Become a Patron!

Rba mini plus, advice?

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I bought a subox mini kit, it came with a mini plus rba. I've watched youtube videos, but have no clue what I need to build a .5 ohm rba coil.

Any advice to get me started with rebuilding is very appreciated. I'm a total noob at this.

LOL good point... as one last off topic point.. there are some coil building starter kits on Amazon

Ok, lol I'll have to check them out. I'm not even sure what gauge of wire I need yet. I'm brand spanking new at this.

The videos I'm checking out on youtube don't show what gauge of wire they are using. They just show how to thread the wick thru the coil and prime it. I want to learn how to wrap my coils, what to wrap them around, how to read them, and what supplies I need to get started. Basically I need to dedicate some more time to deeper research on a .5 ohm build for a mini plus deck.

For now I'm using expensive ass manufactored kanger coils. Lmao. :p

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Start simple at first. First thing is head over here: http://www.steam-engine.org/ This site will do the math for you for figuring out the coil resistance. I plugged in dual 26 gauge Kanthal A1 2.5 mm Inside Diameter (ID) and 0.5 ohms. That says use an 9/8 wrap. What that means is you will see 9 wraps on the top side of the coil and 8 wraps where the leads are coming out.

I'm not familiar with the Kanger subox so I don't know if it displays coil resistance or not. If it doesn't you will need to get a ohm meter to check out your builds so you don't make a short circuit and go boom. I would get an ohm meter anyway. Coil-Master makes a good builders kit that has their coiling tool, an ohm meter, wire cutters, pliers, screw driver, ceramic tweezers, and I think scissors. If you want instant gratification you can get the tools at Home Depot or WalMart. A set of jeweler's screwdrivers are good to wrap a coil on, some cutters, and some pliers and/or tweezers would get your going if your Kanger reads resistance. If there is a vape shop near you they may have Kanthal you can buy. The FDA doesn't let them build your coils or even show you how now. Freaking FDA assholes...

For wire I found 26 gauge was easy to work with as a beginner and there are lots of places to buy it. Lightening Vapes is on Amazon and their own website. Tempco Industrial has good wire as does KbeeVapes. Get yourself a spool of 24, 26, and 28 gauge Kanthal A1 to start, you will use them and they don't expire. You can move on to different gauges and kinds of wire as you gain experience.

There are lots of YouTube videos on coil building, watch those while you are waiting for your stuff to arrive. Have fun, it's not as hard as it sounds.

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Start simple at first. First thing is head over here: http://www.steam-engine.org/ This site will do the math for you for figuring out the coil resistance. I plugged in dual 26 gauge Kanthal A1 2.5 mm Inside Diameter (ID) and 0.5 ohms. That says use an 9/8 wrap. What that means is you will see 9 wraps on the top side of the coil and 8 wraps where the leads are coming out.

I'm not familiar with the Kanger subox so I don't know if it displays coil resistance or not. If it doesn't you will need to get a ohm meter to check out your builds so you don't make a short circuit and go boom. I would get an ohm meter anyway. Coil-Master makes a good builders kit that has their coiling tool, an ohm meter, wire cutters, pliers, screw driver, ceramic tweezers, and I think scissors. If you want instant gratification you can get the tools at Home Depot or WalMart. A set of jeweler's screwdrivers are good to wrap a coil on, some cutters, and some pliers and/or tweezers would get your going if your Kanger reads resistance. If there is a vape shop near you they may have Kanthal you can buy. The FDA doesn't let them build your coils or even show you how now. Freaking FDA assholes...

For wire I found 26 gauge was easy to work with as a beginner and there are lots of places to buy it. Lightening Vapes is on Amazon and their own website. Tempco Industrial has good wire as does KbeeVapes. Get yourself a spool of 24, 26, and 28 gauge Kanthal A1 to start, you will use them and they don't expire. You can move on to different gauges and kinds of wire as you gain experience.

There are lots of YouTube videos on coil building, watch those while you are waiting for your stuff to arrive. Have fun, it's not as hard as it sounds.

Thank you, I'll check those out for sure. I'm trying to find a gauge of wire that will heat up quickly like the kanger vertical occ .5 and this looks like a good place to start. :)

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Couldn't have said it better! Good advice!;)

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got it on my list. :p

The only thing is this... I looked up dual coiling, and it doesn't look like my setup is capable of that sort of wire threading. I wicked it just a little bit ago and used the pre-coiled wire that came with it... But it's a single and quite thin, very flimsy/flexible.

On the dual builds in the videos there appears to be a post in the center to run two wires? My kit doesn't have that unfortunately.

Here is a screen shot of mine via google.

Screenshot_2016-09-05-00-20-07.png

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OK, the Subtank is a single coil deck. This vid shows how to build the RBA on the Subtank Mini.

To get the 0.5 Ohms use 24 gauge and 7 wraps with 2 mm ID

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK, the Subtank is a single coil deck. This vid shows how to build the RBA on the Subtank Mini.

