Become a Patron!

rewraps?

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
mooch keeps talking about rewraps n the problems with them.
does anyone use them?
if so, why?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rewraps are batteries that habve wraps put on them by Efest, etc that most often have outrageous currnet claims and such.
They are not to be trusted. Even if one works for you the next one may have a worse battery under the wrap.

Not to be confused with rewrapping a battery with a damaged wrap.

Watch Mooch's videos and become more educated on vaping battery safety.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePHh3NMvu3rW2LFJeOWo-Q

And here is Moochs blog with his battery test results, recommended batteries and recommended vendors.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePHh3NMvu3rW2LFJeOWo-Q

NEVER buy batteries from Ebay, amazon, etc. Many fake batteries out there that appear to be a safe battery.
the difference between a fake battery and a rewrap is that a fake battery has a substandard cell with a wrap that looks just like a good battery.
A rewrap has a different brand on it like Efest, Rewrappers like efest have been known to wrap 7 amp cells with a wrapper saying 30 amps or more.

And buying GOOD batteries from those on Mooch's approved vendor list is almost always quite a bit cheaper than buying rewarps at a vape shop.
Also almost NEVER trust battery advise from a vape shop employee esp if they recommend an Efest or such.
ALWAYS trust Mooch.

Last edited:

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
i get that, crom.
but people are buying them n i'm curious.

i've memorized all mooch's vids. but thanks..

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i get that, crom.

They buy them out of ignorance of battery safety and becuase that is what most vape shops push.
The vast majority of vapers in the USA buy all their stuff from vape shops.

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ok. that explains it.
i've never been inside a vape shop so didn't know.

in fact, i've never met a vaper, face to face.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went to 4 different vape shops when I first started vaping. Did not have a good experience so have bought all my stuff online ever since.
I meet a few vapers in the big city but know of none around where I live.

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
you know, mooch tests rewraps.
that's what's weird.
if someone sees his review, you'd think they would go to his recommended battery charts.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Please don't trash all vape shops based on your few personal bad experiences. Our local vape shop, for instance, carries authentic Samsung 25R, Samsung 30Q, and Samsung 20S cells. The operator tells the customers that the 30Q are for long life at lower wattages (under 45 per cell), the 25R are decent general purpose batteries (around 60 watts per cell), and the 20S are for high wattage or low builds on mechs. He won't even sell a mech unless the customer knows ohms law and can prove it! In fairness, he does have some old efest 26650 that were in stock before he took over, but he basically gives those away and they come with a slip stating correct amperage, highest recommended wattage, and lowest safe build.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Please don't trash all vape shops based on your few personal bad experiences. Our local vape shop, for instance, carries authentic Samsung 25R, Samsung 30Q, and Samsung 20S cells. The operator tells the customers that the 30Q are for long life at lower wattages (under 45 per cell), the 25R are decent general purpose batteries (around 60 watts per cell), and the 20S are for high wattage or low builds on mechs. He won't even sell a mech unless the customer knows ohms law and can prove it! In fairness, he does have some old efest 26650 that were in stock before he took over, but he basically gives those away and they come with a slip stating correct amperage, highest recommended wattage, and lowest safe build.
There are some good vape shops.
imho they are not the majority though.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a great one here as well. When airmen ask where they can find some good gear locally I tell them that they are the only one that I'd trust. A few years ago I was looking for an mtl rta. They had this Russian 91% that they had FOREVER LOL. They gave it to me free of charge. Of course I was a regular though also so they knew that I was quite familiar with ohm's law. I have that old tank around here somewhere. I have it to mom so if she can find it, I might just build it. It's an amazing vape once you fine tune it right.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Availability. Some of us don't want to wait until the non-rewrap, or OEM version of the same cell becomes available to consumers when the cell in question performs better than all the previous ones... in some cases the OEM cell never becomes available, or it is sold out everywhere within hours after it becomes available and then it just never returns... often times going for the rewraps is the only way to get the best performance.

