VU Patreon
Gonna make some aliens. :D

B9X9RQD.jpg

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gonna make some aliens. :D

B9X9RQD.jpg
how long are your decores and your finished sticks of alien? i usually only make two coils at a time, but if i am trying to make more than one or two sets i will make my sticks long enough for three coils. yours look like they are gonna be like 4+ per stick. i love seeing the pics of your bulk work, some of them have helped me speed my own process up a little just trying to imagine how you do it :cheers:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
i love seeing the pics of your bulk work, some of them have helped me speed my own process up a little just trying to imagine how you do it :cheers:

Chefs got 4 drills on the go at once for the claptons (2 foot pedals and both hands) that’s his secret I reckon :D

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
how long are your decores and your finished sticks of alien? i usually only make two coils at a time, but if i am trying to make more than one or two sets i will make my sticks long enough for three coils. yours look like they are gonna be like 4+ per stick. i love seeing the pics of your bulk work, some of them have helped me speed my own process up a little just trying to imagine how you do it :cheers:
Average decore is about 22 inches, and the cores are about 18 inches. The finished sticks are usually around 15 inches, but occasionally longer. I get 3-4 coils out of each, depending on the specs and whether or not I screw up the binding. I get to vape all the screw ups. :bliss:

Chefs got 4 drills on the go at once for the claptons (2 foot pedals and both hands) that’s his secret I reckon :D
:D :D :D

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Big, sharp scissors and a 45 degree angle are your friend in that situation :)

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk
This advice is a God send. I actually just saw that but have been using scissors. The heavy ass kitchen scissors work very well. Keep a file handy so it's always sharp. Lately pay attention to where at on the scissors you make your cut. A few passes with a fine file or an actual sharpening Stone work well and will prevent accidents.

Since I've been on some multi core builds weather it be multi core 3+ staggered fused Clapton or 3 26g tri-core Claptons I get so fucking mad when I short cut the prep. You can get away with it sometimes but like the people here have taught me, spare none in the way of good prep.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ohhhh an angle, good idea!

Mine got caught in my Hair at the end of the fralien, I woulda been so mad if it had happened any earlier. I gotta quit standing up and leaning over like a crazy person, seems to work though so I keep doing it! I made regular 36awg aliens sitting down with the decore coming from over my shoulder, that don't work with mermaid hair wire

Edit: Actually, it might...
I have 3 slipped disks, degenerative disc disease, and have had fractures in my spine. I know that stance well, and it fucking hurts.

Does this bother your back?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have 3 slipped disks, degenerative disc disease, and have had fractures in my spine. I know that stance well, and it fucking hurts.

Does this bother your back?

Well you see, I did have a table and chair set up in the spare bedroom, and that was fine. Now I use a work bench in the garage and it's too high to sit at, so I've been standing, and leaning at very odd angles, but I'll improve that over time

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Is anyone else using the little 4 peg square legos to hold multi core builds flat? Just kinda got lucky and saw someone say it on fb and dam it works really well. I have some other things that hold 3 cores but with the legos I'm able to hold 5+ cores depending on the gauge obviously.
f40d5ba1a58926bb60a0a937b99ac45b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Is anyone else using the little 4 peg square legos to hold multi core builds flat? Just kinda got lucky and saw someone say it on fb and dam it works really well. I have some other things that hold 3 cores but with the legos I'm able to hold 5+ cores depending on the gauge obviously.
f40d5ba1a58926bb60a0a937b99ac45b.jpg

Do you put tape on the other side?

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I've found a drawstring clasp that works amazingly well. I simply could not do a build of more than to cores. I'm up to 6 cores. I need to get more 30g wire.

The best piece of advice I was given about multi core builds was Sherlock hohms saying you have to treat it like a lady. It all made sense. I had to treat it like my highschool sweetheart. Err, I haven't had much luck with the love thing since. Sex yes, but not love.

I'm also very happy with how my alien have been turning out. It's really not that hard. And for dinner odd reason I think multi core fused Claptons are substantially harder that multi core aliens in a sense that the aliens once you start wrapping and it looks fine, so long as your prep work is good your good to go. With 3+ fused Claptons they tend to collapse much much easier.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I've found a drawstring clasp that works amazingly well. I simply could not do a build of more than to cores. I'm up to 6 cores. I need to get more 30g wire.

