Become a Patron!

Recommendations on starter kit.

I have vaped in the past and recently started again. I wouldn't have called myself advanced previously but I had tried several different things /mods and some kind of an understanding about the science behind it that made certain mods better. Anyway, that was a while back and there are lots of new things out there. The last mod I had was an easy to use smok stick mod. I have been looking at some of them and see they have continued making / upgrading new versions of these. Would some of you more experienced vapers recommend the smok v9 max for someone that wants a balance of not being too expensive but still a decent mod and easy to use?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Would some of you more experienced vapers recommend the smok v9 max for someone that wants a balance of not being too expensive but still a decent mod and easy to use?
I wouldn't. Neither would anyone else with any experience.
Regulated mod.
External batteries.
An atomizer.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Do you know what type of atomizer?
Direct lung/sub ohm - factory coils?
Or you put the coil in and wick it?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Depends on the atomizer, and how long you want to go between charges.
A DTL for 8-10-12 hrs takes more power hence more batteries than MTL.

You gonna make us look up the price, from where we are in the world? ;) Or you want to give us a budget for everything. Remember, its an investment.

With the V9 Max, you were thinking kit? with its tank?

I'm out of the loop on atomizers too lol, right now all I have for vaping equipment is a disposable one I bought today. 8 hours ish at least I'm thinking between charges. I'm a simple man, not picky just want something that works. Thinking maybe start middle of the road as far as quality goes and user friendly while I experiment, research, learn more about it all.

Depends on the atomizer, and how long you want to go between charges.
A DTL for 8-10-12 hrs takes more power hence more batteries than MTL.

You gonna make us look up the price, from where we are in the world? ;) Or you want to give us a budget for everything. Remember, its an investment.

With the V9 Max, you were thinking kit? with its tank?
Yes, I was thinking easy to get started with a kit with its tank that wasn't too bad pricewise while I learn more about things and upgrade later. As far as budget, I'd like to keep it $100 or less to get started.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Woo hoo !! lets go shopping ! lolll

Take a look at Voopoo offerings. Dual 18650, perhaps a built in battery with at least 4000Mah or more.

With that budget I don't think it has to be a kit. Kits are usually faulty, usually tank not as good as what ya could have had.
Most of that will go to mod, and batteries if needed, start there and leave yourself about 30 for a tank. All from the same place to keep shipping down.

Woo hoo !! lets go shopping ! lolll

Take a look at Voopoo offerings. Dual 18650, perhaps a built in battery with at least 4000Mah or more.

With that budget I don't think it has to be a kit. Kits are usually faulty, usually tank not as good as what ya could have had.
Most of that will go to mod, and batteries if needed, start there and leave yourself about 30 for a tank. All from the same place to keep shipping down.
Kind of liking that Argus GT II ... Is the Maat tank good?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I like the mod too.
Can't say about sub ohm tanks since I haven't used one in 5 yrs. I've kinda kept up w/them but not enough to recommend 1. But like you said,,your starting out and with a mod like that you can change if your not happy enough with it. Man cannot live with 1 mod or tank alone anyways.
He kind of make a deal about the battery door, but who bangs their mod around. I like him for his vaping advocacy nostly, and his reviews are ok, but he reminds me of that nerd in high school, the not so smart one that later found something he's pretty good at lol.

4 batteries and a cheap 2 bay charger is about $35.

I like the mod too.
Can't say about sub ohm tanks since I haven't used one in 5 yrs. I've kinda kept up w/them but not enough to recommend 1. But like you said,,your starting out and with a mod like that you can change if your not happy enough with it. Man cannot live with 1 mod or tank alone anyways.
He kind of make a deal about the battery door, but who bangs their mod around. I like him for his vaping advocacy nostly, and his reviews are ok, but he reminds me of that nerd in high school, the not so smart one that later found something he's pretty good at lol.

4 batteries and a cheap 2 bay charger is about $35.
Yeah that guy is pretty out there lol. I agree, I don't plan on using it as a hammer. I think imma give it a try.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Food for thought:
1669856935516.png

From US shipping's a killer. Looks like they don't carry coils for that Voopoo. I have a few coils and wick I'll send you if you want to try that Dead Rabbit.

