Become a Patron!

Steam Crave Glaz Mini MTL RTA - Review

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Glaz Mini MTL RTA from Steam crave. The Glaz Mini MTL RTA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Steam Crave.

http://www.steamcrave.com/glazminimtlrta-p00079p1.html

Introduction

Steam crave are best known for their high quality, large capacity RTA's and RDTA's featuring multiple airflow options, versatility, and multi deck options but here we have something quite different in the form of an Authentic MTL RTA!

Quite some difference in size from the original 30mm in diameter DL Glaz RTA but with the same exceptional build quality and see through glass chamber. It has the option of extending from 2ml to 5ml and features an easy build single coil deck and equally uncomplicated airflow system. This has been out since the end of 2019 but for those not familiar with it the Glaz Mini MTL RTA is more than worth a good look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Glaz Mini 2ml whole unit
1 x 5ml extension part
1 x Spare glass heating chamber
1 x Spare 2ml glass
1 x Allen Key
1 x Spare o-rings and screws
1 x User Manual
1 x Steam Crave Sticker

Aesthetics

The Glaz Mini MTL RTA comes in cardboard flip open packaging with viewing window which Steam Crave tanks usually come in so the RTA can be viewed without opening the box. I received the Stainless Steel version, it's available in Stainless Steel, Black or Gunmetal, all versions have a two piece 510 drip tip up top which comprises of a Delrin tip and Stainless Steel bottom section which features heat sink fins.

The tank has two looks depending on if the metal extension is fitted which adds more metal to the upper section with carved branding and makes it quite a tall MTL RTA. The other look and how the Tank is pre-assembled makes it a stumpy RTA with narrow glass section and knurled base and top-cap which gives good grip for removing the base, turning the AFC and removing the top-cap to fill with juice.

The knurled AFC has a single 1.6mm airflow hole and the tanks main aesthetic feature is the glass chamber so the build is visible during use. Moving to the base we have a protruding 510 and both etched branding and safety marks. The overall build quality including machining, threading and tolerances are up to the usual Steam Crave exceptional standards!

İmage İmage

Glaz Mini MTL RTA Specs and Features:

Diameter: 23mm
Height with drip tip (2ml): 40mm
Height with drip tip (5ml): 49.6mm
Capacity: 2ml/5ml
Drip tip: 510
Thread: 510
Glass chamber
Rebuildable: Single Coil
Adjustable airflow system
Easy refilling with 4 big top-refilling ports
Colours: Stainless Steel, Black, Gunmetal

What You Receive?

You receive the Glaz Mini pre-assembled in 2ml mode which includes a 2 piece 510 drip tip so you can use your own if you prefer. You also receive a metal tank extension which takes the capacity from 2ml to 5ml and both a spare glass chamber and outer glass tube. Finally you receive spare 0-rings, grub screws and a T-piece tool but sadly no coils or cotton which is a con for me as i believe any RTA should come with what you need to do at least one build.

It's Various Parts!

Starting up top as mentioned we have a 2 piece 510 drip tip which consists of a Delrin tip which screws into the Stainless Steel bottom section which is a standard 510 fitting and has heat sink fins. The top-cap has knurling for good grip and needs unscrewing to reveal 4 fill slots which are all quite narrow so a bit of patience is needed when filling. I prefer quicker access when filling but because the Glaz Mini has an extension piece which can be screwed on this needs to share the same threading as the top-cap so it's not practical to have the much preferred bayonet style fitting.

We have a Stainless Steel frame which holds all the glass sections in place that unscrews from the fill plate which includes a small chimney and Stainless Steel ceiling of the chamber. The rest of the chamber is a glass tube which looks just like a standard glass tube but very small, this fits to the ceiling and both it and the outer glass section is held in place by the Stainless Steel frame when screwed back onto the fill plate.

We then have the base section with floating deck and AFC ring which has knurling that matches the knurling of the top-cap.

Extension Section

Included is an extension metal tank section which takes the capacity to 5ml. To fit simply unscrew the top-cap and screw the extension piece in place which also houses an extension to the fill ports and chimney, the top-cap then screws onto the extension!

