Become a Patron!

Smok Procolor

Hi everyone,
Does anyone here know how to update the firmware on a Smok Procolor? Mine started jamming up and will not fire. I removed the batteries and reinserted. It will light up but will not turn on at all. I left it overnight and in the morning I inserted the batteries and it turned on. I could vape for about 10 to 15 puffs and then it jammed again and this time it continues to fire.
I messaged smok tech support and they sent me a link to upgrade the firmware. After numerous attempt in trying to open the .rar file, I managed to get into the program. First thing is to Erase All which I did and second is to click on the APROM which should take you to the file my laptop. But it was blank. So, now I have a mod that is completely dead.
I appreciate any help that I can get.
Thank you all kindly.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hi everyone,
Does anyone here know how to update the firmware on a Smok Procolor? Mine started jamming up and will not fire. I removed the batteries and reinserted. It will light up but will not turn on at all. I left it overnight and in the morning I inserted the batteries and it turned on. I could vape for about 10 to 15 puffs and then it jammed again and this time it continues to fire.
I messaged smok tech support and they sent me a link to upgrade the firmware. After numerous attempt in trying to open the .rar file, I managed to get into the program. First thing is to Erase All which I did and second is to click on the APROM which should take you to the file my laptop. But it was blank. So, now I have a mod that is completely dead.
I appreciate any help that I can get.
Thank you all kindly.
This from another forum i used to be on.

"Finally after a month of bothering smok and getting very unhelpful replies they provided me with a link to the procolor firmware 1.0.5 however the ISP tool included does not work for whatever reason. Download this ISP tool

http://7xjcc4.com2.z0.glb.qiniucdn.com/device/ISPTool.zip

And drag and drop the .hex file into that extracted folder.
Procolor firmware 1.0.5 https://odhk2xgq4.qnssl.com/file/15105625861487476ltpsi791.rar

This worked for both of my procolors but as always update at your own risk. And watch a YouTube video if you have never done this before. Remove battery and atomizer and never let off the fire button."

Thank you kindly for the links. I will give it a go tomorrow. The .hex file is in the second link?
I have browsed the net for youtube videos on doing firmware upgrades but am yet to come across any. I only found DJLsb Vapes video on the procolor review and how he reassembles it. But none on updating nor on disassembly.

Thanks again. Greatly appreciated. I will inform once I have done it.

Have a pleasant day.

Skyhawk.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Just a quick message. I just found a tutorial video on smok firmware upgrades.

Cheers.
Good. I hope it works for you. Ill admit im a computer dumbo :giggle:, I only have an old one thats not connected but used for keeping photo files and music on, just that I remembered a few posts and stuff on upgrades etc there.
Cheers, good luck.

I am also not good with computers. I have tried everything (opening the files with winzip) and managed to connect the mod to the ISP tool and when I click on the APROM (at the top left hand), nothing shows up. It opens my desktop and the where I had saved the .hex but shows that there is no file there. I am truly lost. I have tried to drag the .hex file to the ISP Tool but it will not allow that. SmokTech support said that they have sent me all the files and information and cannot help me anymore and suggested that I ask friends.

Regards,

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Sorry but it sounds like time for a new mod- did you have a leaky tank? Did you drop it? Tank Could have leaked liquid thru the 510 into the mod and ruined the board-

Hahaha, I cannot afford a new mod. That's why I am trying my best to fix it. No leaky tanks either. I have a Vaporesso Cascade sub ohm tank and it has been good. The fire bar is not sticky at all (does not get stuck at all). Well, even when I charged the batteries with the mod. it is okay (charges to 4.25v) but keeps showing as charging even when the USB cable is removed. I usually charge all my batteries on my XTAR VC4.
But coming to think of it, I have used my RDTA a few times on this mod and yes, there seemed to have been some eliquid in the 510. But I took the 4 screws on the top cover off and it all looked dry and nice.
Too late now as I has erased the program (as part of the procedure) while trying to install the firmware update.
Cheers.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, know you're saying you cannot afford. Still I would like to offer a few suggestions.

