Become a Patron!

Switching flavors with 1 tank

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
Hi All, I don’t really like to use the same coil for more than 1 flavor because I am worried I wont taste the new juices real flavor alone.. but it seems expensive to toss a good coil out every time I want to switch after a day or 2. any ideas? Can I use that same coil again? I could put it in a ziplock or something. Or will it taste bad/have bacteria or something bad on it over time? If I can reuse should I wash it? I am using the stock tank for the voopoo drag x plus kit

Last edited:

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
Yep. Best
:teehee: Your afraid. I look forward to it. Gear can be pretty cheap.
You are right.. I just looked at the tank I have (Voopoo drag x plus) considering it comes with 2 coils it’s a good deal. Would u say I could leave a tank with the same juice for a long time? I might end up with like 5 tanks but will only carry my ADV to work.. I just want something different when I come home and on the weekends just for fun

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
. I just want something different when I come home and on the weekends just for fun
Sure, for that very purpose, and backup. I'm thinking if you vape each tank often, a few days or so, the juice will be fine. Maybe keep the home ones in cabinet(dark). If you like a certain coil it could be cross compatible to other brands too.
And pretty sure there's 1 or more RBA's that fit that. Cheap and easy to coil, easy to clean.

Depends on what a long time is and where its stored.

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
Sure, for that very purpose, and backup. I'm thinking if you vape each tank often, a few days or so, the juice will be fine. Maybe keep the home ones in cabinet(dark). If you like a certain coil it could be cross compatible to other brands too.
And pretty sure there's 1 or more RBA's that fit that. Cheap and easy to coil, easy to clean.

Depends on what a long time is and where its stored.
for example I like this one coffee hazelnut flavor but it is SOOOOO sweet that I can only have it few times a week.. so Id probably need a long time to finish that 60 ml and coil.. id say a month maybe longer.. I suppose I could throw out remaining juice from the tank weekly or something but what about the coil if its still good? If you can give me a rough idea.. I’m sort of new to vaping since I did it shoryly 4 yrs ago and went back to cigs.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What sometimes happens to me is I'll sideline an atty thinking I'll brb soon and then I'm not and then I clean/& fresh wick it. But that's with a rebuildable, so I don't loose the coil. And I don't count the days it's idle. A month or longer with the same juiced up coil sounds like a long time, unless you vape it all from the tank b4 shelving it. Even the, just the juice in the coil could turn. Again I think it boils down to frequency of use even if it is a month+. Try it.

You could water rinse a coil head and let it dry but, that won't help the wire and it will crud up [esp with sweet and super sweeet juices]. A really small round plastic bristle brush might help w/some of that gunk. By the time you do that you could clean the coil and rewick a rebuildable. And you didn't have to buy coils.

Using that mod w/a single coil RDA and drip at home and a single coil RTA to go with it, would be ideal. Even moreso with sweet juice. About 15$ or less for a spool of wire and wick lasts months and months. You can probably get out with $50 or less for everything but you'd be set and not have to buy coils or try to clean coil heads for a looonnnggg time.

Last edited:

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
What sometimes happens to me is I'll sideline an atty thinking I'll brb soon and then I'm not and then I clean/& fresh wick it. But that's with a rebuildable, so I don't loose the coil. And I don't count the days it's idle. A month or longer with the same juiced up coil sounds like a long time, unless you vape it all from the tank b4 shelving it. Even the, just the juice in the coil could turn. Again I think it boils down to frequency of use even if it is a month+. Try it.

You could water rinse a coil head and let it dry but, that won't help the wire and it will crud up [esp with sweet and super sweeet juices]. A really small round plastic bristle brush might help w/some of that gunk. By the time you do that you could clean the coil and rewick a rebuildable. And you didn't have to buy coils.

