Become a Patron!

The Clone Wars - Tearing the Vaping Community Apart

skenzer

Member For 4 Years
Right now it seems the biggest battle ever fought in the Vaping Community is the Clone War. Authentic mod makers going to war against the Clone makers and consumers as well. I don't need to get into what each side represents, I think we have all seen, read and heard enough to know what this battle is all about. But there's another side to this war that I believe we are not aware of: It is tearing our community apart.

I've been vaping for around 4 years now and have always been very proud of being a part of the vaping community. It's always been a group of people bound and determined to find a healthy, fun and social way to kick the cigarette habit. Vaping has always been far more then just an alternative to smoking, for many of us it's a hobby and a social network. We love getting together and discussing our new hardware, what flavors we're enjoying and what new deals and steals Joe has for us. Watching our favorite Youtube reviewers tell us what we need to spend our next paycheck on, these people have become our friends. I have met a lot of amazing people through the forums and Vape meets, people I would never have met otherwise.

Recently, our community has taken on a new and dark cloud. Emotions are flaring up and people are losing all respect for one another. Name calling and personal attacks have replaced what once was encouragement and a spirit of kindness and acceptance. People are taking sides and attacking those that may have contradictory opinions.

If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say that the Clone War has been started by the FDA as a way of distracting the Vaping Community from what's really important. Our right to vape!! Fortunately, I neither believe the FDA is intelligent enough to formulate such a ruse and I firmly believe that we indeed did land on the moon.

I won't get into what my personal beliefs are in regards to clone manufacturers and those who purchase and sell said clones. What I am willing to speak out on is how this war is tearing us apart. We are fighting a battle that will have no true winner. Our time and efforts should be spent defending our right to vape and helping others in the community.

As Grimm Green always says "If we're not helping other Vapers we're not doing our job". I think it's quite apparent that too many of us are "not doing our jobs" right now. Trust me, while I have a finger pointed at you there are 3 pointed right back at me.

Let's get this community back on track. The anger and the hatred that is becoming more and more prevalent needs to stop. We all need to voice our opinions in a civilized and respectful manor. Mock me if you will but I will guarantee this: the Vaping Community that once was an amazing thing to be a part of will be destroyed and torn apart, things will never be the same again. Are you ok with that? I'm not.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Right now it seems the biggest battle ever fought in the Vaping Community is the Clone War. Authentic mod makers going to war against the Clone makers and consumers as well. I don't need to get into what each side represents, I think we have all seen, read and heard enough to know what this battle is all about. But there's another side to this war that I believe we are not aware of: It is tearing our community apart.

I've been vaping for around 4 years now and have always been very proud of being a part of the vaping community. It's always been a group of people bound and determined to find a healthy, fun and social way to kick the cigarette habit. Vaping has always been far more then just an alternative to smoking, for many of us it's a hobby and a social network. We love getting together and discussing our new hardware, what flavors we're enjoying and what new deals and steals Joe has for us. Watching our favorite Youtube reviewers tell us what we need to spend our next paycheck on, these people have become our friends. I have met a lot of amazing people through the forums and Vape meets, people I would never have met otherwise.

Recently, our community has taken on a new and dark cloud. Emotions are flaring up and people are losing all respect for one another. Name calling and personal attacks have replaced what once was encouragement and a spirit of kindness and acceptance. People are taking sides and attacking those that may have contradictory opinions.

If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say that the Clone War has been started by the FDA as a way of distracting the Vaping Community from what's really important. Our right to vape!! Fortunately, I neither believe the FDA is intelligent enough to formulate such a ruse and I firmly believe that we indeed did land on the moon.

I won't get into what my personal beliefs are in regards to clone manufacturers and those who purchase and sell said clones. What I am willing to speak out on is how this war is tearing us apart. We are fighting a battle that will have no true winner. Our time and efforts should be spent defending our right to vape and helping others in the community.

As Grimm Green always says "If we're not helping other Vapers we're not doing our job". I think it's quite apparent that too many of us are "not doing our jobs" right now. Trust me, while I have a finger pointed at you there are 3 pointed right back at me.