IJOY Cigpet Capo VW Vape Box Mod

Authentic ShenRay GEO TC Box Mod

Rincoe Mechman Mod

I tried to stay under $40 so as to be at least bottom end affodable. I'm sure others on the forum could locate even more affordable mods. Worst case you get something to use until you can get the mod that costs the big $$s you want.

Got a few spares here but not sure you'd like squonkers. The non-squonking mods I got are put aside for my "just in case" too. So, apologies for not offering up anything to send out. I don't keep a mod library like some. *chuckles*

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Bummer sounds like its dead. I have one of these Aegis Max mods. Undrownable. Great little mod.
Can be got under 40 bucks in the US.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Procolor was the first mod I ever bought :)

I did upgrade mine and still have the files around here somewhere.

However, the problem you're describing is almost certainly not a firmware issue. It can't hurt to try, but I really don't think that's it.

It's too bad we don't live near each other. I can almost promise you I could get that firmware back on there and actually opening it up and cleaning it out might fix the trouble you're having. At least for a while.

Let me ask this. Can you get the Nuvoton utility to see the mod at all?

It's been a few years now, but I think you have to take the batteries out and hold the fire button while you're connecting it until it shows up. Is that it? Or did I have to hold the fire bar the whole time LOL!

i can't remeber now, but the first step is seeing if the upgrade utility sees the mod.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am also not good with computers. I have tried everything (opening the files with winzip) and managed to connect the mod to the ISP tool and when I click on the APROM (at the top left hand), nothing shows up. It opens my desktop and the where I had saved the .hex but shows that there is no file there. I am truly lost. I have tried to drag the .hex file to the ISP Tool but it will not allow that. SmokTech support said that they have sent me all the files and information and cannot help me anymore and suggested that I ask friends.
Oh boy. :wait: This is not hopeless. It's just very tough to do over the web like this. See if when you go to open the firmware file in the utility, if there's an option on the bottom of the dialog to tell it what file types to look for.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I broke the usb port in my first Procolor early by tripping over the cable like an idiot, but somewhere around here I have a new camouflage one, which I really wanted. :D

I'll try sometime tomorrow to dig it out and play around with it to see if I can help you get it back.

I'm betting if you got the firmware back on there and could open it up and spray it out with some electronic contact cleaner, you could get some more use out of it.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man it's been 3 years now, but if I'm remembering right, the included tool is the wrong version and won't interface with the mod correctly.

The first step is seeing if the tool will see the mod.

When you get a chance download THIS from my server. I know that's the right files.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OR, ...you can just get a different mod and not go through all this :D

I have this personality quirk where I hate giving up on stuff when I think it might still be able to be fixed lol.

My Procolor was the first mod I ever bought :)

I did upgrade mine and still have the files around here somewhere.

However, the problem you're describing is almost certainly not a firmware issue. It can't hurt to try, but I really don't that's it.

It's too bad we don't live near each other. I can almost promise you I could get that firmware back on there and actually opening it up and cleaning it out might fix the trouble you're having. At least for a while.

Let me ask this. Can you get the Nuvoton utility to see the mod at all?

It's been a few years now, but I think you have to take the batteries out and hold the fire button while you're connecting it until it shows up. Is that it? Or did I have to hold the fire bar the whole time LOL!

i can't remeber now, but the first step is seeing if the upgrade utility sees the mod.
Hi @SnapDragon NY ,
Good morning and wish you and everyone here a Blessed Sunday. Yes, I can actually connect the mod to the nuvoton ISP tool and when I click on the APROM icon, it opens my desktop files but show blank page for the .hex file. I have attached the screenshots. Maybe the .hex file is missing some extensions as the .hex file seems small - only 332kb. I don't know where I am going wrong on this.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Good morning,
Yes, I have the same perseverance. I will strip everything down to try and fix it as long as it has screws or bolts holding them. I have currently, a Ryobi brush cutter completely stripped down as the piston is badly scratched and the rings are jammed (trying to source cheap parts). Same with my Husqvarna chainsaw (parts on order from AliExpress - really cheap @ AUD 9 for a piston kit).
I have attached some screenshots in my previous post. Hope someone can help me figure out the smok mod.
Also if anyone here has a strip down drawing / video of the Procolor. I started removing the top 4 screws and the bottom 3 screws but didn't know how to pull out the insides without damaging anything.
I love the flashing colour lights on this mod.
Thanks @SnapDragon NY

