Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Vape Dudes & Dudettes-

This thread will be for talking about what's happening in the shop. Special projects, experiments, possible new products, things you might like to see designed, etc...

To start, I'll highlight some work on a large juice bar holder for a B&M I'm currently working on:

Mainly been lost in the shop working on the "major wood" holder - it's getting close:
26645422711_e93683852c_c.jpg

Each piece has it's front edge hand sanded to it's finished profile. If you look closely, you can see the paper template on the far side of the board. This is a single piece of African Padauk - 12" x 45". Made a custom radius Maple sandpaper block to hand sand both the convex and concave curves of all pieces.
26645422601_ea0671f117_c.jpg

These are the three steps of the holder. They have been machine sanded almost to finished size. The hole location templates were taped to the pieces after hand sanding of the front edges. I hand punch the center of each hole before the holes are created.
26645419951_eaee3669da_c.jpg

Boring the juice bottle holes on the top step. All steps are drilled, then the tool is changed to drill the tank holes.
26645422881_6f68bf494f_c.jpg

Boring the tank holes on the bottom (base) of the holder. The tool drills both the main hole and the smaller hole for the tank connector at the same time. The juice bottle holes have previously been drilled.
26645421601_af22c05479_c.jpg

Finally! What a boring job... Sorry, couldn't resist. :p That's 160 holes! :eek: Took hours...

These pieces are just sitting on one another. The bottom is sanded to exact size - the back edges of the second and top step have been left a little oversize. The bottom two steps will be glued, then the excess material from the second step will be trimmed off to exactly match the profile of the bottom piece. Then the process will be repeated for the top piece.

Back to the shop!

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Everyone-

Well, I've been busy in the shop with the Major Wood Holder. I have a few more pics:
26826582035_159a0fb64e_c.jpg

This is the clamp up of the bottom two layers - it's upside down in this shot. Took 20 clamps to properly compress the glue up.
26826582075_b477bdd40f_c.jpg

Here's another view of the same clamp up. Great looking edge grain on the Wenge. Hard to tell from this shot, but the Padauk (red) is hanging over the Wenge, and will be trimmed off.
26826581615_378aebdb5d_c.jpg

Here are the two pieces out of the clamps - right side up. Trimming the Padauk flush with the bottom layer of Wenge. A little sanding of the trimmed edges, and it's ready for the third and final piece.
26826581475_b0b98b5f3f_c.jpg

The last piece glued and clamped in place. Once out of the clamps, one more trim across the back & some sanding - the fabrication and assembly are complete! Tomorrow it will get it's soak in oil finish then about three days to fully dry before start of the clear coats. Big holder.
26759358681_b6c21d511f_c.jpg

Some holders, however, aren't so big at all... :D:D Not much bigger than a business card...

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Vapers-

Howz everyone coping? Stick with it - we're no longer fighting a ghost, we have our enemy's plans now. We finally know what we're fighting, so it can really start. Head's up proud!

How about something more fun to look at? A giant holder in the final stages - ready for finishing:
26876820802_74220c0dd9_c.jpg

I neglected to shoot any pics during the application of oil (usually pretty boring). I made a temporary 3" tall frame big enough to set the holder in, lined it with landscape plastic, and poured a can of oil finish in before setting the stand in it. "Basted" it for about an hour (@90 degrees ;) )with a turkey baster. Took about 1/2 hour just to wipe it down!
26876820982_b27a205741_c.jpg

Oiled up and ready for Clear Coat. This is the stepped side of the holder. I use a Polyurethane product that is actually a floor finish - I don't walk on the stands though...
26876821042_a78ded0c0b_c.jpg

A view from the "built up" side. Several coats of clear will be applied with super fine sanding between the coats. As many as 10 coats of clear will be applied.

Well, I'm off to the shop again, sanding and shooting! Talk again in some days-

Toots,

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey All!

Hope you had a great weekend. I have finished pics of the "giant" holder. It's ready to hit the mailways to it's new owner.

If I may add a personal note - Did you hear about the shitstorm that Joe & Tyger were put through over on vapers.tv? There's a thread here. I wrote [email protected] a nasty email - please consider doing the same.