Here's a place to look too. Or put a want to buy add there.

Promo code at ejuiceconnect is BF35

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

1669857490396.png

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
BTW, that Dead RAbbit V2 is only $13.32 And its top airflow which is good to start out on.
Something like that later will be $40+ after ship. :devil:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I haven't used the Maat tank, but I have used Voopoo's PNP and TPP coils. They vape great and last a fair amount of time.

I do have the Argus GT (160w, I believe) and it's a very nice mod. Overall I'm a big fan of Voopoo gear. The Drag 3 is nice, too, and I saw just the other day that they've come out with a Drag 4.

Good luck, whatever you decide to get. I'm with @Vape Fan on the Smok Stick. There are a lot of better choices.

Actually I just read about what it actually is.. I have never built a coil and have no experience with knowing what resistances to go with or how to build them. I have enough common sense to figure it out with a couple videos sure, but is it recommended to start this way or just get a tank that you change out the coils in easier?

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
The old tanks and/or coils were awful but believe it or not the smok stick battery was practically bulletproof.. that being said, do yourself a favor and get anything else better. If smok is super convenient for u for some odd reason their coils are better these days, started using nexmesh i believe, cant vouch for their mods tho.

If u only have one mod a voopoo wont charge and vape at the same time, so get extra batteries.

Vapefly good, Geekvapes are still alright, innokin is still alright, vaporesso alright, aspire, lost vape has gone down in quality, but still alright, dovpo still good

its late, i cant think of anything else offhand thats current and mainstream, ill add edits maybe.

If u get the kits, the mfgs basically throw in a tank for about 10 bucks these days, if your going with stock coils just make sure u consider where to get em. Some of them even pair them up with rebuildables, sometimes the sites themselves will make a pair, bigger sites like element.

If u know where to shop u can usually get what u want seperately for not much more and in my opinion its better to have what u actually should for the extra 10 dollars, but thats up to u.

Edit-if u have never built before, kylin mini v2, steam crave classic mtl are 2 very easy forgiving tanks to build.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Actually I just read about what it actually is.. I have never built a coil and have no experience with knowing what resistances to go with or how to build them. I have enough common sense to figure it out with a couple videos sure, but is it recommended to start this way or just get a tank that you change out the coils in easier?

Just my own take on it, but I believe I'd buy the kit so I'd be able to get up and running quickly. When finances allow, get an RTA or RDA plus wire, cotton, and a few tools, and set about learning to build. A lot of the factory coils are light years better than they used to be, but you do eventually want to build your own so you aren't limited to the expense and narrow selection of factory coils.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I just watched some videos on the dead rabbit one, looks very easy. Now trying to decide what resistances to start out with.
The V9 was like .15Ω & .2, right?
What resistance were you using on the smok stick?
2 coils at .3 work out to be 1/2 that, .15
Its easier to get some resistances using 1 coil, but I'd 1st go for duals with that V2 Rabbit to see how you like that.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Battery choice is important. Its a really long subject to dive in to.
In short, there are like 4 manuf's that make the batteries we use for vaping. All others in the marketplace are from vendors that put their own wrap[label] on them. So why not buy those grade A cells that have the manuf's label, right? Right ! lol Only thing is what the label says on any of them. The og manuf's are decently reliable for correct stats but for the real vaping sats,
Battery Mooch is the trusted tester and can find his stats for any of these batteries.
Here are the ones I use and for me it depends on size and use.
Molicell
Samsung

I suggested P28A because in a dual regulated mod there's no fear of not enough amps for up to about 110 or so watts. If 90ish or less Samsung 30Q would probably net a little more run time between charges. 80W & under, 2x 30Q would be my personal choice.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you go with the Dead Rabbit tank simple single wire coils are easy to make and there are plenty of vids on YouTube on building coils. You can also check out our Builders Corner forum for ideas.

A good site for making sense of coils and resistance is http://www.steam-engine.org/.

A good place for wire is https://wireoptim.com/ You can even get pre-made coils and cotton there.

