Become a Patron!

RX 200 / Krixus a bad combo?

lotsofplywood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey everyone!

So I work at a vape shop and we recently got in the Krixus tanks. I have been raving about ceramic coils and the general principle of them sounds awesome. The krixus itself seems amazing on all mods, but it seems we keep having issues with people who run the Krixus on a RX 200. Is there a good answer for that? Its tungsten that heats the ceramic portion, so I have been trying to figure out if the amp output is too high for the Krixus. Thoughts?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are they running it in power mode or TC? What is the resistance of the coil?

TCR-500x281.jpg

Ohms-Law-Formula-Wheel.png

Cheers,
Steve

lotsofplywood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
These RX200's aren't the DNA version. Most customers use watts. Also the resistance should be 0.3, but because of the tungsten, it fluctuates a lot. It just seems to be burning up the tungsten super fast.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've run about 4 or 5 tanks through mine today and it's still behaving well (60 watts). This is the RX version - how long are they saying the coils are lasting? Are they changing the cotton perhaps and having an issue with dry burning?

lotsofplywood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its been three days for most of them to go through both. I am playing with one now, its perfect leaving the store. When they come back, only one side is heating up, like a massive hot spot. The coils read at 0.7 or higher when cooled off, and they are supposed to be around 0.3.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, how much juice do they go through in 3 days, I wonder? For me that would be 90ml but for some it could be 15 ml LOL After about 20 or 24 mls my coil has gone from 0.3 to 0.47. I'm hesitant to take it apart to check the cotton, because I already have to wick the second coil (when I pulled the top off the cotton went with it!)

How many people are we talking about and how many have used the Krixus on other mods?

lotsofplywood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well that's the thing. Every other mod its working great on. Just not the RX200. That's why I think it might have something to do with the amps.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well that's the thing. Every other mod its working great on. Just not the RX200. That's why I think it might have something to do with the amps.
That's why I asked how many we were talking about! Let me know what you figure out :)

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At the same wattage setting the amps shouldn't be any different with the RX. The amperage is dependent on the power setting and resistance of the coil.
Amps = square root of (watts/ohms)

lotsofplywood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well what I think I am trying to say is the RX reads resistance of coils a little different than a lot of the newer devices. A lot of the newer ones read the resistance once prompted to, and then it stays. The RX doesn't, at least not on wattage mode. So I think on wattage mode, that pulse it sends is jacking up the tungsten, because apparently this is happening suddenly for some people.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well what I think I am trying to say is the RX reads resistance of coils a little different than a lot of the newer devices. A lot of the newer ones read the resistance once prompted to, and then it stays. The RX doesn't, at least not on wattage mode. So I think on wattage mode, that pulse it sends is jacking up the tungsten, because apparently this is happening suddenly for some people.
My resistance has now gone up to 0.66, and I'm getting a lot less vapor/flavor out of it. When I rewick the other coil I'll try it on another box and see what it does!

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All I was trying to say is for this example:
60 watts power setting with a .3 ohm load. The amperage would be 14.14 amps whether using it on a DNA200 that can supply 50 amps or a Cuboid that can supply 25 amps. I don't have the RX but do have the Reuleaux DNA200. I was assuming the mod is working properly, reading resistance correctly, etc.

I will also say this, I'm not sure how the coil(s) are set up on that atomizer but I build dual coil RTA's and if the resistance doubles, that means one of my coils are blown/shorted (resistance is cut in half when 2 coils are connected in parallel so if one is taken out of the circuit, the resistance will double).

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All I was trying to say is for this example:
60 watts power setting with a .3 ohm load. The amperage would be 14.14 amps whether using it on a DNA200 that can supply 50 amps or a Cuboid that can supply 25 amps. I don't have the RX but do have the Reuleaux DNA200. I was assuming the mod is working properly, reading resistance correctly, etc.

