nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm sure by now everyone has heard the news about all the precautions people should take when celebrating the holidays this year.

I'm curious, and I'm sure others will be too, what everyone's plans are!

Tell us what you are doing for Thanksgiving, what you're cooking, anything special you'll do to distinguish Thanksgiving from just any other day.

Include menus and recipes if you like. There are a few of us who are foodies of the highest order, so we're curious!

Above all, though, in a year like 2020 has been, with all its challenges, tragedies, and stress, tell us what you manage to continue to be thankful for.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, all our family is out of state, and traveling is out out out soooo

We are getting together in neighbor's yurt, with other neighbor - flaps open or outdoors, weather permitting. Will all disposable plates, etc

There will be a hot BBQ, but we are all bringing our own food

Will be sharing a pear pie and a slab of homemade bacon; it is an attempt to be thankful and social but safe

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We are just having a simple organic feast, everything from the garsen except the turkey, he's still walking around in his pen. One store bought item, organic mushrooms for the homemade mushroom soup to go into the green bean cassarole. I am even going to have a small slice of turkey myself. Jean made me special taffy apples with dayes for the caramel
These, they are simple and quick and taste fantastic.

Healthy Halloween Candy Apples​

GettyImages-184373187-1024x685.jpg

This old school Halloween classic is one of the easiest healthy-swaps that skips over the refined sugars in favor of a sticky caramel made with dates and coconut.

Ingredients:

• 3 small/ medium organic apples
  • 3 sticks to hold the candy apples
  • 16 pitted Medjool dates
  • ¾ cup of coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (or extract)
  • Optional: 1 cup of crushed almonds to roll the candy apples in)
Instructions:

1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
  2. Puncture the apples through the base of the apple halfway into the core.
  3. Dip the apples into the caramel sauce until it’s fully covered and place them on a tray with baking paper.
  4. Refrigerate the apples for 15 minutes at a time to cool the caramel and dip again until they’re well coated.
  5. Roll the apples in the crushed almonds, and store in the fridge until ready to eat!

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wife took our youngest son to the Orlando area to visit friends from the UAE, then she's going to her sister's house for the holiday. A bunch of her family are driving down there as well. I'm taking my oldest son to my sister's here in Georgia. This will be my first Thanksgiving in the US since 1997 so I wanted to spend it with my family and not my in-laws. Unfortunately, I've been pretty sick for three days now. I got tested yesterday, along with my son, and I'll have the results in a day or two. If I'm positive, we have to stay home. My sister said she'll send over dinner for us though, so it won't be a total loss.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, wife and her sis come home from their state office jobs early Friday. They were sent home due to someone in there having contracted. On the way home they stopped in Ravenswood for a free test clinic.

Last night they got texted their results. Wife was negative, her sis positive. So we'll be quarantined as we all live in the same hovel.

Not sure if we're still planning to have a bit of a traditional dinner at her dad's. Usually turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, green beans, stuffing, mashed potatoes.

I keep being thankful I can laugh, love, live. :)

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My wife took our youngest son to the Orlando area to visit friends from the UAE, then she's going to her sister's house for the holiday. A bunch of her family are driving down there as well. I'm taking my oldest son to my sister's here in Georgia. This will be my first Thanksgiving in the US since 1997 so I wanted to spend it with my family and not my in-laws. Unfortunately, I've been pretty sick for three days now. I got tested yesterday, along with my son, and I'll have the results in a day or two. If I'm positive, we have to stay home. My sister said she'll send over dinner for us though, so it won't be a total loss.
Praying you & your son test negative. Welcome home, I think lol!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, wife and her sis come home from their state office jobs early Friday. They were sent home due to someone in the having contracted. On the way home they stopped in Ravenswood for a free test clinic.

Last night they got texted their results. Wife was negative, her sis positive. So we'll be quarantined as well all live in the same hovel.

Not sure if we're still planning to have a bit of a traditional dinner at her dad's. Usually turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, green beans, stuffing, mashed potatoes.

I keep being thankful I can laugh, love, live. :)
Praying for you & yours as well!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hubs is driving from NJ to IN to pick up my daughter Purdue is offering free COVID tests (daughter got tested Thursday). Her classes were remote but she works 2 days (internship at Pediatric facility, following safety protocols).

They’ll be home on Thanksgiving day so we’ll be celebrating the next day. Just the traditional Thanksgiving fare, turkey, stuffing, mash potatoes, string bean casserole, apple pie & pumpkin nut bread.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving in spite of all that is going on.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
@bobnat, I hope your test is negative. @MyMagicMist, hope your SIL has a mild case and it doesn't spread to anyone else in your household.

