Become a Patron!

smok stick v8 tank/coils - use with a diff battery?

this is probably a stupid question, but i haven't been able to find an answer.

i have a smok stick v8 and have had it for about 3 years now. i like the simplicity. last week it started dying. charge it all night and the red charging light is still on in the morning. it only holds a charge for a couple hours worth of vaping) i just bought about 15 new coils a month ago. money being tight, i'd rather just buy a new battery and use the existing tanks and coils i already have

question: could i use the tank and coils (Baby M2 - .15ohm) on a different battery? i was looking at the smok stick V9 and the specs looked pretty similar, but i'm not sure. i'm open to other suggestions as well. prefer stick type, no adjustable voltage - basic.

any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Dohhh ! Get a replaceable battery one. Now where's my donuts...

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I had yhe v9max. Wasnt my cup of tea but it was decent. Never gave me issues. N is still working fine for the guy i sold it to.

I had yhe v9max. Wasnt my cup of tea but it was decent. Never gave me issues. N is still working fine for the guy i sold it to.
thanks for the reply. any idea if the coils from a v8 would work in a v9? that's my main question - i just want to buy more coils if i don't have to.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
You can use your tank on most any mod that has the same type connection (510) and if provides the appropriate power. You can get that/ or other mod separately if you don't want the kit.
I don't see why the V9 wouldn't work sense coils for those kits come in the .15 variety.
When a built in battery like V8 dies, the whole thing is a paperweight. And surprisingly you got 3 yrs out of it.
With a replaceable battery you still have at least the batteries or the mod.
With the impending laws,, and vape mail bans effective this month, I'd encourage you to stock up on devices and everything needed to vape if you plan to continue.

If you want something that is direct power only, have a look at variable voltage mods or regulated that has VV setting. Or if you have the experience mech.

Last edited:

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It is a different tank that comes on the v9. But yes you can use the tank you already have on it.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hi and Welcome-
You can pretty much use that tank with any 510 mod that will give you enough power for the tank.
Removable battery regulated( adjustable wattage) mods are the way to go- either dual 18650 or single battery mods that can take an 18650, 21700 or a 20700 battery . Buy the batteries from a reputable dealer like 18650 Battery Store or Liion Wholesale. I like the Molicel Batteries.
There is a vape mail shipping ban that will go into effect the end of March if you are in the US.
I like Asmodus and they are having a 70% off sale with free shipping- the Lustro or the Minikin are great 18650 dual battery mods. The Colossal is a nice single 18650 battery mod.
Many like the Vandy Vape Jackaroo or the Geekvape Aegis mods- these are dust proof,shock proof and water resistant.
Nice to have a few mods and tanks, just in case- for spares, backups. Also I hope you have an RBA ( rebuildable coil) for the Baby Beast tank, so you can make your own coils when you may not be able to buy the coils for your tank.
Look for a nice single coil RDA( drip atomizer) like the Mongrel or a single coil RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer) like the Augvape Intake.

Hi and Welcome-
You can pretty much use that tank with any 510 mod that will give you enough power for the tank.
Removable battery regulated( adjustable wattage) mods are the way to go- either dual 18650 or single battery mods that can take an 18650, 21700 or a 20700 battery . Buy the batteries from a reputable dealer like 18650 Battery Store or Liion Wholesale. I like the Molicel Batteries.
There is a vape mail shipping ban that will go into effect the end of March if you are in the US.
I like Asmodus and they are having a 70% off sale with free shipping- the Lustro or the Minikin are great 18650 dual battery mods. The Colossal is a nice single 18650 battery mod.
Many like the Vandy Vape Jackaroo or the Geekvape Aegis mods- these are dust proof,shock proof and water resistant.
Nice to have a few mods and tanks, just in case- for spares, backups. Also I hope you have an RBA ( rebuildable coil) for the Baby Beast tank, so you can make your own coils when you may not be able to buy the coils for your tank.
Look for a nice single coil RDA( drip atomizer) like the Mongrel or a single coil RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer) like the Augvape Intake.

thanks! i've noticed the batteries come in either flat top or button top. none of the mods seem to specify which one they take. i'm leaning towards the geekvape aegis, and i've scoured their site to no avail. they only seem to sell flat top batteries on geekvape's site, so i'm guessing it uses one.

is one or the other pretty standard?