Using that mod w/a single coil RDA and drip at home and a single coil RTA to go with it, would be ideal. Even moreso with sweet juice. About 15$ or less for a spool of wire and wick lasts months and months. You can probably get out with $50 or less for everything but you'd be set and not have to buy coils or try to clean coil heads for a looonnnggg time.
Thanks a lot

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hi All, I don’t really like to use the same coil for more than 1 flavor because I am worried I wont taste the new juices real flavor alone.. but it seems expensive to toss a good coil out every time I want to switch after a day or 2. any ideas? Can I use that same coil again? I could put it in a ziplock or something. Or will it taste bad/have bacteria or something bad on it over time? If I can reuse should I wash it? I am using the stock tank for the voopoo drag x plus kit
I have a Drag X Plus also. Mine came with the PNP pod tank.
They also came with the TTP tanks later on.
You can get spare pods almost everywhere.
They come 2 to a box for under $10 but they don’t come with coils.
Grab a few boxes and set them up with your different flavors.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I suppose I could throw out remaining juice from the tank weekly or something but what about the coil if its still good? If you can give me a rough idea.. I’m sort of new to vaping since I did it shoryly 4 yrs ago

Sometimes I can have a coil last about 3 months. Have seen others go 6 months to a year on a coil. It is kind of subjective. You'll need to look at the coil kind of close to see if it seems damaged, weak.

This isn't saying go put it under a microscope. If you can just visually see it looks too full of crud, weak, pitted ... throw it out, build a new coil. You could use a scope if you want but to me that seems nearly anally retentive or OCD.

The amount of dose you'll need from all the advertised "scary toxic metals" gives you time just by eyeballing. Once you see damage you'll know using it any longer might be risky. This is why I usually play a "safe bet" of around 3 months max for coils, unless one looks bad before then.

But consider my opinion knowing I've eaten my papers, munched paint chips. :) :p :D

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
Sometimes I can have a coil last about 3 months. Have seen others go 6 months to a year on a coil. It is kind of subjective. You'll need to look at the coil kind of close to see if it seems damaged, weak.

This isn't saying go put it under a microscope. If you can just visually see it looks too full of crud, weak, pitted ... throw it out, build a new coil. You could use a scope if you want but to me that seems nearly anally retentive or OCD.

The amount of dose you'll need from all the advertised "scary toxic metals" gives you time just by eyeballing. Once you see damage you'll know using it any longer might be risky. This is why I usually play a "safe bet" of around 3 months max for coils, unless one looks bad before then.

But consider my opinion knowing I've eaten my papers, munched paint chips. :) :p :D

thanks for your reply. I am using the regular coils that come with the kit. You are talking about your own built coils right? Are you replacing the cotton?

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
I have a Drag X Plus also. Mine came with the PNP pod tank.
They also came with the TTP tanks later on.
You can get spare pods almost everywhere.
They come 2 to a box for under $10 but they don’t come with coils.
Grab a few boxes and set them up with your different flavors.

Yeah I’m thinking about it. My kit came with TTP tank

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are talking about your own built coils right? Are you replacing the cotton?

Yes to both. Here's a recommendation on what cotton & when to change it. :) I got away from coil assemblies quite some time back. I may still use already made up coils at times. Though, I usually get wire from TEMCo and wind my own.

I don't do anything really fancy. Got told aesthetics was all fancy was for really. IME, this proves out. Others may find fancy coils do something for them, if so they can go enjoy the fancy stuff. I'll keep it simple. :)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah I’m thinking about it. My kit came with TTP tank

I don't have the Drag X Plus (wish I did!) but I do have two Drag Xs and an Argus GT kit. Those all came with the PNP Pod tank. Then I have a Drag 3 that came with the TPP pod tank.

I've bought a bunch of the Voopoo RTA Pod tanks (rebuildable, but soooo easy) because most everything I have is rebuildable. I am still using one PNP Pod tank and one TPP Pod tank with factory coils, but only because those coils are SO good.