I will also say this, I'm not sure how the coil(s) are set up on that atomizer but I build dual coil RTA's and if the resistance doubles, that means one of my coils are blown/shorted (resistance is cut in half when 2 coils are connected in parallel so if one is taken out of the circuit, the resistance will double).
The heating element is ceramic. There's tungsten involved somewhere, but I'm not sure where (Mike Vapes ruined one taking it apart LOL). If I've blown a coil after less than a day I'll be sad - the replacements are expensive! But I'll try the next one on another box to see.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, so it turns out the cotton needed changing and the coil needed cleaning (it was black). The resistance was all over the place, but once I took off the cotton it was back to normal. Even so, I wicked the other coil and am using that on an Istick 100 to see what it does.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, hell. I got one vape out of it, let it sit, and now I'm getting 'atomizer low' on both boxes. This is a never used, rewicked coil.

I'll play again in the morning - just annoyed now....LOL

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was getting ready to order one of these.
Glad I found this thread.
Waiting and watching to see how this turns out.
I'm wanting to try ceramic but not wanting to have these issues.
Hopefully its just a few coils that QC fell asleep on.
I can deal with a few bad coils, however I'd like to avoid total chaos and disaster.
Wish you all the best of luck and hope you resolve this without extra time or cost.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe stop selling people janky, buggy tech. Metal wire only coils work just fine. Theory and reality obviously aren't matching up. I applaud you for coming here to try and figure out what's going on, but selling unproven tech to your customers isn't good for your employer or their patrons. Sell them known good stuff, not might be good stuff. Personally I'm tired of being used as a beta tester unless the gear is free.

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe stop selling people janky, buggy tech. Metal wire only coils work just fine. Theory and reality obviously aren't matching up. I applaud you for coming here to try and figure out what's going on, but selling unproven tech to your customers isn't good for your employer or their patrons. Sell them known good stuff, not might be good stuff. Personally I'm tired of being used as a beta tester unless the gear is free.
I couldn't agree more.

The problem with the Krixus isn't the design but the Tungsten wire. Tungsten is brittle and that is the reason it is almost always alloyed. SS or a Ti-Tungsten alloy wire and the Krixus would probably be a great tank.

lotsofplywood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I agree, and I can definitely talk with the owner about this tank. In my defense, this tank comes from a company that has known and very good products. Also, most new products we don't push hard, we just give the info if asked about it. But I do agree, I always try to sell what I know works well together.

Update: I think its a weak design, the tungsten doesn't seem to be able to hold up to the temp and watts it says it can. I am still doing research, and the more I learn, the more I will get back to you.

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im pretty new to vaping but I realized that on some mods, you have to:

1. Fire without an atomizer to reset the resistance

2. Screw the tank in to get resistance

3. Lock in the resistance

I learned this after I got a Smok X Cube since what it does is it memorises the resistance of the last tank you had on it and keep that resistance even after you screw in a different tank. Burnt several coils because of this feature. On my VTC Mini and Kanger Mini, the coils is constantly read so there's no danger in burning out the coils even if you keep swapping tanks.

lotsofplywood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im pretty new to vaping but I realized that on some mods, you have to:

1. Fire without an atomizer to reset the resistance

2. Screw the tank in to get resistance

3. Lock in the resistance

I learned this after I got a Smok X Cube since what it does is it memorises the resistance of the last tank you had on it and keep that resistance even after you screw in a different tank. Burnt several coils because of this feature. On my VTC Mini and Kanger Mini, the coils is constantly read so there's no danger in burning out the coils even if you keep swapping tanks.

Yep, that's how it works, and thank you! A good point to bring up!

The issue though is the RX200 is tearing up these tungsten coils in wattage mode. Because of how tungsten is, the resistance moves a lot during firing, so locking the resistance on these coils I wouldn't recommend. Since its not locked though, I feel that the pulse it uses to read the resistance might be too high for this brittle tungsten.

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, that's how it works, and thank you! A good point to bring up!

The issue though is the RX200 is tearing up these tungsten coils in wattage mode. Because of how tungsten is, the resistance moves a lot during firing, so locking the resistance on these coils I wouldn't recommend. Since its not locked though, I feel that the pulse it uses to read the resistance might be too high for this brittle tungsten.
You're welcome! Just trying to help out although I'm sure you know more about vaping than I do. Sometimes it's the little steps that we tend to forget though so I thought thos might help.

