Become a Patron!

REO

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
If Reo released a box with a DNA board, it would sell like hotcakes. But they stubbornly stick to mechanical. That's why they're largely overlooked in this day and age, and it's likely to stay that way.
First off, Rob is semi-retired and I don't think he's interested in releasing any new products. Secondly, the FDA regs prohibit new products that weren't on the market before 8/8/16. Sure, the Chinese manufacturers and sellers don't care, but a US-based business kinda has to.

Rob did make a regulated mod at one point, the VV REO Grand. That was before DNA boards even existed. But those mods were a headache from a service standpoint. Rob's philosophy has been that a mod should last a lifetime and be readily fixable when it fails, which is rather difficult when the supplier for the the board stopped making them. Then there's also the problem that juice and electronics don't mix, and many users aren't as fastidious about keeping the innards of their squonk mods as dry mod with a regulator in it should be.

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Most people I know who are looking into getting a squonker want a regulated device these days. Me, I'd love a Reo. But... mechanical :( So, I have to turn to other gold standards of middle ground, popular, reliable, affordable, beautiful and *electronic* squonking mods - which, thankfully, have finally gotten easy to get recently.

If Reo released a box with a DNA board, it would sell like hotcakes. But they stubbornly stick to mechanical. That's why they're largely overlooked in this day and age, and it's likely to stay that way.
Pfffffft. That's why Rob sells out every run of p67's he makes. They're no longer relevant eh?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been saying that a DNA rep would outsell every mod on the market since the DNA30 was released.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pfffffft. That's why Rob sells out every run of p67's he makes. They're no longer relevant eh?

Reo sells to Reo fans. That's a fine business, but it's a niche market. All I'm saying, in response to the OP's statement that "the gold standard of bottom feeders is largely ignored by new squonkmen", is that

1/ Reo mods are only the gold standard of *mechanical* squonkers, and
2/ Reo would grow much bigger if they also offered a range of electronic mods, because new squonkmen like regulated squonkers better.

If Reo don't want to do that and stay niche, that's great too though - as long as everybody is happy... :)

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reo sells to Reo fans. That's a fine business, but it's a niche market. All I'm saying, in response to the OP's statement that "the gold standard of bottom feeders is largely ignored by new squonkmen", is that

1/ Reo mods are only the gold standard of *mechanical* squonkers, and
2/ Reo would grow much bigger if they also offered a range of electronic mods, because new squonkmen like regulated squonkers better.

If Reo don't want to do that and stay niche, that's great too though - as long as everybody is happy... :)
Yeah. I get that...

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I've been saying that a DNA rep would outsell every mod on the market since the DNA30 was released.
Meh. I've built and used DNA squonkers.

IBPvAzH.jpg

I still have some. But I'm back to vaping mechanical pretty much 100% of the time.

My watch is mechanical too. :D

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Meh. I've built and used DNA squonkers.

IBPvAzH.jpg

I still have some. But I'm back to vaping mechanical pretty much 100% of the time.

My watch is mechanical too. :D
I've considered it. I built a DNA 40 box but not a squonker.
I'm on the fence with building a dna75 squonk mod.
Edit: if the tech would slow down I would probably do it, but every time is start shopping the newest must have thing comes out

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm a mech guy. With no apologies for it. I prefer simple, predictable, fixable things. REO's are perfect for me in that regard. I'm not particularly seduced by bright shiny things anymore and in my advanced age sometimes pine for the past. I have two REO's, a Frankenskull, and a Knight tube. I do have a Kbox 200 that I use for dripping with a Goon, and now a battledeck. Love my REO's.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Ovedrlooked? Then why is he still in business and why do they keep selling out all the time? Regulated squonkers are nice but they aren't exactly "FDA proof" either. Buy a handful of spare parts for a Reo and you could keep it going for decades.

KentA

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
... All I'm saying, in response to the OP's statement that "the gold standard of bottom feeders is largely ignored by new squonkmen".... :)

That quote went on to say, "of the Vaping Underground" and was written when the VU’s Bottom Feeders / Squonking sub-forum was in it's infancy.

At the time squonking was in a rapid growth phase & discussions here naturally focused on what was new. It seemed many believed bottom feeding was a new concept.

With so many new people trying to get a grip on the situation, introducing Reo to the conversation seemed appropriate.