I'm both lazy and cheap, and on factory coils when changing from one flavor to another, I'll vape a half tank or so of vanilla or custard in between, so that what's left in the coils is a much more subtle/neutral flavor that will marry up with just about anything you put in it when the vanilla or custard is all gone.

Both of those types of coils are getting harder to find. The places I was buying them from (Vapeology.eu and Hoosier ECigs) either do not exist any longer or are clearing out all their vape stuff and don't have those coils any more.

I'd really suggest that you get one or two of those Voopoo RTA tanks, if you can find them, in case the day comes when you cannot get the factory coils, even if you don't want to build your own right now. It may come to a point where you don't have a choice.

I just read through the thread again and saw your post about the sweet coffee flavor. Coffee is a bit of a different animal, and when you get a coffee flavor in a coil, most times it's there for good. What I'd do is remove that coil, use a paper towel to clean as much of the excess juice off it as you can, then put it in a heavy ziplock bag and label the bag with the flavor. When you seal the bag, get as much air out of it as you can. PG has some antibacterial properties, plus when you put the coil back into use it's gonna get REALLY HOT in there, so I wouldn't worry about germs too much. I'd a lot rather do that than leave it in a tank with juice in it for weeks at a time, exposed to the air and light.

Last edited:

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
I don't have the Drag X Plus (wish I did!) but I do have two Drag Xs and an Argus GT kit. Those all came with the PNP Pod tank. Then I have a Drag 3 that came with the TPP pod tank.

I've bought a bunch of the Voopoo RTA Pod tanks (rebuildable, but soooo easy) because most everything I have is rebuildable. I am still using one PNP Pod tank and one TPP Pod tank with factory coils, but only because those coils are SO good.

I'm both lazy and cheap, and on factory coils when changing from one flavor to another, I'll vape a half tank or so of vanilla or custard in between, so that what's left in the coils is a much more subtle/neutral flavor that will marry up with just about anything you put in it when the vanilla or custard is all gone.

Both of those types of coils are getting harder to find. The places I was buying them from (Vapeology.eu and Hoosier ECigs) either do not exist any longer or are clearing out all their vape stuff and don't have those coils any more.

I'd really suggest that you get one or two of those Voopoo RTA tanks, if you can find them, in case the day comes when you cannot get the factory coils, even if you don't want to build your own right now. It may come to a point where you don't have a choice.

I just read through the thread again and saw your post about the sweet coffee flavor. Coffee is a bit of a different animal, and when you get a coffee flavor in a coil, most times it's there for good. What I'd do is remove that coil, use a paper towel to clean as much of the excess juice off it as you can, then put it in a heavy ziplock bag and label the bag with the flavor. When you seal the bag, get as much air out of it as you can. PG has some antibacterial properties, plus when you put the coil back into use it's gonna get REALLY HOT in there, so I wouldn't worry about germs too much. I'd a lot rather do that than leave it in a tank with juice in it for weeks at a time, exposed to the air and light.
Oh wow that was very helpful. Thank you! I’m going to do that ziplock advice. I tried building my own coils 6 years ago, it worked but it wasn’t well. It wasn’t heating up all throughout maybe because the wire was crooked LOL. Not my talent. So I will get a voopoo RTA as you suggested and I was thinking of following @Vape Fan advice on an RDA as well so I can easily swap out cotton for a new flavor since I am still finding and experimenting flavors (3 weeks no cigarettes now, last time I only lasted 1 week before dual using) Any thoughts on buying premade coils? There’s a few reputable online stores for Canada that sells them. Lastly, I was wondering why you said we might not be able to buy TPP coils in the future?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Oh wow that was very helpful. Thank you! I’m going to do that ziplock advice. I tried building my own coils 6 years ago, it worked but it wasn’t well. It wasn’t heating up all throughout maybe because the wire was crooked LOL. Not my talent. So I will get a voopoo RTA as you suggested and I was thinking of following @Vape Fan advice on an RDA as well so I can easily swap out cotton for a new flavor since I am still finding and experimenting flavors (3 weeks no cigarettes now, last time I only lasted 1 week before dual using) Any thoughts on buying premade coils? There’s a few reputable online stores for Canada that sells them. Lastly, I was wondering why you said we might not be able to buy TPP coils in the future?
Not sure of your vape laws in CA. In US the gvrnmt trying to severely limit access. Not just that. There's end of life on those when the manuf goes on to its next iteration and at some point, hopefully not too soon but you never know, they can stop making them and the market dries up. rebuildable is future proof.