27163404456_368271906a_c.jpg

Didn't shoot a pic, but on the bottom it has a strip about 3" wide around the perimeter that is flocked black.

26590748004_5f27c1a6d4_c.jpg

A closer view of the built up side - nice grain on the Wenge. All the holes removed several pounds from it. It ended up weighing about 22-1/2 pounds as seen here (empty).

My customer doesn't know it, but when they open their box, there is a small surprise in there for them:

26591253764_b874842774_c.jpg

CAD drawing makes this easy. I just took the original drawing and asked the program to scale the holder to an overall length of 6". The actual thickness of each piece would only be 1/16" to match the scale, but was made with 1/4" strips for practicality. Took less than 1/2 hour to make it.

That's it for this project - well, the customer is already talking about another one based on the communication and all the pics so far. Hope so - ;)

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanx much for the compliment - did you check out the Photography thread?

Hey-

Well, the 15" holder is nearly done - flocking to do. Some rework has reared it's ugly head...

But, I'm starting on a new adventure - I'll give you a hint

Just bought a DNA75 chipset, now I'm looking at button pushers, figured wood & burl, damascus plate...

Not sure where this will lead, have to give it a try after the designs are done-

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, been busy designing at my 3D Workstation-

27988122285_259f11c6d8_c.jpg

Stainless Steel Faceplate & Buttons shown.
27948759286_4ea9233dd0_o.jpg

View of the PV "chopped" in half, exposing the inner structures.

Modeled in a single block of Oak for the moment. All USA parts, US designed and manufactured.

I have partnered with a good friend of mine who was an electronics tech in the Coast Guard. His specialty was circuit board and micro-electronics soldering - perfect for this purpose.

The parts used include the Evolv DNA75 chipset with temp control & much more, a Fat Daddy's 510 Woody connector and a Keystone battery sled.

Part of the design includes a handful of 3D Printed parts including the chipset mount/button pusher; the battery sled holder & the Faceplate.

So far, I've created three different Faceplates. A flat, featureless basic Face; a flat version "Ohm" Faceplate (shown above), and a Faceplate with a contoured surface that provides a buildup around the buttons to prevent accidental firing:
27704081290_476fbfe74b_c.jpg

The Faceplates (and buttons) will be available in Plastic, Stainless Steel & Brass (shown above).

This MOD is the first design - a single 18650 DNA75 made as reasonably small as possible:
1-1/4"w x 1-5/8"d x 4-3/8"h. The battery access door is on the edge opposite the Faceplate, slides open and closed, and uses magnets to hold the closed position.

I have an animation of the complete PV coming apart & it shows the door sliding out. For whatever reason, I can't post it - I get an oversized graphic saying something about a capcha, but can't seem to get past it. It's on Flickr here.

An raytraced frame from the animation:
27988089385_ce25b6920d_c.jpg

The doors are cut from the block early in the production process, so they will match the grain when in place. Three different versions of the bodies will be produced - single species solid block; multi-layered, multi species laminated blocks (like our vape stands); and stabilized wood/resin blocks similar to:
s-l1600.jpg

This is from one of my favorite sellers on FleaBay.

As said, this single 18650 version is the first design. A very similar dual 18650 version with the sliding door on the side is currently on the drawing board. A third, Side by Side style is also in my head and waiting to be designed after the dual battery MOD is designed next.

Also considering looking into 26650 possibilities too. Well, whatever I can finalize designs on and have available for order by August 8th...

I still have to order some 3D printed parts to test out sizing and looks before we can build the initial test units. Need to test machining methods and work out proper order of operations, etc...

They will actually be two DNA40's from dis-assembled new PV's (bought for this) and one with a new DNA75 chipset. Probably one in single species with a plastic faceplate, multi lamination version, and I have a pretty cool purple, blue, slate and orange piece of stabilized maple burl I will probably utilize for one of them.

Sorry, but the three test units already have been assigned for local evaluation.