The best piece of advice I was given about multi core builds was Sherlock hohms saying you have to treat it like a lady. It all made sense. I had to treat it like my highschool sweetheart. Err, I haven't had much luck with the love thing since. Sex yes, but not love.

I'm also very happy with how my alien have been turning out. It's really not that hard. And for dinner odd reason I think multi core fused Claptons are substantially harder that multi core aliens in a sense that the aliens once you start wrapping and it looks fine, so long as your prep work is good your good to go. With 3+ fused Claptons they tend to collapse much much easier.

I've overcame the collapsing but still have trouble with twisting. I hate trying to untwist sticks after wrapping. I've gotten down to only a couple twist but I hope someday soon I can wrap twistless! Lol

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've overcame the collapsing but still have trouble with twisting. I hate trying to untwist sticks after wrapping. I've gotten down to only a couple twist but I hope someday soon I can wrap twistless! Lol

that can result from tension (either on your wrap, or between your drill/swivels). i get it with round wire aliens if i under stretch my decore a little too much. you can just unwind those twists out when you are wrapping up your coils too, you just have to kind of wind the jig through the twists instead of just looping the wire over a stationary jig (aka the normal way).

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I ghetto rigged my dresser as a build station. I wish it was a little higher or a little shorter. My life story LOL

Everything is much easier and better with a swivel set up. Anyone saying otherwise either didn't have a swivel set up have never used one, or if they have used it or tried, it wasn't set up correctly.

Aliens are a fucking breeeeeze with swivles. The only thing you need to worry about it your Strech, or if your into the no Strech method lack thereof.

I will say there is a bit of a learning curve when coming over from freehanding everything.

I was fucking freehanding alien fused Claptons.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

The better the swivels the less mine twist. Also a few drops of actual lubricant help. Juice over time fucks them up.

I see you have raymo clamps. Those are a great idea. Raymo is such a good dude.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The better the swivels the less mine twist. Also a few drops of actual lubricant help. Juice over time fucks them up.

I see you have raymo clamps. Those are a great idea. Raymo is such a good dude.

Yeah I mostly wanted to support Ray. They work great with wide builds the most. This build probably wouldn't off clamped down if the ends didn't have super glue just because the wires a little thicker then the ribbon.
But wider more intricate builds is what they were made for anyways. I just didn't feel like taking them off lol.
I'm pretty sure my swivel game is on point! Lol I've got a krok, reg bearing swivel and then my skate bearing swivel I printed.
11ae94f442a7fc4a0b958cbacbd1b5cb.jpg

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks I really appreciate that. I was looking at the pic thinking there was to many mess ups! Lol but I get 95% of the bad spots to lay down and look good with my dipped pliers. Couldn't find any good nylon ones locally.
bc230231b1d4f0b2fb78cff8ba6551a7.jpg

I love the tips you just gave out. I've been kinda not getting in here because there are so many ass holes now. This place used to be so fucking cool and helpful.

I guess stop straying away from the builders corner. There's just too much bullshit to go wandering.

This is like the forums upper class Hollywood neighborhood, the rest of the forum is like the ghetto in Compton.

That Lego tip, genius. I've been really working on my core count. Trying to get as many cores on place, either alien it just really clean fused multi core builds are what I've been into.

I also stopped learning new builds until I get the ones I've learned to perfection. And from there on out I'll learn one at a time and perfect that.

Thanks Jason, you've always been super helpful. Always been a real cool dude.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I love the tips you just gave out. I've been kinda not getting in here because there are so many ass holes now. This place used to be so fucking cool and helpful.

I guess stop straying away from the builders corner. There's just too much bullshit to go wandering.

This is like the forums upper class Hollywood neighborhood, the rest of the forum is like the ghetto in Compton.

That Lego tip, genius. I've been really working on my core count. Trying to get as many cores on place, either alien it just really clean fused multi core builds are what I've been into.

I also stopped learning new builds until I get the ones I've learned to perfection. And from there on out I'll learn one at a time and perfect that.

Thanks Jason, you've always been super helpful. Always been a real cool dude.

Thanks man I really apprichate that. I try to help out when I can or tag someone that knows better then I do.
Normally I only go too 3 threads and that's bonkers and the daily mixing thread and check in here once in awhile as well. I used to go all over but there was just to many snobs. Lol but 90% of members are awesome.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ran out of 26, 28, 30. Had 24 left that's it. This is a 2x36 alien fused.