Let's get this community back on track. The anger and the hatred that is becoming more and more prevalent needs to stop. We all need to voice our opinions in a civilized and respectful manor. Mock me if you will but I will guarantee this: the Vaping Community that once was an amazing thing to be a part of will be destroyed and torn apart, things will never be the same again. Are you ok with that? I'm not.
Good post. I don't feel that pressure on this site, fortunately, it's at least not prevalent. I do, however, agree with us needing to end in fighting in all respects, be it clones, or the newest one... Diacetyl. I've seen numerous arguments regarding the diacetyl issue, I don't get it we are in this together.

It's simple, buy what you can afford, and what you like. I just ordered an FUHATTAN, so my stance should be clear. I could care less what people vape as long as they vape. I still do want an authentic one day, but I've found I'm happier with multiple quality clones. I have no issue with people who are the opposite. Who cares? Why should I even waste my time if I did. I just see a new metal tube and either think, ooh, that's awesome, or not my style.

We also need to band together on diacetyl and diketones. Let's look out for eachother and realize that it's not a witch hunt, at least it shouldn't be, but simply an attempt to try to find a way to make vaping safer.

We are all vapers, let's band together, we already have way too many people on the attack.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Vape what you want, clones or authentics. However I won't stand for people flinging cease and desist orders like Chimpanzees flinging their poop, or mod makers trying to intimidate vapers and reviewers. This is common decency folks, throwing lawyers at people will piss them off.

What we have is a small contingency of mod makers who believe that they can dominate the market by force and threats. This won't make everyone sing kum by ya, no-it will make vapers take notice and want to stop a cartel in the formation phase. We already have one cartel to deal with, big tobacco.

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Clone Wars...what the heck, I thought this was going to be about star wars. Anyhow well said skenzer, good reading and I agree, community needs to get back on track, clones are not going away, has to be a middle ground there.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you vape a clone nemesis, or sport a knock off Gucci wallet, I would think no less of you. However, if you try to pass them off as real and try to sell it to me as such, GTFO.

If you have an authentic mod, or have an authentic designer wallet/bag, but keep making an effort to make sure I know its real, super annoying. Same goes with the clone mod or knock of designer wallet/bag, keep making an effort to tell me how much cheaper and smarter you are for not paying retail, just as annoying, perhaps even more annoying at times.

Bottom line, you have what you have equivalent to your budget and/or preference and enjoy it, so lets leave it at that and talk story about something else, like new juices or new builds ;)

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you vape a clone nemesis, or sport a knock off Gucci wallet, I would think no less of you. However, if you try to pass them off as real and try to sell it to me as such, GTFO.

If you have an authentic mod, or have an authentic designer wallet/bag, but keep making an effort to make sure I know its real, super annoying. Same goes with the clone mod or knock of designer wallet/bag, keep making an effort to tell me how much cheaper and smarter you are for not paying retail, just as annoying, perhaps even more annoying at times.

Bottom line, you have what you have equivalent to your budget and/or preference and enjoy it, so lets leave it at that and talk story about something else, like new juices or new builds ;)
kinda like the folks who drive hybrids and are out to save the world from carbon and carbon dioxide.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
kinda like the folks who drive hybrids and are out to save the world from carbon and carbon dioxide.
Lol. I remember seeing an episode of Top Gear, I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it at least, and they outlined the process of mining the battery contents, shipping them by boat, refining them, shipping them again by boat, and all of the other stuff which had to be shipped around the ocean. The process of building a Prius creates more pollution than most cars do in their average lifespan was what they were getting at. I've never looked it up, but it wouldn't surprise me to be true.

Absintheur

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Vape what you want, clones or authentics. However I won't stand for people flinging cease and desist orders like Chimpanzees flinging their poop, or mod makers trying to intimidate vapers and reviewers. This is common decency folks, throwing lawyers at people will piss them off.

What we have is a small contingency of mod makers who believe that they can dominate the market by force and threats. This won't make everyone sing kum by ya, no-it will make vapers take notice and want to stop a cartel in the formation phase. We already have one cartel to deal with, big tobacco.

All the clone makers need to do is quit copying original artwork from the designers on their counterfeits and the lawsuits will go away...very simple.

