Become a Patron!

Smoant Battlestar Mod Review By DeucesJack

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Full disclosure:

Let’s get all the disclosures out of the way. This mod was sent to me directly from Smoant specifically for the purposes of this review. This will not in any way, shape, or form cause me to give this mod a favorable review or change my opinion in any way.
fdcec5ddcf17b64602280cf3badeefb5.jpg

First Impression Out Of The Box:

Nice presentation. The mod itself looks like a Wismec ⅔ in 2 battery mode. Finish is beautiful. Texture is smooth. Pretty small for a dual 18650 mod. Really liking the triangular, compact shape. Feels good in your hand.

What's In The Box:

Basically you get the mod and a USB charging cable. There is also a user manual as well as a quality control card and a prompt card. The prompt card is kind of like a quick start guide.
ede39d68f66e722b6ef8e8c6bb77e292.jpg

From Top To Bottom:

Looks like we have a brass, spring loaded, 510 pin here. The spring on it is nice and firm. The stainless steel threading is nice and smooth. So far all of my atomizers sit flush on it. There are three air slot cut outs on the base.
94506206811dd462a94a8349b070fcec.jpg

This mod is shaped like triangle with two rounded corners and a flat top. On the short sides of the triangle you have side venting on the top and bottom of the mod. There is also a slight indentation kind of design that helps when gripping the mod.

The battery door is really solid. The magnets are really strong and the there is relatively no movement on this battery door. There are four holes present on the side of the door for venting. When changing batteries the door gives the user a very satisfying click.

The battery sled is made of plastic and held in place by four phillips head screws. Battery orientation is marked clearly on the sled. There is also a battery ribbon present. The battery terminal are spring loaded on the positive side. They seem to be made of brass and they do have a nice firm spring to them.
2cbae07417a8234bcc8e00a8f823272d.jpg

The front of the mod is basically the flat side of the top of the triangle. This is a three button mod. You have a fire button and a +/- button. The buttons are nice and clicky. So far I have absolutely no button rattle even if I shake my mod like a mental patient. The +/- button is a rocker style switch. Below the +/- button we have the charge port. As far as I can tell this mod is not upgradeable and the charge port is just for charging.

The screen is nice and bright. I like the thick block style font that Smoant uses. All of the information a vaper need is on display here. The screen shows battery life, mode, temperature/wattage, and resistance.
07651f6d0d6b6e3cc0343d9e586b2cf1.jpg

The bottom of the mod has some subtle branding. There is also venting present via four small holes. Beside the bottom of the mod there is no branding present on the rest of the mod. I wish more companies would do this or at the very least make their branding as subtle and elegant as possible. The Battlestar is also available in a world of colors that include black, blue, white, red, stainless steel, dark blue, yellow, orange. copper and silver.

The Look, Feel, and General Aesthetics Of The Mod:

I love the look of this mod. I like the curves and the soft angles. It feels great in your hand. The build quality is fantastic and to be honest it is not at all what I expected. It far exceeds all of my expectations in that area. The paint looks be very durable. It has a silky smooth texture that I really enjoy. The whole layout of the mod is simple yet elegant.

The Board:

Of course the Battlestar has a full temperature control suite as well as variable wattage mode. Materials available for TC are Ni, Ti, and SS. It also has three TCR slots so you can run all of your custom wires. The TC this board provides may have been the biggest shocker for me on this mod. It hits hard in power mode and it is accurate. The shocker for me was the TC. The SS TC is just fantastic. It's better than any of the second tier TC chipsets. Is it FSK, Yihi, or DNA good? No, but that has nothing to do with the vape quality. The reason I cannot put it with those boards is because of it’s lack of precise tuning that those other boards offer. As far as vape quality, in TC it vapes as well as any mod on the market. If the other boards I mentioned are ranked 1, 2, and 3 then the Smoant board is tied with the Aetheon chipset from Innokin at #4. Again, not because of vape quality but because of the lack of adjustability in contrast to the other three chipsets.