It's mad rabbit low resistance. That coil is .13 not a bad single coil vape at all. I don't like how when I hit SS the resistance rises due to heat. It's just not my kind of vape. I'm do used to Nichrome. And, mad rabbit labels this as 24, it's much bigger that 24g o had to run it through the drill a few times with my plyers to make the diameter smaller. That actually worked pretty good. The alien wrap didn't want to last right, but it's good enough.

Im trying to get into the habit of if you use one you make 3 or 4 That way I'm flush. I hate not having multiple options. Sometimes and honestly just of the time I like 4x28 x 36. I am going to do that build soon but I'm trying to get as small as I can with wrapping wire.
22436e69e38c9c0007ddb991a4fde254.jpg

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Some fraliens for the mech squonk... if I remember correctly I used 26g... could have been 27g but I think 26 since I was trying to keep resistance low

4(.5x.1k)
2(26k)
36n80 alien - 4.5 3mm wraps - between .11-.13ohms. Really can’t remember lol

bcee994db63b609c1dd437e1d3b1406e.jpg
bfec646859ab977c5eaa0f8cc24e28ac.jpg
dece8500ff9265d6dcc1771f1997bae1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah I mostly wanted to support Ray. They work great with wide builds the most. This build probably wouldn't off clamped down if the ends didn't have super glue just because the wires a little thicker then the ribbon.
But wider more intricate builds is what they were made for anyways. I just didn't feel like taking them off lol.
I'm pretty sure my swivel game is on point! Lol I've got a krok, reg bearing swivel and then my skate bearing swivel I printed.
11ae94f442a7fc4a0b958cbacbd1b5cb.jpg

You have the same kind of table clamp I use :D I've no 3D spinner though, I just hook a bunch of swivels towards the top of the clamp arm thing - or bottom if I put my drill on the side

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A word on Aliens (with round wire cores anyway).
I see all kinds of tips and tricks for the "proper" way to spin Alien coils. Sliders, legos (good tip btw lol), hot glue, super glue, tape, proper stretching of decore, and the list goes on. Let me impart to everyone what I discovered after 2 years of trying all this stuff and failing. The keys to my success was not fancy swiss needle bearing clamps or any other McGyver equipment or methods. Here it goes: first; spin a PEFECT Clapton in the opposite direction you're gonna spin the Alien. If you can't spin a PERFECT Clapton; master that first. "How long of a decore do I spin?" Who cares?! A long one! Stretch your decore. Less is more here folks. The less you stretch, the cleaner the spin. Next: try not making such a long stick at one time. I take one wrap of core wire off the spool at a time (3 of em for standard and Mohawk Aliens). That's about 6-7 inches. Much easier to manage. Length will come with successful experience. Then straighten your cores and prep, prep, prep. Check it, double check it and check it all over again. I use a hobby vise and 3 series swivels. Buy good ones, or don't attempt Aliens. These are not Fused Claptons. Smooth swivels are cheap, even for good ones, and make your life easier. Then chuck your wires. Tightly. Then prep, prep, prep again. Make sure wires are flat out of the chuck. Smooth jaw (no teeth) pliers help with this. Slide your fingers down the length of your cores to align them, and insert into your swivel.

Last edited:

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Put a little rearward pressure with the drill. Not a lot. Lastly; GRIP, GRIP, GRIP! How tightly you grip your decore between your fingers allows secure spinning and core alignment. Too tight of a grip causes core wire twisting and other difficulties. Experiment with the GRIP. If the grip is correct, the Alien will wrap itself regardless of the number of cores. Without twisting or other errors. The more cores, the lighter the decore grip. I spin 5 core "Pentaliens" full speed on an 18 volt Dewalt drill, without tape, glue, or legos (no offense to previous posts). It's prep and grip. Nothing else. The overarching point here is, start slow, be patient, find what gives you successful results, and master it! If legos work for you; then that's the proper way for you to spin Alien wire! There are many wonderful, helpful, and umm, odd tips in this forum. This is mine. Thank you all as always. *steps off soapbox*

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Trying to make squaliens :slowclap:
I feel like I'm cheating and it's not going to work because I bound up the two stacks with fine gauge wire, I can't figure out how to get them to stay straight and not go inside themselves otherwise, anyone know?