The only rewrap brands I ever bought were iJoy and Vapcell. iJoy has the (30A CDR as tested by Mooch) 40A 4200mAh 26650 and the (also 30A CDR) original 5-legged non-tabbed 40A 3000mAh 20700, the latter dates back as far as early-mid 2017 and is a rewrap of a Molicel which isn't to be confused with the 4-legged iJoy 20700 nor is to be confused with the tabbed 5-legged iJoy 20700. Other examples of rewraps that I have bought some time ago include the Vapcell black 25A 2800mAh 18650 (a Sony VTC5D rewrap that has been available unlike the Sony VTC6A, not to be confused with the VTC6, and also unlike the Samsung 24S and 25S, back at the time when the Molicel P26A and P28A were also still nowhere close to being there yet...), the Vapcell gold 30A 3100mAh 20700, and the Vapcell purple 35A 3100mAh 21700 (a Samsung 30T rewrap, I live in Europe so this is what I got from NKON in The Netherlands at the time when they didn't yet have the OEM version of the 30T there).

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This has to be just biased personal opinion because if it was true places like LIION wouldn't be in business.
Yes and no. LiIon Wholesale and related sites also cater to flashlight enthusiasts and model makers... they were around before vapers and will be around even if vaping is quashed.

In my experience, A LOT of vapers just don't care enough to check anything. They want the same brain dead experience that cigarettes provided... poke it in your mouth and suck... they'll even complain that it has to be charged, filled, or coils changed. If they complain about that little stuff, how are they going to react when they are told that they also have to pay attention to what batteries they're using.

Believe it or not, vapers on forums like this are a huge minority...

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
i guess i've been lucky.
i've always got the exact batteries i was looking for from liion.
yeah, i initially resented how my life revolved around batteries, but now batteries are my hobby.
if i could find somewhere to find batteries i could salvage, i'd build a power wall

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
In my experience, A LOT of vapers just don't care enough to check anything. They want the same brain dead experience that cigarettes provided... poke it in your mouth and suck... they'll even complain that it has to be charged, filled, or coils changed. If they complain about that little stuff, how are they going to react when they are told that they also have to pay attention to what batteries they're using.

Believe it or not, vapers on forums like this are a huge minority...

this ^ . I have been in vape shops, standing around. many boneheads in there. but boneheads have money.

again, this ^. if even a small % of vapers where on here, this place would be like AVSForum = 1000's and 1000's of active members.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to be active on there for a little while. The main problem on there was about the same as on here.. not a lot of people getting into tube gear, and, unlike the Gearslutz forum website they don't really understand the importance of putting a thick enough cloud up against their ceiling.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've seen people defend rewraps, making the argument that 'some guy' (aka Mooch) doesn't know better than the company making the battery so the outrageous amperage limits printed on the battery MUST be accurate. I get it, people want to have faith in 'professional' things or trust the 'manufacturer' but that's what those battery wraps are counting on. For some folks, depends where in the world they are. Pretty fortunate living in the US with access to 18650 battery store, imr, liionwholesale, illumn and others. Access to damn near any battery out there. Other countries don't always have that luxury so someone may have to choose between efest and trustfire if that's all they can get their hands on. As far as price, the reputable oem's are almost always cheaper than the rewraps so when there's access to them, there is no reason to use sketchy batteries.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
i get that, crom.

