Become a Patron!

"rectangular wire"

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Someone on another forum kept telling me to try this "rectangular" wire (I think it was 0.3mm x 0.9mm) I guess you would call it flat wire too. I lost the bookmark but seems like the name was coil bee or similar. The guy got banned from the other forum (actually so did I recently) and I can't remember his name but I'm sure he was around here too. I think the wire was Nichrome (Ni80) Does this sound familiar to anyone? I apologize for my bad memory...

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I found it (website is down for maintenance ATM) It's K bee Vapes.
I thin the guy went by the name @Don29palms
EDIT: found him here on UV... same name (sent him a PM)

Last edited:
Someone on another forum kept telling me to try this "rectangular" wire (I think it was 0.3mm x 0.9mm) I guess you would call it flat wire too. I lost the bookmark but seems like the name was coil bee or similar. The guy got banned from the other forum (actually so did I recently) and I can't remember his name but I'm sure he was around here too. I think the wire was Nichrome (Ni80) Does this sound familiar to anyone? I apologize for my bad memory...
I just started tinkering with rdas and rtas. Where can I purchase rectangle wire? Is there a oblong wire too?

Rebecca
(flexible and single)

aerodan

Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
Flat 316L stainless wire used to be available, and the 24gauge was totally magical! But can't find it anymore... If it pops up, I'll share here :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Flat 316L stainless wire used to be available, and the 24gauge was totally magical! But can't find it anymore... If it pops up, I'll share here :)

250 Ft for less than $10 do ya? They also got 100 ft, 50 ft, 25 ft.. Nickel is carried by them as well, look under non-resistance wire.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That would be great!!! Who has it these days?

Did you not click the links? I listed right to each length's sales page from TemCo. Can understand being cautious online, really can, but not clicking links in friendly forum such as this seems to nearly border paranoid.

As far as I'm aware folks here usually don't try steering other folks too far wrong knowingly. Forgive our occasional spammers/scammers. You'll see those on any forum though. Our moderators here are real good at shutting them down.

Even I have been able to dial it back a few notches on this forum. It's okay to trust here. If trust is broken, there are people here who are trustworthy that try righting it again, immediately. Point being your safely among friends, family here.

We are the asylum known as Bedlam, where the patients run things. Come on in, we have cookies! :) *chuckles*

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Just to try and clear up a couple of things - 0.1 and 0.2 thickness is generally referred to as ribbon/flat wire. 0.3mm thickness and above is considered rectangular wire. There is also square wire, usually available in 0.3x0.3, 0.4x0.4, and 0.5x0.5.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well piss, apologies. I see now. Thought I had linked to flat wire but it was round. Not exactly sure how that happened. Thought it read flat wire when I was linking to it. *smh*

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just to try and clear up a couple of things - 0.1 and 0.2 thickness is generally referred to as ribbon/flat wire. 0.3mm thickness and above is considered rectangular wire.
That's why my title reads "rectangular wire"... that's what I'm looking for.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well piss, apologies. I see now. Thought I had linked to flat wire but it was round. Not exactly sure how that happened. Thought it read flat wire when I was linking to it. *smh*
Apology accepted. BTW, my round wire is from TemCo... they are great.
On a total side note: made a "twisted pair" with 26 ga kanthal (wasn't as tight a twist as I hoped but works great)
It's not a big deal if I find the wire I mentioned... I had promised to try it months ago and just wanted to follow through and see if I like it.

aerodan

Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
There was a killer company in the UK called "Flatwire", and I bought a bunch of their 24G stainless... it's just such win, but... gone :-(

Edit: I found some at evolutionvaping in the UK! They have 22 and 24g stainless and some nichrome as well.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All the Temco flat wires I looked at are only 0.1 mm thick (seems too thin to me)
0.1mm×0.3mm Ni80 ribbon wire is actually a great choice for making staples, fraples (framed staples), fraliens (framed aliens), SSFCs (staple staggered fused claptons), stapled helixes, pitchfork variants and the like. Getting a ribbon stack to comply may seem like it's too much of a challenge at first, too off-putting for many who are still new to coil building. Then again, my 1st ever successful coil build was a dual coil SSFC build with a 4ply 0.1mm×0.4mm KA1 ribbon stack using 25.5g KA1 for the frames and 36g Ni80 wrap wire. Sure... the ribbon was thin. But the clouds were thicker than those pink elephants from the movie Dumbo, bro! 😂

That is a nichrome wire. Ni80 consists of 80% nickel and 20% chromium. Nichrome comes in a variety of grades. It has lower resistance and heats faster. But you have to be careful while dry burning them. Also you have to be careful before using it if you have nickle allergy. It is popular and easy to find. There are steel and Kanthal wires too.

