Become a Patron!

STRANGE MUSIC FANS?

vapelyfe90

Member For 4 Years
Where ya at? What other independent artist you like (hopsin,spm)?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm a fan of Jesus Lizard ... kinda. I'm really fond of "Do you Remember What You Came Here For?" from their album "Get off the Cross, We Need Wood for the Fire."

Full disclosure: I'm a musician and perform that song. Gawd, that's an old recording. I'm an old guy ... I said 'album' ....

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm a fan of Jesus Lizard ... kinda. I'm really fond of "Do you Remember What You Came Here For?" from their album "Get off the Cross, We Need Wood for the Fire."

Full disclosure: I'm a musician and perform that song. Gawd, that's an old recording. I'm an old guy ... I said 'album' ....
Go into a music record shop and ask for 45s. :)

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think I still have some of those inserts to make 'em fit on a turntable, whatever that is. :D

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Big fan of the Red Elvises. I really want one of those giant balalaikas.

Azrael Ibanez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know if this qualifies, but I absolutely worship The Legendary Pink Dots.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Azrael, does your user name have anything to do with the eponymous musical instruments?

Azrael Ibanez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A little. Azrael Ibanez was my name when I used to play Second Life. You could choose your own first name but had to pick the last name from what was available. I used to have an Ibanez guitar ages ago so I went with that.

Azrael Ibanez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh. I just realized you're talking about rap. Never heard anyone refer to basic rap music as "strange".

Azrael Ibanez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I play an Ibanez but rap? No, definitely no. To each his own but I've always considered rap to be music for people who can't sing.
And by the way, I love The Jesus Lizard. Mouthbreather ftw.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I play an Ibanez but rap? No, definitely no. To each his own but I've always considered rap to be music for people who can't sing.

Only because you never gave it a chance...

Ill agree that most mainstream rap is nothing more than talentless thugs but if you actually look around youde find quite a bit of talented artists including 90% of strange music's roster.
aswell as others that most people can't even keep up with.

With that said,I'm not a huge fan of rap and I'm actually extremely picky about the rap I listen to but I recognize talent when I see it.
I'll listen to any form or genre as long as they do it well.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Forgive me but as a musician, I have given rap "a chance" for 20 years to no avail whatsoever. I did get a chuckle out of being picky about what rap you listen to. I do a rap/country parody you might enjoy, beatbox and all. :D

@Azrael, you're the first person I've 'met' who actually knew who I was referring to.

Azrael Ibanez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My favorite description of David Yow's voice I've ever read was that he sounded like "...a kidnap victim trying to howl through the duct tape over his mouth”.

vapelyfe90

Member For 4 Years
Only because you never gave it a chance...

Ill agree that most mainstream rap is nothing more than talentless thugs but if you actually look around youde find quite a bit of talented artists including 90% of strange music's roster.
aswell as others that most people can't even keep up with.

With that said,I'm not a huge fan of rap and I'm actually extremely picky about the rap I listen to but I recognize talent when I see it.
I'll listen to any form or genre as long as they do it well.
You would like hopsin also. Mainstream is all a joke the past 10 years or more but independent music has been strong and real and good talent

Azrael Ibanez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There really isn't much rap I enjoy, but I will say this. Doomtree out of Minneapolis is the shit.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You would like hopsin also. Mainstream is all a joke the past 10 years or more but independent music has been strong and real and good talent

I'm a big fan of hopsin!
Ill mind 7 describes my religious views to a T but I excluded him from my earlier post because I didn't want to overload a post with too many vids.

Fwiw,"mainstream" is in the eye of the beholder.
Eminem and weezy are perfect examples.
Both are considered mainstream but em has crawled back into the underground while remaining mainstream. Wayne on the otherhand has done nothing but suck assholes to stay in the spotlight.
He's the epitome of "talentless thug" and the proof lies in every song that he rhymes a word with the same word.
I couldn't stand him when he came out with CMM and still cant.
Going back to hopsin,he's spot on when he calls out bullshit rappers.
Drake,kanye,weezy,etc...

Forgive me but as a musician, I have given rap "a chance" for 20 years to no avail whatsoever. I did get a chuckle out of being picky about what rap you listen to. I do a rap/country parody you might enjoy, beatbox and all. :D

@Azrael, you're the first person I've 'met' who actually knew who I was referring to.

Only 20 years?
Is this radio rap or underground?
Give me examples of your favorite bands and I bet I can come up with some rap that you'd like.;)

View attachment 31946

See, now when you said "strange" I immediately thought of these guys :D

-Kingboomer
I know for a fact that if you like gwar,I can show you some rap thar you'd enjoy.

vapelyfe90

Member For 4 Years
I'm a big fan of hopsin!
Ill mind 7 describes my religious views to a T but I excluded him from my earlier post because I didn't want to overload a post with too many vids.

Fwiw,"mainstream" is in the eye of the beholder.
Eminem and weezy are perfect examples.
Both are considered mainstream but em has crawled back into the underground while remaining mainstream. Wayne on the otherhand has done nothing but suck assholes to stay in the spotlight.
He's the epitome of "talentless thug" and the proof lies in every song that he rhymes a word with the same word.
I couldn't stand him when he came out with CMM and still cant.
Going back to hopsin,he's spot on when he calls out bullshit rappers.
Drake,kanye,weezy,etc...

Only 20 years?
Is this radio rap or underground?
Give me examples of your favorite bands and I bet I can come up with some rap that you'd like.;)

I know for a fact that if you like gwar,I can show you some rap thar you'd enjoy.
Nice someone who understands ha hopsin fly is still one my recent favorites with Ill mind 7

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"I know you really despise durian, but try this; you'll love it."

And I know your offer is sincere, bondo, and thank you but I'll pass. Yeah, I really find it that distasteful.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"I know you really despise durian, but try this; you'll love it."

And I know your offer is sincere, bondo, and thank you but I'll pass. Yeah, I really find it that distasteful.
No worries,like you said,"to each their own".
I grew up on 70's/80's punk,metal and rap but once the mid/late 90's hit I got fed up with bullshit rap and quit listening to it save for a few select rappers.
I didn't get back into it until early 2000 with tech9ne and a few other underground rappers. I still favor metal as my go to genre but I can honestly say that I'm all over the place when it comes to music.
One minute I'm listening to gogol bordello,the next I'm listening to Bach.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here is something...different :D

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No worries,like you said,"to each their own".
I grew up on 70's/80's punk,metal and rap but once the mid/late 90's hit I got fed up with bullshit rap and quit listening to it save for a few select rappers.
I didn't get back into it until early 2000 with tech9ne and a few other underground rappers. I still favor metal as my go to genre but I can honestly say that I'm all over the place when it comes to music.
One minute I'm listening to gogol bordello,the next I'm listening to Bach.

"Ah, Bach!" ~ Radar from M.A.S.H., 1969

Moby Grape, Zephyr, Uriah Heep. Told ya I was an old guy. But vital. And virile; did I mention virile? Oh, yeah,"Like a baby's arm with an apple in it's fist." ~ Lenny Bruce

Though wasted on rabble such as I, your guidance is nonetheless appreciated, brother bondo.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Back around the mid-eighties, there was a US senate hearing about the growing problem of suggestive and/or nastiness in music.

Uncle Frank testified. He also recorded the whole goddamn thing, took it back to the house (where he had a SynclavierII) and whupped this up.

It's good. Trust Me.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
One 'merkin dollar to the phuker that can get stranger than this:

Last edited:

VU Sponsors