Become a Patron!

Strawberry Cake

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Just been trying this the past few days. Forgot I made it. My stash is a serious dogs breakfast at times. Like my fishing gear and everything else. :giggle:
Anyway the recipe is on the label. All Flavour Art. I have come to find, for me, Nonna Cake takes well over a month to come good. Might add a bit of FA Cream, 1%, with the next version.
My mum used to make Vanilla cupcakes, slice off horizontally the top, cut that top in half, put some cream where it was, a cut strawberry in the cream then place the two cut bits each side of the strawberry in the cream. She called them butterfly strawberry cakes. Anyway thats my next mission to make one of those.
But as is this is a nice simple vape anyway.
20201222_134454.jpg
Speaking of Nonna cake, which I like, I ordered another 50 ml the other week. Big colour difference. Both smell the same. Guessing the darker one is older stock, the first I got, the lighter newer stock which I got recently. First time I've seen a colour difference though in any of my concentrates. Age and oxidisation probably.
20201222_123645(1).jpg

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That one is easy, except for the wait time if one only has a few bottles to work with.
A few years ago one was lucky to find Nonna Cake in stock, not so much now. Now that I have an interest in Bakery flavors I may give Nonna Cake a try.

Bam Bam

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nonna cake doesn’t agree with my palate.
There’s a anise flavor back note that lingers.
I am very sensitive to Cactus (Inawera) as well. Even in the smallest percentage. I find it to have a hand sanitizer taste in my mixes.

newyork13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Why not give the "fake ones" a try.
Sometimes they do work out almost as well.
And, if not, and you really want to make it as the OP made it, you can buy them later.
If a recipe sounds good to me, and if I have close approximations, then I'll mix it.
It's often worked out very well.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Why not give the "fake ones" a try
I may do that with the above recipe. I have been to ELR and AllTheFlavors looking at recipes until I get back up to speed on making my own from scratch.
Chances are high that I will not have the exact flavors or brands without going shopping and I am done flavor shopping for a while. My new favorite word is "substitute" when looking at posted recipes.

Looking at the above Strawberry Shortbread EZ recipe I have a few strawberries I could use. The shortbread cookie part is a challenge as I don't have anything like shortbread. I could use FA Cookie or INW Biscuit with some tweaks. I boo-booed on my last flavor order by not getting FA Almond or Walnut as I just saw this on a Reddit FA Cookie review "Dryer nuts can give you a bit of a shortbread thing which is cool". Dryer nuts are cashew nuts, pistachios, almonds, and walnuts.
Maybe FA Cookies with a tad more butter flavor would work, or put it aside until I am in the need of another flavor order.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Nonna cake doesn’t agree with my palate.
There’s a anise flavor back note that lingers.
I am very sensitive to Cactus (Inawera) as well. Even in the smallest percentage. I find it to have a hand sanitizer taste in my mixes.
Hi sorry missed a lot of replies of late. I dont get that anise at all. I do steep my bakery ones at least a month sometimes more so maybe it dissipates with time. Like Juicy strawberry has to me a green taste about it if I dont steep it, but after a month its just a nice ripe strawberry to me and that green taste has gone. Like FA Citrus mix, noticeable grapefruit within the 2 week period but it goes and is gone by a month. I may very well taste that too, anise, if I didnt steep it, i dont know.
I make my mixes then steep them without Nic. Only adding it a few days to a week before vaping. I tried adding and letting it be part of the steep process but I personally found it dulled down a lot of my taste preferences, Citrus is much fresher tasting with it added close to vape time than steeped with it. And Licorice too, I dont like my Licorice at all steeped with Nic for any length of time. So I guess how I mix and steep has a lot to do with what I can or cannot taste in things. There's no right or wrong mixing, steeping, adding nic, its all personal taste really. As long as it works and you like what you taste ?
I'll keep those real flavours in mind.

VU Sponsors