Pricing has not been determined yet, but should start out under $200, possibly less - for a DNA75 MOD that is 100% US made, parts and labor ;)

I've even been playing around modeling some custom fire buttons, too...
27704080980_f78979b46d_c.jpg

More updates as they happen-

Rick

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That stand turned out gorgeous!
I'm excited to see how you dna75 turns out. I'll start saving my pennies for one

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the props about the big holder - they liked it! It's in Full Steam Vapor in W. Virginia.

Here's a quick animated gif of the 2x 18650 MOD - this time in a laminated body-
My CAD program does a lousy job of depicting wood.
28031497210_2d27b54d25_o.gif

The design is 99% complete, and there are two new 3D printed parts to be test run (one is blinking off and on). Size of the MOD is 1-1/4" x 2-1/2" x 4-1/2". It could be wired in parallel (3.7v) or could use a DNA200 (running @ 133w) if wired in series.

The computer is currently working on an animation of it showing all the parts "exploding" apart. Should have that in a few hours... hopefully ;);)

I'm working on a wood Side by Side with a partially enclosed tank area. Looking pretty cool so far - I'll try and get some early pics of just the body soon.

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey everyone,

Here's the animation of the 2 x 18650 device - the Model II. It took many minor adjustments (read: start over because of stupid oversight), but I finally got the full animation of the Model II device completed. This unit also features all American parts - Evolv DNA chipset, Keystone battery holder, Fat Daddy or Varitube 510 connector and 3D Printed parts.

This particular model features a laminated body - Wenge center strip with Caribbean Rosewood on the sides. Unfortunately, my CAD program doesn't do justice to exotic woods - pics will be better when they come.

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey everyone,

Been busy designing again -
27916035833_0210ba4c8f_c.jpg

This 18650 device will be christened the Model IV or MOD IV. The MOD III is still "on the drawing board", but imagine this MOD with a larger diameter on one end for a 26650 battery and the same sized diameter as this one on the tank end, a bit of a wedge shape. More to come...

Modeled in "Oak" for the moment, but will probably be produced in stab wood or laminated exotic species (actually, whatever you want). It features a Side by Side design; 18650 SS Fat Daddy's battery tube; shorter side mounted faceplate with display and control buttons; top mounted 16mm Bulgari fire button (looking for a US button of same quality). Dims are 2-3/4"w x 4"h x 1-1/4" thick. Stainless steel bottom that will be embossed with the serial number, and can even have your name or other text embossed in it at no additional charge.

There are a few new 3D printed parts I am prepping, and will prepare an exploded animation of this device as well.

In other news, I've almost finished machining a Walnut body for our MOD I device, and have prepped an awesome Caribbean Rosewood & African Wenge laminated block to be the body of our MOD II design. I'm still waiting on a shipment of 3D printed parts to begin assembling our first two designs!

When we've prepped the website for sales, there will be a configurator that will allow you to select several options with all the mods. Wood choices, SS, Brass or plastic hardware such as faceplates, buttons and connectors. Every MOD will be hand made for each customer, and carry a six month warranty.

Thanks,

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's a quick video (2-1/2 min) of the items making up a Faceplate assembly being put together in the computer; this is for the Side by Side designs -

If you're at work - watch your sound, there's music

Enjoy,

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Starting a few new Vape Stands - wanted to share the awesome wood that will be used in two of them.

This is major wood... This image is a composite of the top, middle and bottom sections of a single board. It's Walnut with a high degree of figure. Extremely rare at this size - almost 11" wide and just over 8' in length. The second most expensive single board I've ever purchased.

Recently, I was contacted about a custom holder similar to a large stepped holder I had made in the past. I sent drawings of the holder they asked about, so they could make modifications to the layout.

We ended up with a 24" long triple step holder with lots of cutouts for box mods, many atty spaces, lots of holes for drip tips, a battery charger slot, and more. As if that wasn't enough - he said that his friend would like one just like it! I get to make two!

The bottom and tops will be 3/4" Figured Walnut, and the middle step will be a sandwich of two pieces of 3/4" Walnut with a 1/4" layer of Padauk in the center. Figured Walnut where exposed.

