Become a Patron!

SAY IT HERE!!!!!

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and Silver Streak were my faves... Anyone know what was the cause of his demise? I know he wasn't a spring chicken, but he wasn't THAT old.... Mel Brooks is still kickin!

Andria
He died from complications of Alzheimer's disease. He was 86 years old. A long life for a man.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
He died from complications of Alzheimer's disease. He was 86 years old. A long life for a man.

Yeah, I guess it is. Mel Brooks must be in his 90s then. Seems to me, with Wilder's passing, that all of Brooks' favorite co-workers must now be gone.

Andria

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
9AuueSJ.gif

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just puttin' this out there - I HATE MOVING!!! I think I'd rather have a boil implant while sucking on a hairy toilet brush.....
That is all.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just puttin' this out there - I HATE MOVING!!! I think I'd rather have a boil implant while sucking on a hairy toilet brush.....
That is all.

Yeah, I'd pretty much go along with that. And waiting on closing is in the same category... "Oh, you owe the library where you lived 14 yrs ago 80 cents." :facepalm:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can't say I really hate it, but it's definitely one of the many things I procrastinate doing. :D Along with mixing ejuice, of course. :D

Andria

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, great... this is an inspiration to someone who's got his first RTAs coming tomorrow or Friday. :huh:
No, you WILL prefer the flavor and everything. I'm not into fancy building or anything. I do prefer to wrap a coil, over buying coils, only to toss them when they're done. I think what I dislike the most is the maintenance. I have 2 flavors I vape all day, everyday, then whatever else suits me, at the time. Certain flavors I vape require more maintenance than others. That's the part I dislike, LOL.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
it looks like a big investment but its worth it
kidneypuncher.com/kuro-concepts-coil-winder-clone

I started building 3 years ago and used a cut piece of wire hanger as a jig for 2 years. I have good eyes, and steady hands and what not. it just makes life easy. and there are other options similar out there too
Well, great... this is an inspiration to someone who's got his first RTAs coming tomorrow or Friday. :huh:

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
it looks like a big investment but its worth it
kidneypuncher.com/kuro-concepts-coil-winder-clone

I started building 3 years ago and used a cut piece of wire hanger as a jig for 2 years. I have good eyes, and steady hands and what not. it just makes life easy. and there are other options similar out there too
Have to plead ignorance. What's the difference between using a jig and using a screwdriver as a jig?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Kuro that hates me. Simple for everyone else, but mine always came out mangled. If I make my own, I'm using a screwdriver. But I do prefer customs that I can't make myself and in that case, Fasttech has come in very handy. ;)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Have to plead ignorance. What's the difference between using a jig and using a screwdriver as a jig?
the way the coiler works ... it forces you to wrap extra tight coils
if you want spaced just pull them loose and push them back and they will get perfectly even spaced.

these things are really made for a new builder and make is extra easy

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Me, too. I'd rather do that than buy them, though. I'm a cheapo.
I have to be el cheapo these days. I think I was frustrated with this clapton coil I put in the KV5. It was a prefab coil from aspire and a piece of crap. Therefore, pushing me to make my own. I just wish I could make it fun. It's quite the chore to me.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have to be el cheapo these days. I think I was frustrated with this clapton coil I put in the KV5. It was a prefab coil from aspire and a piece of crap. Therefore, pushing me to make my own. I just wish I could make it fun. It's quite the chore to me.
ive been sticking with advanced vape supply or the prefab Clapton and fused Clapton. - zero complaints

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
the way the coiler works ... it forces you to wrap extra tight coils
if you want spaced just pull them loose and push them back and they will get perfectly even spaced.

these things are really made for a new builder and make is extra easy
Thanks, very informative. From long term work wiring bonsai, painting miniatures, and a brief jack-of-all jobs position in a jewelry firm, I think it might be easier and quicker for me, personally, to just do it myself on a precision screwdriver. Time will tell. I may be buying a jig, who knows.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use this for making the coils. I bought it at vaporbeast.
shopping
LOL, no problem. I'm really mostly worried about wicking and getting wick placement right. For me, I think wrapping the coils won't be all that difficult. I still have to investigate how many wraps for dual coil SS316L 28g to get to 0.5Ω, but I'll worry about that when I have the stuff in hand.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I squint even wearing my glasses, my hands don't always like to cooperate.
LOL, no problem. I'm really mostly worried about wicking and getting wick placement right. For me, I think wrapping the coils won't be all that difficult. I still have to investigate how many wraps for dual coil SS316L 28g to get to 0.5Ω, but I'll worry about that when I have the stuff in hand.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp plug in the appropriate values and it will get you there :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Depending on the RTA you have coming, or the ones you get in the future, many of them, these days, you can put some pretty hefty ones in them. At the very least, you've got yourself a great start! Even if you have to raise the resistance a bit, at first, you're well on your way.

