Become a Patron!

Restore voting rights to felons

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heh. The problem is, while you prop up the "great" state of Texas as having the better policy, the state actually doesn't fair well compared to mine where felons can vote, sit on a jury and etc. Once they are no longer under court supervision.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/crime/

Texas crime rate per 1,000 residence for violent crime is above the national median of 3.8 at 4.06 and sits at 34.25 for all crime.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/id/crime/

Idaho crime rate per 1,000 residence for violent crime is below the national median of 3.8 at 2.12(1/2 of Texas) and sits at 20.67 for all crime.

So, what you call "advocating for criminals" I call advocating for a safer general public. It's just plain common sense that a criminal with nothing to gain has nothing to lose. Restoring basic rights just makes sense in the grand scheme of things. But, you where trained to know better. ;)
in fairness Time Texas has skewed crime stats due to the massive influence of Mexican drug cartels and their nearness to the mexican border.Some of the smartest people I've met are ex-felons and some of the biggest piles of human trash were felons....in truth the occurence of felons recomitting crimes is high...and that is something that can't be ignored.On the other hand they have a unique perspective which makes them valubale to the community.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Texas is no doubt an economic powerhouse. We've been fortunate for quite some time in that regard. Texas is also home to some of the poorest and most undereducated counties in the country. That is especially true in my corner of the state (Deep South).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure Andy you yourself have met ex-felons that were incredible people....probablly better human beings than alot of so called law abiding citizens.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
At this point we've all made our minds up and have crawled to whatever side of the fence we are going to proverbially sit in regards to this issue. You're just trolling at this point. Have a good one. You keep on advocating for criminals and I'll keep throwing them in jail with an eye for getting them sent to prison.

People sometimes do really stupid things when they're young, including crimes. They get caught, because hey, they're young and stupid, often completely overtaken with hormones. But if they have a single brain cell in their head, they make sure that they learn from the experience, and change their lives. I did that. Broke the law when I was 20, got caught, went to jail for some months, got out, had a terrific probation officer, and changed my life completely. I broke the law when I was 20; that does not NOW make me a "criminal." And I resent the hell out of ANY "peace officer" presuming to judge my ENTIRE LIFE by one stupid action which I paid for, very dearly. If you were so fucking peaceful, you'd credit the justice system you're supposed to represent with doing its job: rehabilitation.

Andria

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
People sometimes do really stupid things when they're young, including crimes. They get caught, because hey, they're young and stupid, often completely overtaken with hormones. But if they have a single brain cell in their head, they make sure that they learn from the experience, and change their lives. I did that. Broke the law when I was 20, got caught, went to jail for some months, got out, had a terrific probation officer, and changed my life completely. I broke the law when I was 20; that does not NOW make me a "criminal." And I resent the hell out of ANY "peace officer" presuming to judge my ENTIRE LIFE by one stupid action which I paid for, very dearly. If you were so fucking peaceful, you'd credit the justice system you're supposed to represent with doing its job: rehabilitation.

Andria
rehabilitation is always a personal journey it is not the states job,because the state can't do it....it's a personal choice.....That's what makes reformed felons such remarkable people.

The study, released Tuesday, tracked 404,638 state prisoners from 30 states who were released in 2005. It found that 67.8 percent of them were re-arrested within three years of their release and 76.6 percent were re-arrested within five years. Of the latter group, more than a third were re-arrested in the first six months after leaving prison, and more than half were arrested by the end of the first year, showing that the rate of recidivism was highest during the first year and declined every year after that.

