Become a Patron!

Struggling.

Quit smoking a month ago in favor of vaping, I've bought 3 different styles of devices, a cig like, an evod style pen and a TOGO mini by kangertech. The ciglike was kinda crappy, so I got the evod, the evod wasnt as satisfying as I would have liked so I got the TOGO but the TOGO leaves my mouth and throat so dry and irritated (mostly the uvula, even cigarettes werent that harsh on it) even after hydrating and having hard candies and other solutions I was given it still ends up being a problem. The problem is definitely not the coils, believe me that rabbithole has been explored to no end. I went back to the EVOD and the problem went away. Now I'm stuck with the EVOD as my only option but the coils are really hit or miss. I tend to burn out one every 3-4 days, or about 10 hours of use total. I guess I should ask a question after this wall of text

A). did anyone have any problems with the TOGO mini or other Kangertech products being extremely irritating? B). if the problem is tied to the power/vapor production of the device is the issue, is there a rebuildable option for EVODs or a setup on a regular device/tank that will let me rebuild but get the same, admittedly subpar performance for the sake of my throat? C). Should I just sack up and hope the problem goes away? I really don't want to go back to cigarettes.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The problem lies in the Evod and the TOGO are completely seperate animals in as far as power output ("Wattage"), higher watts = more liquid vaporized quicker, more liquid = higher nicotine exposure. The Evods I remember using, maxed out at about 8 to 10 watts depending on the coils, now you take a device like the TOGO's CLOCC coils are 0.5ohms, not the 1.5 or higher of the Evod, 1.5/0.5=3, so 3times as powerful, 8watts X 3 = 24watts. That type of power you move into not the Mouth To Lung (MTL) vaping style of a regular cigarette, but Direct To Lung inhale (D2L or DTL), basically same style of taking a rip from a water bong, to keep the coils and vapor cool enough to bare. Now also Nicotine strength comes into play, example if you are using 12mg juice, 12 X 3 = 36mg exposure equivalence in one hit compared to the Evod 12mg X 1 = 12mg, also with DTL style vaping, higher VG content helps smooth out the throat hit, so a 70PG/30VG up to 40PG/60VG those PG concentrations make things harsher as well.

If still using the same liquid and Nicotine strength you used in the Evod, yes you are going to have throat irritation, you'll need probably half the nicotine strength you normally vape with and a higher VG liquid, and learn to use a DTL vaping style.

It's a hit and miss early on until you find all proper variables to make vaping very enjoyable, device, atomizer, liquids, nicotine strength, the list is long, and can be expensive until that right combination is found. Don't quit vaping, having given it really its best chance, you are in that critical 1 to 6 month slump a lot of us ex-smokers get into, so don't give up, even myself after 4 1/2 years of vaping exclusively, have times even I still struggle, and cigarettes were my hardest addiction to quit, I had many believe me. Take it one day and one vape at a time, have questions, don't hesitate to ask, we have all been where you are at, and more than willing to give you that pull up or nudge asside to urge you on ;). But as it stands right now, sounding like to high a Nic and PG levels on a higher wattage device, so lower your nic strength and up you VG content in the liquid to at least a 30PG/70VG or thicker ratio.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The problem lies in the Evod and the TOGO are completely seperate animals in as far as power output ("Wattage"), higher watts = more liquid vaporized quicker, more liquid = higher nicotine exposure. The Evods I remember using, maxed out at about 8 to 10 watts depending on the coils, now you take a device like the TOGO's CLOCC coils are 0.5ohms, not the 1.5 or higher of the Evod, 1.5/0.5=3, so 3times as powerful, 8watts X 3 = 24watts. That type of power you move into not the Mouth To Lung (MTL) vaping style of a regular cigarette, but Direct To Lung inhale (D2L or DTL), basically same style of taking a rip from a water bong, to keep the coils and vapor cool enough to bare. Now also Nicotine strength comes into play, example if you are using 12mg juice, 12 X 3 = 36mg exposure equivalence in one hit compared to the Evod 12mg X 1 = 12mg, also with DTL style vaping, higher VG content helps smooth out the throat hit, so a 70PG/30VG up to 40PG/60VG those PG concentrations make things harsher as well.

If still using the same liquid and Nicotine strength you used in the Evod, yes you are going to have throat irritation, you'll need probably half the nicotine strength you normally vape with and a higher VG liquid, and learn to use a DTL vaping style.

It's a hit and miss early on until you find all proper variables to make vaping very enjoyable, device, atomizer, liquids, nicotine strength, the list is long, and can be expensive until that right combination is found. Don't quit vaping, having given it really its best chance, you are in that critical 1 to 6 month slump a lot of us ex-smokers get into, so don't give up, even myself after 4 1/2 years of vaping exclusively, have times even I still struggle, and cigarettes were my hardest addiction to quit, I had many believe me. Take it one day and one vape at a time, have questions, don't hesitate to ask, we have all been where you are at, and more than willing to give you that pull up or nudge asside to urge you on ;). But as it stands right now, sounding like to high a Nic and PG levels on a higher wattage device, so lower your nic strength and up you VG content in the liquid to at least a 30PG/70VG or thicker ratio.

Agree. Rule of thumb.. the more vapor being produced, the lower mg of nicotine is needed. Kind of like chugging a beer vs sipping it.. you get drunk hella fast chugging.
I have cut down to 3mg for everything. but I no longer use pen or cigalike style vapes. RDA / RTAs now. Also, PG is more of an irritant than VG so perhaps higher VG to PG ratio will help.
As for dry feeling.. drink more water. It is the nature of the beast. The plus side is the extra water helps flush out all the crap in your system after 20 years (in my case) of smoking. And expect to cough up some nasties. Again, just your body getting rid of crap it doesn't like.
Its kind of like those ducklings in the oil slicks adverts for dish soap... it takes a lot of washing, but it all comes off in the long run.
The only other real problem with vaping is sore ribs. From my wifes elbow just before she tells me to "piss off and go to sleep" in the middle of the night.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Agree with the 70/30 VG to pg ratio will be smoother for you

Also don't go higher than 6mg nic

You could try sub ohm coil denser clouds prolly want 3mg nic if using sub ohm although you'll want a mod that can support higher wattages

Try a different tank some just aren't up to par

The sore throats happens to us all at first it's because vaping doesn't contain all the crap that cigs do ...try different e liquids too until you make your own

JackB

Member For 3 Years
I have 2 cupti's which are the TOGO's big brother. I'm using 1.5 ohm coils at 10 -12 watts. 50/50 mix @ 12mg nic. Took a lot of trial and error but that seems to be my spot. I thinks it's pretty close to the evod experience, which I have several.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Just keep in mind that you are just not going to find your perfect vape happy right at the starting mark of your journey.

I have been at this for YEARS and I am still tweaking my gear and finding better things.

You most valuable tool in your search for Vaping Nirvana is right here doing what you are doing right now.

Asking questions and learning.

I know, I still do!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Just keep in mind that you are just not going to find your perfect vape happy right at the starting mark of your journey.

I have been at this for YEARS and I am still tweaking my gear and finding better things.

You most valuable tool in your search for Vaping Nirvana is right here doing what you are doing right now.

Asking questions and learning.

I know, I still do!

Great advice and mirrors my experience also ^^^^^

DIYjim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Quit smoking a month ago in favor of vaping,
I really don't want to go back to cigarettes.
Hang in there! It took me two years of vaping to find my Vaping Nirvana, which happens to be mechanical bottom feeders with DIY e-liquid.

Keep on trying different things. Whatever it takes to NOT smoke cigarettes. EVER. :)

VU Sponsors