Can't wait to get to the finishing part with this wood. If it looks this striking now - imagine how mind blowing it's going to look when oiled and finished.

Well, the business is named Absolute-Wood :teehee:

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Dudes & Dudettes-

It's been quite a while since I've updated this thread. We have several custom Vape Stands in production right now. Good time to have a look in the shop.

Thought I'd share a time lapse video of about 10 minutes worth of milling out the cubby for a battery charger on a vape stand that has a drawer in it. About 22 seconds long.
You can see the opening for the drawer on the right of the stand in the video (the front of the stand). The cubby outline was first milled at one inch depth with a small diameter bit. Here, a larger bit is removing the bulk of the material to empty out the space.

You might notice bright flashes in some of the frames - it's vapor; I was vaping while cranking the hand wheels!

This is the larger of a matched pair of stands. The second stand sits in front of and hides the drawer. It is a two stepped stand and connects to the larger stand with magnets.

I'll post some pics as the custom orders come together a little more.

Cheers,

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey everyone-

I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving (and a great holiday season) -

I continue to machine on the Mod III blank shown just above. A little break is coming...

We're going up to NorCal for the week - we have a new Granddaughter, can't wait to see her!

Have a great one all!

Rick

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey everyone-

I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving (and a great holiday season) -

I continue to machine on the Mod III blank shown just above. A little break is coming...

We're going up to NorCal for the week - we have a new Granddaughter, can't wait to see her!

Have a great one all!

Rick
Congratulations! And Happy Thanksgiving. :)

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, not the post I was hoping to make ... Actually, not the last few days I wanted - shortly after making the previous video, I had a flare up of my med condition and ended up in the hospital - got home earlier today, it's still going to take a couple days before I'm back to vertical.

I was hoping to have soldered on one of the first Mods, and maybe have gotten it assembled. Well, spent the last couple days in a morphine haze...

I'll try for a meaningful update on Monday -

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just a note, rant, whatever - it's important - many may have gotten the CASAA email about this.

My thoughts on the matter, you're welcome to use any or all of it if you like -

The measure that keeps existing vapor products on the market (Cole-Bishop amendment) is seriously being considered for the new fiscal year budget. This saves the vapor market and thousands of small American companies - notably mine. Millions of lives are at stake. Everyone will be affected. Our representatives need to hear from us.

Favorable data from scientific groups around the world is pouring in (consensus of 95% safer than smoking) and overwhelming the cries of those entities that will lose billions of dollars if vapor products are widely adopted as the safer alternative to tobacco use.

State governments receiving payments from large tobacco companies (Tobacco Master Settlement) and pharmaceutical companies making stop smoking aids will lose the most. The tobacco companies seem to know this is their future and are quietly supporting parts of the vapor industry.

Elimination of the vapor market will have a direct, negative impact on more than ten million individuals in the US, and many more will experience indirect negative consequences. More than 99% of the products will disappear from the market in August 2018 if this is allowed to transpire. Many jobs and small businesses lost, many who will reluctantly return to smoking. Removing the right to choose for future tobacco users. A billion people are expected to die from tobacco use this century. Vapor products might cut that number in half.

If this is "whined" or complained out of the budget by a group of politicians and activists, the possibility of the most profound boon to public health in decades or even centuries will be nearly choked from existence.

This seems the equivalent of ignoring the promise of great good coming from something new, not generally understood and almost magic like with it's ability to save lives - like penicillin.

We can't let money and power win this time, it hurts us all.

Rick Hageman
Absolute-Wood.com

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just wanted to show the beautiful wood from one of two stands made from highly figured Walnut (normally reserved for musical instruments):
33136242204_5cf7bd5de0_b.jpg

This was shot quickly with my iPhone, no editing. The stand just had the first coat of natural oil finish sprayed on - it's almost dripping wet. The other wood in the stand is African Paduk.

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey all-

Wanted to share a new tool I made - a jig to sand large radii with an oscillating sander. Here's a three minute video showing first some of the 3D modeling done, then a look at the completed jig in the shop:

Enjoy!

