https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Good call on the wicking issue. Just for shits and giggles, I'd went with a slightly different build than my "go-to", and it worked fine for about 3 days...then flood, leak, dry hit, dry hit, rinse and repeat. Went back to my "go-to" build right before noon today, and made sure to go outside for extended periods and haven't had a problem yet. If it starts pissin juice into my pocket again, I'll let you know, but I don't think it will.
dealing with the huge tem swings here, - as you well know. lol
I found it best to ignore all the "wicking" tutorial crap for everything, and ive stuck with making the wick thick around the coil and thinning it out as it comes down --with everything.
kind of like the erlkoenigin (which I know you didn't like lol)
not so much like that as a model but that general idea if you know what I mean.
I think it keeps juice from flodding the airflow but it still lets it flow free into the wick.

its the only way I was able to get the kf4 to wick max vg without dry hitting or bogging down in tc.
the kf5 I do similar but keep the tails a lttle thicker because of the bigger juice ports and freedom with it the juice flow.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
dealing with the huge tem swings here, - as you well know. lol
I found it best to ignore all the "wicking" tutorial crap for everything, and ive stuck with making the wick thick around the coil and thinning it out as it comes down --with everything.
kind of like the erlkoenigin (which I know you didn't like lol)
not so much like that as a model but that general idea if you know what I mean.
I think it keeps juice from flodding the airflow but it still lets it flow free into the wick.

its the only way I was able to get the kf4 to wick max vg without dry hitting or bogging down in tc.
the kf5 I do similar but keep the tails a lttle thicker because of the bigger juice ports and freedom with it the juice flow.

That's funny that you mentioned my old nemesis Erl...I was trying to implement some of that sort of thing (just for something to do), and once again promptly face planted. Lesson learned :D

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's funny that you mentioned my old nemesis Erl...I was trying to implement some of that sort of thing (just for something to do), and once again promptly face planted. Lesson learned :D
hahahah and I still use mine.

SteamBlower

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would rather herpes over having to use KF4 daily. Herpes gets better over time with meds.
There are no meds for herpes, and it stays with you for life. But, whatever's right for you....

Sent from my Q8H_HD using Tapatalk

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There are no meds for herpes, and it stays with you for life. But, whatever's right for you....

Sent from my Q8H_HD using Tapatalk
I think i'd still rather have that over being stuck with a KF4 as my daily tank.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For shits and squiggles I tried them all in stock form
or me, the kfl is still a good mtl vape, the 4 a little more my speed for mtl though. The 5 is hands down the best tank I have used out of anything. I am firmly done looking for the number 1 tank, it even beat my hurricane.
9D43A5E6-17C9-4D81-8725-D2ECC8267BFD_zpsc046m6mp.jpg

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For shits and squiggles I tried them all in stock form
or me, the kfl is still a good mtl vape, the 4 a little more my speed for mtl though. The 5 is hands down the best tank I have used out of anything. I am firmly done looking for the number 1 tank, it even beat my hurricane.
9D43A5E6-17C9-4D81-8725-D2ECC8267BFD_zpsc046m6mp.jpg

My only real bitch about it at this point is capacity, but that's not proving too horrible using the steel tank. I generally vape 4-6ml's a day, and I can get about 5-1/2 in the steel tank. If Svoëmesto would come up with a long Mode for K5, I'd be set!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My only real bitch about it at this point is capacity, but that's not proving too horrible using the steel tank. I generally vape 4-6ml's a day, and I can get about 5-1/2 in the steel tank. If Svoëmesto would come up with a long Mode for K5, I'd be set!
capacity isn't an issue for me, I would rather refill than have a bulky thingy.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
capacity isn't an issue for me, I would rather refill than have a bulky thingy.