Dalton801

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Clones, authentics.. Same shit to me. I have authentics and clones. I will buy what's available to me. I support authentics and clones as well. I think the clone war should be kept to the people who actually make the devices. Not the manufacturers of course, but the people who thought of them and went through all the legal trouble to get them where they are.

If you use clones, good for you.
If you use authentics, good for you.

It's like racism. If you use a clone, I'm against you. It's bullshit.
It's just a peice of metal peoples.
But, I do understand where the makers are coming from, they could loose business to clones due to them being cheaper. But let's leave that battle to them.

skenzer

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all your responses everyone. My intention behind starting this thread were certainly not to contribute to the already heated debate but to encourage everyone to stay civil and vape on.

I posted this over at ECF and the responses I have received over there have been indicative of the very kind of behavior I hate seeing in our community. .I'm done with that forum. VapingUnderground is my home now. People here are helpful and down to earth.

Thanks again for your comments
Cheers

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for all your responses everyone. My intention behind starting this thread were certainly not to contribute to the already heated debate but to encourage everyone to stay civil and vape on.

I posted this over at ECF and the responses I have received over there have been indicative of the very kind of behavior I hate seeing in our community. .I'm done with that forum. VapingUnderground is my home now. People here are helpful and down to earth.

Thanks again for your comments
Cheers
LOL would you expect anything less from that other forum?
The writing on the wall was clear when they Dog piled Drew about the adjustable voltage on the Nhaler.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I feel its nobody's business how or what I spend my money on. I made it and I'll spend it where I like. Clone or authentic. Who the fuck cares as long as you don't smoke. I own both and don't care if some mod maker is butt hurt over that.

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I feel its nobody's business how or what I spend my money on. I made it and I'll spend it where I like. Clone or authentic. Who the fuck cares as long as you don't smoke. I own both and don't care if some mod maker is butt hurt over that.
Some clones fit and finish are equal to or surpass the authentics as well as function.
Being told where and how you spend your money is so unamerican it is not funny.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
god_damnit_this_thread_again.jpg

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How many of these preaching only buy authentic don't apply this to their everyday practice?
Do they only buy name brand Soda, Cereal, Clothing, Gasoline, Food, Etc. Because if they don't they are just hypocrites.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How many of these preaching only buy authentic don't apply this to their everyday practice?
Do they only buy name brand Soda, Cereal, Clothing, Gasoline, Food, Etc. Because if they don't they are just hypocrites.
LOL I know.. There are a few people I know that refuse to go buy at trader joes for the fact it is not "name brand food".. even tho it is often times made in the same plants as the other food but better quality as per the contract.

I buy bulk food every time I go to the food library... Bulk prices for some stuff is 1/4 priced per volume as the packaged smaller amounts... good example from combat shopping last night.. jasmine rice 8.95 a 1.5 lbs bag or bulk 1.25 per lbs. So it does not have a label... give a fuck meter is at zero on that.

I forgot to add I cannot see spending 150+ for a broken flash light, when the same one could be had for a quarter of the cost.

Last edited:

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All the clone makers need to do is quit copying original artwork from the designers on their counterfeits and the lawsuits will go away...very simple.
I'm with you on that. I've got a 1:1 Valkyrie clone without a logo I bought for $25, it is every bit as good as the real deal. I borrowed my buddies authentic to do a side by side test, the clone won because it had slightly bigger post holes for the coils, otherwise they were identical.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I agree, my vaping is my business. Not a mod makers, not the ecf, not anyone's fucking business but mine.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I buy clones because I can afford them. I don't buy authentics because I can't. Simple as that.
The authentic mod makers are not losing my money.

At the end of the day, all I want is a nice looking tube or box that I can put a smaller tube on to vaporize nicotine juice.

That being said, I've converted three people I know to vaping. Best part is that BT now has four less sources of income and my state has four less sources of tax. Vaping is the best way to stick it to the man and that's why the man is freaking out. Vape your fucking face off, encourage and educate others, all the while waving the bird in the establishment's face. Boom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am simple (in many ways so I invite the VU peanut gallery to jump all over this statement).

I purchase what I think will make me vape happy.

And I purchase what I can afford.

Sure I can afford the real stuff which comes (I guess with bragging rights but that just ain't me) with legitimacy?

