Become a Patron!

Steel Punk Slug mod

jte12345

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How can I tell if a steel punk slug is authentic or not? I'm wondering because today I purchased a slug mod, not knowing if authentic or not for $40 which isn't bad for either. But how can I tell if it's authentic? I'm kind of disappointed in getting it because the lock pin is missing but figure I can get one cheap somewhere

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jte12345

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
20847378a138459baa76eeb9cb4c3aba.jpg

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ask what kind of wood it's made out of, for that price bet on a clone

jte12345

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The guy has no idea. It wasn't from a shop or anything...it was just a friend who quit vaping...

manthe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How can I tell if a steel punk slug is authentic or not? I'm wondering because today I purchased a slug mod, not knowing if authentic or not for $40 which isn't bad for either. But how can I tell if it's authentic? I'm kind of disappointed in getting it because the lock pin is missing but figure I can get one cheap somewhere

The bottom, black plastic battery twist-on battery cover protrudes slightly - whereas on most clones, it is recessed. If you take the mod apart, the wood piece for the clone is split, whereas with the authentic (IIRC) is not. Also (probably very difficult to tell from pictures), the engravings on the authentic are deeper than those of the clones. One other thing I noticed is that the ridges on the firing pin are more 'rounded/comfortable ' on the authentic, whereas on the clone they were sharper and a little more 'annoying' - but then, if it is a used clone - something like that could wear over time so prob not a good way to tell. As someone else mentioned, the price is prob the biggest dead giveaway. I doubt you'd ever find even a used authentic Slug anywhere NEAR that low - but I'd you did, congrats! That would be huge steal!

jte12345

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been looking around and it said the engraving is a huge factor...if it's a deep engrave it's possibly an authentic

jte12345

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The engraving looks quite deep and the ridges are rounded. I'll try to get pics and post.

jte12345

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
0b73e384d4a86b971b1be6d86132f122.jpg

That's the slug engraving...looks quite deep compared to the clone ones I've seen. Just curious as to how different it is than the clones I've seen.

jte12345

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
d4c937eb5e62a63cebd0b20907dff462.jpg

and also another thing i noticed is the wood is considerably darker than the clones ive seen too.

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Press your nail into the wood. If it's Kamagong, you won't be able to leave a dent or impression. Kamagong, or Ironwood was used for ships propeller bearings in the past and now is used for chopping blocks. It's a hard, hard wood with a dense structure. If it's a stained softwood, you will be able to leave an indentation with your fingernail.

jte12345

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You may just have an authentic there then, if so , you got a good deal on it, Nice find:)
Still missing the lock screw though...oh well

Press your nail into the wood. If it's Kamagong, you won't be able to leave a dent or impression. Kamagong, or Ironwood was used for ships propeller bearings in the past and now is used for chopping blocks. It's a hard, hard wood with a dense structure. If it's a stained softwood, you will be able to leave an indentation with your fingernail.
I cant leave a dent or mark with my nail so must be some pretty tough wood. Have any other tests i can try out? This thing might be authentic, but still not sure. If it is authentic i may invest in the lock screw.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For $40, you either got a hell of a deal on an authentic, or paid a very reasonable amount for a 1:1 clone. Vape away...

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still missing the lock screw though...oh well

I cant leave a dent or mark with my nail so must be some pretty tough wood. Have any other tests i can try out? This thing might be authentic, but still not sure. If it is authentic i may invest in the lock screw.
I would, But I am a collector...LOL

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What does that number at the bottom mean?
Likely a manufacture's "run" number. They often do limited numbers of a piece. Say they might want to see how well it sells before doing a bigger run. It's ROI of material, effort, time, and so on. They might have done 1,000 piece run. Sometimes "limited" runs can/do increase the perceived and/or real value of a product. In essence it boils to, ... marketing.

VU Sponsors