The Menu System:

This menu system is as simple as it gets.

5 clicks on/off
3 clicks to get into the main menu
Use the +/- button to scroll through the main menu
Use the fire button to select in the main menu
+/ button at the same time flips the screen
In TC mode hold the + button and fire button to adjust your wattage

Thats it, thats the whole menu system.

But Deuces, How Does She Vape?:

I had to vape it to believe it but you can color me extremely impressed with the Smoant Battlestar. Power mode is fantastic and the TC on this thing is just surprisingly capable and on point. Right now I am rocking the Battlestar RTA on this mod. I have dual SS Tiger coils in there. I am ohming out at .14 at 500 degrees and 75 watts in SS TC. I get a smooth consistent vape throughout the whole draw. I am getting flavorful, beautiful, clouds. The TC on the Battlestar is as legit as it gets.

Conclusion:

If you always wanted to try top tier TC but were always held back by the price. Or maybe you tried one of the TC mods that are less capable and did not like it. Well, then I would highly recommend that you pick yourself up a Battlestar. This mod just gives an excellent representation of what great TC is all about and it does it without breaking the bank. If you are into TC already and you need a backup or a beater mod than this is the way to go. This mod just checks off all of the boxes. Great looks, solid build quality, simple menu, and awesome TC. For those reasons the Smoant Battlestar is without a doubt DeucesJack approved. Make no mistake about it, the Battlestar is the most under rated mod on the market today in my humble opinion.

Pros & Cons:

A note about Pros and Cons. These are my Pros and Cons. They are very subjective. What may be a pro to me could be a con to you and vice versa.

Pros:

* Build quality
* Look and feel
* Paint
* Battery door
* Lots of venting
* Quality 510
* Subtle branding
* Simple menu system
* TC
* Compact size

Cons:

* No updates

Specs:

* 200W Maximum Output Wattage
1 to 200W
* High Performance Output
* Little to No Firing Delay
* 0.5 to 8.4V
* 0.1 to 5.0 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range
* Temperature Control Suite
- Ni200 Nickel Support
- Titanium Support
- Stainless Steel Support
* TCR Functionality
* Temperature Coefficient of Resistivity
* Resistance Read and Lock
* Three Setting Memory Bank
* 0.1 to 1.3 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range
* 200 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit
* Quad Magnetic Back Battery Access Door
* Accepts Two 18650 Batteries
Gold Plated Contacts
Sold Separately
* Three Button Control
* Rocker Switch
* OLED Display
Three Column Display
- Atomizer Resistance
- Output Voltage
- Battery Life Indicator
- Output Wattage
- Output Temperature
* Micro USB Charge port
* Zinc Alloy Chassis
* Stainless Steel 510 Connection
Spring Loaded Gold Plated Connection
* Reverse Battery/Low Resistance/Low Input Voltage/Short Circuit/ Overheating Protection

Product Dimensions:
* 40mm by 34mm by 83.5mm

Different Sized Tanks On The Smoant Battlestar:

The Smoant Battlestar RDTA:
203b2144f648fcabd0054173c09d5b95.jpg

The Smoant Battlestar RTA:
d61709fcc0d20ae8f6c6acf8d836dbdb.jpg

The Vandyvapes Icon:
9d5b69ac2cd76385d755093fe10d05be.jpg

The UD Skywalker:
8e30fd729ac68c5132b5ca02267a8605.jpg

The Bombertech Pindad:
1c45ae953359c2dcff83c9a35c3c201b.jpg

The Augvape Merlin Mini:
58489db86a38dcb2cdbf109b14947316.jpg

The Ijoy RDTA 5:
b448885014719831e624ce77226041ab.jpg

The Ijoy Elf:
d59be560ce69cc393da6b9c12b11a090.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Nice review jack! glad you love it as much as I do. now you know why i'e been pimping this mod out as a recommendation to everyone LMAO
HAAAAAA, you can't enable me this time Jack, I already have a battlestar and love it.......lol