To get the 0.5 Ohms use 24 gauge and 7 wraps with 2 mm ID

You're awesome, thanks so much for the video. I'll get 24 ga and use the 2 mm jigg. I visited that calculator and it made me want another rba tank lol. For now tho, I'll stick with the basic single coils and get a feel for my meter and later hopefully I can figure out the best tank for a dual coil setup. :p

I really appreciate the advice and help GB. :) Diy and Rba in two weeks? Wow, this is awesome.
:vino:

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I prefer a 3mm coil, to get more wicking (or 2.5mm)
7 wraps of 26ga give about 1 ohm, which is fine for me.
Experiment and find what works best for you.

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I prefer a 3mm coil, to get more wicking (or 2.5mm)
7 wraps of 26ga give about 1 ohm, which is fine for me.
Experiment and find what works best for you.

Ok I'll experiment with that too. Is that build still a direct lung inhale? That's what I love about subbing, direct lung hit and nice clouds.

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes DTL.
I can get the same vape on a 1 or .5ohm build, by adjusting the wattage.

This makes sense, I can see how 3mm would give better airflow. Learned to use alot less cotton too. I tried this a week ago with the coil that came with it. Slipped the cotton in...and got burned hits. Not now, less cotton, and I'm getting decent tasty clouds at 20w @ .5 ohms. I'll try them at 1 too, your tips are appreciated.

Can't wait to get that coil master and start wrapping my own. ;)

By the way, this diy juice is fraekin tasty. Lmao. I am about to dispose of this other I bought, after mixing my own recipes...this other is like asshat juice.

Thats when build your own coils and DIY Juice starts getting just as addicting as vaping haha

I'm starting to relate with this now, night before last I stayed up til 2am mixing my own juice... And last night? I stayed up til 2am checking out rba build, then played with the steam engine calculator...:giggle:

That coil master kit is on my list, and I had to buy more vg and pg from bcv at midnight last night. I'm going thru this liquid like a fish. :teehee:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I bought a subox mini kit, it came with a mini plus rba. I've watched youtube videos, but have no clue what I need to build a .5 ohm rba coil.

Any advice to get me started with rebuilding is very appreciated. I'm a total noob at this.

Ok, lol I'll have to check them out. I'm not even sure what gauge of wire I need yet. I'm brand spanking new at this.

The videos I'm checking out on youtube don't show what gauge of wire they are using. They just show how to thread the wick thru the coil and prime it. I want to learn how to wrap my coils, what to wrap them around, how to read them, and what supplies I need to get started. Basically I need to dedicate some more time to deeper research on a .5 ohm build for a mini plus deck.

For now I'm using expensive ass manufactored kanger coils. Lmao. :p

This is my free coil maker, scrap 2x2 and BBQ skewer, couple rubber washer and a machine screw/nut. Google "artistic wire coil gizmo"

With this I can make perfect, NON squeeze contact coils and spaced coils. Although, I most wrap on a 2.5mm wire clothes hanger rather than the 2.8mm BBQ Skewer. The skewer gets used when I build for low ohm or above 20 watts and Atlantis heads for my Melo II. I use a 2mm bike spoke for the builds in my wife's Nautilus.

Building coil is really easy if you start with basic builds. Steam engine is a great source for modeling coils prior to building them. Really need no more than a small screw driver and something to cut wire with, to make single wire and basic twisted wire builds.

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is my free coil maker, scrap 2x2 and BBQ skewer, couple rubber washer and a machine screw/nut. Google "artistic wire coil gizmo"

With this I can make perfect, NON squeeze contact coils and spaced coils. Although, I most wrap on a 2.5mm wire clothes hanger rather than the 2.8mm BBQ Skewer. The skewer gets used when I build for low ohm or above 20 watts and Atlantis heads for my Melo II. I use a 2mm bike spoke for the builds in my wife's Nautilus.

Building coil is really easy if you start with basic builds. Steam engine is a great source for modeling coils prior to building them. Really need no more than a small screw driver and something to cut wire with, to make single wire and basic twisted wire builds.

Oh my gosh, how creative! This is awesome and very resourceful. Thank you, I have plenty of those things around the house lol.

Nail trimmers can clip wire too it seems. :p

Calikid1975

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The most important thing is to have an Ohm meter :D everything else can be improvised lol
and if ya switch to measuring by weight instead of volume the mixing process goes soooo much quicker.. when I have a recipe to follow already it takes bout 5 min start to finish to mix something up :D

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If CnC takes to coiling like she's taking to DIY, the folks in the coilwars contest better look out next year... :giggle:

The reason I suggested the 2 mm ID earlier is that build deck on the Subtank looked kinda small, I don't have one to know for sure. If you can get a 3 mm in there go4it. You will get more cotton in there for sure.

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Calikid1975, I think I'm gonna end up having both before too long. A scale to measure and a builders kit. I've got my eye on another mod and tank.