Steam engine is good for all kinds of things. Hang onto it, if you haven't already.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Depending on the RTA you have coming, or the ones you get in the future, many of them, these days, you can put some pretty hefty ones in them. At the very least, you've got yourself a great start! Even if you have to raise the resistance a bit, at first, you're well on your way.

Steam engine is good for all kinds of things. Hang onto it, if you haven't already.
Already bookmarked. :D

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use a drillbit to wrap my coils on. Always 3/32, because I KNOW how much wick to use for that size. Anywhere from 7-9 wraps, though if I was forced to use 28ga instead of 29ga, I'd probably make it 10 wraps and turn up the power a little.

Learning to make coils isn't hard. Learning the exactly-correct amount of wick, that can really be a challenge. Once you get it all down pat, it takes 5 or 10 minutes, tops. But it's one of those tedious chores that's easier to procrastinate than actually get off your butt and do, until the flavor really forces you to.

Andria

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What's the difference between using a jig and using a screwdriver as a jig?

Just One Guy's Shitty Opinion
I have a jig, but mostly use it like a screwdriver; not the way you're supposed to. My hand-wrapped coils turn out better, but I definitely use both ends of the jig to press the coils together once the wrapping's finished. Do I like the jig? Yes. Would I buy another? Nope.

Extra-Credit Rambling
Don't you feel great knowing the media thinks we're all so dumb, we need our facts pre-counted? And that we can't handle more than 5 facts at once?

5 Facts Bullshit.png

Note: This was what came up after searching for "Baylee Curran"... not "Baylee Curran 5" or some other bullshit that could have helped prove my point.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just One Guy's Shitty Opinion
I have a jig, but mostly use it like a screwdriver; not the way you're supposed to. My hand-wrapped coils turn out better, but I definitely use both ends of the jig to press the coils together once the wrapping's finished. Do I like the jig? Yes. Would I buy another? Nope.

Extra-Credit Rambling
Don't you feel great knowing the media thinks we're all so dumb, we need our facts pre-counted? And that we can't handle more than 5 facts at once?

View attachment 60489

Note: This was what came up after searching for "Baylee Curran"... not "Baylee Curran 5" or some other bullshit that could have helped prove my point.

I think it's actually the media who are so dumb, if the facts can't be counted on one hand, they're hopelessly lost. Because they need their other hand to hold the microphone.

I always enjoy your rants; when I see your posts pop up on my alerts, I'm like, "ooh goodie, let's see what today's rant is." :giggle:

Andria

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As far as the jig vs screwdriver/drill bit vs whatever to wrap coils....

I personally use a "universal tool". It's similar to a kuro. I can wrap coils to 3 or 3.5 mm. Works like a charm, and makes my simple coils tight like I want them. No fuss, no tossing coils because I'm not happy.

Personally, I would never buy a jig or the stepped down coil winder stick again.

For the measly ten bucks I gave for my coil tool, I'd do it again and again. It just WORKS. Hell, I have even rolled coils with Clapton wire with this tool.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Exactly the point I'm making..

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Fuckity.

Microsoft decided to hijack my computer for 90 minutes with some gigantic Win 10 update.
Now my decent laptop is close to brick. Three hours and counting trying to get this POS functional again.

So here's your warning: if you have Win 10, don't shut your shit down until you have clean-up time available.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about Linux. I have Ubuntu. I just need Windows for work.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about Wine.
Leave me alone.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Fuckity.

Microsoft decided to hijack my computer for 90 minutes with some gigantic Win 10 update.
Now my decent laptop is close to brick. Three hours and counting trying to get this POS functional again.

So here's your warning: if you have Win 10, don't shut your shit down until you have clean-up time available.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about Linux. I have Ubuntu. I just need Windows for work.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about Wine.
Leave me alone.

I'm just glad my laptop runs win8.1. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm equally as glad I haven't had a machine running any flavor of 8. :p

I learned with DOS 4.0 -- NEVER EVER use anything Microsloth makes when it's a brand new x.0 release -- wait for .1, or .01 at the very least. Last year when I finally had the funds to replace my obsolete WinXP Pro machine, I was really glad to see that 8 had become 8.1, and I haven't had any problems with it.

Andria

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I found 8 tougher to get used to, didn't like it, necessarily. 10 sucked when it first came out, I uninstalled it. Later it decided to re-install without me. Bugs were worked out, haven't had any trouble from it since.

I've heard that everyone will practically be forced to move to 10 eventually. Don't know, but glad I'm using it already.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm on 7 never installed the update. I figure by the time I have to really upgrade I'll need to update with a new laptop.

I just finished a 4 hour CPR class for healthcare professionals. My brain is fried. They have a updated (new to me) section on opioid overdose.

VU Sponsors