Coil you made wasn't heating up all throughout? That's a really easy fix that we can help with while making it the resistance/wattage range you want. There are spools of claptoned wire and wouldn't have to build that. Or like you say, get premade. I loaded up on premades from a co here that had to stop selling them due to gvmnt BS.

Have you been looking at RDA's? For RTA you don't have to make it VooPoo, altho I think they make a couple good ones imo.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Lookie lookie, ... and more. The more kept leading to links what are in Canada, behind age verification systems. Not being a Canuck meself, didn't engage.

Advance will likely ship to Canada, but are based CO, US.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
A mesh [vs round coils] RTA would be an option. Most mesh coils are inexpensive, and the same size which makes them cross brand compatible and plentiful for a long time.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Coil you made wasn't heating up all throughout? That's a really easy fix that we can help with while making it the resistance/wattage range you want.

Uh huh, got to thinking. Ceramic tweezers, fanning over the coil, squeezing together, spacing it out. It is pretty simple but yes it takes a bit to "get" too.

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
Not sure of your vape laws in CA. In US the gvrnmt trying to severely limit access. Not just that. There's end of life on those when the manuf goes on to its next iteration and at some point, hopefully not too soon but you never know, they can stop making them and the market dries up. rebuildable is future proof.

Coil you made wasn't heating up all throughout? That's a really easy fix that we can help with while making it the resistance/wattage range you want. There are spools of claptoned wire and wouldn't have to build that. Or like you say, get premade. I loaded up on premades from a co here that had to stop selling them due to gvmnt BS.

Have you been looking at RDA's? For RTA you don't have to make it VooPoo, altho I think they make a couple good ones imo.

Canada just officially went forward with banning flavors by 2022 aside from Mint menthol and Tobacco . Health Canada asked the public for their opinion about flavor bans before this went official. They received 23000+ emails and said we don’t give a flying faddoodle. They are saying its to protect youth but I call BS.

Forgive me I am not perfectly familiar with the terms just yet. I’m looking for an RTA , and also the one where you have to drip juice every now and then. So its easy to swap cotton and not commit too much e juice.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
also the one where you have to drip juice every now and then. So its easy to swap cotton and not commit too much e juice.

Sounds like an RDA. I use those and what are also called RSA. RSAs are just RDAs that you can use to squonk. If you know a bit and can get a decent capillary 510 pin for a particular RDA, most can be RSAs.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Budget isn’t a concern. I want to be hooked so much on vaping that the temptation for cigs fully go away. I think we can all say health is priceless. :cheers:
If you are looking for an easy rta , check out the Eclipse ... Single coil, easy to build and wick, does not leak. More importantly it has great flavor....

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Budget isn’t a concern. I want to be hooked so much on vaping that the temptation for cigs fully go away. I think we can all say health is priceless. :cheers:
I'm not familiar with the tank you've been using.
Is the air flow a restricted but still direct lung? Or MTL?
What tip do you like - 510 or 810?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

I missed the point that you were in Canada, and I don't know the laws up there either. It's getting harder every day to get vape gear and supplies in the US. That's why I said the bit about not being able to get coils.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Still Canada, so prob Canada or maybe china.

vapeju

Member For 4 Years

I’m not sure about the airflow. It’s adjustable and I have it fully open. I’m not sure if its mouth to lung either. I definitely don’t have to inhale it after like a cigarette, maybe its the way I vape? I like the 510. 810s look cool though lol

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
I missed the point that you were in Canada, and I don't know the laws up there either. It's getting harder every day to get vape gear and supplies in the US. That's why I said the bit about not being able to get coils.