But I can't afford a LOT of MANY.

Without the Mrs. Killing me when I sleep.

And I like my sleep!

Hat's off to the initiative of the folks that create the original gear.

Get yourself a patent attorney, pay him for the process and once you have the patents get international patents.

Then pay them more to enforce them.

And I totally agree that cloning a device should stop short of cloninig you companies brand an logo as well as markings.

That needs to stop.

But after that, stop picking on the "Little Guys ?" trying to make a living selling usable and more affordable merchandise and serving them both publicly and privatly. Not to mention warning social sites not to mention the dreaded clones!

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like what someone said about buying store brands, its a good comparison, imo. We need inexpensive mods to get more people vaping, but I don't agree with ripping off logos, etc. We do have inexpensive authentics, such as ego, mvp, k100, igo, etc. If you told someone it would cost $300.00 to start vaping, I don't think you would get anywhere fast. Yes, some people can afford these mods and get them usually after they have gotten into vaping and know they like it. I hate to see drama and rifts in our community. I guess it is inevitable as we grow, but we should all encourage each other to keep vaping and fighting against those who are trying to stop us, rather than with each other! When all we have are cigalikes, this is going to seem like a really dumb thing to have put our collective energy into. Just my two cents....

JPop

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Like a lot of people have, I have purchased a few cloned items in the past, and more than likely will in the future. I vape on what ever I think will get me the best vape. If it's a clone (due to prohibitively expensive originals) so be it. I do however have issue with any (and this accounts for most) clone manufacturer(s) that use(s) another company's logos, or duplicate serial numbers. There is a correct way and an incorrect way to "borrow" from the ideas of others. It is done without instance, for the most part, in the music and art community daily. Though I suppose these aren't the best to compare a fast paced, growing, for profit, and ultimately high product turn over industry.

morpheusneo

Member For 4 Years
We all need to remember that there is a difference in a clone (sometimes called a replica) and a counterfeit. I believe that if a company is proud of their work and fully stands behind it they will put their name on their product instead of someone else’s. If you don’t put your own name on something you don’t have to worry as much about safety or quality. There seems to be more and more companies putting their own name(s) on products now, whether it be their name or the name of the product which is very promising. Everyone is in this business for the same reason which is money. Authentic mod makers overprice some mods to make money, they limit what they make to keep supply low and their prices high to make money, VJ connects viewers to “deals” to make money, clone and counterfeit makers copy designs because they know they work and there’s no risk of creating a failures. They also know people want them and they make money.

We all need to drop all the arguing and fighting and put all this time and energy into fighting the right fight which is the federal, state, and local governments. No matter if you vape on an authentic, clone, counterfeit, cigalike, or whatever you use to vape, we all have one huge thing in common…we love to vape and we’re saving our lives and adding years to our lives just by doing something we’ve all fallen in love with…this thing we call vaping. If we don’t fight the right people, we all might not have anything to fight over soon. Sure the deeming regulations are a few years away, but the state and local governments are hitting us hard and might beat the feds to the punch. Soon we all might have to either go back to analogs, use cigalikes, or just flat break the law. I would rather not do any of the three and fight before any laws take away or restrict the way I want to vape. We all need to remember conflict sells and brings lots of attention. Eminem and others have taught us about this. Also, there’s no such thing as bad press. The more conflict there is, the more your name gets out, and the more traffic you get which means you make more money off people visiting your sight and clicking on affiliate links. Let’s just all drop this and fight the right fight.

One last though, I hear people talk about free speech and the freedom of the press. I’ve also heard them talk about them and others getting banned or censored on other forums. Sometimes other forums about the same subject are created to limit the banning and to allow people to say what’s on their mind without being banned or censored. Yet there are people that have been banned from shows by typing things into chat during the show that not nearly as bad as things that are said on the show. Definitely not as bad as the way people talk and the words chosen to say things (meaning if it were on cable, there would have to be lots of editing). You would think there is some type of warning or a temporary ban instead of permanent. I don’t know if it’s a power thing just to be able to ban people when you have your show or if it’s just being hypocritical. I’m just hoping it’s not the latter but sometimes it does seem that way.

VU Sponsors