You prefer a regulated device & that’s cool with me, but I have 15 bottom feeding mods & none of them are regulated. That’s cool with me too.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That quote went on to say, "of the Vaping Underground" and was written when the VU’s Bottom Feeders / Squonking sub-forum was in it's infancy.

At the time squonking was in a rapid growth phase & discussions here naturally focused on what was new. It seemed many believed bottom feeding was a new concept.

With so many new people trying to get a grip on the situation, introducing Reo to the conversation seemed appropriate.

You prefer a regulated device & that’s cool with me, but I have 15 bottom feeding mods & none of them are regulated. That’s cool with me too.

There are tons of folks out there that still have no idea squonking exits or they think Kanger invented it :facepalm:

There are some great squonk mods out there, commercial and custom, but the REO has stood the test of time and is a rock solid choice

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Most people I know who are looking into getting a squonker want a regulated device these days. Me, I'd love a Reo. But... mechanical :( So, I have to turn to other gold standards of middle ground, popular, reliable, affordable, beautiful and *electronic* squonking mods - which, thankfully, have finally gotten easy to get recently.

Rob made a regulated REO a while ago. They were too much of a pain in the ass for him and he would have to constantly update to stay up with the competition. Being pretty much a one man shop it wasn't worth the effort.

One thing I know is my mech REOs will continue to work well beyond any chip device into the future. Especially with the bullshit the US FDA deeming regs and EU TPD are throwing our way. Work for the best, but plan for the worst. Don't get me wrong, I have regulated devices that I enjoy, but if they break and I cannot get them replaced I will still be vaping thanks to my mechs. Here is a vid that shows how much abuse a REO can take and still work:

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been squonking since the Pico Squeeze has been released. I like it because it is small and there is nothing if not a simple button to fire no more. I would like to buy a Reo (the Reo Mini 2, LP) since it is even more simpler and my understanding is that it is a kind of safer than other mech mods (thanks to the spring). I would like to understand a thing:

With a small atty as the speed revolution, (or strike 14) at ~ 1.2 ohm what makes a Reo better than a Pico Suqeeze?

immafool

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been squonking since the Pico Squeeze has been released. I like it because it is small and there is nothing if not a simple button to fire no more. I would like to buy a Reo (the Reo Mini 2, LP) since it is even more simpler and my understanding is that it is a kind of safer than other mech mods (thanks to the spring). I would like to understand a thing:

With a small atty as the speed revolution, (or strike 14) at ~ 1.2 ohm what makes a Reo better than a Pico Suqeeze?

imo, reliability... the reo is bullet proof, and spare parts are readily available. With a simple google search, you can watch vids of how to completely disassemble, clean and replace parts (i've had to replace the delrin button and upgraded to the stiffer positive contact). I can't speak on the reliability of the pico squeeze, but i've owned the dripbox and after a few months the button got gunked up with ejuice (oversquonked) and now the mod makes for a nice paperweight on my desk.

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
imo, reliability... the reo is bullet proof, and spare parts are readily available. With a simple google search, you can watch vids of how to completely disassemble, clean and replace parts (i've had to replace the delrin button and upgraded to the stiffer positive contact). I can't speak on the reliability of the pico squeeze, but i've owned the dripbox and after a few months the button got gunked up with ejuice (oversquonked) and now the mod makes for a nice paperweight on my desk.
Tha is a good poin. It is also true that a Pico costs ~10 usd while a reo goues for 15 times more...

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is the reo mini as good as the Grand? I do vape probably just 1 ml a day... with the Pico (at 1.2 ohm) the battery needs to be chaned on the third day (week days)

KentA

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Is the reo mini as good as the Grand? I do vape probably just 1 ml a day... with the Pico (at 1.2 ohm) the battery needs to be chaned on the third day (week days)
The only real difference in the Reo mini & the Grand is the size, but the size of the battery may be important to you.

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
... if only the shipment to UK was cheaper... 40 usd is a lot... I should have a look at it time ago, or last year when I was in LA

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

The differences between a 2.1 Mini and a Grand is the battery size - 18500 versus 18650. And the bottle size - 3 ml versus 6 ml.

Honestly the size difference between the two is insignificant but a lot of people first go for the Mini because they think it is going to be so much smaller - and it really isn't. A 2.1 Mini is 15 mm shorter in height than a Grand and... that's it. Dimensionally all else is the same within a fraction of an inch.