0a44e14b9bfdc9b6705d31865c7b8c13.jpg

Your review is on point, great little mod that doesn't get enough attention.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
LMAO yup i already got 2 of them so can't be enabled for a 3rd

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice review jack! glad you love it as much as I do. now you know why i'e been pimping this mod out as a recommendation to everyone LMAO

LMAO yup i already got 2 of them so can't be enabled for a 3rd
Most under rated mod on the market right now. I bet I can enable you and @mjag into a matchy, matchy Battlestar RTA. Gonna drop that review in an hour or so. Lmao.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Most under rated mod on the market right now. I bet I can enable you and @mjag into a matchy, matchy Battlestar RTA. Gonna drop that review in an hour or so. Lmao.

LMAO or enable myself into it
and yeah it's probably pound for pound the best value in vaping
under 40 bucks, dual battery, 200 watts, great TC, solid built, multiple colors that don't peel or chip, and a well designed chip built very nicely. I can't think of another mod that checks all those boxes on the market.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
under 40 bucks, dual battery, 200 watts, great TC, solid built, multiple colors that don't peel or chip, and a well designed chip built very nicely. I can't think of another mod that checks all those boxes on the market.
Agree 100%.

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And all your talk early on with this mod is what got my attention. Still lovin it. Great recommendation.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Great Review!

I love mine (stainless) and plan on getting the copper as well. You can't beat the finish, especially when you have no concerns about possible paint chipping!

Two things I've noticed that are extremely minor are that I have slight up/down movement in the battery door, and also the battery life seems a little on the low side when compared to the alien. I've also noticed this with the wismec predator, vaping the same tank (exo rta) .17 at 95 watts I get much less vape time.

But hell, no problem carrying a second set to power this beauty!

Can't wait to see the review on the battlestar rta! I just ordered the icon and kylin from mvpro so stoked on adding these to the stable!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great Review!

I love mine (stainless) and plan on getting the copper as well. You can't beat the finish, especially when you have no concerns about possible paint chipping!

Two things I've noticed that are extremely minor are that I have slight up/down movement in the battery door, and also the battery life seems a little on the low side when compared to the alien. I've also noticed this with the wismec predator, vaping the same tank (exo rta) .17 at 95 watts I get much less vape time.

Can't wait to see the review on the battlestar rta! I just ordered the icon and kylin from mvpro so stoked on adding these to the stable!
You're gonna love the Icon. A definite must have. Battlestar review should be up soon. Just taking some pics.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Well you can put it over the top, already in my wish list the moment I saw it, need that matchy matchy....Haha.

Can't wait for the review!

youcantsee

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can you adjust the wattage in TC? Someone else said you can't and that's a deal breaker for me. Unless you can convince me it's not needed haha

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great Review!

That Stainless version is very tempting but I also like the bronzed blue and other red. Hell, even that tarnish new one looks nice.

The battery does get down to 1 bar it seems quicker than most of my dual bat mods but keeps on vaping for awhile. Never had a problem taking it on the road but battery life does seem a little short. That would probably be my only con too but it's not a huge one.

That Kylin tank looks pretty good, probably order that as well when it's out.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Can you adjust the wattage in TC? Someone else said you can't and that's a deal breaker for me. Unless you can convince me it's not needed haha

You sure can.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@BPROSEK what is mvpro? I googled it but came up empty, do they have a good price on the Kylin?

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You're the best, you've been answering all my questions lately!!

Thank you. Lately? I try to answer all of the questions posted in my reviews. Lol.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got one a couple of weeks ago. I also have a
the battery life seems a little on the low side when compared to the alien.

And I thought it was just me. The batteries go longer in my RX 2/3, but I prefer this one. It just feels better built. That plus I just had to rewire the RX due to the common breaking wire problem. The form is great and the smaller size really seals the deal for me.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

yes you can. holding fire and right button changes form watt adjustment to temp adjustment in TC mode

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@BPROSEK what is mvpro? I googled it but came up empty, do they have a good price on the Kylin?