As for cops..I couldn't do that job in a million years, they are the garbage men of our society, the deal with the worst of humanity..the kinda shit the rest of us only see in our nightmeres.....If I rolled up on some call and found a man who molested a 13 year old girl or some stupid ass xxxxxxxxx mother who'd taken an electric cord to her 3 year old son and knocked one of his eyes out...well I'd probablly pull out my gun and shoot the fucks.....at the very least break their kneecaps....I don't know how cops restraint themselves sometimes.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
in fairness Time Texas has skewed crime stats due to the massive influence of Mexican drug cartels and their nearness to the mexican border.Some of the smartest people I've met are ex-felons and some of the biggest piles of human trash were felons....in truth the occurence of felons recomitting crimes is high...and that is something that can't be ignored.On the other hand they have a unique perspective which makes them valubale to the community.

Yeah, I lived in Texas for some time. I also lived with felons for some time. Many of them pure garbage. Criminals that re-offend do so often in most cases and are usually on court supervision. They don't last long enough to have any rights restored so in a state like mine, they will never vote. It's kind of a non issue. Those that don't re-offend usually live pretty normal, sans guns of course. They really ain't much of a threat at the ballot box.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The study, released Tuesday, tracked 404,638 state prisoners from 30 states who were released in 2005. It found that 67.8 percent of them were re-arrested within three years of their release and 76.6 percent were re-arrested within five years. Of the latter group, more than a third were re-arrested in the first six months after leaving prison, and more than half were arrested by the end of the first year, showing that the rate of recidivism was highest during the first year and declined every year after that.

And that is why they are not a problem as far as voting. It's rare for a felon to be released without paper(supervision of some sort). They'll be on parole or for the Feds, supervised released, for a few years. Here, you don't get the basic rights(voting) returned until you are off paper. That means you haven't re-offended for several years after release. Supervision is used to have closer tabs on felons during that higher re-offending window.

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Founders had a logical reason for establishing who could and couldn't vote.
They did not predict the role women could play in business and property ownership, however.
Take this into account , and roll it back to what was originally enacted.
As well as the appointment of Senators by state governors. No more elections for that position. That change screwed things up too.

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did not go out with the intention of committing a felony. I did, however, get into a fight with a person intent on kicking my ass. I was hit first, from behind while trying to walk away from the fight, and had to defend myself.

ddloco

Member For 4 Years
I just don't get it. Cops are gungho about what's right and wrong but when one of they good ol boy cop friends kills a person who's unarmed they cover it up

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

AndyF150

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just don't get it. Cops are gungho about what's right and wrong but when one of they good ol boy cop friends kills a person who's unarmed they cover it up

What incident are you talking about exactly?

ddloco

Member For 4 Years
What incident are you talking about exactly?
All the unjustified 1's
I'm not saying all are not justified, I'm black and I beleive no matter what color you are if your stupid enough to pull a gun on a cop your gonna get exactly what your asking for when they kill your ass. With that said there are times when cops kill people just for the fact that there authority is in ? , police are not my Moma or my daddy and they sure in the hell ain't GOD.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hypothetically, perhaps we should try to boil it down to who should be able to vote instead of who should not be able to vote.

Robert Heinlein wrote a book titled "Starship Troopers".

In that SciFi Universe, only Citizens could vote.

To become a Citizen, you had to have served a stint in the armed services.

Perhaps the requirement should be the above or at least having a GED?

Just kinda thinking out load here.

IMHO, at the minimum, you should be able to get to where you need to be to not only register but to place you vote.

And to have been responsible enough to provide yourself with a proper government ID.

And not not at the last minute so you can place a vote

Not to be bused in and offered a free MacDonald Cheeseburger to Register/Vote.

Back to felons.

That was part of what you could expect BEFORE you committed your crime.

Heck, back when I was in elementary school with Santa Clause, I was taught that in Civic Class.

You commit a crime, you lose your freedom and certain rights.

We don't need felons voting other felons into office.

Kinda explains our elected officials at the moment.

ddloco

Member For 4 Years
Hypothetically, perhaps we should try to boil it down to who should be able to vote instead of who should not be able to vote.

IMHO, at the minimum, you should be able to get to where you need to be to not only register but to place you vote.

And to have been responsible enough to provide yourself with a proper government ID.

