Become a Patron!

Smok alien "ohms too low"

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My sisters alien is giving her this error when she tries to fire it, as well as everything reading zero. Below are things I've told her to try but to no avail.

1. Try a different tank to rule out bad coil.
2. Take tank off, fire, put tank on, fire
3. Take out batteries
4. Push 510 pin up and down. (It did move)

Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I told her to clean the threads. Forgot to mention that but I doubt it was alcohol. I'll tell her

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My only suggestion is what happens with a subtank mini but my TFV base is enough of the same style. The positive pin in the base gets pushed up and when you take the atty off the pin doesn't go back down but goes into the base enough not to make contact. Remove the atty head, push the pin down a bit from inside the base enough you can see its sitting too far out the bottom. Put the head back into place in the base then push up the pin to contact the head. Something else is the oring might be missing on the top of the threads on the head and that usually a short and not a no contact problem.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does the alien give the 'ohms too low' message on an open?
Should be for a short not an open.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What do u mean open? With no atty on it?

An open would be a bad connection. Cleaning and such might fix. Usually shown when no atomizer is on mod.
A short however is OHMS too low.
And cannot be fixed with cleaning or tightening contacts.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
She said it still gives the error with no atty on the mod

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So if she took it apart? What should she look for?

I read somewhere that the 510 can get disconnected on the inside.

Or should she try and get it replaced? Idk if that's an option with smok

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Repair or replace.
It will be shorted on the inside. ie the middle pin to the outer 510 threads or maybe the wires twisted up and shorted.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Low ohms isn't that if it's ohming below .08 or something like that

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It won't say low ohms if shorted, it will say short or check atomizer.......

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It won't say low ohms if shorted, it will say short or check atomizer.......

But if it is not a dead short and says low ohms with no atomizer on it?
To me that is what is happening to several Aliens from the descriptions.
Perhaps the 510 is spinning and twisting the wires all up inside?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Smok warranty is only 3 months so she's gonna buy a new mod.

Her husband doesn't wanna mess with the alien so I'm gonna take it apart when I can get it from her.

Any recommendations for a decently priced 2 battery mod?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Smok warranty is only 3 months so she's gonna buy a new mod.

Her husband doesn't wanna mess with the alien so I'm gonna take it apart when I can get it from her.

Any recommendations for a decently priced 2 battery mod?

I really like my Wismec Reuleaux 2/3. I only use it with 2 batteries.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah my rx200 has been my daily mod for about a year now. Zero issues but I've heard plenty of people have problems with theirs. Just got lucky I guess. Or everyone is dropping them

My sisters alien is giving her this error when she tries to fire it, as well as everything reading zero. Below are things I've told her to try but to no avail.

1. Try a different tank to rule out bad coil.
2. Take tank off, fire, put tank on, fire
3. Take out batteries
4. Push 510 pin up and down. (It did move)

Any other ideas?

I know this a bit late. This happened to mine the other day. I just hard reset it and everything is fine with it.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't remember now what she did with it. She ended up buying a predator and that died on her in less than 2 weeks so she took it back and got another alien :facepalm:

My alien 220w did this too. The silver plate that the tank sits on where you screw in the tank gets loose or comes out. I had to pop mine out, scrape the inside of it nice and good, and super glue it back in. The 510 pin also is spring loaded inside the mod and can get moved out of place easily. Use something to poke the cap its sitting in and move it around a little until its back center. Mine got to the point recently that it was reading coils at 1.5 ohms even though i was using 0.15 coils. After every hit it would reset to zero and try to go back to a way higher number. Then it would yell at me atomizer short, or dont abuse products. Anywho, one day after using it at my desk, went to take a hit like normal and nothing. No screen or anything. Thought one of my 18650's had died so tried a fresh set, and still nothing. Holding the two front buttons put me into test mode and the screen just kept flickering and the mod was emitting a tone until I pulled the batteries. I figured it was fried internally so I went and bought the Smok Mag 225w Mod instead. My alien last me about a year before it shit out on me completely and had been well used an abused. Over 100k puffs on it, dropped many times, etc. I dont baby my stuff though. If it breaks I just go buy a new one, so I wasn't too concerned with it. Im hoping the new Smok mod holds up a bit better. Seems better made and I love the color screen! New DROP rda should be in this friday as well to replace my twisted messes rda as well. So can't wait to try all that out!