But with a Mini you have shorter battery life due to the 18500 battery and then there's that tiny 3 ml bottle. I bought one 2.1 Mini and that was the first and last of those. I would urge you to get a Grand as your first Reo instead.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But a Grand LP - the original Grand has a built in "catch cup" and won't allow you to use 22mm atties.
An LP still has a "landing deck" that's like 20mm - but you can put any rda you want on there.
(note - the P67 is totally flat on top...and definitely worth a look, too)

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But a Grand LP - the original Grand has a built in "catch cup" and won't allow you to use 22mm atties.
An LP still has a "landing deck" that's like 20mm - but you can put any rda you want on there.
(note - the P67 is totally flat on top...and definitely worth a look, too)

The only way I can tell the difference between my P67 (L) and Grand Lp sl (R) is when I pick them up...:huh:

IMG_20170525_181902585.jpg
...Because there are only Schlitz on the door of the P67, it weighs more. :cheers:

I might need to take a closer look at both in the future for the other possible differences you kindly mentioned...:rolleyes:

Ron
---
"Where the senses fail us, reason must step in."- Galileo Galilei

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, don't tell me you never press the top of the P67 and try to hit it. Or squeeze on the side of the Grand, looking for a button. LOL

I'd take a photo of all my mine, but the Grand is back in Maine.
First trouble I've had - it needs the new stainless 510.

Well, actually, I did have other trouble...several times, I dropped it hard enough to actually bend in the edge/lip that the door slides in, so the door was kind of grinding. I just kinda jammed a screwdriver in, or a nail file, and forced it back. Then it was fine. ;)

That mod has literally been dropped on the floor 30 times, knocked over more than that, has at least 50,000 frequent flier miles... and I have vaped it EVERY DAY for THREE YEARS.

So literally, just today, I got a mod that has the potential to perhaps unseat that old Grand, as my no-matter-what, everyday everywhere device. We'll see...
P67-2b-1.jpg

The only way I can tell the difference between my P67 (L) and Grand Lp sl (R) is when I pick them up...:huh:

View attachment 82915
...Because there are only Schlitz on the door of the P67, it weighs more. :cheers:

I might need to take a closer look at both in the future for the other possible differences you kindly mentioned...:rolleyes:

Ron
---
"Where the senses fail us, reason must step in."- Galileo Galilei

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It must have been described tons of times but I can't find it: what are the differences between the two Reo Minies? Thanks

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It must have been described tons of times but I can't find it: what are the differences between the two Reo Minies? Thanks

Which two minis? :huh:

Of the current offers the "mini" - some times referred to as the 1.0 mini or the 14500 mini - uses a 14500 battery and it is dimensionally smaller because of that choice of battery. It's really only suited for 14 mm or smaller attys like the Chalice, otherwise the amount of overhang looks really weird.

The 2.1 mini uses an 18490 or 18500 battery.

The older 2.0 mini - not on the Reos web site - also uses an 18490 or 18500 battery but it had a smaller catch cup - I think.

All versions use the same size 3.0 ml bottle.

Last edited:

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Which two minis? :huh:

Of the current offers the "mini" - some times referred to as the 1.0 mini or the 14500 mini - uses a 14500 battery and it is dimensionally smaller because of that choice of battery. It's really only suited for 14 mm or smaller attys like the Chalice, otherwise the amount of overhang looks really weird.

The 2.1 mini uses an 18490 or 18500 battery.

The older 2.0 mini - not on the Reos web site - also uses an 18490 or 18500 battery but it had a smaller catch cup - I think.

All versions use the same size 3.0 ml bottle.
Thanks. Never realised the difference in the battery size... lazy me

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks. Never realised the difference in the battery size... lazy me

The 14500 version came first. Rob created the 2.0 for the sake of the longer battery life you get with a 18490/18500 battery. Then a minor tweak in the design between the 2.0 and 2.1 increased the inside diameter of the catch cup. (For anyone buying low profile models the catch cup diameter info for standard profile Reo's is irrelevant.)

The way I look at them: If I want performance - a wide choice in 18650 batteries, RBA's and the 6 ml bottle (which can accept 8.5 ml bottles as well) - then I want a Grand or a P67. If I really want small - then it's a 14500 mini and the 3 ml bottle limitation. To me the Reo 2.1 18500 version is neither. It can't give you the run times of a Grand due to the smaller battery. And it's still hobbled by the same 3 ml bottle that the even smaller 14500 mini uses.