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

The Airflow

Steam Crave with their DL RTA's and RDTA's are known for their multiple airflow options but on the Glaz Mini MTL RTA it's a simple design of airflow outlets directly underneath where the coil will be positioned and single hole airflow control via the airflow control ring.

The airflow control ring has a 1.6mm hole which can be lined up with either a 0.8mm, 1.0mm, 1.2mm or 1.6mm airflow hole for draws of various restriction. The air is then fed underneath the deck and up through the four 0.8mm outlets underneath the coil.

RTA's that use inserts directly underneath the coil usually include what they call a split airflow with 2 smaller outlets rather than 1, i always find this the best insert to use as it gives a much smoother draw. The 4 outlets on the Glaz Mini is the same concept but 4 outlets rather than 2 should really give this a super smooth draw!

İmage İmage

The Deck And Build

The Glaz Mini has a simple deck design with 2 posts facing each other which use the screw heads as clamps which gives the added benefit of having larger screw heads than other designs so much less fiddly to unscrew and screw down when fixing your coil leads in position. We have channels with a port towards the bottom of each positioned centrally to feed the cotton placed in the channels and the airflow outlets underneath where the coil will be positioned i have already described.

Loosen the screw heads (phillips) and then just slip your leads in place (they will slide between the side lip and screw head). Position the coil centrally over the airflow outlets and fasten the screws down tight, the side lips will stop the leads popping out and help trap them under the screw head. Then just use a coiling rod or fit for purpose tool to position the coil exactly where you want it and then check the screws are still fastened tight and then snip the access. When positioning your coil you want it a good 2mm above the outlets to give the air chance to spread out for complete coverage and the extra height will also help reduce the chamber encouraging flavour further!

Wicking is easy just don't over-pack the wicking channels with cotton. I cut my cotton bow tie length, fluffed up and then just placed in the top of the channels so when e-liquid is added gravity will lower the cotton to fill the channels but not densely so won't suffocate the flow of e-liquid allowing more efficient wicking!

With build completed the base section can be screwed back onto the main body of the RTA, unscrew the top-cap and fill!

The build: 28ga SS316L Round Wire, 2.5mmID, 0.9ohms

How It Vapes, And Thoughts!

I am loving this RTA and really only have a couple of quite petty cons which i will get out the way first. The fill ports are quite narrow so you do need to take your time when filling and the only other con is the fact no coils and cotton are included in the box. For a MTL tank it's quite thirsty and i find i am filling often but then that's my choice as there is the option of using the extension section but i just prefer the look in 2ml mode and quite happily fill more often to keep it in that mode especially as i am experiencing zero issues with flooding or leaking after filling which can be an issue with some atty's.

Other pros apart from the expected high quality machining and threading is the fact it can be extended to 5ml, the drip tip i really like and is a standard 510 fitting and most of all the tolerance of the airflow control ring allows it to be adjusted with ease while the RTA is on your device.

Steam Crave's large DL tanks have always surprised me by how quiet they are so it was no surprise that the Glaz Mini is silent, you could vape this in church! If you like a loose MTL draw or you even use a loose MTL tank to get a very restricted direct lung draw then forget this, it's one for the MTL connoisseurs. Fully open it gives a mid MTL draw but then can be adjusted to give a medium tight, tight or super tight draw depending on your preference.

The 4 way split airflow outlets really deliver as the airflow is silky smooth across the board and the flavour i have been experiencing is as good as anything i have vaped but then so many new RTA's are now delivering great flavour but this is right up there with the best!

İmage İmage

Excellent build quality (machining and threading spot on)
Aesthetically pleasing (subjective)
3 Colour options
5ml extension section included
Spare glass chamber and outer glass
Glass chamber
Authentic MTL RTA (super tight - mid MTL draws)
Silent
Airflow super smooth
AFC adjusts with ease when on the device
Easy build and wick
Have had zero leaking or flooding issues
Zero wicking issues (no dry hits even when testing chain vaping)
Standard 510 drip tip fitting
Excellent flavour

Cons

Narrow fill ports
No included coils and cotton
Thirsty for MTL tank (but tends to equal flavour)

I would once again like to thank Steam Crave for supplying the Glaz Mini MTL RTA for the purpose of this review, thanks for reading and stay safe!

http://www.steamcrave.com/glazminimtlrta-p00079p1.html

VU Sponsors