Become a Patron!

SuperMax Upgrades

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
This thread is for listing the upgrades that will be added to the SuperMax. These upgrades will be implemented in the next shipment, i.e. no more units will go out that don't have them. In addition, anyone who already has a SuperMax is encouraged to send it back to me at their convenience and I will upgrade the unit and send it back for free.

One note, if you do send a unit back, please do NOT send it UPS, as they charge for customs clearance which is around $29. USPS is fine, FedEx (or any other courier for that matter) is okay, too. Just not UPS, please.

The first upgrade that I am implementing (and has been tested) is to increase the output power from 70W to 80W. This requires a couple of minor component changes to the regulator circuit. There is also an upgrade to the power measuring/readout in software, so that now the power goes from 5.0 Watts to 10 Watts in 0.5 W steps and from 10W to 80W in 1W steps.

The power calibration of the unit is also more accurate.

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Better Ohmmeter!

The accuracy has improved and the range had been changed. From 2.7 to 0.4 ohms, the accuracy is now +/- 0.05 ohms, and from 0.4 ohms to 0.2 ohms the accuracy is +/- 0.02 ohms. It used to read up to 3.0 ohms, but I figured not too many people will be putting 3.0 ohm atties in the SuperMax.

The idea is to give the SuperMax an ohmmeter which is close to the accuracy of a stand-alone ohmmeter. Just another additional piece of equipment you don't need to buy!

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Better User Interface!

Having a one-button interface makes sense from a durability point of view, since the button is one of the biggest points of failure in a mod, so using a (single) really durable button makes sense. The one-button command system of the SuperMax has required a steep learning curve for some, so we've been working on making it more intuitive.

Now, to enter a command, you enter taps as before, but as you enter the taps the display will show you what command you are on (so no more counting taps!). For instance, tap the unit once and on the next button push the display shows "u" for up (increase) setting. Tap again and it shows "d" (for increase), again and it shows "b" for battery. Keep the button held down when the display shows the command you want and it will execute that command. No need to remember what order the commands are, just go by what's shown in the screen.

The commands are displayed as follows:

"u" increase setting
"d" decrease setting
"b" show battery level
"r" show atomizer resistance
"l" lock/unlock
"c" change setting (i.e. VV to VW or vice versa)
"o" audio on/off

Any more taps than that and the display shows a blank and the unit does nothing.

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Just blew up a 30W 0.3 heat sinked resistor by passing 90+W through it.

Looks like some of the upgrades on the SuperMax are working a little better than I thought!

Just to confirm, put 5.4V through a 0.3 ohm resistor (97W). Popped it in about 2 seconds.

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Final tested and spec'ed maximum output power: 82 Watts!

This maximum will be tested and verified on every unit into a 0.33 ohm load.

VU Sponsors