Become a Patron!

Smok alien exploded

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
Have any of you guys herd of a regulated mod exploding? My mod was sitting on my end stand not being charged or used everyone was sleeping and around 6.00 am it decided to explode??? Now mind you I had a smok alien 220w . I dont understand why this happend? Any help would be appreciated

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Without knowing any more details, I'd guess auto-firing. Not many fans of Smok products here, seems their quality control has gone downhill greatly over the past couple years.
Welcome to VU!

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Now you have an excuse to get a better mod.
I never had any luck with Smok mods. Had 2 Aliens and both shit the bed in 6 months.
Never again.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Moved to faulty products for the minute while we await further info from OP

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
Thank you guys for looking into it for me and my smok alien 220w had 2 imr 2500 25amp. 18650s that was fully charged and I had my goon 1.5 rda on it with a single vertical clapton. I was going to put two on there but with the one it was hitting great and was reading .25ohm but I had been gaping on this build for about a week. The mod never got hot or even warm. Thank you guys once again

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Seems like more of a battery issue, maybe.
Was the mod plugged in to charge the batteries?
What was the brand of the batteries?
What was the condition of the battery wraps? Cuts? Nicks?

Still an opportunity to buy a better brand mod, and importantly, batteries if you weren't already.

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
No it was not on charge and I had just wrapped the batteries.. What I did was I kept the old wrap on and I put the new ones over top of the old ones just so they would be alittle bit thicker than norm. And they was Imr 2500 mah 20a 18650. But they was only about 2 months old so idk.. I have pics of the mod after it blew up, I'm gonna try to upload them.

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
The first battery vented inside of the mod but when it did it caused the battery door to open and the other battery fell out and went BANG. Lol it put shrapnel all over my bedroom and turnt everything black lol

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If it wasn’t plugged in, the only things I can venture to think is that it auto fired continually until the battery vented. In either case it was a complete battery failure, possibly caused by the mod.

I would stick with Sony, Samsung or lg in the future and when shopping for a new mod, try and look at a few things with a better track record than smok.

What sort of build were you running and at what wattage?

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
But what would cause it to just blow up out of nowhere? I mean it was 6.00 am. And it was just sitting on my stand and BANG... Lol it almost bought my house on fire. I have burn marks all over my wall my lamp exc. Now my wife won't allow me to vape bc she thinks that I'm either going to burn down the hose or put our boys in harms way... And whats crazy is I have many unregulated box mods that I have been useing for a while now and nothing bad has happens lol but I get a smok 220 and this happends lol whats the odds in that!

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
If it wasn’t plugged in, the only things I can venture to think is that it auto fired continually until the battery vented. In either case it was a complete battery failure, possibly caused by the mod.

I would stick with Sony, Samsung or lg in the future and when shopping for a new mod, try and look at a few things with a better track record than smok.

What sort of build were you running and at what wattage?
I was running a goon 1.5 rda on a single clapton that was vertical and it was reading .25ohms and it was on 45w

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was running a goon 1.5 rda on a single clapton that was vertical and it was reading .25ohms and it was on 45w
Were the batterie both the same brand, purchased together, charged together?
Were you always using the onboard charger?

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
I'm not sure thats why I was asking you guys if you could help me out and point me in the right direction of what might have caused this. But I cann say that the mod had been acting up that day now keep in mind that I have been running that build for about 2 weeks before that had happend. But my mod was saying no coil when my rda was on and I had tried a few different rda's when to make sure it wasnt my contact pin on the goon. And every rda I put on had the same result ( no coil ) then I put my goon back on and it was fine

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
Were the batterie both the same brand, purchased together, charged together?
Were you always using the onboard charger?
Yes both imr 2500 20a and yes both always got charged at the same time but no I have a luc v4 efest charger that I had been useing up until about a week ago bc it took a shit on me so I had no choice to use the onboard charger for the past week

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes both imr 2500 20a and yes both always got charged at the same time but no I have a luc v4 efest charger that I had been useing up until about a week ago bc it took a shit on me so I had no choice to use the onboard charger for the past week

Ahhh ok...
I had a smok sparking and catch fire in my hand once...
never again.
The brand is known to have a lack of QC and hence cause some issues at times.
I would venture to think that the balance charger may have had the batteries misbalanced from charging.
Or
The mod auto fired until the battery couldn’t keep up.

Repeated unbalanced charging and use; may have caused stresses to the battery. Those stresses may have been the reason that autofirinf triggered the venting.

In other words I think that the mod may have caused the battteries to shit themselves; because of stress.

I would stay clear of smok in the future and stick with batteries known to be good for vaping.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

What Brand of batteries?

Could be a bad fault with the mod's charger, perhaps not charging one battery as much as the other

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
Yeah I liked the alien 220w but idk after this I'm deff not going back to smok lol but the batteries that was in it was the ones that it came with.. So now I'm onto a new mod lol any suggestions? P.s. I orderd a zeus rta dual coil pro. With a bubble tank that I am waiting on. What mod would be ok with that tank?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah I liked the alien 220w but idk after this I'm deff not going back to smok lol but the batteries that was in it was the ones that it came with.. So now I'm onto a new mod lol any suggestions? P.s. I orderd a zeus rta dual coil pro. With a bubble tank that I am waiting on. What mod would be ok with that tank?