For cotton you can get by with unrolling organic cotton balls from Walgreens or CVS, but a better choice is Muji cotton on Amazon.

Last edited:
Yeah I have a strong background in electronics. I've just never actually made coils. I have watched a few vids and it doesn't look too complicated other than making sure you are using the right materials for what you wanna accomplish.... So you all prefer the simple organic cotton balls vs all this other shit I see avail.. The wicks, swag cotton yadda yadda

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
So you all prefer the simple organic cotton balls vs all this other shit I see avail
That choice is up to you- many here use all kinds of brands of wicks- back in 2016 when I started building RDAs, RTAs and RDTAs ,Walgreens Organic cotton balls is all I could get. They didn't have all the fancy brands that are out there today. I have bought and used Cotton Bacon, BP Mods cotton, muji and a shoelace eyelet style(forget who makes that) even tried rayon that many use and love, and I always go back to Organic cotton balls. A bag is under $5.00 and lasts a long time(years), easy to get and cheaper than the usually more expensive vape cotton, tastes just as good too.
Many here have different opinions on wicks- Organic Cotton balls is what I mainly use and am vaping with it right now in my Pioneer Insider RBA boro with my Billet Box.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I prefer organic cotton. Have tried rayon, Readi-X, cotton bacon, shoelace eyelet cotton (think Wofoto makes it not sure). Keep coming back to cheap old Muji cotton I get for like $7 to $13 for a huge bag that lasts me years, even giving some away. Reflect what @SnapDragon NY says, it's all subjective, with everyone using what they like.

I haven't used the Maat tank, but I have used Voopoo's PNP and TPP coils. They vape great and last a fair amount of time.

I do have the Argus GT (160w, I believe) and it's a very nice mod. Overall I'm a big fan of Voopoo gear. The Drag 3 is nice, too, and I saw just the other day that they've come out with a Drag 4.

Good luck, whatever you decide to get. I'm with @Vape Fan on the Smok Stick. There are a lot of better choices.
I have used the Maat tank and I don't care for the hard draw it has fully open. Also the coils burn to fast for me. As far as flavor and coil I suggest the Valerian 3 great flavor and coils last me about a week at 90watts

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vapefly good, Geekvapes are still alright, innokin is still alright, vaporesso alright, aspire, lost vape has gone down in quality, but still alright, dovpo still good
I agree (assuming something that uses "drop-in" factory coils)
Building your own... yes, eventually the way to go for sure. But get something for now while you climb the "learning curve" of building. 8 vape has some good deals (clearance)... unless you want to order from China (whole different topic) You may not like the new shipping options (slow and expensive) and of course the "adult signature" fee (yes... it all sucks) Anyway... check this out:
https://www.eightvape.com/collections/hardware-clearance

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The shipping is high (but fast) and you may be able to get around some of the new shipping issues (don't want to say but just look into it) I assume you are in the US?

As someone that just got into it 3 weeks ago, I wish I skipped the pods and factory coil tanks to go straight into home built coils and cotton. I would have saved a ton of money. I seem to be having issues with defective Z coils or im just burning them up. It would be nice to be able to just wrap a new coil or swap out cotton.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As someone that just got into it 3 weeks ago, I wish I skipped the pods and factory coil tanks to go straight into home built coils and cotton. I would have saved a ton of money. I seem to be having issues with defective Z coils or im just burning them up. It would be nice to be able to just wrap a new coil or swap out cotton.

In one RD/SA I got, have used the same coil for about a year now. Swap out the wick every week or so. Keeping an eye on the coil for entropy from being so used. Not seen a need to replace it yet. That isn't to say "do what I do", or "my way is the only / the best way". It's only a frame of reference.

Can agree factory coils, drop in ones do have a purpose. Starting out it is nice to not fool with needing to know much, or to have a sense of guidance, security with a drop in coil. After you get into vaping, drop in coils are convenient to use once in a while, again saving a bit of hassle. I'm glad, though, I can order bare wire and make coils. Wire is affordable. Drop in coils, not so much.

Of course, I'm merely a simple man, drawn to simple things. :)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors