Become a Patron!

Tarta de Manzana (v6.0) (homemade apple pie)

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Tarta de Manzana (v6.0)

After 6 months, over 200ml of testers, and more than 50 different variations, I am finally ready to share this recipe with everyone. I have substituted various manufacturers and played with the percentages enough, v6.0 is the best of them all. Be sure to stick to the manufacturers that I have indicated below, substitutions will affect the final product.

Here is my twist on Homemade Apple Pie that I call Tarta de Manzana (v6.0):

Fuji Apple (Flavor Art) 2%

Two Apples (Inawera) 3%

Apple Pie (Flavor Art) 5%

Graham Cracker (Flavor West) 1%

Cinnamon Ceylon (Flavor Art) 0.25%

JOY (Flavor Art) 1%

Caramel (Flavor Art) 1.5%

Fresh Cream (Flavor Art) 2%

Ethyl Maltol 1.5%

Flavor Total = 17.25% (seems like a lot, I know, but it's worth it)

I like 65% VG / 35% PG, but you can make it whatever your accustom too. Age this one a minimum 5 days, a week is better. Otherwise the JOY will be too strong and the apples will be missing. But after 5 days everything blends perfectly.

You can substitute for the Two Apples (Inawera) flavor above if you don't have it but I highly recommend the Fuji verses other apples…something about its flavor makes this recipe what it is. But don't use it for all 5% of the apples in the recipe, more than the above 2% and the Fuji is too much, you need a blend of two different apple flavors, one of them Fuji. I have used Stark (Flavor Art) for the Two Apples (Inawera) and its OK, if you have a granny smith or some other apple try it. But this is the best iteration I have come up with so far.

Finally, this is best in a dripper, set it for warm, but not too hot vapor. Play with your volts/watts to get it right for you. My set up is a dual 22 gauge wire twisted single coil wrapped on a 2.5 screwdriver jig, sub-Ohm 0.3 at 4.3volts /65 watts in my Compvape Double Vision RDA. I have not tried this recipe in a tank, if you do let me know how you like it.

This recipe is for personal use, please do not use it for commercial purposes without my authorization. Thanks, and ENJOY!

*UPDATE* Loaded my Billow v2 tank with this for the first time, not bad! Just had to play with the settings to get the vape warm enough. 0.45 ohm dual coil, 55 watts / 4.9 volts gives me the flavor I expected.

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That will be kinda sweet with all the ethyl maltol in it. 1.5% is SWEEET at least for me.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All but the cinnamon. Darn! Can I sub that with anything? I'm assuming you would know based on v6.

Thanks for sharing

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
need cinnamon for proper apple pie. What other spice flavors do you have?

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LOL, NO! don't use that. if you had allspice, that might of worked in small quantities.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That will be kinda sweet with all the ethyl maltol in it. 1.5% is SWEEET at least for me.

1.5% is on the low end of the sweetness scale....and with the tartness of the apples it balances out. Its really not that sweet.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
All but the cinnamon. Darn! Can I sub that with anything? I'm assuming you would know based on v6.

Thanks for sharing
Cinnamon Swirl might work, if you have that. Cinnamon Toast, Cinnamon Danish, Cinnamon Roll, maybe even Red Hots...just start with 0.10% and work your way up when dealing with cinnamon. As for any other spice, not sure, I only tried variations of Cinnamon and played with the percentages, never tried to omit it all together.

v6.0 is going backwards for me. I made it all the way up to version 9.8 and gave up. Somehow v6.0 was the best recipe I came up with. There were some close seconds, and some that I might even share later on, but this one, when you get the vape warm enough, tastes like an actual apple pie! You can taste the apples, the cinnamon, even the crusty goodness thanks to JOY. Even the Caramel and and Fresh Cream help round out the total package. And unlike some commercial apple pies (5 pawns), the caramel is way in the background, hardly notice it.

Last edited:

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i got cinnamon roll from FW?
Try it, start out at 0.10% and work your way up to 0.25%. Make a few small 5ml tester batches with different Cinnamon Roll percentages. You will figure out which % is right.

The best way to test one flavor variation is to mix up a larger (say 30ml) batch with all the other ingredients. Shake it up really well, then divide it into smaller 5-10ml bottles. Then just add the one ingredient you are trying to test. I found that trying to accurately make 5ml tester bottles is difficult, even when using a scale like I do. Its much easier to work in 30ml batches then divide and sub the one flavor variation you want to test.

The most important thing is to take good notes! If you haven't already, start a vape recipe journal. Make every new recipe an entry in the journal. Make notes, smell test it, vape test it, keep a good record of all the flavors you smell and taste. Also make a note of your mod and coil set up, watts, ohms, etc. They play a roll in the taste of a recipe. Write the date you made it, the day you sniff test it, the day you vape test it, this will help to determine the aging of a recipe. This journal will save your bacon later when you want to recreate one particular recipe. It also helps you learn to identify the subtle changes you make to a recipe so that you can increase or decrease a flavor. That is how I roll, just a suggestion.

Last edited:

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I feel your pain, must have made about 20 different apple pie recipes and never quite got how I want it. Did publish one on here pretty similar concentrates to yours. Interested how any people mix this find it with the fa apple pie @ 5% as never gone that high myself.

Personally I really don’t like sweeteners, seems people either swear by them or hate them, think I tried doughnut as a sweetener in many of mine. This looks good though, interested to see how people find it that do have the EM, good stuff.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I feel your pain, must have made about 20 different apple pie recipes and never quite got how I want it. Did publish one on here pretty similar concentrates to yours. Interested how any people mix this find it with the fa apple pie @ 5% as never gone that high myself.

Personally I really don’t like sweeteners, seems people either swear by them or hate them, think I tried doughnut as a sweetener in many of mine. This looks good though, interested to see how people find it that do have the EM, good stuff.

For those that don't use sweeteners, you can omit it with little to no impact on the final flavor. I just like my dessert vapes to have a little sweetness to them. Personally I don't like going over 2% EM in any recipe, blackens the coils too quick.

FA makes the best (in my opinion) Apple Pie. I also tried the Capella's and The Flavor Apprentice apple pies, but they each had separate issues. The Capella Apple Pie (v2) has a strong clove and/or nutmeg flavor to it, totally changed the intended flavor outcome. I use the Capella Apple Pie (v2) for other fruit pie recipes, like Pear Pie, Bumbleberry Pie, etc. because it has that strong clove/nutmeg taste. The Flavor Apprentice Apple Pie is OK, I didn't play with that one very much, so can't tell you about its flavor impact.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For those interested in my other versions, the following is a list of all substitutions and inclusions (not including the above v6 flavors) that I have experimented with along the way:

Brown Sugar (TFA)
Vienna Cream (FA)
Marzipan (FA)
MTS Vape Wizard (FA) this doesn't change the final flavor, but did seem to speed up the steep by 2 days.
Vanilla Bourbon (FA)
Stark (FA)
Cheesecake Graham Crust (TFA)
Clove (FA)
Apple Pie (TFA)
Apple Pie (v2) (Capella)
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (FW)
Acetyl Pyrazine (TFA)
Biscuit (Inawera)
Caramel DX (TFA)
Catalan Cream (FA)
Cream (Northwest VG)
Pie Crust (FW)
Sweet Cream (Capella)
Vanilla Swirl (TFA)

It was a long hard road testing all these inclusions/substitutions, but it was worth it! v6.0 tastes like a real apple pie! There may be a better manufacturer or different flavor that should be included, but with my limited flavor inventory of 169 flavors, I could only test so many different variables. Maybe one day I will buy some new flavors and try this again, but right now I don't want to taste Apple Pie again for at least a year...sick of it...LOL

Last edited:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i got cinnamon roll from FW?

FW Cinnamon Roll is sweeter and a bit milder than FA IMO.
Personally I'd try the FW at 1%, but would also lower the EM down to 0.5%.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
1.5% is on the low end of the sweetness scale....and with the tartness of the apples it balances out. Its really not that sweet.

I can see the need for it because all the other flavors used have no sweetness at all IMO.

Looks good tho, and I like your idea of mixing the different brands of Apples.
My INW Two Apples hasn't even been used yet:(.

Copied your recipe and will try it out one of these days when I get time.
Takes forever to develop these complicated mixes.
Thanks for posting.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
FW Cinnamon Roll is sweeter and a bit milder than FA IMO.
Personally I'd try the FW at 1%, but would also lower the EM down to 0.5%.

Agreed, Cinnamon Roll is sweet, so lower the EM. But I would be concerned about starting at 1%. IMO I would start out at 0.25% and work my up.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I mix a nice vape with Fuji apple, bourbon, and a bit of fresh cream.
You got percentages? I wouldn't mind trying that one.

I haven't worked much with Bourbon. Jamaican Rum a bit, and lots of Brandy, but not Bourbon.

Lately I've been taking fruits and mixing with Brandy 2:1 (Fruit to Brandy), in full concentrated form, no dilution, in dropper bottles. Making my own fruit liquors. Blackcurrant, Blackberry, Orange, and Plum so far. Once they steep for a month they mix well with some of my recipes and some clones. My favorite is a clone of Perpetual Check (5 Pawns) using the Blackcurrant Liquor.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have everything except FW Graham Cracker. I'm going to give Cap GC V2 @ .5% a try. Sound good?

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have everything except FW Graham Cracker. I'm going to give Cap GC V2 @ .5% a try. Sound good?
Sounds good, should work. Never used Cap GC before, so I don't know if it is the same or similar to FW, but it should work. Mix the second batch at a full 1% and see what the difference is vs 0.5%. You might find you need the full % or maybe fine with half %. Good luck and let me know, I will order some Cap GC v2 in the future, just waiting to get rid of all my FW before I get more.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have it mixed up. I'll report back in 5 or 6 days. I really like cap graham cracker v2. It has a slight cinnamon taste when mixed at higher %s.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought is was pretty good, though I think I'll make another tester and use tfa graham cracker clear at .5% next. I'm thinking the cap probably took away from the intended apple flavoring. At .5% with cap, I couldn't really pick out the Graham cracker

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well I made my own version of this subbing a couple of the concentrates I dont like or have for others so i cant comment like for like on the original recipe. I went for 4% on the FA Apple Pie and have to say you are on to something with the higher percentage to the norm as dont think I have ever gone above 1.5-2%. Think remaking I would bring it down to 3-3.5% but definately getting far more of a proper apple pie crust than I have before in other efforts of my own. For people that are in the liking sweeteners category ( i had to put in doughnut instead) I expect this is a really good recipe.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I thought is was pretty good, though I think I'll make another tester and use tfa graham cracker clear at .5% next. I'm thinking the cap probably took away from the intended apple flavoring. At .5% with cap, I couldn't really pick out the Graham cracker
With FW at 1% the graham cracker is not that noticeable, but it lends itself to the crusty flavor nicely, its there to accent the crust.
Never tried TFA graham cracker clear, can't say what it will do. Try the full 1% and see.

MellowFellow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well I made my own version of this subbing a couple of the concentrates I dont like or have for others so i cant comment like for like on the original recipe. I went for 4% on the FA Apple Pie and have to say you are on to something with the higher percentage to the norm as dont think I have ever gone above 1.5-2%. Think remaking I would bring it down to 3-3.5% but definately getting far more of a proper apple pie crust than I have before in other efforts of my own. For people that are in the liking sweeteners category ( i had to put in doughnut instead) I expect this is a really good recipe.
I played around with lower and even omitted Apple Pie from a few of my versions. Its that high for a reason!
Never tried doughnut in the recipe...you might be onto something!

VU Sponsors