Well, I wouldn’t trust the brand of mods; I’m sure as hell not going trust their batteries.

If the above is your typical vape style; just about anything else would work for you. Just stick to GOOD batteries and a GOOD charger.

What are you looking to spend on a new setup?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I'd recommend you get some Samsung 30Q or 25R batteries and any 2-battery mod that isn't Smok brand - and another 18650 charging bay

https://www.elementvape.com/voopoo-drag-157w-tc-box-mod

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Most times it is misuse or abuse that leads to failures. I remember someone posting pictures of some bad burns because they laid on their Mech MOD in bed.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Most times it is misuse or abuse that leads to failures. I remember someone posting pictures of some bad burns because they laid on their Mech MOD in bed.
Yep, I did that and I own it...
Even the most educated and experienced can make a careless mistake with a mech. -I’m still seeing a wound care doctor on that twice a month-nearly a year later.

Keep in mind that since I’m paralyzed from the waist down I couldn’t feel it firing. Had I been able to feel it, I would not have had been burned nearly as bad.

That’s Far different from a mod malfunction and exploding on ones end table when it’s not even being touched.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That’s Far different from a mod malfunction and exploding on ones end table.

There is still questionable info on the No Atomizer messages and the quality or condition on the batteries. Careless mistakes does fall into the category of misuse at least in my opinion.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
There is still questionable info on the No Atomizer messages and the quality or condition on the batteries. Careless mistakes does fall into the category of misuse at least in my opinion.
Clearly smok has been known to have issues with many users...
clearly the op does not want another smok device...
clearly IF there were a careless mistake the op will be more vigilant in the future.
He was not pushing a 20a battery too hard; and, not reading the atty is an issue I’ve seen with smok in the past.

Let’s help him find a new device that meets his needs, not use a bad situation to try and vindicate a modder known to put out less than perfect devices.

Last edited:

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
Thank you... I feel that I did nothing wrong.. The batteries that was in the smok was in good condition if you would ha e read the post steves45 I have other batteries that I had wraped at the same time that I use in my srabbit as well... Would you like to see thwm to see if there up to your standerd??

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Let’s help him find a new device that meets his needs, not use a bad situation to try and vindicate a modder known to put out less than perfect devices.

Instead of just knocking a manufacturer determining the actual cause of the failure would be more prudent at least in my opinion. As has been said many times do to the large volume of devices they sell that is why there are reports of failures but on a Percentage scale the amount is actually much smaller. Like I said many times more failures are attributed to misuse like the guy with the Mech who blew his teeth out and cracked the sink. Why was he using a towel to hold that mech using a coil over a year old.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Would you like to see thwm to see if there up to your standerd??

I had asked what brand they were and you only said if I remember correctly they came with the MOD. And not my standard, if it was misuse or abuse determining that will prevent you or others from having this happening to them.

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
Im looking for at least a 100 watt mod being that I dont see the need to go above 70 watts exp. With the tra I plan on useing. I'm in between flavor and clouds however I was happy with the clouds I was getting from my single coil build I was running.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Might have bought it used and batteries came with? Or from a shop and they included batteries? Doesn't really matter at this point since they are all toast.

If you have any batteries that you plan on using in the new mod, please state brand name and model. The specs on the wrapper doesn't tell what they truly are.
Mooch gives us the realistic CDR ratings, you can see how they differ from what the wrapper says, and
Ep5 has the better 18650's for regulated.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/moochs-video-library-and-battery-table-links.384867/

Are you looking for new batteries and a charger to go with the new mod?
Do you want the mod to be 200+W?
And how much can we spend?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Im looking for at least a 100 watt mod being that I dont see the need to go above 70 watts exp. With the tra I plan on useing. I'm in between flavor and clouds however I was happy with the clouds I was getting from my single coil build I was running.
Do you prefer single battery or dual?
Do you use tc or power mode?
What sort of budget are you trying to maintain?

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
I had asked what brand they were and you only said if I remember correctly they came with the MOD. And not my standard, if it was misuse or abuse determining that will prevent you or others from having this happening to them.
When you asked what brand they were. I had told you that they was imr 2500 20a. And that they was the batteries that had came with the mod.

Caseystokley

Member For 1 Year
Do you prefer single battery or dual?
Do you use tc or power mode?
What sort of budget are you trying to maintain?
I'd rather use dual batteries just to save on battery life and like I said befor I dont plan on going above 70 watts.but as far as a price range goes I'm in the 30 to 40$ range for a mod possable more. I have to sell my other mods and rda's to get the money for my new one

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'd rather use dual batteries just to save on battery life and like I said befor I dont plan on going above 70 watts.but as far as a price range goes I'm in the 30 to 40$ range for a mod possable more. I have to sell my other mods and rda's to get the money for my new one

https://101vape.com/voopoo-drag-mod-157w-tc-tcr-silver-rainbow.html
Drag for 45$
https://101vape.com/gtrs-vboy-222w-mod-sx520-tc-tcr-black.html
Gtrs with a great YiHi chip for 45$

I would gtrs but I’m a fan of that board

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That is a great price for the GTRS and if you like it I would go with it. That board IMHO is a step up from the Gene Chip. I like both chips just never liked the look of the GTRS.

VU Sponsors