Dont waste your time or $. Always buy from a reputable dealer that will stand behind their products authenticity. You save no money when you get a deal on crap.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Dont waste your time or $. Always buy from a reputable dealer that will stand behind their products authenticity. You save no money when you get a deal on crap.
Authenticity and rewraps are two entirely separate things, though. There will always be those who think that, by avoiding any and all rewraps, they are reducing their risk of getting fake cells, but the hurtful truth is they should think again, and, that is what Mooch also says.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've seen people defend rewraps, making the argument that 'some guy' (aka Mooch) doesn't know better than the company making the battery so the outrageous amperage limits printed on the battery MUST be accurate. I get it, people want to have faith in 'professional' things or trust the 'manufacturer' but that's what those battery wraps are counting on. For some folks, depends where in the world they are. Pretty fortunate living in the US with access to 18650 battery store, imr, liionwholesale, illumn and others. Access to damn near any battery out there. Other countries don't always have that luxury so someone may have to choose between efest and trustfire if that's all they can get their hands on. As far as price, the reputable oem's are almost always cheaper than the rewraps so when there's access to them, there is no reason to use sketchy batteries.
AFAIK the OEM version of the iJoy 26650 isn't available to consumers even in the US. The reason why I use this battery in my Vapergate The 99 stacked tube mech mod is because it isn't remotely close to being a sketchy battery, at least not to those who know how to look by using their eyes.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Authenticity and rewraps are two entirely separate things, though. There will always be those who think that, by avoiding any and all rewraps, they are reducing their risk of getting fake cells, but the hurtful truth is they should think again, and, that is what Mooch also says.
I didnt say as anything about not using a rewraped bat. I stated about authenticity. So you know the actual specs of what you are using.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I didnt say as anything about not using a rewraped bat. I stated about authenticity. So you know the actual specs of what you are using.
Yeah, but the specs alone usually aren't enough to make the best battery choice either, as Mooch's test results have revealed numerous times in the past, and besides, the manufacturers tend to leave out all kinds of important details about how they arrived at the numbers that they present to us, and in fact they don't even tell us what those numbers truly mean so most of us end up getting wrong ideas about the actual real world performance (and about part of the safety) because they play the numbers game to trick us in some ways similar to how certain rewrap companies also play it, which is still something that Mooch also has revealed also through his battery testings. But you are right in the particular sense that knowing what cell is under the wrap (i.e. the make and model of the cell under the wrap, and especially that it was manufactured by one of the "Big Four", Sony/Murata or Samsung or LG or Panasonic/Sanyo, or by Molicel) and knowing the provenance of the cell (i.e. under what conditions the cell was stored and for how long, the manufacturing date and the history of the cell, where the cell came from before they sold it to us) is a good starting point in doing our research for our defense, even though there are some good China manufactured cells to be found according to Mooch if you know how to carefully look for them.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, but the specs alone usually aren't enough to make the best battery choice either, as Mooch's test results have revealed numerous times in the past, and besides, the manufacturers tend to leave out all kinds of important details about how they arrived at the numbers that they present to us, and in fact they don't even tell us what those numbers truly mean so most of us end up getting wrong ideas about the actual real world performance (and about part of the safety) because they play the numbers game to trick us in some ways similar to how certain rewrap companies also play it, which is still something that Mooch also has revealed also through his battery testings. But you are right in the particular sense that knowing what cell is under the wrap (i.e. the make and model of the cell under the wrap, and especially that it was manufactured by one of the "Big Four", Sony/Murata or Samsung or LG or Panasonic/Sanyo, or by Molicel) and knowing the provenance of the cell (i.e. under what conditions the cell was stored and for how long, the manufacturing date and the history of the cell, where the cell came from before they sold it to us) is a good starting point in doing our research for our defense, even though there are some good China manufactured cells to be found according to Mooch if you know how to carefully look for them.
I always look at what mooch has to say. Always buy from big 4 from a reputable dealer. I tried to catch a deal on ebay and got faked. Now i will only use the fakes i have for mtl cbd set up. Higher ohms watts under 15. N they work well for that in all honesty.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I used to be active on there for a little while. The main problem on there was about the same as on here.. not a lot of people getting into tube gear, and, unlike the Gearslutz forum website they don't really understand the importance of putting a thick enough cloud up against their ceiling.

I have a cloud. makes a big different, most people have no idea. but then, most people don't have high performance HT, so it would be null to them.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I always look at what mooch has to say. Always buy from big 4 from a reputable dealer. I tried to catch a deal on ebay and got faked. Now i will only use the fakes i have for mtl cbd set up. Higher ohms watts under 15. N they work well for that in all honesty.
According to Mooch there's no real reason to necessarily always want to stick to the "Big 4", as Molicel are in the same ballpark about reliability, they make some of the best performing cells (e.g., the P26A 18650, the P28A 18650, and the P42A 21700) and, what's more, currently Molicel are the ONLY battery manufacturer that truly cares about vapers.

As for vaping CBD, simply dripping a few drops of reasonably strong CBD e-liquid on top of regular juice in an RDA at high wattage works perfect TBH.

Last edited:

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
As for vaping CBD, simply dripping a few drops of reasonably strong CBD e-liquid on top of regular juice in an RDA at high wattage works perfect TBH.[/QUOTE]
And that is what i used to do. But my wife for the life of her cant hit any thing but low wat mtl. I won the pod, so i figured perfect for her and cbd. I sm slowly getting her off ciggs. But she is a stubborn almost 30 year menthol smoker. So there is no rushing her if i want to succeed.

VU Sponsors