Become a Patron!

Storing nicotine in glass bottles in the freezer?

Is it okay to store PG based nicotine in glass bottles in the freezer with out breaking?

• No, they will expand and break

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MrNiceVape

Member For 4 Years
I’ve stored some older flavorings in the freezer & they’re fine when I pull them out to use. Some I put in the fridge. I store my nic stash in the freezer like you plan too in ziploc bags, so far so good. I keep a small glass bottle in the fridge with the nic in use.

Bull City Flavors is VU‘s members go to for flavorings. https://www.chefsflavours.co.uk/ for flavors not accessible here. They also have great one shots. If you join Chefsflavours FB people post great recipes & people share their favs. I’m an avid @Nevans fan. He sells his one shots on Chefs & shares his recipes on eliquidrecipe.com his name there is “Nevans”.

There is a nicotine calculator to see how much nic you need for “x“ number of years based on how much you vape. i don’t have a link I think you can find it via goggle.

Some like to store their nic in the amber glass bottles & use argon gas to remove oxygen from the bottle. I don’t do that so perhaps others that do can give you more info.
Do you store your "in use" pg and vg in the fridge as well just room temp? Have you had any problem with condensation for the in use nicotine in the fridge?

I'm also curious if anyone is doing the argon method before putting nic in the freezer? Does that make much of a difference in preserving the freshness or nicotine content?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you're buying BULK, and I mean Gallons, it will be cost effective against buying a bunch of smaller bottles already sealed and removed of oxygen.

I am one who will buy 3x150ml bottles at $11 each vs a 500ml bottle at $33 (you get +50ml buying 500ml) This is the point of it being sort of a wash in terms of cost/time/quantity due to having to also buy separate bottles and time spent transferring.

I only vape 1.5mg/ml and a 150ml bottle is nearly a years worth.

So no doubt bulk is cheaper, but I've gone the smaller bottle route every time a Nic Supplier has done a large sale over the past few years.

MrNiceVape

Member For 4 Years
If you're buying BULK, and I mean Gallons, it will be cost effective against buying a bunch of smaller bottles already sealed and removed of oxygen.

I am one who will buy 3x150ml bottles at $11 each vs a 500ml bottle at $33 (you get +50ml buying 500ml) This is the point of it being sort of a wash in terms of cost/time/quantity due to having to also buy separate bottles and time spent transferring.

I only vape 1.5mg/ml and a 150ml bottle is nearly a years worth.

So no doubt bulk is cheaper, but I've gone the smaller bottle route every time a Nic Supplier has done a large sale over the past few years.
What are you planning in light of PACT, are you still planning to buy a bunch of the smaller, 1 year quantities, and keep them sealed until you open up a new one each year? Does your nic come in glass bottles already so you don't need to worry about transferring (vs. plastic) in the freezer for 5 or 10 years?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What are you planning in light of PACT, are you still planning to buy a bunch of the smaller, 1 year quantities, and keep them sealed until you open up a new one each year? Does your nic come in glass bottles already so you don't need to worry about transferring (vs. plastic) in the freezer for 5 or 10 years?

I actually have I think 12 or 13 150ml bottles now, so good for at least that many years.

And no they come in HDPE plastic bottles, sealed and removed of any oxygen.

I open one and use what I need for that mixing session and then back into the freezer.

I tend to use 7.5ml a batch +- 0.2ml (500ml finished product) and it takes me 25+ days to finish said 500ml

150/7.5ml = 20 (500ml bottles) or 20 x 25 days (500/365= 1.37years a bottle)

1.37 x 12 = 16.4 years at my current usage and concentration or just shy of 18 years if I actually have 13

I’ve been buying the past 5 years when they are on sale, ever since the first apocalypse happened on 8/8/16.

Sometimes it was 3 bottles when on sale a given year being a +2 bulk supply another year it may of been 4 and a plus 3...

For the pact deadline I did order 3 bottles 2 weeks ago

But at my rate of consumption I won’t open those til 2035

Sent from my iPhone 4(2+) using Tapatalk

MrNiceVape

Member For 4 Years
I actually have I think 12 or 13 150ml bottles now, so good for at least that many years.

