Become a Patron!

Slow firing plume veil 1.5

Hello i recently bought a plume veil 1.5 clone rda from a buddy of mine and on my caravela clone it seemed like it didnt want to fire right away first wit .25 ohm duals then wit 26 gauge .65 ohm duals. Another friend let me use his pegasus clone to see if it was my mod which it was not i put his doge on it and it fired right away he put the plume veil on the pegasus and it did the same as my caravela, slow fire. What can i do to make it fire right away like any other rda?

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Less coils. Check build for faults. Rebuild. Check contact pin. Not necessarily in that order.

I'm currently rocking a 6 wrap, 24 gauge kanthal .3 ohm dual coil and it fires pretty quick on my mech.
What type of wire did you have on your .25 build?
Also .6 ohms 26g duals aren't going to fire quick on a mech either. At .6 you aren't pushing much wattage to all that wire.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Resistance alone doesn't determine ramp up time (how long it takes the coil to heat up) on a mech. There's 4 major factors...

1)Wire type/gauge (ie. 24 gauge kanthal has a higher resistance than 23 gauge and will heat up faster if you wrap a coil in each gauge with the same resistance respectively. also 24 gauge nicrome has a lower resistance than 24 gauge kanthal and their ramp up time's will be different respectively as well.)

2)The number of wraps in the coil (less wraps equals faster ramp up time but also equals a less sturdy coil, you have to find the balance. With lower gauges lik 22-26 you can use less wraps and still have a more sturdy coil because of the thickness/strength of the wire compared to like 28-29 that can be very flimsy with less than 5-6 wraps and 30+ where you really need a minimum of 6 for a good solid coil usually. This is in regards to using normal wire and not twisted or any other special alterations, the numbers can differ in those instances depending on how the wires are combined/twisted.)

3)The inner diameter of the coil (The larger the diameter of the coil the higher the resistance and slower the ramp up time than a smaller diameter coil with the same number of wraps because you're using more wire to make the coil. There are pro's and con's to wrapping a coil of any diameter. You can search the forum for more detail on this as well as there is many Youtube videos that touch on this subject.)

4)Wicking material. (Depending on if you use Silica, Ready X, cotton or rayon or hemp [and making sure you have the proper amount of these types of wicking material for the size of your coil as well or any other non silica or steel or ceramic based wick]. In the case of silica or ceramic or steel rope/mesh types of wick the wick itself is the proper amount and making your coil fit properly is key to good wicking.)

Like @martinelias said...it is very possible you have a short as well as 26 gauge wire should ramp up faster than 24. is .65 your resistance for a dual coil build? because that can take a bit two warm up....if you wrap two .65 coils than when you install both of them your resistance should read around .32 and should heat up pretty quick. One of my favorite builds is a 26 gauge dual parallel .24 build which is basically a quad coil setup with 6 or 7 wraps around a 3.2mm drill bit and it ramps up fairly quick, but if I take one wrap away and make it .2 it heats right up quick. I would screw your atty into your ohm's reader, check and make sure your screws are tight. ..if your resistance is reading right and your screws are tight than I would take a toothpick and poke around your coils to make sure the resistance doesn't jump around when you poke at them. The toothpick isn't conductive so it won't change your resistance by touching the coils like you would if you touched them with something metal. If the resistance jumps around a lot just by poking them with the toothpick than your screws might have pinched your lead causing you a short. If everything there is good then I would look all your insulators over on the center pin and deck just to make sure everything looks good and isn't warn or torn or burnt, it never hurts to check them once in awhile. If you do all that and everything looks good then yeah I would try a new coil with one less wrap and see how that works for you.

Sometimes too when a lead get's pinched by a coil it can put a sliver of wire inside the post under everything and it's almost impossible to detect but it can mess with your resistance and conductivity.

I don't know how much all this helps but it's some good just to know info. Good luck and I hope you find the vape you're looking for. :)

Bummer man, you getting a new dripper or fixing that one?

I had an incident with my plume veil clone, had it in my pocket on my vaporshark and forgot to lock it. Anyway it burned it up pretty bad and kinda fried my insulator making my centerpost loose. I was able to clean it up and reassemble it and thankfully still works. The centerpost is solid as a rock again, albeit slightly lower than normal due to the deformed insulator.

I felt really lucky I didn't catch my leg on fire!

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wife has had nothing but bad luck knocking the positive posts loose on her Plume Veil clones - for some reason I never had an issue with mine, so I'm blaming it on mods knocking around in her purse, but because of that I've kind of moved away from using them - have a couple still in the boxes that I haven't even cleaned out and built yet.

DerpyVaping

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a slow firing doge v2, same situation, but my build is 10 wraps 26g. .52ohm

DerpyVaping

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On a mech or a regulated mod?
Well i can always just up the watts on my box (Sig150) and on Mech it slow fires.
No problems detected while on box mod, like i said the flavor i get from the slow burn is outstanding.
So i'm really not complaining.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dont underestimate the power of the parallels.
I wrapped dual 30g triple parallel 7 wraps and it kills like any of my thicker gauge builds.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@nickwummer5516

Bummer dude, I am sorry your center post is loose but hopefully it's still in good enough shape to fix it. I am glad for your safety's sake that you found it before it became a hard short and arc'd or vented the battery. If possible I would take the center post completely out and make sure that it's just loose and that there isn't a burn, warp or crack in the atty and then put it back together and use it cautiously. Definitely keep it around the house and use something else if you've got it. But if you can't tighten it at least I would no longer use that atty. I would hate to see it hard short and arc or possibly vent the battery....definitely do not use that atty on a hybrid connection again to be safe period. Just because it's one less variable that could cause problems that is easy enough to avoid.

i am happy and glad you figured out the problem and were able to try and fix it safely before something bad happened or you got hurt. I wish the best of luck and happy vaping. :)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dont underestimate the power of the parallels.
I wrapped dual 30g triple parallel 7 wraps and it kills like any of my thicker gauge builds.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Thinner wire in a parallel coil setup will heat up a heck of a lot quicker than thicker Kanthal or Nichrome

VU Sponsors