Thats some serious corruption. It is shocking honestly. I guess Canada isn’t as bad in vape bans (yet).

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Oh my, this thread is long. Sorry if I don't read it all and repeat info. You can use a syringe or a bulb syringe to take juice out of the tank. As far as coils....here is what I did....this is not advice just sharing my experience as a noob.

-Coils can be rinsed, dried, and reused.
-Coils can be soaked in alcohol, but rinse well, and dry before reuse.
-Coils that have NOT been cleaned can also be used with another flavor, and you probably won't notice after a few puffs.
-NONE of this applies to already burnt coils of course.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I’m not sure about the airflow. It’s adjustable and I have it fully open. I’m not sure if its mouth to lung either. I definitely don’t have to inhale it after like a cigarette, maybe its the way I vape? I like the 510. 810s look cool though lol
Looks like its RDL, restricted direct lung. DL but not open airy. That's w/its af fully open.
Tons of options in that af range for RDA or RTA. If you get 810 then you can get an adapter to use 510 on it.

Did you look up squonk? A mod with a bottle for squeezing juice up into the RDA. If you like the idea it would also solve your 1 and only mod situation. A squonk mod will work w/non squonk tanks.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Alright. Thanks! What does squonk mean though?

It means you're bonkers. :) Instead of dripping normally we choose mods with their own included drip bottle. You squeeze the bottle and it injects juice up into the RDA. Any excess juice is sucked back down and squonk is the sound that makes. Check out the thread link for examples of squonking mods, the zen of squonking and general nuttiness.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

The Voopoo Pod tanks, both PNP and TPP, are definitely restricted DL, even with airflow wide open.

The reason I suggested OP stick with the Voopoo RTA Pod tanks is because they're super easy to build and refill. The deck is really similar to a Wasp Nano. Those coils systems are sort of "modular," the TPP tank will fit on a PNP base, the RTA decks will fit on either the TPP or PNP base, and I have yet to have one leak, either factory coils or rebuildables. The biggest drawback to them in my book is that you can't use your own drip tips on them.

I will say though that a nice Aromamizer Supreme (the V3) would look awesome on that Drag X Plus, unless the OP just hates tall tanks. To me those also are super easy to build, especially if you get one with a postless deck, and I don't think the Supreme is any wider than the Pod tank, so it should fit the mod. To stick to a single-coil RTA, the Aromamizer Lite would work well also, and doesn't have the "tall factor" of the Supreme.

As far as an RDA, the Reload S would look super on it.

buy an rebuildable RTA it will save your issue, and also save you alot of money.

edit didnt think it was a pod system.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh my, this thread is long. Sorry if I don't read it all and repeat info. You can use a syringe or a bulb syringe to take juice out of the tank. As far as coils....here is what I did....this is not advice just sharing my experience as a noob.

-Coils can be rinsed, dried, and reused.
-Coils can be soaked in alcohol, but rinse well, and dry before reuse.
-Coils that have NOT been cleaned can also be used with another flavor, and you probably won't notice after a few puffs.
-NONE of this applies to already burnt coils of course.
I have done these things before (very low budget) Basically soak the coil in alcohol (cheap vodka), blow the alcohol out, then dry it (like 24 hours... don't rush it) That helps if it was a strong flavor... otherwise I just suck what's left out of the tank (blunt needle syringe) put a little unflavored juice in (I do DIY so always have some handy) Vape that, suck what's left out and go to the new flavor. I do so much experimenting I actually do this often (today in fact) Some flavors (like cinnamon, mint, licorice) are very difficult to get out of a coil.
Anyway, since you have a better budget I would simply get more tanks/pods and not bother with what I mentioned. But... a blunt needle syringe is a very useful thing to have for many reasons.

VU Sponsors