And no they come in HDPE plastic bottles, sealed and removed of any oxygen.

I open one and use what I need for that mixing session and then back into the freezer.

I tend to use 7.5ml a batch +- 0.2ml (500ml finished product) and it takes me 25+ days to finish said 500ml

150/7.5ml = 20 (500ml bottles) or 20 x 25 days (500/365= 1.37years a bottle)

1.37 x 12 = 16.4 years at my current usage and concentration or just shy of 18 years if I actually have 13

I’ve been buying the past 5 years when they are on sale, ever since the first apocalypse happened on 8/8/16.

Sometimes it was 3 bottles when on sale a given year being a +2 bulk supply another year it may of been 4 and a plus 3...

For the pact deadline I did order 3 bottles 2 weeks ago

But at my rate of consumption I won’t open those til 2035

This is what I was wondering. If preserving longevity of nicotine was the priority and not solely cost, am I better off buying small quantities and leaving them alone until I need them? If I did that, I would probably stick with 500 ml quantities. If those 500ml bottles are plastic (likely), though, doesn't the risk of plastic contamination into play? Then which has more of an impact on longevity, the plastic or the little bit of oxygen that snuck in years earlier when I broke larger quantities down into amber glass bottles?

I'm sure nobody has been doing DIY juice or even vaping long enough prove which is better over a 10+ year period, and I'm sure I'm waaay overthinking this. I'm just trying to do it right the first time, since I won't likely have another shot.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is what I was wondering. If preserving longevity of nicotine was the priority and not solely cost, am I better off buying small quantities and leaving them alone until I need them? If I did that, I would probably stick with 500 ml quantities. If those 500ml bottles are plastic (likely), though, doesn't the risk of plastic contamination into play? Then which has more of an impact on longevity, the plastic or the little bit of oxygen that snuck in years earlier when I broke larger quantities down into amber glass bottles?

I'm sure nobody has been doing DIY juice or even vaping long enough prove which is better over a 10+ year period, and I'm sure I'm waaay overthinking this. I'm just trying to do it right the first time, since I won't likely have another shot.

All plastics will leach... at warming temperatures or under direct sunlight and just normal break down to elements over time.

Sort of the whole debacle with bottled water when on pallets sitting outside in the summer heat waiting to be moved inside or the overly cheap cases of water like at Home Depot ( sitting outside ) You ever drink a bottled water and instantly go yuck tastes like plastic

I use a stainless water bottle and filters from the sink

HDPE being in the freezer and no direct light pretty much will be safe long term storage solution.

Would glass be better? Sure

I more concerned with the amount of red meat I consume than the amount of leaching plastic micro particles from long term freezer storage of the bottles of Nic I have.

More concerned with air quality in San Diego too...

Anyway I think you get the drift

SUKMYVAPOR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On the safe side buy glass and that way no concern with leaching what so ever . I've always used glass since I read yrs ago never had a problem. .. only way I've ever stored my own opinion of course. Mix in 100ml glass also no leaching of flavors rinse and dry mix . But like I said my personal choice. This is another reason mixing and vaping was so sweet . We all chose our own way to do things off someone's else's advice and gave it our own spin vapes by SUK are awesome. Anyone wanting to order dial 1-900- Suk -This.. for a mouth watering juice.. had too bahaha

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you store your "in use" pg and vg in the fridge as well just room temp? Have you had any problem with condensation for the in use nicotine in the fridge?

I'm also curious if anyone is doing the argon method before putting nic in the freezer? Does that make much of a difference in preserving the freshness or nicotine content?
I store my in use pg & vg in a dark closet. I used to store my extra pg & vg in the extra freezer but it died lol! So I now store the closet as well.

No I haven’t had any issues with condensation for my in use nic in the fridge. I’ve been doing it for 5 years I think. No issues whatsoever.

The diehard DIY fans that use the argon method swear by it.

VU Sponsors