Become a Patron!

Staggered fused claptons with cores smaller than 24ga.....

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are pissing me off. My first try, I used 24 and 36ga SS and they turned out pretty nice. I might have screwed up once or twice but overall I was satisfied. I posted these elsewhere but here's a couple photos:
20210115_175733.jpg
20210117_194940.jpg

I wanted to use smaller cores but keep the same clapton wrap which is 36ga. I can't go more than an inch and it starts messing up. I'm using the same routine I used with the bigger cores. I've done it two ways with those. Two separate spaced claptons and fused those, or I just folded my stick in half. Neither way gave me trouble with 24ga SS.

• I space my core or cores using the button method.
  • I reverse my drill to loosen up the 36ga so it can move freely.
  • I set up two spaced claptons in my drill and swivel ends.
  • I go slowly hoping it doesn't overlap anywhere it shouldn't.

Could it be that I just need glasses or magnification? I can see when a mistake happens, just can't really fix them. I'm thinking if I had a magnifying lamp or glass these would be easier for me.

It seems like an easy enough concept. Maybe I just need more experience too. I watched some guy on YouTube yesterday do a smaller SFC using 28ga cores. He didn't put both ends into the swivel. One of them was just flopping all around while spinning. I dunno.. I'll keep trying and maybe I'll get it. It just seems like a waste of wire until I can see what's going on better. I'd been meaning to buy a nice magnifying glass but haven't yet.

Did you ever have any problems with these?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was able to do some 26ga and even 28ga to a point. I'm really starting to believe I can't do these without the proper vision. I cheated and used 36ga for the spaced claptons. I fused them together with 38ga. I thought that'd solve all my problems but I still messed up two thirds of both sticks. I was able to get one six wrap decent looking coil per stick when I should have 3 or 4 good coils. I just can't see what the heck is going on. Here's the ones I made today:

20210122_183323.jpg

I wanted to try it with some ribbons in between but probably would've screwed up. I need to get better at just the plain staggered fused clapton first.

I need to order a magnifying lamp before I try any more of these.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was able to do some 26ga and even 28ga to a point. I'm really starting to believe I can't do these without the proper vision. I cheated and used 36ga for the spaced claptons. I fused them together with 38ga. I thought that'd solve all my problems but I still messed up two thirds of both sticks. I was able to get one six wrap decent looking coil per stick when I should have 3 or 4 good coils. I just can't see what the heck is going on. Here's the ones I made today:

View attachment 176890

I wanted to try it with some ribbons in between but probably would've screwed up. I need to get better at just the plain staggered fused clapton first.

I need to order a magnifying lamp before I try any more of these.
Practice Practice and more practice, oh and a whole lot of patience, lol.

Those actually look pretty good though.

I bought this, I wish it was bigger but I can mount it anywhere I'm winding and it helps immensely.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Are pissing me off. My first try, I used 24 and 36ga SS and they turned out pretty nice. I might have screwed up once or twice but overall I was satisfied. I posted these elsewhere but here's a couple photos:
View attachment 176810
View attachment 176811

I wanted to use smaller cores but keep the same clapton wrap which is 36ga. I can't go more than an inch and it starts messing up. I'm using the same routine I used with the bigger cores. I've done it two ways with those. Two separate spaced claptons and fused those, or I just folded my stick in half. Neither way gave me trouble with 24ga SS.

Could it be that I just need glasses or magnification? I can see when a mistake happens, just can't really fix them. I'm thinking if I had a magnifying lamp or glass these would be easier for me.

It seems like an easy enough concept. Maybe I just need more experience too. I watched some guy on YouTube yesterday do a smaller SFC using 28ga cores. He didn't put both ends into the swivel. One of them was just flopping all around while spinning. I dunno.. I'll keep trying and maybe I'll get it. It just seems like a waste of wire until I can see what's going on better. I'd been meaning to buy a nice magnifying glass but haven't yet.

Did you ever have any problems with these?
It sounds like you're doing everything right, you mentioned that was your first try with that ga....much better looking than my first go!

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Practice Practice and more practice, oh and a whole lot of patience, lol.

Those actually look pretty good though.

I bought this, I wish it was bigger but I can mount it anywhere I'm winding and it helps immensely.

Yes! Something like that would be a big help, I know it. I'll do some research on those to see what's popular. I like that one though. That's the style I'd probably go for.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes! Something like that would be a big help, I know it. I'll do some research on those to see what's popular. I like that one though. That's the style I'd probably go for.
Smart plan. I didn't research this one, bought it out of frustration one day when I threw some wire across the room ?

This style is perfect, but I'd buy a different model if this one broke.

I'd be interested to know what you come up with if you do decide to buy one.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Smart plan. I didn't research this one, bought it out of frustration one day when I threw some wire across the room ?

This style is perfect, but I'd buy a different model if this one broke.

I'd be interested to know what you come up with if you do decide to buy one.
I'm kind of liking this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Brightech-Li...7c4b08a37f8b5babef0a2212c9473b&language=en_US

It's got a base but you can take it off and use a clamp. I'm not sure if it's got the magnifying power I need but it should. Like you said, it might be too small though. I'll keep checking.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I had a magnifier n light combo headset. Worked gr8. Till my kids used it to play space cops n broke it.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Two separate spaced claptons and fused those, or I just folded my stick in half. Neither way gave me trouble with 24ga SS.