I can't imagine the flavorful concotions that would wind up in my closet if I had a scale to mix with. :p

And for safety I'm not gonna wrap one coil until I have that reader. Don't want my hand going kablooey splat. :giggle:

@gopher_byrd, yeah uhm...totally went thru all of my vg and pg with mixing. :teehee: I ordered more last night, and some extra flavors on friday. I definitely am hooked on this diy thing.

Can't wait to build coils, tho I don't know if I'll ever be skilled enough to compete.:eek:

My rba deck is super tiny. This mini plus is kinda hard to rebuild. It came with two pre-wrapped coils. I lost one somewhere in the kitchen today. But then I found a nail that fits perfectly in the other one, it has five full wraps and six on the legs side. I'm thinking the wire is 26 or 28 because its super thin. It fits this nail perfectly tho so if I can find some wire to replicate it...then I'll be golden, plug it up on my ohm reader and hopefully be on my way to learning lol.

It's a very small deck and I'm not sure that a 3mm build would fit it. I'm gonna try the one you mentioned earlier to start out. :)

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
F%#&... That's actually one of the setups I've been wanting, that or the hohm wrecker. :p

So got tothe checkout and... Did they require the last 4 of your social? Shit I don't mind them checking out my name and birthday on my dl but I'm not down with the iffy ss# requirement... :(

Calikid1975

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
F%#&... That's actually one of the setups I've been wanting, that or the hohm wrecker.

So got tothe checkout and... Did they require the last 4 of your social? Shit I don't mind them checking out my name and birthday on my dl but I'm not down with the iffy ss# requirement... :(
Lol nope it didn't ask me for mine when I placed my order on Fri ya might call em or something in the morning to find out why it's asking...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok well I scrolled to the bottom of the page and they use ssl...which basically means I'm sol unless I type in the last 4 of my social... i do that and it says "were sorry but that number does not register in our database".

Please call blar blar number for manual assistance. Lmao.

This happened to me friday when I ordered from vaporbeast. When I got done I was scared shitless and thinking wtf did I just do that for? So I get off the site, call the number and voice my concerns. The guy was friendly and was all like no need to worry. Send a copy of your dl with bday and sig visible, and fill out an attestation form, snap a photo of both and send it in a response email back to me.

He took my payment and I sent the email with my dl and attestation form. No prob.

But honestly, I'm about tired of having to do that all the time. Why do some get to skip that step while I have to go thru red tape?

I'm just tired of the hassle really. :(

It wasn't like this a month ago.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok well I scrolled to the bottom of the page and they use ssl...which basically means I'm sol unless I type in the last 4 of my social... i do that and it says "were sorry but that number does not register in our database".

Please call blar blar number for manual assistance. Lmao.

This happened to me friday when I ordered from vaporbeast. When I got done I was scared shitless and thinking wtf did I just do that for? So I get off the site, call the number and voice my concerns. The guy was friendly and was all like no need to worry. Send a copy of your dl with bday and sig visible, and fill out an attestation form, snap a photo of both and send it in a response email back to me.

He took my payment and I sent the email with my dl and attestation form. No prob.

But honestly, I'm about tired of having to do that all the time. Why do some get to skip that step while I have to go thru red tape?

I'm just tired of the hassle really. :(

It wasn't like this a month ago.
Welcome to life with the new FDA regulations. :cuss2::gaah::headbang:

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Screenshot_2016-09-08-10-24-23.png

I'm just a little confused here... This length total, how do I measure between the coil and contact points? Is that from leg to leg?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-08-10-24-23.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-08-10-24-23.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 6

travo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm just a little confused here... This length total, how do I measure between the coil and contact points? Is that from leg to leg?

That's from clamp (screw, grub nut, etc.) out to the actual coil. In the app I use on my phone it's set to 1mm I believe and for my use changing it has minimal effect that I've noticed.

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's from clamp (screw, grub nut, etc.) out to the actual coil. In the app I use on my phone it's set to 1mm I believe and for my use changing it has minimal effect that I've noticed.

Oh ok, thank you. It was confusing the crap outta me. :p Thought it means from leg to leg after the wire was trimmed back.

noejuice

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Booyah

Many good things in this 8 minute vid, best to watch full screen.

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just a little update, I was about to give up on trying to learn to wick my coil. It was frustrating at first, quite a few burn hits but that video up above was very helpful with that part. Can't wait to get my coiling kit and ohm reader. I also have 26 awg kanthal and cotton in my cart. Thought that would come in handy with whats in coil builders kit.

Now I'm checking out tanks that offer dual coiling decks that would fit on my kbox mini. The mini plus rba isn't bad tho, and I think with some practice it'll be a nice little setup. ;)

Crochetandcookies

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah baby. Coil builders kit, an extra mini plus rba, kanthal, a black kanger toptank mini, and cotton on the way. I'm so excited!

VU Sponsors