Become a Patron!

Remarry Batteries with Opus BT-C3100

AndyF150

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I recently acquired an Opus BT-C3100. The charger has a "refresh" mode that will charge-discharge-charge-discharge-charge. If I had split a pair of batteries to use in a single 18650 mod would it be possible to remarry the batteries using that feature of the charger?

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No, because cells lifespan is dependent on charge and discharge, changing the internal resistance... i dont think you could rejuvinate cells. Would be nice if you could though.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I had a "pile" of cells, id test their capacity with said charger, and would "pair" them according to measured capacity. Married cells is nothing more than keeping similarly aged cells together. Measuring them would be maybe a little better. Either way as long as you keep similarly aged batteries together in a multi cell mod, you'll be OK...

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I had split a pair of batteries to use in a single 18650 mod would it be possible to remarry the batteries

Nothing to do with a charger but if you kept both cells in rotation and/or they have remained within a handful of cycles of each other, then you can "remarry" them.

Don't shoot me folks... Mooch says it's fine.

Specifically, and I quote... "We're too religious about the issue..." :p

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nothing to do with a charger but if you kept both cells in rotation and/or they have remained within a handful of cycles of each other, then you can "remarry" them.

Don't shoot me folks... Mooch says it's fine.

Specifically, and I quote... "We're too religious about the issue..." :p
I don't disagree... if you know. But I also have to say, if you don't actually know the batteries are within a few cycles of each other, then I can't recommend it.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't disagree... if you know. But I also have to say, if you don't actually know the batteries are within a few cycles of each other, then I can't recommend it.

Can't speak for anyone else, but mine are numbered and used in rotation.

Unless the mod gnomes snuck in for an extended vape... they couldn't be more than two cycles apart (a hypothetically divorced pair that is).

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Can't speak for anyone else, but mine are numbered and used in rotation.

Unless the mod gnomes snuck in for an extended vape... they couldn't be more than two cycles apart (a hypothetically divorced pair that is).
Ditto. I re-wrap mine in colors to mark the pairs (triples for the RX's) to prevent exactly that problem.
20160223_182324[1].jpg

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recently acquired an Opus BT-C3100. The charger has a "refresh" mode that will charge-discharge-charge-discharge-charge. If I had split a pair of batteries to use in a single 18650 mod would it be possible to remarry the batteries using that feature of the charger?
The DISCHARGE-REFRESH mode is specific to rechargeable NiMH. You will want to use CHARGE-TEST mode to verify Li-ion capacity. You will also want to pair the results with the IR measurements gleaned from QUICK TEST mode and bin them accordingly. Technically, it is possible to achieve the results you are looking for by raising the IR and lowering the capacity of the cell with better numbers.

Last edited:

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The DISCHARGE-REFRESH mode is specific to rechargeable NiMH. You will want to use CHARGE-TEST mode to verify Li-ion capacity. You will also want to pair the results with the IR measurements gleaned from QUICK TEST mode and bin them accordingly. Technically, it is possible to achieve the results you are looking for by raising the IR and lowering the capacity of the cell with better numbers.

+1. You can test internal resistance and capacity and find similar cells that way. I would recommend testing each one twice, especially when doing the quick test because sometimes the quick test results come out wonky. If they have very close capacity and IR then they're good.

AndyF150

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
+1. You can test internal resistance and capacity and find similar cells that way. I would recommend testing each one twice, especially when doing the quick test because sometimes the quick test results come out wonky. If they have very close capacity and IR then they're good.

Hey Jon!

I trust you got those Efests I sent back from Texas?

VU Sponsors