Become a Patron!

Temp Control Q&A

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I dont notice it as much amymore, must be getting used to it. Really digging the flavor with SS316L. Is the difference noticable with plain SS? I failed to recognize the "L" at the end when ordering. It's UD wire. Would that be a solid brand? Like my first post said, I'm really green at this new venture.
No problem it's a little learning curve but it's worth it :) ss316l is what I use and what most people use so your good. For UD I haven't had the best experience with them. They mislabel their coils at times and aren't the best. I'd suggest next time try some from advancedvapesupply.com

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Still wondering why my wattage says 100W. The jumping around after I press the fire button has me thinking too. Does it do that to keep the coil at the desired temp? From what I've read I should be able to set it and lock it at a number.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Still wondering why my wattage says 100W. The jumping around after I press the fire button has me thinking too. Does it do that to keep the coil at the desired temp?
Yes the mod will adjust wattage to keep it at temp. The watt you set is basically a preheat. It's where it starts at then it throttles it down

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you for helping me figure this out.:)
All you guys, thanks.:lion:
Think of it like this. In TC watts controls your coil ramp up time. You want a quick ramp up crank up the watts. Slow ramp up knock the watts down. Your temperature setting controls how cool or hot you like your vape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Don't know if you caught it @Just Frank , but SirRichard said you could change that 100W preheat by pressing fire with the up/down buttons. That's how I read it anyway.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Don't know if you caught it @Just Frank , but SirRichard said you could change that 100W preheat by pressing fire with the up/down buttons. That's how I read it anyway.
Yeah it's fire plus up or down. Can't remember which one. One of them flips the screen lol

Smoant

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Sorry I'm late to the party!

On the Battlestar in SS or TCR you hold fire and + for a moment and the temp and watts will swap position so you can adjust the wattage. Then tap fire to return to temp and you are ready to go.

You will want to play around with the settings, some people like using a higher wattage to get to the temp faster and others like a lower wattage to build up to the sweet spot. I typically set the wattage to the wattage I would vape at in VW mode or maybe 5 watts higher. I also found that I got the best results on my triple core claptons using 102 in TCR mode instead of 92.

levis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thanks, bro, my mod is crazy hot when i suck it in summer, how do i cool it down?

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
what is the temperature range for SS316L? 450?

Sorry deadmau must have taken thread of watch or something can you elaborate?

What type of coil are you running? And what mod?

I find different build work best at different temps, even the same type of build has to be dialled back in from time to time. 450F is pretty good starting point although depending on the mod you might want higher

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
thanks, bro, my mod is crazy hot when i suck it in summer, how do i cool it down?

need few more details Levis mod, batteries, atty, coils, vaping style

Could be any number of factors in here affecting why your mod heats up

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I have a question of sorts...

When I vape in tc, I generally use between 35-40w at around 420 degrees on pretty much everything, simple or fancy builds. I recently found a random alien coil in my bag and decided to use it in a single coil RDA. I know it's 316L, 5 wrap, about a 3mm ID and comes in at .25

For some reason, I get the same vape at 320 degrees with this coil on all my mods (dna and yihi's included) and was wondering why. Any thoughts?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

When I vape in tc, I generally use between 35-40w at around 420 degrees on pretty much everything, simple or fancy builds. I recently found a random alien coil in my bag and decided to use it in a single coil RDA. I know it's 316L, 5 wrap, about a 3mm ID and comes in at .25

For some reason, I get the same vape at 320 degrees with this coil on all my mods (dna and yihi's included) and was wondering why. Any thoughts?

Do you mean you get same vape as the 420 degrees skt?

Are coils touching only I'm wondering if it's kicking you back out into power mode?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you mean you get same vape as the 420 degrees skt?

Are coils touching only I'm wondering if it's kicking you back out into power mode?

Yes sir, with this build I get the same vape at 320 that I normally get at 420 with everything else. The coils are touching but that has never caused a fluctuation like this. Definitely not getting booted back on any of the mods I've tried.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yes sir, with this build I get the same vape at 320 that I normally get at 420 with everything else. The coils are touching but that has never caused a fluctuation like this. Definitely not getting booted back on any of the mods I've tried.

Scratching head here mate lol

Whats your draw time?
Do you chain vape?
Are you running it same RDA as the other coils?

might be a ramp up thing do you use pre heat?just thinking with more mass it's not getting to highest temp due to the same wattage being used 30-40w?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That's easy. Bigger builds... don't need to be as hot to transmit more heat.

The temp set in TC is coil temp not vapor temp......

Think about a match vs a campfire.... the flame is same temp... but only one will cook your dinner.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
That's easy. Bigger builds... don't need to be as hot to transmit more heat.

The temp set in TC is coil temp not vapor temp......

Think about a match vs a campfire.... the flame is same temp... but only one will cook your dinner.