I've ordered form them once. outside the weird verification system they have (don't know if they still do) it was a good site to deal with. i seen it for 35 bucks IIRC on that site. the kylin is the same as the ammit dual coil. designed by the same guy. he left geekvape and started vandy vapes himself

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've ordered form them once. outside the weird verification system they have (don't know if they still do) it was a good site to deal with. i seen it for 35 bucks IIRC on that site. the kylin is the same as the ammit dual coil. designed by the same guy. he left geekvape and started vandy vapes himself
Yeah, I just like the styling on the Kylin more than the Ammit dual. I like the 3ml vs 2ml with the short tanks on the Ammit over the Kylin but that's not enough to pick it.

I went to mvpro.com but it says the website is for sale, what is there link?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah, I just like the styling on the Kylin more than the Ammit dual. I like the 3ml vs 2ml with the short tanks on the Ammit over the Kylin but that's not enough to pick it.

I went to mvpro.com but it says the website is for sale, what is there link?

it's myvpro.com your missing an m

GBusafvet95

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HAAAAAA, you can't enable me this time Jack, I already have a battlestar and love it.......lol

0a44e14b9bfdc9b6705d31865c7b8c13.jpg

Your review is on point, great little mod that doesn't get enough attention.

Bloody hell. That review was too good.

Now I can't decide color.

I should have gone fishin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone figured out what the NC Mode is for? I was thinking maybe nichrome TC but I can't find info on it anywere

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Has anyone figured out what the NC Mode is for? I was thinking maybe nichrome TC but I can't find info on it anywere

It's supposed to be nichrome

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Awww man, I was hoping it stood for "Narly Coils" and yeah, I know I spelled knarly wrong.....lol

Thx bro

Lmao

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
Enjoying my battlestar tarnish and currently running it with a battlestar rda. (Restricted the airflow on this one and flow is quiet, smooth; flavor is spot on.) But the front side of my mod gets quite warm when I'm chain vaping -- something that doesn't happen with either my therion or triade. I'm only vaping at 25-35w. It isn't the battery side of the mod but I find it worrisome as I might fry the electronic half of the mod.

Valandar

Member For 4 Years
Show Host
VU Live Host
It's been a few months since the Battlestar came out... is there an update on the potential durability of this device? Like, have people started reporting that it falls apart after a month or three? Other than the bad batch that got recalled, of course.

Oh, and sorry about the Necropost...

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's been a few months since the Battlestar came out... is there an update on the potential durability of this device? Like, have people started reporting that it falls apart after a month or three? Other than the bad batch that got recalled, of course.

It's been out for quite some time and I rarely hear of any issues,

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have three of them and they've been used a lot. The oldest is about 8 months old with the others close behind. I mainly squonk now, but I always have at least one going everyday. I've not had a single problem with any of them.

Valandar

Member For 4 Years
Show Host
VU Live Host
That's good to hear. I had my alien suddenly stop recognizing one of the battery slots, so I had replaced it with a Battlestar. I was just checking to see if I spent my money well.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's good to hear. I had my alien suddenly stop recognizing one of the battery slots, so I had replaced it with a Battlestar. I was just checking to see if I spent my money well.

I believe so. I've had a few mods go south within relatively short periods but these things are well designed and built. Now if only Smoant would make a squonk I'll gladly send them more money.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have 4 Battlestars and there all still working great, the first one I used everyday for a long time. The finish on these are so much better than the Alien it is not funny, all of mine still look brand new, my Alien started chipping on the first day.

Valandar

Member For 4 Years
Show Host
VU Live Host
Well, I've had this Battlestar for a month or so now. Had great performance, decent battery life... and now I'm having sudden battery drain issues. I know my batteries, and am mostly using Samsung LG's, and I'll have it occasionally drain batteries from nearly full to less than a bar on the indicator between uses, over the course of less than an hour. At 9:12, I have two sets of batteries on the charger after having been drained that way since I woke up. Ugh.

VU Sponsors