I've been handling large bulky thingies all my life, so it's really no problem at all for me...sorry dude, I couldn't resist! Ha! :D

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been handling large bulky thingies all my life, so it's really no problem at all for me...sorry dude, I couldn't resist! Ha! :D

bragger

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@f1r3b1rd, how goes the K5? Had any temperature induced leakage yet? Mine did it again today (3rd time now). Starting to ruffle me feathers a bit...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@f1r3b1rd, how goes the K5? Had any temperature induced leakage yet? Mine did it again today (3rd time now). Starting to ruffle me feathers a bit...
none.. but I've trained myself with the going from 70 degrees inside to 95degrees outside
I always take the tank off and let them both come to temp and put it back on again.
- got used to that when the 40 had just came out and never stopped

but my tank has not leaked at all yet

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
none.. but I've trained myself with the going from 70 degrees inside to 95degrees outside
I always take the tank off and let them both come to temp and put it back on again.
- got used to that when the 40 had just came out and never stopped

but my tank has not leaked at all yet

I've posted this elsewhere, but I want to make sure it's here as well...might help someone...

I "think" I've figured out what's happening...as expected, user error.
With the KF4, I could get away with squeaking in a few extra fractions of a ml of liquid, without having any problems. I don't find that to be the case with K5.
I've noticed that the upper ledge of the tank (that's tapered in like a bowl) as well as the adjacent surface of the top cap, are always wet with liquid when I open the tank. I think that by slightly over filling, I'm causing excess pressure inside the tank. This pressure keeps the cap from seating properly, and allows outside air in, once the liquid level drops and the tanks pressure equalizes from normal use.
This is all still just my working theory, but it seems solid at this point. I'm going to not overfill at all, and see if that makes a difference.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They made it a little less what it's supposed to be and a little more what almost everyone wants.
Now Busardo is pissed, since unless he gets the feel of sucking a golf ball through a garden hose he's not happy, GJ Sveo :D

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've posted this elsewhere, but I want to make sure it's here as well...might help someone...

With the KF4, I could get away with squeaking in a few extra fractions of a ml of liquid, without having any problems. I don't find that to be the case with K5.
I've noticed that the upper ledge of the tank (that's tapered in like a bowl) as well as the adjacent surface of the top cap, are always wet with liquid when I open the tank. I think that by slightly over filling, I'm causing excess pressure inside the tank. This pressure keeps the cap from seating properly, and allows outside air in, once the liquid level drops and the tanks pressure equalizes from normal use.
This is all still just my working theory, but it seems solid at this point. I'm going to not overfill at all, and see if that makes a difference.
nooooo dude, my bad. You do really have to practice the 90% fill rule thingy. I fill mine just below grate at the top.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
nooooo dude, my bad. You do really have to practice the 90% fill rule thingy. I fill mine just below grate at the top.

Great. More fucking rules for vaping. Just what I needed ;)

I've read countless places about countless devices and this "don't fill it all the way" stuff, and it's just counter-intuitive to me. I understand the physics, I just don't like it. Lol!
Yes, I always fill my gas tank allllll the way up as well. That automatic pump shut off...that just means it's time to pay closer attention. I can get another 1/2 gallon in there, easy! :D

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I've read countless places about countless devices and this "don't fill it all the way" stuff, and it's just counter-intuitive to me. I understand the physics, I just don't like it. Lol!
Yes, I always fill my gas tank allllll the way up as well. That automatic pump shut off...that just means it's time to pay closer attention. I can get another 1/2 gallon in there, easy! :D
hhahaah - whats another rule?

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They made it a little less what it's supposed to be and a little more what almost everyone wants.
Now Busardo is pissed, since unless he gets the feel of sucking a golf ball through a garden hose he's not happy, GJ Sveo :D

Believe it or not, there are a lot of MTL vapers out there (I'm one of them), and the gold standard for that method of vaping has been Kayfun for a long time. I happen to disagree with PB about the air flow on K5, but he's entitled to his opinion.
If you enjoy a wide open, airy, lung inhale and that works for you, that's great. Enjoy it. Just remember, that not everyone does, and that's ok as well.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Until you have to pay for an evap system repair.
Newer vehicles that throw codes for a loose gas cap have a fume evaporation tank, and over filling puts gas in there, causing it to fail.:fyi:

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Until you have to pay for an evap system repair.
Newer vehicles that throw codes for a loose gas cap have a fume evaporation tank, and over filling puts gas in there, causing it to fail.:fyi:

As my grandad used to say "Shit fire and save your matches"...I had no idea about that either! I don't like it, but now that I know about it, I'll stop topping the gas off as well. Thanks for that nugget!