*sits, scribbles notes as he too has tempted learning & building ... steps back out quietly*

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*sits, scribbles notes as he too has tempted learning & building ... steps back out quietly*

I thought fused Clapton meant simply putting two strands of plain wire together. What I saw was two strands fused by a wrap. Now, I understand better. A person creates two Clapton and fuses them with a wrap.

Seems much too involved for my liking, and too massive. Good to get notes like this at times. A person can learn how they misconstrue something. I often misread stuff like this, have to learn the hard way.

Last edited:

FlavorOverClouds

Member For 1 Year
I am about to do the same. I just finished making some sfc 2x24g/36g+36g and added a 3rd 24g plain core tonight and ran out of 36g fuse wire. I just ordered more 36g and 38g for fuse wire and some 26g for cores. I plan to start with plain fused claptons 26/36 and 26/38 before I stagger anything. I use the mini clamp stagger method. Good luck!65467379-F670-4771-92D4-0AB2DC095EEF.jpeg

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got some practice in today. I watched a Nick Devine video about staple staggered fused claptons. I thought I'd give it a shot. I used 24+36ga and .5 ribbon. I thought it was going really good. I was almost done and realised that about half way down my line that the ribbons shifted sideways. I reversed all the way back and did it over (I don't suggest it lol).

I used big wire just to see if I could do it. I failed miserably at wrapping the good portion of my stick. I wrapped the second half a bit better but it's ugly because of my ribbon mistake.

Here's my ugly ass coils but I still count this as a positive. I'll get better and better with practice.
20210124_180623.jpg
20210124_180552.jpg

It turned out to be really thick wire. I haven't wrapped staples in a while especially that thick.

Nice to see you're making staggered coils too @FlavorOverClouds.

FlavorOverClouds

Member For 1 Year
I got some practice in today. I watched a Nick Devine video about staple staggered fused claptons. I thought I'd give it a shot. I used 24+36ga and .5 ribbon. I thought it was going really good. I was almost done and realised that about half way down my line that the ribbons shifted sideways. I reversed all the way back and did it over (I don't suggest it lol).

I used big wire just to see if I could do it. I failed miserably at wrapping the good portion of my stick. I wrapped the second half a bit better but it's ugly because of my ribbon mistake.

I am anxiously awaiting my wire order. Thinner wire is going to be a challenge but one I am excited to accept. Next time I plan to pick up some ribbon too. I have plenty of coils and sticks ready to go which is good because someone is sending me a PIF package with some single-coil RDAs and a mech. My Lit took a hit and stopped working, so that sucks. Might be in the market for a new/cheap dual coil RDA or RTA.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Here's my ugly ass coils but I still count this as a positive. I'll get better and better with practice.
View attachment 177012
View attachment 177013

It turned out to be really thick wire. I haven't wrapped staples in a while especially that thick.

I'd hit that.....I mean I'd vape those coils. Not bad!

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's what I did yesterday. 2x26+ 4x.4/36
20210125_161603.jpg
20210125_161659.jpg

Then I turned that into this:
20210126_102419.jpg20210126_102725.jpg

What the hell!? I can wrap fraliens but I turn these into garbage. It sucks lol. I need to practice doing it but after all that time and concentration... I'm going smaller with everything next time. Maybe add another ribbon though so it flatter.

What I've been doing now for my mistakes like skipping is using my BB gun scope eye piece. I kind of stole a magnifying piece off of a BB gun scope a while ago. I used it to hold up to my phone for pictures. I still haven't ordered a lamp. I still need to decide what I want.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Update: Practice makes perfect. Remember that.

I'm doing pretty good making these coils now. I needed to work on my patience. I was used to flying through alien wraps. Once I started taking my time and paying attention to detail, my work improved. I've mostly been making 2x28+38. Did I list that properly? 2Ɨ28/38+38? I dunno. You know what I mean probably. The wire vapes awesome.

One more thing, treating the spaced clapton wire or wires really delicately is a good practice. I screwed up a few of them because the spaces were inconsistent.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Beautiful coils.
Thank you! It's been a fun hobby even though my basement is pretty cold this time of year lol. I've finally made a halfway decent staple staggered.
6l9fwMQ.jpg

3J4UWsX.jpg

They'll get better šŸ˜ . I used all N80. 28/38ga spaced clapton frames, 6 x .3 ribbon, and fused together with another 38ga wire.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Better?... how? That coil looks like jewelry.
I just think I can make them a lot cleaner. I'm not really a perfectionist but when it comes to coils, I can see imperfections in the tiniest details. Maybe I am bit of a perfectionist lol. I've enjoyed growing as a "builder".

Today I staggered with 40ga wire. I've been doing 38ga not much problems anymore, why not try 40?
0eBFTJD.jpg

qyvwsOH.jpg

gjZWzSk.jpg

It's a bit more difficult to work with the thinner wire. I know it probably just looks like more of the same but the thinner you go, the tougher it is to make.

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm supposed to be being a good boy, not looking at fancy toys like that...

I do really like that fat internal juice holding groove in the pics though... :)

VU Sponsors