Become a Patron!

Short of breath when vaping ( this is new)

cmccarthy7128

Member For 3 Years
VU Patreon
I have been having occasional episodes of shortness of breath while I vape. Before anyone tells me to go to the doctor I call the my Dr. And unless I have something related to the Fauci flu they have no time for me. I'm just curious if anyone else has had anything like this?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I have been having occasional episodes of shortness of breath while I vape. Before anyone tells me to go to the doctor I call the my Dr. And unless I have something related to the Fauci flu they have no time for me. I'm just curious if anyone else has had anything like this?

There is so many unknowns here.

First, what's your setup (equipment) and what are you vaping? What is the base of your juice you are inhaling?

Second, I would do a walk in to see Your dr.

Have you tried searching the forum for "shortness of breath" to see if anyone else has this issue?

Never take advice over the internet, not many of us here are experienced in any medical conditions.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I have experienced this symptom a few times in the past with various setups all of which had these characteristics in common: a highly restricted DTL vaping style using high nicotine strength with slow inhalation. Other common symptoms were: a general feeling of discomfort, feeling seasick. (I have no idea why, but this is how I have experienced it.)

With high VG juices (typically something like 70%-85% VG) at much lower nicotine strengths (2.5mg-3mg) this never happened to me. Not unless I actually forced it to go wrong, i.e. by purposely making some typical mistakes and that I don't recommend making them. One example of that is letting invisible, microscopically small particles of dust enter my RDA. Although this can never be 100% avoided of course, there exists a tipping point, a certain threshold above which is too much and then it instantly clogs up my throat and respiratory tract when I vape. I keep my vape-ready setups in a dust-free environment where the air is clean. No vaping in areas where the air is polluted─indoor or outdoor doesn't matter as long as the air is pure. Vacuum cleaners emit some dust because the filters in them can't collect everything from the air going through them, so I move my vape-ready setups to a different room before I do anything that can throw dust up in the air (like opening two windows or one door and one window causing the kind of fast draught that can spread around some of the dust from a surface). Purging my RDA also helps, though, at least to some degree, when necessary. But purging your atomizer isn't always a good idea. It depends what type you have.

Aside from the possibility of being sensitive to some ingredients found in some juices, another thing that tends to cause trouble is when you vape in such a particular way that the coils are getting overheated. Verify that enough air is getting in contact with the entire surface of the heated part of the coil(s), and verify that this air smashes right into that/those part(s) forcefully enough to keep the temperature in check. How much is enough is dependent of how you vape, but this changes nothing of the fact that localized heat buildups can still occur if something is out of balance and/or is misaligned in this regard.

That being said, the use of Temperature Control does not guarantee that the coil(s) will heat up evenly. It monitors the total resistance of the coil(s), so it can't detect hot spots resulting from whatever it is that might be disrupting the evenness. The same also applies to low or medium powered vaping, as the slower inhalation (compared to high wattage vaping) associated with these vaping styles does not in any way guarantee a balanced distribution of heat, and, the longer you press and hold the fire button, the longer the localized heat buildups keep building up. As a result, the local variations in temperature just keep on worsening until finally, the button is released again. I'm only saying this because there will always be at least someone out there who, when it comes to the fact that juice can be overheated, will stop at nothing to blame that on the high wattage vaping style for the millionth time.

Personally, I, find that vaping high VG juices at high wattages on handbuilt, complex, intricate coils such as aliens made from relatively thin (e.g., 28g for the core wires, 36g for the outer wrap wire) Nichrome 80 has made all the difference in the world for how the vape feels to me, and for how my body reacts to the vapor. Slow inhalation makes me gasp for air. Even, when I'm not vaping. Sorry, but this is the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Last edited:

cmccarthy7128

Member For 3 Years
VU Patreon
I have a number of different set-ups , today I am using Russian Mech Mod and with rda. But I first noticed it with my Bigfoot by wake mod co . I mostly 70/30 juice commercially available. I have had kung problems in the past not smoking related ones. Btw I wasn't trying to get a diagnosis here just to see if it's common, that's all . I am going to walk in to the ER if I don't I prove soon.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Still far too many variables for anyone on here to be able to get an idea of whether or not something might be wrong with your vaping setups or with how you are using them. At this point, everyone else's guess is as good as mine, we are left completely in the dark─you haven't even mentioned any coil specs, let alone posted any pictures to show how your build looks like, so... good luck!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It happens to me if I vape juice that's too heavy in VG. About 35/65 (pg/vg) is as heavy as I can go.

Recently I ordered some pre-mixed juice because it was on sale at a price I couldn't resist. Some of it is 20/80. I have to go easy on that stuff, can't vape much of it in a day.

Try sticking with lighter mixes, if you have any, for a day or two and see if it helps.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
:sarcasm: A man walks into the doctors office and says, "it hurts when I do this". The doctor says, "Don't do that".

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I went through a spell of it, and it turned out that I wasn't always fully exhaling all the vapor after inhaling

After exhaling, maybe give it a second, deeper push from the lungs. Worth a shot...

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Before I started vaping (wasn't a smoker either except when in the mood), I started noticing I was getting short of breath intermittently, just doing normal forms of exertion that never bothered me before. (Throwing a heavy bedspread on the bed, mowing the lawn, etc) And couldn't "get a deep enough breath" just standing or casually walking the dog. Would have to stop and bend over and try to fill my lungs to get that breath.

Assumed it was stress because I was caretaker for my Dad at the time who had terminal cancer. And I didn't feel 'sick' otherwise. Eventually I was curious and Googled the symptom and found a host of things (b/c many things can cause this) but one that caught my eye was that Splenda/sucralose can cause shortness of breath. There were entire forums and websites dedicated to the effects of artificial sugars, but Splenda particularly was known for this symptom.

As it happened I was drinking a few sodas a day made with Splenda. So I cut them out just to see. And I'll be damned if it didn't go away.

Flash forward 6 months later and I was so wrapped up in caretaking I forgot why I'd stopped buying the soda and missed it, so started buying it again.. And soon the breathlessness returned. Again I thought it was stress, until I happened on some some notes I'd made about it back when that reminded me. Quit the soda again, and forgot about it (attn on more imp things) and then realized after a time I hadn't been breathless since I quit the soda.

And I actually went thru this a third time months later, when I still thought it could have just been coincidental.... but nope. Was not coincidental!

So quit Splenda for good. Years later I started feeling breathless again... and wondered what could be causing that again! Checked everything in the house and turned out the V8 Splash I'd started drinking was made with Splenda, as was the gum I'd been chewing a pack of a day.

Quit those things, and again, the breathlessness went away within a week or two.

Not saying Splenda/sucralose affects everyone this way, but it's a well known fact that it affects many this way.

This probably has nothing to do with the OP, but FTR....

Last edited:

VU Sponsors