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Yes you would need flat top batteries for the Geekvape Aegis

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
[HASH=3872]#carl669[/HASH] "
i have a smok stick v8 and it started dying. I use the Baby M2 - .15ohm. I'm leaning towards the geekvape aegis.
Paraphrased, but

I wanted to mention about batteries, the power you use, and how those 2 relate to your mod and battery choices.

e.g. - I have Molicel P26A and Samsung 30Q [both18650] in my rotation. And what I use depends on the amount of power I'll be using. If I vaped at higher power than what those batteries are designed to do, then I would need something like Samsung 20S. Why don't I use 20S with everything? so I'm covered with low and high power? Runtime.

Picking your batteries is important. to stay as safe as possible, and that for your wattage range you get as much run time between charges as possible. Unless you don't mind swapping batteries a lot and running them through charge cycles on a charger [not in a mod].

What Aegis are you looking at?
Have you ever vaped your tank on a regulated mod and know what the wattage was?

Last edited:
[HASH=3872]#carl669[/HASH] "

Paraphrased, but

I wanted to mention about batteries, the power you use, and how those 2 relate to your mod and battery choices.

e.g. - I have Molicel P24A and Samsung 30Q [both18650] in my rotation. And what I use depends on the amount of power I'll be using. If I vaped at higher power than what those batteries are designed to do, then I would need something like Samsung 20S. Why don't I use 20S with everything? so I'm covered with low and high power? Runtime.

Picking your batteries is important. to stay as safe as possible, and that for your wattage range you get as much run time between charges as possible. Unless you don't mind swapping batteries a lot and running them through charge cycles on a charger [not in a mod].

What Aegis are you looking at?
Have you ever vaped your tank on a regulated mod and know what the wattage was?

i landed on the aegis solo 100W. the other aegis' are nicer, but i like the size of this one.

i've never run my tank on anything other than that smok stick though. from what i can find online, it runs 45-60W and i'm pretty happy running at that range. i poked around on 18650 battery and found a molicel P26A that i was considering. thoughts for or against?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Sry, yes
P26A is very good for 45-60w w/its 25amps. Get several. Have a charger?

There was a time when I used single 18650 regulated mods, then I got tired of carrying extra charged batteries around and decided a mod that holds 2 was better. Now, my single cell regulated mods are 21700, a couple mechs are 1x18650.

Sry, yes
P26A is very good for 45-60w w/its 25amps. Get several. Have a charger?

There was a time when I used single 18650 regulated mods, then I got tired of carrying extra charged batteries around and decided a mod that holds 2 was better. Now, my single cell regulated mods are 21700, a couple mechs are 1x18650.
Perfect. i grabbed a few of those and a charger.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I bought a used Prince stick from a dude leaving my local b&m for $12. I think he probably tried to sell it to the shop but that is not their gig. He asked me and I said I only had like $12 and he accepted it was like new and probably was. I bought it JUST for the Prince tank. I do not use the stick. As a matter of fact if anyone wants it they can have it.

everything got here saturday afternoon, but i was out of town so just getting around to setting it up. batteries are currently charging. it's been about an hour, but the first bar is still flashing (nitecore D2 charger). any thought on how long it should take to charge? (Molicel P26A 18650 2600mAh 35A)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Make sure the charger is in charge mode. Some chargers have selectable charging amps.
@.5amps it could take 2-3 hrs. New batteries should already be partially charged, about 3.7V/47ish%.
Regulated mods have a cutoff voltage to keep batteries from over discharging so generally when the battery power gets down to, about 3.2V[< mod specific], the mod will warn low battery or not fire. Probably be a message on the screen. But while your waiting to see how your charger is doing, its ok to vape on those new partially charged batteries. You can give them a check on the charger.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
It is usually suggested to use a separate battery charger as not to ruin the USB connection on the mod. In a pinch you can use the USB charge on the mod. Just better for your batteries and mod to charge on a battery charger instead of using the mod.
Glad to hear you are liking your new setup!

VU Sponsors