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hi @SnapDragon NY ,
Good morning and wish you and everyone here a Blessed Sunday. Yes, I can actually connect the mod to the nuvoton ISP tool and when I click on the APROM icon, it opens my desktop files but show blank page for the .hex file. I have attached the screenshots. Maybe the .hex file is missing some extensions as the .hex file seems small - only 332kb. I don't know where I am going wrong on this.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Oops- I think you meant to post this to @gsmit1 - he is so wonderful and very helpful, hopefully he will help you will get your mod up and running again!
It is Saturday 7:30 pm here in NY- I hope you have a great Sunday!

:hug:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The correct file is in the download I posted. I know for sure this works. I did it myself though it's been almost 3 years. Make sure you're navigating to the correct folder where the hex file is

There was one mod where I had to change the extension to .bin, but I don't think it was this one.

Also, if you take it apart to clean it out, do NOT get any solvents on the screen. Everything else is okay, but not the screen.

THIS stuff is worth it's weight in gold. It's designed exactly for cleaning electronics. However, it will kill your screen if you get too much on it.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
See Daniel's old video. I think the screen is connected by a ribbon socket. If it is, you can take the screen off the board and just soak the whole thing down.

However, those small sockets are fidgety and easy to break so you have be careful when opening and closing them.

The correct file is in the download I posted. I know for sure this works. I did it myself though it's been almost 3 years. Make sure you're navigating to the correct folder where the hex file is

There was one mod where I had to change the extension to .bin, but I don't think it was this one.

Also, if you take it apart to clean it out, do NOT get any solvents on the screen. Everything else is okay, but not the screen.

THIS stuff is worth it's weight in gold. It's designed exactly for cleaning electronics. However, it will kill your screen if you get too much on it.
Hi gsmit1,
That's the files I used (downloaded from your 2 links here.) Do I need to open those with winzip first? . I even tried to drag the .hex file to the NuvoISP tool but it will not drop as it shows as not a ISP file. Even here, when I tried to attach the files the .hex file page will be blank.
Is it my laptop? I am using windows 10.
Thanks.

@gsmit1 ,
I will have a look at Daniel's video. I think I can handle ribbon connectors as I have stripped down my old iPhone 4 and put in an aftermarket battery and done the same for my Samsung Tablet.
Thanks for all the help and support here.
Main thing now is to get the mod up and running again and take it from there. As I have erased the existing firmware, it will not even light up when I insert the batteries.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi gsmit1,
That's the files I used (downloaded from your 2 links here.) Do I need to open those with winzip first? . I even tried to drag the .hex file to the NuvoISP tool but it will not drop as it shows as not a ISP file. Even here, when I tried to attach the files the .hex file page will be blank.
Is it my laptop? I am using windows 10.
Thanks.
Yes you need to unzip the package somewhere first. Winzip works or Win 10 has a native compression utility that will do it too.

You need to put all the files in a folder, get the mod recognized in the upgrade tool and when choosing which file to use to flash the mod, if it's in the same folder as the tool, it SHOULD find it.

If it isn't showing up, you need to make sure the dialog is looking in the right folder.

if worse comes to worse, I can log in to your machine and look at it if you like. I know you don't know me, but anybody here will tell you that I'm trustworthy and am also a professional PC support guy.

Last edited:
@gsmit1 ,
Wow! That would be fantastic. I would greatly appreciate it if you can remote access my laptop and we can try and resolve this together. I trust you and would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.
Firstly, we need to work out a suitable and convenient time for both of us. I live in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia and my time at this moment is 17.42 (5.42pm Monday, 17th May, 2021).
Probably the best time would be over the weekend or we can agree on a date and time.
Thanks again and look forward to your help.
*At the moment, I have many files and folders with basically the same stuff as I have tried so many ways to open the .hex and the nuvotool. I will now delete all and retain only the two (2) winzip folders from Vaping Underground. So there will be zero confusion.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That was the next thing I was going to ask. What country you're in LOL!