antareez

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried the hard reset and even cleaning it internally, no sign of any Twisted wires either I think the alien 220 mods are just junk that won't last very long this is the second alien mod that did the exact same thing
i'm starting to think that too. sucks, because i really like my alien mod. i started vaping two months ago and got hit with the mod bug so that i have seven mods now. but that alien was and is my favorite, simple screen, feels right in the hand, just the right weight, good output, etc.

from day one, i would always get a "ohms too high" message as soon as it turned on but then it would go away in a second. i figured it was just a start-up hiccup. alien gave me no problems, other wise. a couple of days ago, i noticed that it wasn't firing well. when i looked at the screen i saw that it was reading 0.15 ohms although i had the 0.4 pre-installed coil in it, which i've never taken out. over 3000 puffs and still going.

i found a fix in Reddit suggesting opening up the mod and resetting the pin on the spring. i did that but it was impossible to reset the pin. i could move it around but there was just no way of making the pin sit level on the spring because the pin is attached to a very thick wire that is jammed so tight into a small space that there was just no way to make it sit level on the spring.

i put it all back together and it still was reading the ohms as 0.15. so, i tried to re-install the version file. i don't know what i did with the USB cable that came with it so i tried several different cables that have come with other mods. my computer won't recognize any of them. wtf?? so, i wasn't able to install the version file. but, all that USB inserting and changing must have done something because my alien worked again!

for one day. now it's back to reading 0.15 ohms. i've searched all the forums and youtube videos (including the german two button press) but nada. can't find a solution.

yeah, i'm starting to think that the smok naysayers might not be too crazy after all. :(

Just recently gotten the "Ohms Too Low" with atomizer and incidentally "Ohms Too High" without atomizer. Tried all the easy stuff like banging it, cleaning the 510.
Fixed it by totally dismantling it and cleaning everything with alcohol. There was a huge glob of ejuice on the circuit board and many smaller drops.
There's a few teardown videos on youtube, but the hardest part is putting the menu left/right buttons back on.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning. Home sick. Going to Dr. later.

I had this same thing happen to me. Although, I have had my alien 220 for well over a year so its probably about time for a new one. It was just crazy the way it happened like literally I was using it and picked it up to vape again and it wouldnt work. At first I thought the batteries were dead but then I saw Too low ohms on the display. I tried everything to no avail... All the suggestions mentioned aside from taking it apart and I dont have the right tools to get it apart. So I guess its a new device for me. I had to go back to my kangertech subox mini for now and its killing me because the wattage is not high enough for me. So any suggestions on a new device that goes to atleast 100watts. I was thinking about the snowwolf resin or something along those lines.. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone who has had this problem I hope you have better luck than I have.

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I Agree with the guys here. If the mod is still within warranty, contact SMOK support or the vendor you have purchased it from.

Kronikloud

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine was doing that tried everything and nothing worked. Finally got mad and half threw/ dropped it on my hardwood floor in anger. And bam started working again. Before it did the ohm to low thing i woke up one night to to firing by itself had to pop the batteries out to get it off. Fried a coil and the tank was hoooot. Went way lobger than the 10 seconds its regulated to... so be careful with these glitchy mods

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
I have read bad things about SMOK firmware. Pretty much every vaper i've chatted with (mind you, i do not know a lot of fellow vapers, so take it with a grain of salt) say that their tanks are OK but their mods suck. I haven't had any of them myself so i'm just going by word of mouth here.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once again: they have the highest RMA numbers in NorAm - info from a distributor, not a specific vendor.

VU Sponsors