AdubbaU

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am looking forward to the v5, I am attempting to slash the vape budget so will be waiting on us available solid clone. I liked the v4 for a long time then progressed into Supreme, Boreas and handful of juice hungry awesome tanks. Went back to Bellus the other day, juice consumption down drastically and working great. Sucking down 30-60ml per day 0nic just makes no sense. No matter what can't go back to the v4 and will always prefer wide open direct, but not really that much.

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I am looking forward to the v5, I am attempting to slash the vape budget so will be waiting on us available solid clone. I liked the v4 for a long time then progressed into Supreme, Boreas and handful of juice hungry awesome tanks. Went back to Bellus the other day, juice consumption down drastically and working great. Sucking down 30-60ml per day 0nic just makes no sense. No matter what can't go back to the v4 and will always prefer wide open direct, but not really that much.

do you go by chief?

AdubbaU

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I smoked I smoked very efficiently lol, quick. Chain vape on Boreas for 5-10 min and 7-8ml gone. Don't get lots of opportunities with baby and work, but take full advantage of them when I do. Old tanks are too restrictive. Loved the Kaylyn 3 and progressed quickly as technology progressed. I would still be happy with the v4 I think if could to TC well (yes could rebuild it). Think the v5 will be good solution to next step of cutting back.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I fill mine right to the metal plate with the holes in it, not above. Never had a leak so far.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I fill mine right to the metal plate with the holes in it, not above. Never had a leak so far.

Yep, that's what I've been doing, per instructions from my ole buddy @f1r3b1rd, and it's been perfect since.

Just goes to show, that we can fight the law all we want, but the laws of physics always win :D

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
love this tank! 0.26 fused Clapton build at 38w and its pure bliss
Yep, that's what I've been doing, per instructions from my ole buddy @f1r3b1rd, and it's been perfect since.

Just goes to show, that we can fight the law all we want, but the laws of physics always win :D
explain that to people that wanna fire tard ohms

10 days and running. Great tank - although airflow is a bit to open. I slapped a big clapton in there - and flavor is amazing @22 watts.

My only issue with this tank is that there are already a couple of low cost single coilers (bachelor nano, serpent mini etc) that cater to the same crowd. I have both - but can't stand them. The V5 is better in almost all departments - but still not the tank I was hoping for.

I do wish the V5 had the airflow controller of the squape R or even a Kabuki. You WILL find the perfect draw on these - but not the V5. I regrettedly have to agree with PB.

If it had - I'd have 2 more on the way. As it stands I'm placing an order for v3 minis instead.

Great - but not perfect.
If you do prefer an open draw - go for it. If not - you might very well learn to love it anyway. I'm still in the proces. I'll get there.

Thumbs up.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
10 days and running. Great tank - although airflow is a bit to open. I slapped a big clapton in there - and flavor is amazing @22 watts.

My only issue with this tank is that there are already a couple of low cost single coilers (bachelor nano, serpent mini etc) that cater to the same crowd. I have both - but can't stand them. The V5 is better in almost all departments - but still not the tank I was hoping for.

I do wish the V5 had the airflow controller of the squape R or even a Kabuki. You WILL find the perfect draw on these - but not the V5. I regrettedly have to agree with PB.

If it had - I'd have 2 more on the way. As it stands I'm placing an order for v3 minis instead.