It would be 100 times easier with some verbal communication because I would need to tell you some stuff to do.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm about 90% sure the problem you're having is because you need to tell the open files dialog to look for "all files."

You need v1.44 of the Nuvoton tool, but since you say it does see the mod, you must already have that version.

I just reflashed mine. You definitely don't have to erase the old code first btw.

Using v1.44 all I did was
Have the tool open on the computer,

leave the tank off,

leave the batteries out,

hold the fire button while connecting it to the computer, (hold it the whole time until you're done) *

click connect (it will connect and the green progress field on the bottom will appear)

Click "aprom" on the left toward the top,

The open file dialog will appear.

On the bottom change it from bin files to "all files."
If the hex file is in the same folder with the tool it will show up. Select it. (highlight and click "ok" or just double click it)

Once that's done, click "start."

It will take a few seconds to complete and when it does, click "disconnect" on the top of the utility window.

Put some batteries in it and it should start.

* You may not have to hold the fire button once it connects, but I know it works this way for sure and I seem to remember doing it this way a few years ago. .

Last edited:
That was the next thing I was going to ask. What country you're in LOL!

It would be 100 times easier with some verbal communication because I would need to tell you some stuff to do.
Do you have whatsapp on your mobile phone? With whatsapp we can do a video call and you can see and walk me through the process. Most remote access apps will have a dialogue box as well. Depending on what your are using to access my laptop.

I'm about 90% sure the problem you're having is because you need to tell the open files dialog to look for "all files."

You need v1.44 of the Nuvoton tool, but since you say it does see the mod, you must already have that version.

I just reflashed mine. You definitely don't have to erase the old code first btw.

Using v1.44 all I did was
Have the tool open on the computer,

leave the tank off,

leave the batteries out,

hold the fire button while connecting it to the computer, (hold it the whole time until you're done) *

click connect (it will connect and the green progress field on the bottom will appear)

Click "aprom" on the left toward the top,

The open file dialog will appear.

On the bottom change it from bin files to "all files."
If the hex file is in the same folder with the tool it will show up. Select it. (highlight and click "ok" or just double click it)

Once that's done, click "start."

It will take a few seconds to complete and when it does, click "disconnect" on the top of the utility window.

Put some batteries in it and it should start.

* You may not have to hold the fire button once it connects, but I know it works this way for sure and I seem to remeber doing this way a few years ago. .
I have done exactly as you suggested above but only thing is that at the bottom, where you say click "all files", mine does not show as "bin files". It only shows as "code". Wait a minute. Okay, I didn't see the "bin files" on the bottom right.
DONE!! YIPPEEEEE. It's all good now and seems to be working again. I connected and changed the bin file to all files and clicked start. Within a few seconds, it shows as PASS. . Inserted the batteries and it started flashing and I could tun it on. Now shows as 225w. Will put on an atomizer and try it.
THANK YOU KINDLY @gsmit1.
Will put

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@gsmit1 ,
I have Vaped on it for about an hour and seems fine now. All the functions work as they should.

Thanks again. You have a pleasant day and keep safe.
You bet :)

If it starts doing weird stuff like jumping resistances or "no atom" etc. Take it apart like we were saying and clean it out. You can rig something up to soak the whole dangling 510 assembly in isopropyl alcohol in a small bowl if you can't get your hands on some of that electronics cleaner. Make sure you use some object to work it into the spring loaded outer side. Work it around and rinse it a few times in the bowl.

Gunked up old juice, especially in the 510 assembly can cause an inconsistent connection.

Cotton swabs (q-tips over here) soaked in alcohol can be used to loosen up any crust you find there or anywhere else too.

@gsmit1, Thanks for the tip on cleaning out the parts. I will save the video from Daniel and keep it for a rainy day. I have vaped on the mod all day yesterday and most of today, and so far it has been good and has not played up in any way at all. (Fingers crossed).
Thanks again mate for all the help and support.
I have also updated Jenna Zhang from smoktech support as she spent a week trying to help me but she never mentioned anything about the small yet important detail about the "bin files", which you did. Thanks.
Have a pleasant day and warm regards.

VU Sponsors