Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Thinking of getting a Subtank Mini to check it out.

And if it is as great as everyone says it is, my master plan would be to pick up extra RBA heads and establish a rotation of sorts by having one head installed with a spare always ready to swap out when needed, service it and have it ready for the next time.

That being said, how easy or difficult is it to rebuild the Subtank RBA heads?

I am used to the Kayfun series if those could be used as a comparison point.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's pretty similar.. I haven't rebuilt the mini yet, but the regular subtank is a breeze to build on - the deck and wicking technique is almost exactly like the KF - might take a little fiddling at first, but I think I nailed it after the 2nd try.. and i don't consider myself bob the builder either :)

I think you will be very happy with your purchase

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's similar to the Kayfun. I built it once and set it aside after that. The stock heads are better imo.
TT

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's similar to the Kayfun. I built it once and set it aside after that. The stock heads are better imo.
TT

I feel like the stock heads seem to last longer than the heads you buy in the replacement packs.. not sure if anyone else has noticed this .. but the first stock coil lasted forever (9 full tanks before I finally decided to swap it), and when I replace it with one from the 5pack i got - it didnt last half as long.. This used to happen to me with older kanger wicks too.. stock was always better than the replacements..

I know this shouldn't be the case either considering they are all made in the same place.. so it could just be all in my head

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Aside from better taste, the main reason I got into RBAs was to get away from constantly having to purchase replacement heads.

Which would result in savings which would result in new vape toys.

Does anyone have a link to a really good yet really short video on rebuilding these things?

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Huh. Mine was the opposite. 2 tanks on the stock head and 6 on the first replacement. Different juice though so that would be part of it.
TT

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The RBA is extremely easy to rebuild - you'll love it! No need for spares, though ,since you'll also have to wash out the tank when you change flavors. Spare subtanks are more useful though LOL

You'll pretty much build it like the Kayfun, but with thicker wire to get to 0.5 (if that's what you want it at). The only difference is that you don't wick Kayfun style - the wicks need to be much shorter and pushed away from the channels.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone have a link for buying replacement rba sections for the mini? My googling is sucking today.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The RBA is extremely easy to rebuild - you'll love it! No need for spares, though ,since you'll also have to wash out the tank when you change flavors. Spare subtanks are more useful though LOL

I do see your point. But I will hold of purchasing another subtank until I decide I like the first one.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
sweet vapes has them! Why do you need a replacement?
Cool. Thanks. My mini hasn't arrived yet so I don't need one. I've obviously seen pre built heads for sale as well as replacement glass, and different colored o rings. I hadn't seen rba heads and just wanted to see if they were available. Trying to see what replacement parts and accessories are available and where to find them. Can't wait to try this thing.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool. Thanks. My mini hasn't arrived yet so I don't need one. I've obviously seen pre built heads for sale as well as replacement glass, and different colored o rings. I hadn't seen rba heads and just wanted to see if they were available. Trying to see what replacement parts and accessories are available and where to find them. Can't wait to try this thing.

Be warned, I did have to file out my channels a tad - I got nothing but dry hits until I did this. But a bead reamer did the trick! Some other people have had this problem, others have not.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't seem to get the RBA section on the Mini to not dry hit so I don't know if I would recommend buying one soley for the purpose of having it as an RBA. I've tried everywhere from 10-30 watts at .5 ohms and same thing. Tried micro coils, evenly spaced coils, 2 mm diameter, 2.5mm diameter, keeping the cotton away from the juice channel, tried less cotton, more cotton, 2 different types of cotton and same result. I think if a person were to file out the channels a bit it might work better, but then you may run the risk of flooding or gurgling who knows.

I fought with that fucker for probably 4-5 hours last night, determined to make it work, but all I accomplished was wasting a decent amout of juice and got a sore throat out of the deal. And this is after probably 3 or 4 other nights of attempts with no luck.

I do however like the OCC coils that it comes with, which is weird to say because I never thought I would go back to replaceable heads like that. But those are damn easy to rebuild and I have yet to experience a dry hit off of the one I have completely rebuilt so far.

So to answer your original question, yes the RBA section is easy to build on. But wicking is a totally different story, at least in my experience.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't seem to get the RBA section on the Mini to not dry hit so I don't know if I would recommend buying one soley for the purpose of having it as an RBA. I've tried everywhere from 10-30 watts at .5 ohms and same thing. Tried micro coils, evenly spaced coils, 2 mm diameter, 2.5mm diameter, keeping the cotton away from the juice channel, tried less cotton, more cotton, 2 different types of cotton and same result. I think if a person were to file out the channels a bit it might work better, but then you may run the risk of flooding or gurgling who knows.