Makes sense Honda nice analogy

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The only thing I can think of is that not all SS316L is the same, with that much of a difference though of 100f I would tend to think it was labeled wrong, that is too far off. I know I have to adjust sometimes based on the build when in TC but never 100f.

Have you tried it in TCR mode? That might help to narrow down the possibilities.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Although Honda still find that hard to account for 100 difference and doesn't necessarily fit my experience with bigger coils but hey if it fits jobs a gooden lol

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only thing I can think of is that not all SS316L is the same, with that much of a difference though of 100f I would tend to think it was labeled wrong, that is too far off. I know I have to adjust sometimes based on the build when in TC but never 100f.

Have you tried it in TCR mode? That might help to narrow down the possibilities.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yea over tried it TCR on my SX mini, ipv5 and evic. All three same.

Like king pin said, if it fits the job...

Thanks for the feedback guys

patgall

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is what i've been looking for, a post on TC. Excellent idea. Have been using kanthal but want to try SS so ordered Spooled Fused Clapton 316L SS (28gx2/40g) from Advanced Vape All the techy stuff, TCR, steamengine figures, can be off-putting for a TC newbie though.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
This is what i've been looking for, a post on TC. Excellent idea. Have been using kanthal but want to try SS so ordered Spooled Fused Clapton 316L SS (28gx2/40g) from Advanced Vape All the techy stuff, TCR, steamengine figures, can be off-putting for a TC newbie though.

When you get it through patgall have a read of my first post on page 1 :) between us all we'll get you dialled in (takes a bit of patience)

no better vape than TC :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
In case anyone is interested or gets the Aspire Speeder mod gave its TC a whirl today. It's basic compared with YiHi or my DNA l, it hasnt got any sort of pre heat or custom curves settings but TC is really good no annoying rattling smooth vape through 3-4s pulls

Using my Druga RDA
Dual 316L fused claptons 0.2ohm spaced (at room temp)
AFC open only about 5th of the way (its way too airy otherwise for me!)

Had success with these settings for the above

Stock SS mode: 45w, 420.F
Manual TCR mode: 0.92%, 50w, 460.F

Never seen TCR done as a percentage before threw me to begin with so assuming the percentage is actuall 10 to power of -5 and treated is as such

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea over tried it TCR on my SX mini, ipv5 and evic. All three same.

Like king pin said, if it fits the job...

Thanks for the feedback guys
Did you play with the TCR number... start with the commonly understood factor and adjust up or down to get vape you want...

316L Steam-engine.org gives factor of 89... .. I find my Pico does 316L better when set for TCR of 70 to 75......

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you play with the TCR number... start with the commonly understood factor and adjust up or down to get vape you want...

316L Steam-engine.org gives factor of 89... .. I find my Pico does 316L better when set for TCR of 70 to 75......

Yeah i have, from around 92 to 120

Actually new to vaping. Need help with temp settings recommendations. I have a smok alien mod with a beast king tank and the v12 t12 coil. And help understanding temp settings. All help will be much appreciated

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as I know all of those smok tank coils are kanthal wire so you can't run them in temp control.

As far as I know all of those smok tank coils are kanthal wire so you can't run them in temp control.
It has a mode to adjust temp control. I just want the best setting for it. I feel like i get a lot of juice in a drag. I just want a good clean hit.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It has a mode to adjust temp control. I just want the best setting for it. I feel like i get a lot of juice in a drag. I just want a good clean hit.
The mod may have temp control.. You issue is the coils for your tank are Kanthal which cant be used for TC. You need coil made from Stainless, Ti or Nickle wires to run TC.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Too much juice like it's spitting juice in your mouth when you take a hit?
Turn the watts up.

There is a watt range for that coil, stay above the minimum and turn it up from there till it does not spit and stop before it starts to taste burnt or too hot.

As far as I know... all of those coils are kanthal, smok mods won't temp control kanthal so if you want to try temp control, you need another tank or if that tank has an rba option you can build your own stainless coils but it seems you probably wouldn't be up to building yet so probably a new tank that has a stainless coil option.

Last edited:
Too much juice like it's spitting juice in your mouth when you take a hit?
Turn the watts up.

There is a watt range for that coil, stay above the minimum and turn it up from there till it does not spit and stop before it starts to taste burnt or too hot.

As far as I know... all of those coils are kanthal, smok mods won't temp control kanthal so if you want to try temp control, you need another tank or if that tanks has an rba option you can build your own stainless coils but it seems you probably wouldn't be up to building yet so probably a new tank
Yes exactly. And ok i will try that. And i will look into that so i can try to start building later. But where would you recommend i leave the setting. Has options for ti, ss, and ni.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not in TC mode at all. Power or watt mode, whatever smok calls it.
You need ss coils for ss TC mode. You need Ni coils for Ni TC mode. You need Ti coils for Ti TC mode.