Back to felons.

Heck, back when I was in elementary school with Santa Clause, I was taught that in Civic Class.

Well I guess the fine folks of America that doesn't have a record is the felons you speak of because all the people they have elected is a bunch of criminals
PS remember felons are not able to vote so whose to blame

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Back to felons.

Anyone who was in my situation would be a felon right now.

Or dead.

I

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Or dead.

I
its too easy to become a felon in a system that practices unecessary and excessive control on what you can and cannot do, far beyond simply doing harm to others... american judicial system is a business and like most immoral businesses united states is number one in the world as far as inmates per capita.....
for most of you that havent stepped foot in the corrections facilities it isnt just immigrant drug lords and local gang bangers in there... theres a huuuuuge amount of people in there that made a bad choice, in the wrong place at the wrong time and those are the people that are usually victimized and also those are the people that have the hardest time getting out. experienced criminals are experts at slipping through the judicial cracks and while they would most likely land back inside, have a pretty jolly time in and out of the party while the scared fool is stuck in the nightmare.
extensive time and tainted records for non violent offendors is kind of ridiculous and the prisons are full of those.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
its too easy to become a felon in a system that practices unecessary and excessive control on what you can and cannot do, far beyond simply doing harm to others... american judicial system is a business and like most immoral businesses united states is number one in the world as far as inmates per capita.....
for most of you that havent stepped foot in the corrections facilities it isnt just immigrant drug lords and local gang bangers in there... theres a huuuuuge amount of people in there that made a bad choice, in the wrong place at the wrong time and those are the people that are usually victimized and also those are the people that have the hardest time getting out. experienced criminals are experts at slipping through the judicial cracks and while they would most likely land back inside, have a pretty jolly time in and out of the party while the scared fool is stuck in the nightmare.
extensive time and tainted records for non violent offendors is kind of ridiculous and the prisons are full of those.

Agreed.

Put yourself in this situation. You are leaving a party where you had words with someone. You leave and as you do so, you get jumped from behind by said person. You turn around and lay this person out, they go down, you jump on them and you hit them again. You get off him and he doesn't get up. Turns out you hit him just right and you killed him. You get charged with murder, you plea down to criminally negligent homicide and do your 4 years.

You were never in trouble before or after.

You now have a class E felony on your record.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Right here....

Too many people are putting themselves on a pedestal. If you haven't been through something like that, you are clueless. The "legal system" is a monster that serves SELF interests. It isn't about justice and right VS wrong. It's about money and making everyone a "suspect" and a criminal.

Let's just speak on our Texas "peace officer" for a second. If I have 10K in cash, that I intend to use to buy a car, I better have PROOF where I got it from, or officer andy is going to take my money. Take it for his department. ALL legally. Sure, I can fight it in court, costing me several thousand in legal bills, to MAYBE get it back.
But officer Andy is gonna say he suspected it was drug money. Even though he had no proof.

THAT is how the law works.

Anyone that would think everyone convicted of a crime, must be a criminal, is a fool. People get wrongly accused and convicted every day. Sometimes the "accused" is actually a victim.

The blindly supporting cops and the legal system, makes me sick to my stomach. Sure, there are some good people in it, but I think the bad outnumber the good.

This, from people pissed off at the FDA for their dropping the hammer on vaping. The whole system is tied together, people. Someone pissed in the pool (the whole system). You think your corner doesn't have urine in it, but it does.

ddloco

Member For 4 Years
Agreed.

Put yourself in this situation. You are leaving a party where you had words with someone. You leave and as you do so, you get jumped from behind by said person. You turn around and lay this person out, they go down, you jump on them and you hit them again. You get off him and he doesn't get up. Turns out you hit him just right and you killed him. You get charged with murder, you plea down to criminally negligent homicide and do your 4 years.

You were never in trouble before or after.

You now have a class E felony on your record.

Or dead.

I
Three very valid points

VU Sponsors