enlarge the chimney juice ports for 25/75vg juice.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I run rayon on everything other than mesh attys. It gets a lil smaller when saturated. I like it to be a lil tighter in the coil than when I wick with cotton.

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I’d say as it gets wet then pulls all the loose fibers in or consolidates. I think most of this observation is due to cotton expansion. Someone is used to seeing cotton expand and noticing the difference when using rayon. So In conclusion, cotton expands, and rayon consolidates. This conclusion was passed down to me from the vape gods on high and should be treated as such.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you all for the responses. It does not expand like cotton, but doesn't actually shrink (I'm going with that) I use cotton too in other RTAs so this wasn't meant to be a cotton vs rayon thread.
LOL... I even considered using a dremel tool and opening the juice ports (I have three of these so might actually try that on one... I'm very good with tools) I took the advice of others and stuffed the coil (same coil I have done before... simple 26 ga, 3mm ID, 7.5 wraps) and noticed the flavor is lacking. No leaking (but figured out as long as I close the air flow when filling this isn't an issue anyway) I forgot to mention... when I go to re-wick, the rayon is very hard to get out of the coil (have to twist/pull just like when putting the wick in) That's why I am now convinced it doesn't "shrink" but also doesn't expand ("swell") Every other person argued with the and insisted it shrinks so I went OCD and made it so tight I ended up with no flavor (confirmed this by vaping the same juice in a "drop-in" tank coil (Zlide) I will try again and make it "snug" in the coil but not crazy tight. This was important to me because I have three of these RTAs.
I could also just use cotton... (I have lot's of both) but my first try with this RTA using cotton did not wick well.
Ironically, I have another RTA that has the opposite issue... tends to leak (Silverplay... great flavor if you get it right but that's another topic)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I run rayon on everything other than mesh attys. It gets a lil smaller when saturated. I like it to be a lil tighter in the coil than when I wick with cotton.

I agree with this ^^^ and will say that I've had good experience with rayon but I would not use it in an RTA that is prone to leak if not really stuffed with cotton. I wouldn't use it in my Zeus X, for example.

I did observe that it wicks juice up faster. Maybe I'll try rayon in my Juggerknot Mini, that hateful little biotch.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I should have mentioned that I used rayon in this RTA before and it was fine (once I learned to close the air-flow when re-filling) It loves rayon (but as I said, not all of my RTAs do) So I was right all along and just got psyched by others insisting that I go nuts overstuffing my coil. Will re-wick this week-end (my usual way) Yes... the rayon needs to be somewhat tight but there is a point where this backfires.
Also going to re-wick my Silverplay this week-end (but with cotton) I am running low on drop-in coils so need to get my game on with rebuildables (have several RTAs, RDAs and RBAs) RDAs seem very forgiving but we will see with these small RBAs... I'm sure I will be back on this thread for advice about them.
Good news is I have lot's of cotton and rayon.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just wanted to mention... I have no preference between cotton and rayon (seems to depend on the RTA... or the RDA but have less experience with those) Thank you all for not making this a cotton vs rayon debate but if anyone wants to throw their opinion in on that I don't mind. I'm going to be building several things for the first time soon. What I'm saying is I feel this topic is good for me for now... but if you want to take advantage of this thread... well go for it.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
An oldie but a goodie... pbusardo's wick testing.

I personally use KGD mostly. I sometimes use Cotton Bacon Prime. I find KGD is a little easier to work with and get a consistent wick. I have used rayon in the past and I found it caused me to cough. When I used the rayon I may have put it in as a slightly tighter wick, but not super tight.

As I always say: that's the beauty of vaping, you get to make it the way that work's for you.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've seen that video. I'll be honest, rayon "may" wick better but I'm starting to wonder if there are issues with flavor. I might actually try cotton again in this RTA and see how it goes.

VU Sponsors