Last edited:

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The 14500 version came first. Rob created the 2.0 for the sake of the longer battery life you get with a 18490/18500 battery. Then a minr tweak in the design between the 2.0 and 2.1 increased the inside diameter of the catch cup. (For anyone buying current low profile models the catch cup diameter info is largely irrelevant.)

The way I look at them: If I want performance - a wide choice in 18650 batteries, RBA's and the 6 ml bottle (which can accept 8.5 ml bottles as well) - then I want a Grand or a P67. If I really want small - then it's a 14500 mini and the 3 ml bottle limitation. To me the Reo 2.1 18500 version is neither. It can't give you the run times of a Grand due to the smaller battery. And it's still hobbled by the same 3 ml bottle that the even smaller 14500 mini uses.

That is a nice explanation. I do vape 3 mls in 3~4 days, using a Pico Squeeze and Speed Revolution and Strike 14 set up, 30 GA wire, 5 coils on 2mm . The 18650 usually last to me 2 full days and I recharge it when it is at ~30%. From your analysis I think I could try the 14500 mini.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
That is a nice explanation. I do vape 3 mls in 3~4 days, using a Pico Squeeze and Speed Revolution and Strike 14 set up, 30 GA wire, 5 coils on 2mm . The 18650 usually last to me 2 full days and I recharge it when it is at ~30%. From your analysis I think I could try the 14500 mini.

The Strike 14 would be a good choice for a 14500 mini. Beyond that you would need to consider your build choice for the batteries available. The best you can do right now for a 14500 battery would be the current AW 14500 which has a 9 amp CDR rating. I don't see 14500's getting any better than that, just due to the size limitation of the battery.

Just make sure you get AW batteries from an authorized dealer. There are a lot of fake AW's out there.

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Strike 14 would be a good choice for a 14500 mini. Beyond that you would need to consider your build choice for the batteries available. The best you can do right now for a 14500 battery would be the current AW 14500 which has a 9 amp CDR rating. I don't see 14500's getting any better than that, just due to the size limitation of the battery.

Just make sure you get AW batteries from an authorized dealer. There are a lot of fake AW's out there.
FOrgot to mention before that usually my coils are ~1.2 ohm

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

https://www.cremedevape.com/epages/...bjectPath=/Shops/yxve46fvrnud/Products/B63-06

Is this ok?

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Not those. That's the protected ICR chemistry and it only has a CDR rating of 1.5 amps. If you build at 1.2 ohms you will be drawing about 3 amps so - not these.

You want the red ones, the most recent 2016 version. They are safer IMR chemistry and have up to a 9 amp CDR rating. These guys: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/AW IMR14500 650mAh (Red) 2016 UK.html

If you are still sold on the idea of a small 14500 mini I want to make sure you understand that dropping from an 18650 electronic device to a 14500 mechanical is going to result in profoundly shorter run times.

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not those. That's the protected ICR chemistry and it only has a CDR rating of 1.5 amps. If you build at 1.2 ohms you will be drawing about 3 amps so - not these.

You want the red ones, the most recent 2016 version. They are safer IMR chemistry and have up to a 9 amp CDR rating. These guys: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/AW IMR14500 650mAh (Red) 2016 UK.html

If you are still sold on the idea of a small 14500 mini I want to make sure you understand that dropping from an 18650 electronic device to a 14500 mechanical is going to result in profoundly shorter run times.
I guess I understand it... i mean, as said I do vape ~ 1 bottle of Pico Squeeze with one full battery... in 3~4 days

MsLoud

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Understand also that the "hit" is different as well. My all day carries are 14500 mechs built with SS 28g around 1ohm cold. When I put that same atty on a 18650 mech - well, the hit is different. Seems more power faster. Not that either is better or worse but there is a difference. Just so you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
@ituk78

Here:

Reo 14500 mini with a Strike 14. (And stuffs so you get a better idea about size.) 18650 on the left, 14500 on the right.

89JijQHU.jpg

14500 mini with a Little 16 clone. As you can see it's overhanging the 510 platform a bit.

7ympS76q.jpg

VU Sponsors