All our children are out-of-state also now. I sent them a group FB message last week saying that we (hubbs and I) won't be doing Thanksgiving out of the house this year, that it went without saying but I just wanted to confirm with them.

He and I will be cooking a turkey, plus dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, and some rolls. I haven't decided what to make for dessert yet, but I am leaning toward simple yellow cake with chocolate icing. That's my husband's favorite cake and it's been years since I made one. I'd rather have a maple frosted cake, but I'll probably defer to him this time.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Parents never know what is going on until the last minute...just how they are. Parents/Brother/Sis and their SOs are the family really. Gramma is 94yo and has Dementia, so can't talk to her anymore. I have nothing to talk to them about and it's more anxiety and stress than useful.

I'm staying put with Milly..it's just better and safer. Nov 29th is our one year anniversary of when I adopted her and that's more special to me than anything else.

TG is a lame holiday anyways, IMHO.

Milly has her meat, and I got a Chuck Roast to make at some point here, but honestly, most holidays have little meaning for me since I'm not religious and don't work. Everyday is a 'holiday'. ;)

Ya'll be Safe and Well...

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Parents never know what is going on until the last minute...just how they are. Parents/Brother/Sis and their SOs are the family really. Gramma is 94yo and has Dementia, so can't talk to her anymore. I have nothing to talk to them about and it's more anxiety and stress than useful.

I'm staying put with Milly..it's just better and safer. Nov 29th is our one year anniversary of when I adopted her and that's more special to me than anything else to me.

TG is a lame holiday anyways, IMHO.

Milly has her meat, and I got a Chuck Roast to make at some point here, but honestly, most holidays have little meaning for me since I'm not religious and don't work. Everyday is a 'holiday'. ;)

Ya'll be Safe and Well...
Enjoy your day with Milly! How wonderful to celebrate your 1 year anniversary of being together! :hearts:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Our Thanksgiving will be the same as it has been for years. There isn't much Family left and if the Gov wants to try and stop us from having it he will be met by my Doorman, Mr. Mossberg~! Just my GF and maybe her cousin at the most for guests.

Bought my Turkey this morning and preparing to start cooking in a couple of days~! Still going to cook like I always do which can feed the Neighborhood~!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Enjoy your day with Milly! How wonderful to celebrate your 1 year anniversary of being together! :hearts:

Will do! :inlove:?

More belly rubs for her and snuggling up watching football.
She watches...when she feels like it.

IMG_20201122_094147.jpg

She doesn't like beef and I spice things up too much so no roast for her. I got some AK salmon though that she loves.

We're content, healthy, safe, and just fine here with each other as company. :)
I got my vapes, foods, some nice Dbl-IPA, and football to enjoy. Besides, VU is more of a family than mine is anyways.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My sort of TG dinner cooking... :D

Just made her up a 1/4lb primo batch of her food: hand-diced boneless pork chops, with her Alnutrin supplements, a capsule of CurcuVet-SA50, the required amount of liver, a bit of organic pumpkin for Vitamin A and digestion, and water. Nothing else.

https://vapingunderground.com/threads/we-love-cats.245599/post-2928267

*edit*

I did make up some festive "Spice Cake" type juice for myself and my new-to-me fave thing:

4UWg3xym.jpg

(disregard the label, I just reused the bottle for this one-off batch)

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Will do! :inlove:?

More belly rubs for her and snuggling up watching football.
She watches...when she feels like it.

View attachment 173512

She doesn't like beef and I spice things up too much so no roast for her. I got some AK salmon though that she loves.

We're content, healthy, safe, and just fine here with each other as company. :)
I got my vapes, foods, some nice Dbl-IPA, and football to enjoy. Besides, VU is more of a family than mine is anyways.
game day.jpg

am trying to understand this pic...
WHY dose the cat get ems own TV?
I mean do you two NOT route for the SAME team?
or do ya HAVE to be separated like some family's do?
cuz at your place
ya better or it ends up in a REAL CAT fight.?
am just asking........

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Since my kids(and his kids)and their partners are in our “pod”, we’re doing thanksgiving here at the only cat free house(me and my man are both allergic or else I would definitely have a cat!).Hahaha. Smoked turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashers, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, 4 pies(for 9 people), a vegetarian protein of some sort and probably cranberry sauce. I’m super happy my kids live in town and I work with both of them.....so no having to worry about staying apart.<3

VU Sponsors