There are many companies that supply ribbon wires. If you want I can search for you?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Carambrda , yes,,, some day I will dive into that (not ready yet but would like any advice on that subject)
This was really just a thing that this guy (who seems to be absent) wanted me to try. He used it a lot (just by itself) and swore it was great. I'm ready to move on.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Also you have to be careful before using it if you have nickle allergy.
I've used NiChrome(Ni80) before and seem to be fine with it... but not interested in Nickel (Ni200) Have no use for it and happy with Kanthal, NiChrome and SS. I have heard that some people are so sensitive to nickel they can't even do Ni80. I've never tried TC (nothing against it... just happy using power/watts mode) I really should try TC though. Many people love SS because you can do it both ways.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Carambrda , yes,,, some day I will dive into that (not ready yet but would like any advice on that subject)
Well I'm not an expert builder by any means, I first and foremost build coils for the goal of improving BOTH the flavor performance AND the feel of the vape, and to experiment with these factors. (For how I like to vape, these 2 different factors are so tremendously interlinked in every way that I'd say they are pretty much inseparable, at least to me, so it is about warmth, wetness, density, saturation, texture, speed of inhalation and level of restrictiveness as much as it is about flavor─and about depth of flavor.) Most other builders I've seen are more concerned about the visual experience, i.e. the aesthetics part of the coil building equation (art/ marketing, marketing/art) and about showing off their own skills with regards to the difficulty level that is involved, much less about the actual vape experience, unfortunately. What this also means is I don't futz around with things like rectangular wire or extremely thin round wire. (Above 40g is already much too thin for it to serve a real purpose when it comes to trying to achieve my aforementioned goals of looking for improvement.) Please don't get me wrong... I like a good looking coil build, and also I like many forms of art. What I don't like are people who try to disinform about the performance potential (and/or lack thereof) that can be had with certain coil types, and who aim to turn that disinformation strategy into a lucrative business model. It is detrimental to those who just want to learn how to experience a better vape and want to share that experience, or knowledge.

In addition, I never use stainless steel wire types in any of my coil builds. SS 316L wire is multiple times less resilient to dry firing and dry burning than Ni80, and, watt for watt, it ramps up slower than Ni80 if the volume of the wire strand (i.e., half the diameter times half the diameter times π times length) is kept the same. A lot of people keep referring to the mass of the coil when they discuss the rampup time, but the correct variable to want to use for that is the volume, as the mass is actually irrelevant. But anyway, as I'm not allergic to nickel, SS 316L adds nothing for me. Rather, all that it factually does is it just makes the coils wear out in next to no time. TC (temp control) is a pure waste of time because, in wattage mode, you should be able to adjust both the airflow setting of your RBA and the strength of your draw, and, if the type of RBA you use is an RDA, the importance of learning first how to avoid getting dry hits in wattage mode is both undeniable and trivial. With complex coil builds tailored specifically toward being an improvement in the vape experience when compared to simple coil builds, TC doesn't actually even work right. The surface temp of the core wire strands cannot accurately be measured, as it differs from that of the deeper regions inside the metal, significantly. The increased speed of evaporation and of the airflow that collides with the complex coil is why this is so. (The combined effect caused by these factors carries the heat away from the complex coil's surface at a rate that is faster than the rate at which heat gets transferred inside the metal itself.) Finally, I'll also add that the metallic taste of Ni80 goes away permanently if you stick to premium quality Ni80 (grade A) and you dry fire your freshly built coils, adequately before the first use.

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Carambrda , thank you so much for the info. Very interesting about SS (and I really need to be able to "dry burn" a coil) I actually agree with most of your comments (and never felt the need for TC anyway) You didn't mention kanthal but I assume you like Ni80 best. Right now, I'd like to try some fused claptons (two wire core) Not ready to make my own (the wire... no problem winding the coils) but I also not afraid to try (I've been an auto mechanic and do electronics all my life so very handy)

I've used NiChrome(Ni80) before and seem to be fine with it... but not interested in Nickel (Ni200) Have no use for it and happy with Kanthal, NiChrome and SS. I have heard that some people are so sensitive to nickel they can't even do Ni80. I've never tried TC (nothing against it... just happy using power/watts mode) I really should try TC though. Many people love SS because you can do it both ways.
Ni80 does affect sensitive people. It’s better to understand that before you use something like this you should be well aware that such a thing might also cause an allergic reaction.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Carambrda , thank you so much for the info. Very interesting about SS (and I really need to be able to "dry burn" a coil) I actually agree with most of your comments (and never felt the need for TC anyway) You didn't mention kanthal but I assume you like Ni80 best. Right now, I'd like to try some fused claptons (two wire core) Not ready to make my own (the wire... no problem winding the coils) but I also not afraid to try (I've been an auto mechanic and do electronics all my life so very handy)
When I was still using my Wismec Releaux RX300, I was getting huge, deep flavor by using Kanthal A1 for the cores, Ni80 for the wrap wire. See my post: https://vapingunderground.com/threads/rectangular-wire.745359/post-3157850 "KA1" is short for Kanthal A1. Here's is how it looked like:

SSFCs.jpg

VU Sponsors