Good luck and I hope you solve your problem soon!

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think there is something to be said for sticking with the tried and true method of bare wire (I prefer SS430) with a wicking material (I prefer Japanese Organic cotton pads) running through it. I use mainly Billow V2's and UD Bellus's to a lesser extent. I'm a TC kind of guy and these RTA's work great every time. I have yet to buy a Griffin because I don't use Claptons or other exotic builds and don't want to give up the 5ml juice capacity (for 3.5ml) for a bigger build deck that I don't currently need. I get great flavor with plenty of vapor to suit my needs. Not saying I won't end up getting one in the future, but for now I'm perfectly content with what I'm using. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm trying not to give up on my Krixius - before I had to rewick the flavor was amazing, but this thing is a total pia to rewick, and I just can't get the same performance so far. And, yes, the resistance moves a lot. I suspect this will end up in the back of a drawer :-(

lotsofplywood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm trying not to give up on my Krixius - before I had to rewick the flavor was amazing, but this thing is a total pia to rewick, and I just can't get the same performance so far. And, yes, the resistance moves a lot. I suspect this will end up in the back of a drawer :-(

I really hope that's not the case....Both are great items to have, I think its just a bad combo. Horizontech could have done a lot better than straight forward bare tungsten, and they should have done titanium or SS alloy with it. Tungsten by itself, getting heated and cooled over and over again, gets way too brittle for vaping. And who knows what the juice is doing to make it worse.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm about to throw this thing in a drawer! I've rewicked it a half dozen times, and I just can't get either the flavor/vapor or the draw like it was with the stock wicking. And I can't stop the gurgling. The ceramic is slightly crooked, so I do wonder if that's the problem. Good news is that MVS are sending me a replacement coil to replace the one from the box that was bad.

lotsofplywood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm about to throw this thing in a drawer! I've rewicked it a half dozen times, and I just can't get either the flavor/vapor or the draw like it was with the stock wicking. And I can't stop the gurgling. The ceramic is slightly crooked, so I do wonder if that's the problem. Good news is that MVS are sending me a replacement coil to replace the one from the box that was bad.

What I am noticing is that it can't be crooked, if it is, that changes the ohms and how the heat is transferred. Wicking it is tougher to explain. Did you wrap the cotton around to the right? If not, it tends to bunch up when you put the cap back on. What I have noticed is you need to wrap the cotton the same direction you turn the cap to tighten it down. That may help....I hope!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What I am noticing is that it can't be crooked, if it is, that changes the ohms and how the heat is transferred. Wicking it is tougher to explain. Did you wrap the cotton around to the right? If not, it tends to bunch up when you put the cap back on. What I have noticed is you need to wrap the cotton the same direction you turn the cap to tighten it down. That may help....I hope!
Yes, wrapped the cotton correctly. But I can't straighten the crooked ceramic without breaking the tungsten - I don't think? I also noticed when I dry burn it does one side much more than the other....

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, wrapped the cotton correctly. But I can't straighten the crooked ceramic without breaking the tungsten - I don't think? I also noticed when I dry burn it does one side much more than the other....
When that happens in my Billow or Bellus it's either one of the coils is messed up or one of the coil screws isn't tight.

lotsofplywood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea that's the crooked ceramic part affecting it. I am not sure if bending it back will mess up the tungsten of not. :/
I can say though that we are finding that if you are having "atomizer short" pop up a lot, try taking the base off, and push the pin at the bottom out just a little bit. We think it might be strengthening the connection.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea that's the crooked ceramic part affecting it. I am not sure if bending it back will mess up the tungsten of not. :/
I can say though that we are finding that if you are having "atomizer short" pop up a lot, try taking the base off, and push the pin at the bottom out just a little bit. We think it might be strengthening the connection.
Only on one atty - the other one is fine. But I'll try the pin trick!

I suspect the qc on these is bad...

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Def. bad qc, I have the exact same issues as amanda, my one coil is crooked and only burns on one side. as well the rewicking done every which way ends up with gurgling and spitting.

Anyone want one slightly used tank and one brand new in box?

VU Sponsors