Your coils are kanthal... no TC for you

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, building is easier in a dedicated rebuildable tank or dripper. There usually isn't much room to build in the rba's that are available for subohm tanks and they are usually dual coil so those two things increase difficulty.

When you are ready to try building, spend $10 at fasttech and get a single coil dripper or rebuildable single coil tank.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Stainless... because it can also be used in regular regulation modes and unregulated..... Ti and Nickel are TC only.

Sure? I've been using Ni80 in wattage mode for months now because I was under the impression that the TC on my mod was for Ni200 only.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Sure? I've been using Ni80 in wattage mode for months now because I was under the impression that the TC on my mod was for Ni200 only.

Yeah your right max to do that. NI in TC means NI200 it will be expecting a much high TCR curve...with NI80 you would be pretty much vaping it in wattage mode as it won't detect temp increase properly

NI200 has TCR of 0.00600
N80 has TCR of 0.000112
SS316 has TCR of 0.000879
Kanthal has TCR of 0.000002

If the mod has manual TCR you can give it a try depends how sensitive the chip you are using and how many decimal places you can use but I reckon it'll be pants on most mods

And what Honda meant was don't use Titantium or NI200 in wattage mode as they produce toxic fumes when heated to high they are best left in temp control only

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah your right max to do that. NI in TC means NI200 it will be expecting a much high TCR curve...with NI80 you would be pretty much vaping it in wattage mode as it won't detect temp increase properly

NI200 has TCR of 0.00600
NI80 has TCR of 0.000112
SS316 has TCR of 0.000879
Kanthal has TCR of 0.000002

If the mod has manual TCR you can give it a try depends how sensitive the chip you are using and how many decimal places you can use but I reckon it'll be pants on most mods

And what Honda meant was don't use Titantium or NI200 in wattage mode as they produce toxic fumes when heated to high they are best left in temp control only
Is also why I wrote out NICKEL. in stead of using an abreviation..... didn't want nickel Ni to be confused with nichrome N## or N80.......

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Ah so nickel and nichrome are different. I've not seen nickel coils before. I assumed the terms were interchangeable. So Ni refers to nichrome?

Confusing stuff for an utter noob. So I think to change my tcr on other mods I have to connect them to the pc (CKS Icon 200 and my Drone). On the Captain I lack a decimal place and the max range on the TCR is .00200 - .00050. So basically it can only do SS and Ni200 according to the TCR numbers @KingPin! posted.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ni refers to Ni200, Nickel. Absolutely temp control only... Ni mode.

Ni80 is Nichrome and can be used in power or watt mode, some mods TC Ni80 but that's few and far between that are accurate enough to regulate TC with Ni80.

Sorry about the confusion.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah so nickel and nichrome are different. I've not seen nickel coils before. I assumed the terms were interchangeable. So Ni refers to nichrome?

Confusing stuff for an utter noob. So I think to change my tcr on other mods I have to connect them to the pc (CKS Icon 200 and my Drone). On the Captain I lack a decimal place and the max range on the TCR is .00200 - .00050. So basically it can only do SS and Ni200 according to the TCR numbers @KingPin! posted.

Different mods set the decimal place different for whatever reason. If you have 5 places instead of 6, just set it to .00092 for 316ss. If at 500° it's still not warm enough, set tcr to .00093 and start back at 450°.

That's for when you have a 316ss coil in which to my knowledge smok V12 tanks don't offer.
If you are using a kanthal coil, you are in power mode only.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Sorry max I confused it in my TCR notes I'll edit that N80 is what you'll see on wire wizard but it's nichrome ...

N80 or NI80 is Nichrome its an alloy so a mixture of metals it does have nickel in it but at 80% the rest is mainly made up of chromium, there are other trace elements like manganese, silicon, iron in there as well sometimes

NI200 is just nickel and is TC only

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the clarification. I ordered a ten pack of SS316 coils and I've ordered SS316 wire to try my hand at making some of my own. Most likely be sticking to SS316 anyways. I do appreciate your input though. I'm sure I'm not the only one that was confused about that.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Aaaaaand I'm in love. Rebuilt with some SS316L. Hooked up the drone to Escribe and set er up.

Duel 28gx3/36g SS316L w/7 wraps ohms out to .15 rockin 500F in the Goon with 2 air holes sitting atop LV Drone. Mellow Charms is tasting amazing. I do believe I'm in squonkers paradise. :confetti:

I have recently started to test out TC mode on my mod. I'm using a Kylin RTA and wrapping my own coils with 316L Stainless Steel.

In TC-SS mode, which according to Eleaf is for SS 316, I can run it at about 160˚C and it gives a nice vape.

When in M1 mode, which I have set with a TCR of 0088 (which I got from steam-engine) I have to run it at about 250˚C + to get a decent vape from it.

Which of these is right?

VU Sponsors