Become a Patron!

Relationship between VG/PG ratios and wattage

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've seen plenty of posts that say something like, "You need to adjust your power to the juice you're vaping." However, I've been calling for the years and I usually just find the sweet spot for whatever tank/coil I'm using and stick with it. I've never adjusted for juice because, frankly, I don't know how it effects the vape.

For one thing, most of the stuff I vape is in the 70/30 VG/PG range, so there's not a ton of variance that would require adjustment. However, I enjoy Lana (95% VG) and I have some decent NicQuid (50/50) still lying around that I don't want to waste. So what is the norm as far as adjusting your power to the juice you're vaping? I would guess that vegetable glycerin requires more heat simply because of its thickness in comparison to propylene glycol, but I'm no chemist.

Anybody know which way I should adjust my wattage for juice that's higher in one ingredient than the other?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JosCiv

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
As for as I know, the juice doesn't effect the wattage since the thickness of the juice has nothing to do with the heat but rather with the time the coil needs to absorb your juice. So if you want to vape a higher VG juice you need to look up if your coil is capable of doing that and after that you can check the recommended range of your coil to see at what wattage you should be vaping.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you are CLEAROHEAD, follow manufacturers recommendation...

If you are a builder that's a different story... there's no ONE ANSWER to your QUESTION....

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I just use voltage to set my mod up...as long as I'm using .2Ω and above 4-5V works great for every resistance I use

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As for as I know, the juice doesn't effect the wattage since the thickness of the juice has nothing to do with the heat but rather with the time the coil needs to absorb your juice. So if you want to vape a higher VG juice you need to look up if your coil is capable of doing that and after that you can check the recommended range of your coil to see at what wattage you should be vaping.
That's what I thought. If that's the case, then why do I constantly read that you need to adjust wattage based on your juice VG/PG ratio? I've never been able to tell a difference between juices of 50/50 or 80/20 as far as flavor intensity is concerned if I use the same wattage for both. For example, I always run Crown 0.25 coils at 80 watts, Baby Beast coils at 50 watts, and Cleito 0.4 coils at 45 watts whether I'm using NicQuid Maui (50/50) or Pinup Lana (95/?). I have to keep from chain vaping Lana because it will give you burnt hits without allowing time for it to wick properly, but it doesn't seem to need any more power than the Maui to produce the flavor "sweet spot" than the juice with much less vegetable glycerin.

Anyway, thanks for the answers, everyone. I'll just ignore those "adjust your wattage for juice vg/pg ratios" stuff in the future.

JosCiv

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Maybe they are trying to say that if you vape higher vg juice at a lower wattage your coils wont get as hot and you don't burn them more easily but as I already mentioned that had nothing to do with the fact that your coil needs to absorb the liquid so my guess is that they say it to cover them up in any case of complaints

Cuboid Mini 80W - Melo 3 Eleaf - ECL 0.18ohm

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've adjusted the power on mine for different juices but not for the vg/pg ratio. I've done it for the different flavors, sometimes one juice will taste better with different heat/power settings than another. Seems like on more complex flavor profiles the power/heat aspect of the coil hotter or cooler can emphasize different notes of the flavor.

VU Sponsors