I fought with that fucker for probably 4-5 hours last night, determined to make it work, but all I accomplished was wasting a decent amout of juice and got a sore throat out of the deal. And this is after probably 3 or 4 other nights of attempts with no luck.

I do however like the OCC coils that it comes with, which is weird to say because I never thought I would go back to replaceable heads like that. But those are damn easy to rebuild and I have yet to experience a dry hit off of the one I have completely rebuilt so far.

So to answer your original question, yes the RBA section is easy to build on. But wicking is a totally different story, at least in my experience.

The channels in some of them are slightly too small. Take something like a bead reamer (or a dremel if you're brave), and gently ream out the channels a bit. It makes all the difference in the world. I had nothing but dry hits from the RBA until I did this! (And I tried wicking every way I could think of before I did this).

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I must have been typing my novel as you were posting. Glad to hear that filing them out makes all the difference. I may have a go at it this weekend or something. As of right now I'm so frustrated with it that I don't even want to look at the dang thing lol.:mad::mad:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I was checking it out on the webz I noticed the difference between the two 3mm holes in the sides of the pre built heads and the two tiny holes in the bottom of the rba head. I wondered if the rba would have wicking issues. Really glad to hear opening them up a little is working. Thanks for all the good info Amanda.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I was checking it out on the webz I noticed the difference between the two 3mm holes in the sides of the pre built heads and the two tiny holes in the bottom of the rba head. I wondered if the rba would have wicking issues. Really glad to hear opening them up a little is working. Thanks for all the good info Amanda.

Now i'm a little worried rebuilding the mini - I haven't had a single issue rebuilding the regular sized subtank rba head.. again - I feel like the mini version might have slightly been rushed.. just my feeling after comparing the two

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I heard the original was rushed. It requires two different top cap and chimney combos and the rba mode has substantially reduced airflow compared to factory coil head mode. Neither apply to the mini. I'm guessing the rba channels are fine for thinner juice, but need enlarging for thicker stuff. Unless they were to make different variations of the rba head, having them slightly small is ok. You can easily make them bigger, but if they came too big it would difficult to make them smaller. Like most of this stuff it might not be exactly perfect for everyone, but from what I can tell the rba wicking seems to be the only issue I am expecting to possibly have. It also seems there is a simple solution to that. For $35 shipped I took a chance on it working out. I'll see in a couple days I guess. Just some of my rambling thoughts.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My juice is 80pg, so it's not about the juice. I think that tiny differences in the manufacturig process of the channels make a huge difference! I still get dry hits even though I've reamed them out a bit, but obviously I need to do it a bit more. I've just ordered a second mini, so I'm hoping that RBA will work better out of the box!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, I actually do have a Dremel if I decide to take the plunge.

Most likely I will.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I did get out my dremel - but the bead reamer looked safer for my fingers LOL

Well, I will bite.

What on earth is a "Bead Reamer"?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just got the subtank mini today (already have the 25mm subtank), I went with the RBA head straight away,plan is to only use the stock coils on the 25mm subtank for work, but like the no leaking issues I've had with the subtank, so got the mini for at home with the RBA head. I didn't rebuild the RBA head, saw no need as got a good coil on it already, I did wick it with very short tails only just touching the deck, and made sure cotton was away from the juice channels, only been using for a hour, but no wicking issues so far with 50/50 juice, and been chain vaping, as do with anything new :D

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
RJ, if you are an experienced kayfun builder you will have no problems. It is pretty much the same thing. One issue I was having was a bit of hot juice spitting back, but I have been building my coils upside down, and that seems to take care of the problem. I also have found that you should go easy on the amount of wick. The more wick I have the more likely I'm going to have dry hits.

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Suck my mod just did a build video...his build is terrible, but it will give you a good look at the deck. I feel that his mistake here is wrapping the lead all the way around the screw. You don't have to do that at all. Just run it along one side of the screw and the deck helps capture the wire when you tighten things up. I also don't use micro coils in the subtank. I find that a straight 5 wraps (spaced) of 24 gives me right around 7 ohms, and has superior airflow in my opinion. And like a mentioned before, turning your coil upside down is a good idea if you get spit backs.

VU Sponsors