Become a Patron!

RTA Recommendations For A Newbie/A Safety Question.

wilderbeast123

Member For 1 Year
Hi all!

I am finally going to delve into a rebuildable! Looking for an easy to build, RTA for sub-ohm vaping to replace my Fireluke 2 tank.

I usually vape around 70watts and get through a coil per week. I have heard about how rebuildable coils are much cheaper and how the flavour is much stronger. Two things that have peeked my interest...

What would you recommend for a newbie?

Also a side question, my only anxiety driven thoughts about rebuildable coils are the whole 'vape explosion' headlines. I understand that these explosions come from a mix of rebuildable tanks AND the mod itself, I will be using the Aegis Legend 200watt mod which is of course regulated, and comes with the safety chips. I have zero interest in going down the mechanical mod road. Am I just as safe with a rebuildable tank as I am with a tank that uses pre build coils like the one I currently use?

Many thanks!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
There are many tanks that would meet your needs. The Aromamizer RTAs are well liked by most. Just go reading through the threads in this section for ideas. If you're in the US you need to decide quickly as the vape mail ban is coming in days.

As far as safety, if the coils you build are within the range supported by your mod you will be fine. It will display the resistance (ohms) of your coils. Watch build videos on YouTube for how to make coils as well as the New Builders Corner and Coil Building sections here on VU. I've been building my own since 2014 and no explosions here.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I have zero interest in going down the mechanical mod road. Am I just as safe with a rebuildable tank as I am with a tank that uses pre build coils like the one I currently use?
On a regulated mod, yes. Basically, the only difference is if you allow a rebuildable coil to touch somewhere it shouldn't when the atty is assembled,, at which point the regulated mod wouldn't fire. Well, there could be a situation where something, like a coil leg is loose, so in that way you could get erratic behavior from the mod like fluctuating resistance or error massage.

I understand that these explosions come from a mix of rebuildable tanks AND the mod itself
Yep, mech mods. 99.9% of the time it's the user not understanding what they need to understand to be safe, before using them. Mostly battery limitations imo.
Even with regulated you still want to use batteries that have enough power for said vape.

For your circumstance/timeline consider buying several different ones, mods too and can be found on good sales.

Aromamizer V2 Plus Advanced Kit and add the newest single coil deck.
For smaller, the V3.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I hadn't used or had much interest in a mesh RTA till I won a Unity in a contest. Finicky to wick but the flavor was great, but it was tall, I don't like tall. Got Doom when it came out and it is great too, and looks better :D So the Unity went on the shelf and eventually sold.
I was considering Aromamizer Plus V2 and all but pulled the trigger knowing I had 2 mods on which it would not overhang. Then this one appeared:
Damn Vape Doom X Mesh RTA is a great. I just got it 10 days ago and have used with an included mesh strip. Billed as easiest to wick, great flavor and it is [better than Unity/og Doom], and supposedly good for single coil and soon to try that. Works with all standard mesh like OFRF/Wotofo....

For coils I'd suggest member built as they/we can help with selection.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
+1 for any and all Aromamizer tanks. Some have the option of coming with an "advanced kit" that includes a single coil deck and a mesh deck, typically, along with the standard dual coil deck. Can also buy these other decks separately.

But if you are just getting into building and don't want to buy pre-made coil materials, note that the mesh decks will need mesh screens that are precut to fit the deck. A few come with the deck but you'd have to purchase more screens ongoingly, or buy spooled mesh wire (of the right type, i.e. kanthal, SS, etc) and cut it to the proper width and length.

For a newbie just getting into building a standard deck is probably easier to start with since wire is more readily available and there's a ton more info out there for building standard decks. Then could try mesh later if of interest. Just my opinion of course.

You can start with simple round wire coils, kanthol or NI80 24 or 26 gauge. There are plenty of instructional videos on how-to, they will be just fine to get started, there are a ton of good RTAs on the market. Watch some reviews on YouTube. Your mod is perfectly capable of running RTAs. Read up on battery safety and get to know steam-engine.org it has a coil calculator that will let you know based on your wire type and size what your resistance should be when you are done.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors