Become a Patron!

Subzero Shorty

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I got a new tube, my favorite Tube Mod has been the Oros V2 but I think I found one to compete with it. It's the Subzero Competition Shorty by Subohm Innovations. Now a lot of press has been given to the Broadside with it's unique button design but I'm pretty sure Subohm Innovations came out with it before the Broadside. The unique features are the way the connection is made with the button. There really isn't any misfires with it and the connection is the best I've seen. No matter where I press it always fires, very nice. That and with the cap of the button being Delrin no hot button what so ever.

The Mod is also designed for the battery to be positive down so "if" you have a battery vent it's right out the vent holes and away from your face. Nice, very nice safety feature.

The 510 adjustment for battery rattle is reverse threaded, about damn time. I honestly don't know why more or even why all are not reverse threaded, it's basic common sense. This also applies to 510 pins in tanks and RDA's, why the hell aren't they all reverse threaded? The only addy I have that the pin is reverse threaded is my Vgod Trick Tank Pro. But I digress, that's for another rant.

Anyway I've been vaping on this tube since yesterday and I really have been enjoying it. Here's my take so far -

1. Excellent Machining and build quality
2. Wonderful design
4. Looks sexy
5. She hits very well, excellent performance
6. Best of all, US design and manufactured

Yes I recommend it and I'm very happy I decided to get it. Not cheap but not excessively priced either.$150, for the build quality and performance it's worth the price.

subzero_zpstmrjvddj.jpg

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll see, how it works. I'm still waiting on mine to arrive.

Lord stan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As far as im concerned it is the best tube mod on the market. Hits very hard with the right build and absolutely has no arching or hot button. Mine performs best with sony vtc4. I have some 25r but they only hit half as good as the sonys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
As far as im concerned it is the best tube mod on the market. Hits very hard with the right build and absolutely has no arching or hot button. Mine performs best with sony vtc4. I have some 25r but they only hit half as good as the sonys

It might be time to replace those 25R. With age, the internal resistance increases, which might be the reason your 25R aren't performing as well.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got a pair of 30x2/36 SS Fused Claptons in her which ohms out to 0.2. With a Sony VTC5a she hits very, very well. I'm enjoying this tube a lot, if after a few days nothing changes I'm going to pick up a 2nd for my FDA Apocalypse stash.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a black one that I got in a trade, but haven't used it much. It's black, and my black Goon looks pretty good on it. I think I'll throw a fused Clapton in it and give it a shot. Thanks, r055co!

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Heck, I'll even try the same build as you. :D

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Actually, I'll even try the same atty.
We can be "Vape Bruhs"...

Just kidding. But I like the look, so I'll try the 2 together. Plus, I haven't tried the X2 yet.

2016-11-13 17.02.10.jpg

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@r055co What ID, and number of wraps did you use?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually, I'll even try the same atty.
We can be "Vape Bruhs"...

Just kidding. But I like the look, so I'll try the 2 together. Plus, I haven't tried the X2 yet.

View attachment 66416
What I love about the X1 and most of Vaperz Clouds gear is the Copper positive posts, with SS it's a very, very responsive combination ;)

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
30x2/36 317L SS @ 5 wraps around a 2.5mm jig
Cool, thanks. I only have 316L, though. It'll be close enough. 5/6 wraps should pull about 18 amps.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool, thanks. I only have 316L, though. It'll be close enough. 5/6 wraps should pull about 18 amps.
Yeah should be damn close. I use 317L due to it having slightly higher resistance, not much but it matters. At times one less wrap required when fitting the coils ;)

Lord stan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It might be time to replace those 25R. With age, the internal resistance increases, which might be the reason your 25R aren't performing as well.
Thats also what i thought. I had purchased a brand new 25r and it did no better than the older pair. For me its sony all the way

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is a nice, tight build r055co and it gives a very good vape. I'm using a 25R and it's vaping like a dream.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats also what i thought. I had purchased a brand new 25r and it did no better than the older pair. For me its sony all the way

IMR Batteries have the Sony VTC5a's in stock. I love the performance, 25 amps and 2600 MaH, excellent balance all around

Lord stan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah 30x2/36 around a 2.5 jig has really become a mainstay for me. I love how responsive it is without being to rowdy.
My build is a fused clapton 25ga n90 for the cores and 36ga n80 for the wrap. Then i flatten it. Using the sony vtc4 and its very roudy and instant. 3mm id

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My build is a fused clapton 25ga n90 for the cores and 36ga n80 for the wrap. Then i flatten it. Using the sony vtc4 and its very roudy and instant. 3mm id

Tried Nichrome, IMO it's just a more responsive Kanthal and I get the metallic taste like I get with Kanthal. I'm a big fan of SS, cleaner, crisper taste and a lot more responsive.

Lord stan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tried Nichrome, IMO it's just a more responsive Kanthal and I get the metallic taste like I get with Kanthal. I'm a big fan of SS, cleaner, crisper taste and a lot more responsive.
I havent tried the ss yet. I have a roll of 28ga but keep hearing that the ss gunks up faster. I also dont know what the resistance is for ss so wouldnt know what to build

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I havent tried the ss yet. I have a roll of 28ga but keep hearing that the ss gunks up faster. I also dont know what the resistance is for ss so wouldnt know what to build

Depends a lot on where you source the wire. Best wire I've found is Kidney Puncher for 316L and I get my 317L from Crazy Wire. I've heard good things from VU's own Advanced Vape Supply, I haven't tried them due to they don't carry 317L and I'm already very well stocked with 316L.

Contrary to the general consensus wire isn't wire, there are significant differences.

Oh and a shout out to @raymo2u for turning me on to Kidney Puncher.

Lord stan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Depends a lot on where you source the wire. Best wire I've found is Kidney Puncher for 316L and I get my 317L from Crazy Wire. I've heard good things from VU's own Advanced Vape Supply, I haven't tried them due to they don't carry 317L and I'm already very well stocked with 316L.

Contrary to the general consensus wire isn't wire, there are significant differences.

Oh and a shout out to @raymo2u for turning me on to Kidney Puncher.
Thank you for the info. Ill be sure to try

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for the info. Ill be sure to try

I've had good luck with Atomizer Wick wire, was curious about where they sourced their wire so I contacted them today and this was their reply -

Our wire is smelted in Sweden and drawn here is the US. We source raw material from Sandvik.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions, and thank you for your interest in our products.

So this is another excellent source of wire, they have a decent selection of 317L so I'm going to be getting my SS here from now on.

RonMack

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've got a pair of 30x2/36 SS Fused Claptons in her which ohms out to 0.2. With a Sony VTC5a she hits very, very well. I'm enjoying this tube a lot, if after a few days nothing changes I'm going to pick up a 2nd for my FDA Apocalypse stash.
LOL I did the same I have a shorty and a legendary

VU Sponsors