Great - but not perfect.
If you do prefer an open draw - go for it. If not - you might very well learn to love it anyway. I'm still in the proces. I'll get there.

Thumbs up.

haha.. PB loved the 3.1, v3 mini and the v4.... I'm glad that svoemesto decided to let some of us come home and return toa product we loved by accommodating us also this time. I say, there are 3 to choose from for those that love them; some of us did love them but moved on and are loving being home.

besides, they made some airflow restrictors for all those that needed a tighter draw.
- see everyone can be happy.

My point excactly - horses for courses.
I like the V5 - I love the V3 Mini. Great to have choice!

But I still can't find that cheap air flow restrictor mentioned... Any links?

UPDATE: Nevermind - found it. Not in stock ;-( A lot of accessories are popping up - I see that steamtuners have made a threaded drip tip (shorter) for the V3 mini. Would be a nice addition to the V5 as well..

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My point excactly - horses for courses.
I like the V5 - I love the V3 Mini. Great to have choice!

But I still can't find that cheap air flow restrictor mentioned... Any links?

UPDATE: Nevermind - found it. Not in stock ;-( A lot of accessories are popping up - I see that steamtuners have made a threaded drip tip (shorter) for the V3 mini. Would be a nice addition to the V5 as well..
Have you been able to try them?
And have you seen any other accessories yet? Would love a colored glass or even a p3 connector for it.
Have to say. This is the first time I've liked a stock svoe Driptip

Unfortunately no. CDV doesn't have the airflow restrictor in stock - I'm waiting so I can bundle some items.

Shipping costs are 18€ - flat rate. Seems cheap considering what I spend on vape gear generally - but still...

Steam tuners have the 5 tower kit out - unfortunately no colors yet. I'm going for that and both of the new drip tips for the V3.
I'm actually betting on the big Chinese sites to deliver colored glass options first. None so far for the 5.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Unfortunately no. CDV doesn't have the airflow restrictor in stock - I'm waiting so I can bundle some items.

Shipping costs are 18€ - flat rate. Seems cheap considering what I spend on vape gear generally - but still...

Steam tuners have the 5 tower kit out - unfortunately no colors yet. I'm going for that and both of the new drip tips for the V3.
I'm actually betting on the big Chinese sites to deliver colored glass options first. None so far for the 5.
Surprised that ibtanked or spectrum still have not

Douglas H. Aiken

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Heather's Heavenly Vapes should have the MTL Kit in next week.
I would stalk it though as I doubt they will last long.

Cheers for the tips - both of you.

Firebird - mate, it can't touch the hurricane. No way ;-) and the KFL is still the sexiest atty in existence..

PS Im experiencing leaky bottom syndrome even after rewicking. Unscrewed the base and found a bit of o-ring. DANG tight german tolerances!! Anyone else experiencing the same? I did lube everything up as per instructions from various vids... It seems to stem from opening and closing the juiceflow. Ky Rob is not alone i guess.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Firebird - mate, it can't touch the hurricane. No way ;-) and the KFL is still the sexiest atty in existence..

PS Im experiencing leaky bottom syndrome even after rewicking. Unscrewed the base and found a bit of o-ring. DANG tight german tolerances!! Anyone else experiencing the same? I did lube everything up as per instructions from various vids... It seems to stem from opening and closing the juiceflow. Ky Rob is not alone i guess.

It doesn't like being overfilled. You have to stop just at the grate or below. Anything else displaces the liquid and it bleeds out.

Not so sure man. Hell it benched all of my DL tanks and has damn near benched my Erl and Hurricane

Last edited:

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It doesn't like being overfilled. You have to stop just at the grate or below. Anything else displaces the liquid and it bleeds out.

I can attest to this one with 100% certainty. Stopped filling above the grate, and it's been a champ ever since.

wishbone

Member For 3 Years
Got the Tobecco clone this week, along with a Merlin and Serpent Mini. So far I like the Kayfun 5 clone the best of the three.