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi Ya -

A new vape stand to be placed on the website soon:

35914429664_895e403822_c.jpg

It's been done for quite a while, just never got around to shooting pics -

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow - how time flies...

The above holder (prev post) has finally been added to the website. In Stock Holders, all the way at the bottom - #60.

Also, in other news...

A new Drip Tip Section has been added to the website. Caribbean Rosewood, M3 Damascus, M3 Black Gold Mokume. More to come. Plus, we'll make custom Drip Tips - just drop us a line.

Enjoy!

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, not shop talk, but it helps to share...

40408273784_8b33e495fc_b.jpg

A sad post - sorry

Yesterday, I had to say goodbye to my silly, beautiful Marley girl. I was fortunate to have her (and her I) for over six years - much too short a time. RIP Marley, you remain beside me, and in my heart. I love you Marley girl.

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmmm... been 3D modeling with Squonking in mind!

41145076522_776c973cf9.jpg

Interesting, what could this mean?

41145076732_372fb62fbf.jpg

Seems to fit in this thing...

41144941362_60c4d05082.jpg

Mounting holes here, there, everywhere

It all seems to be leading somewhere... I think the same place

Back to the drawing board, er... screen ;)

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When you get a chance you could toss a few more Pics in here...

Yes - quite a few as a matter of fact... Lots has happened since the renderings of the model way back when.

I'll gather some pics and post. We have some 3D printed parts, the machining of the body and door is complete - finishing in progress.

Rick

Last edited:

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, better late than never...

A short video, shot today, of sanding with a small block in prep for more finish coats. Much has happened to get to this stage.

Enjoy

I'll try and get some pics together showing some of the operations it took to get to this point.

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I've went through the operation in the above video another two times. We now have about eight coats of cyanoacrylate, and are ready for more sanding.

I didn't document most of the milling as it more than doubles the time taken to do it (after editing, etc...). I did this with another Mod (Sleeping Dragon) a while back - really added to the time it took.

I do have some pics of making the jig to cut the squonk hole in the door, and a few other pics...

I first designed the jig on the computer in a CAD system. It would utilize a small desktop milling machine set up to be used as a woodworking machine called a pin router. In these machines, the cutter stays stationary while a table just below the bit has a pin protruding from it that is the same diameter as the cutting bit, and is perfectly aligned with it.

A cutout of the desired shape is made on the bottom of the jig, and the pin in the table restricts the jigs movement to the shape of the cutout. This causes the cutting bit to produce the exact same shape in the piece being cut.

49677425967_8054110db4_c.jpg

The first thing was to make a 1:1 print of the door and tape it to the bottom skin of the jig to be.
49677142811_3ff84eb2fa_c.jpg

Using a swivel knife, the elliptical outline is carefully cut from the paper, and the hole is carefully traced onto the masonite skin.
49677425712_58fd43736e_c.jpg

Using the mill with a router bit to freestyle the rough shape of the hole from the skin. Later, a vertical spindle sander was used to finish and smooth the shape of the hole.
49677425932_d751aff7b3_c.jpg

The skin is attached to the bottom of the jig. This allows different skins to be make for different shapes and positioning of holes.

49677425887_fa25c38c8d_c.jpg
49676610108_35090bb7c6_c.jpg

A test door was made to make sure all my math was correct, and the jig was designed properly. This door will be the "guinea pig".
49677287581_5b61d79a1d_c.jpg
49677142731_fe0fa546a5_c.jpg

After some measuring - all looks good!
49677425997_52d8196a38_c.jpg

The top side of the jig with the actual door ready to go.
49676609938_b96cef9220_c.jpg
49677142706_eb3cba42a5_c.jpg

Success! The door was cut twice - once for the thru cut, and again to place a perimeter bevel.

Enough for now! Next time, we'll have a look at the 3D printed parts that are utilized in this squonker.

Enjoy - and wash your hands! Stay safe.

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's a 2 min video of the cutting of the squonk hole in the Oak test door for the Vein Mod. Music track also. :cool:

Rick

VU Sponsors