All have excellent flavor. The Kayfun is the hardest of the three to build on (the Merlin is the best) but is so easy to wick compared to the Merlin.

The Kayfun has been bullet proof, no leakage, no issues.

Merlin have had some leaking and seepage, but I think I have resolved, just cant leave the JFC open when not vaping for awhile.

Serpent is a good little RTA, a little loud, an not wild about the mouth piece, gets a little warm if vaping to much in a short period of time.

Will grab an original when I can find one.

First usage, didn't put attention on airflow ring raised, closed it tight, filled the juice - got base stuck to the chamber and there is no way I can open it with bare hands. So to the guys who asked - yes, this German machine can be stuck with perfect precision and forever, so be careful.

To me it was the most expensive one minute vape

CaVape80

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got my ft skx clone put a .5 ss316 after a thorough bath. So far so good ,nice vapor production , good flavour and decent machining on it. I've been vaping the boreas and aero supreme for a while thought its was time to mix it up.

Im now kinda DL vaper, but MTL vapor was the reason why i can stop smoking cigs. Recently i want to go back to MTL bcause of its less vapor production which is good when im at public places and hoping it will consume less juices. Then i decided to go with kfv5. This is my 1st kayfun atty and im confused with kfv5 juice flow control. Cmiiw, it says to turn the base clockwise to close and counter clockwise if you want to open it. I only know turn clockwise to take off the base and counter clockwise to tightening it.
Can someone tell me how this juice flow control works?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Im now kinda DL vaper, but MTL vapor was the reason why i can stop smoking cigs. Recently i want to go back to MTL bcause of its less vapor production which is good when im at public places and hoping it will consume less juices. Then i decided to go with kfv5. This is my 1st kayfun atty and im confused with kfv5 juice flow control. Cmiiw, it says to turn the base clockwise to close and counter clockwise if you want to open it. I only know turn clockwise to take off the base and counter clockwise to tightening it.
Can someone tell me how this juice flow control works?
The holes at the bottom of the chimney are blocked off by the base.
the more you open or unscrew it; the more juice is allowed to flow.
- I use high vg so I make 2.5 full turns via unscrewing it .

Last edited:
The holes at the bottom of the chimney are blocked off by the base.
the more you open or unscrew it; the more juice is allowed to flow.
- I use high vg so I make 2.5 full turns via unscrewing it .

Thanks for your reply. Now i know how the juice control works. Its just that i made mistakes today. Overtightening the base to close the juice holes. Got to empty the tanks and use pliers to hold the chimney.
End of the day, im satisfied so far with kfv5. Ss316l 26g, 6 wraps, id 3, runs at 20-25 watts. Different experience compared to crown or supreme.

petemoss

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Got my legendgadget SXK clone yesterday. I ordered it on July 31, so eleven days from order to my mailbox, not bad! I had viewed a couple of Youtube videos on the v5, so I knew what to expect. Still, I'm impressed with the improvements Svoemesto has made since my last Kayfun (ver. 3.1 ES). V5 has more air, smoother air and juice adjustment, top fill, and an improved coil mount. I'm running it with air wide open and it's about 50% more air than the original v3.1 but still a restricted draw, just not super tight. That's perfect for me. I just ordered a Kayfun mini 3.1 and a mini v5 from FT.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I bought 2 K5s and got them last week. One for Dad (MTL) and one for me (DL & MTL when needed). I also got all of the extras to tighten the airflow, extra pieces, etc.
I've spoken with many here on the forum who DL and in my circle. The K5 is hands down da' bomb users here say. I haven't opened mine yet, but can't wait to use it.

Last edited:

Mustang4Life

Member For 4 Years
So, got the legendary Kayfun 5 from Origin Vape last week. Been experimenting with different builds - can't get a decent flavor (even my Subtask Plus RBA gives a much better flavor). I own the Hurricane and love the flavor from it. Tried a similar build - no luck. What am I doing wrong? TIA.

VU Sponsors