Screenshot_20180325-204058-810x1440.png

I don't even know the math either, I tried 32 and 26 decores, 32 has a more square look...

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trying to make squaliens :slowclap:
I feel like I'm cheating and it's not going to work because I bound up the two stacks with fine gauge wire, I can't figure out how to get them to stay straight and not go inside themselves otherwise, anyone know?

View attachment 107257

I don't even know the math either, I tried 32 and 26 decores, 32 has a more square look...
i think it was @Whiskeywarrior who brought us the squalien. i havnt seen one of his builds in ages, not even sure if he still hangs around here or not.

edit - forgot to mention i have never tried it and have no idea how to help :p hopefully @Whiskeywarrior is still around enough to catch a notification and pop in. all his builds were next level shit from what i remember. would love to see him come back.

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i think it was @Whiskeywarrior who brought us the squalien. i havnt seen one of his builds in ages, not even sure if he still hangs around here or not.

edit - forgot to mention i have never tried it and have no idea how to help :p hopefully @Whiskeywarrior is still around enough to catch a notification and pop in. all his builds were next level shit from what i remember. would love to see him come back.

I bet you he didnt use two staples lined up side by side, because it is IMPOSSIBLE to wrap...or is it? Perhaps he knows lol

Sure does look cool...this is with a 26 awg decore, one wave per side, got to be a different core setup though, like 5x.5 or something, maybe I will try 3x.3 next time
Screenshot_20180325-220619~2.png

@mach1ne Found his squalien, it was 4 ply .2x.8 :eek:

I am really, really glad I tried to wrap this before making any more decores for it. I would have lost my mind when I'd gotten it nice and clean and then it wobbled like a retarded snake on steroids when I started wrapping a coil

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah i think if you could stack 2x2 28 you could just do the same thing you would if you were making 2x28 (30 decore). might be able to get a ribbon slider to hold them square, or two of those drawstring clamps (one for sides one for top/bottom). let us know how it goes :cheers: that double staple squalien looks like it would be a crazy vape (and a potential tragedy on the coil jig:sad:).

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
yeah i think if you could stack 2x2 28 you could just do the same thing you would if you were making 2x28 (30 decore). might be able to get a ribbon slider to hold them square, or two of those drawstring clamps (one for sides one for top/bottom). let us know how it goes :cheers: that double staple squalien looks like it would be a crazy vape (and a potential tragedy on the coil jig:sad:).
Wouldn't 4x28 require a 26g decore no matter how they're stacked? At least that's what I'd think, that or 28. I just don't see how 4x28 could have the same surface area as 2x28.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Put a little rearward pressure with the drill. Not a lot. Lastly; GRIP, GRIP, GRIP! How tightly you grip your decore between your fingers allows secure spinning and core alignment. Too tight of a grip causes core wire twisting and other difficulties. Experiment with the GRIP. If the grip is correct, the Alien will wrap itself regardless of the number of cores. Without twisting or other errors. The more cores, the lighter the decore grip. I spin 5 core "Pentaliens" full speed on an 18 volt Dewalt drill, without tape, glue, or legos (no offense to previous posts). It's prep and grip. Nothing else. The overarching point here is, start slow, be patient, find what gives you successful results, and master it! If legos work for you; then that's the proper way for you to spin Alien wire! There are many wonderful, helpful, and umm, odd tips in this forum. This is mine. Thank you all as always. *steps off soapbox*
Out of curiosity what gauges do you normally wrap? Got any pics of your wrapping skills? Coil porn always accepted and appreciated.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wouldn't 4x28 require a 26g decore no matter how they're stacked? At least that's what I'd think, that or 28. I just don't see how 4x28 could have the same surface area as 2x28.

when you do 2x28 you would use a 30 decore. im pretty sure that each side of a 2x2 stack of 28 would be equivalent to that. was just a theory though, like i said i have never tried a squalien. theres a lot of room within the typical alien math, so 30 or 26 might both work if the stars aligned :cheers:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I tried some math last night, and used both a 26 decore and a 32 decore for the .6x.6 core, and they both worked! Well, I mean when they worked, they worked - the 32 decore was just more wavy

Actually, the 26 looks better

Screenshot_20180325-205702.png

Screenshot_20180325-204058.png

The tragedy lol, every tiny bend made it flip out, maybe wrapping it flatways woulda worked but after I started, it was too late
Screenshot_20180326-091239-540x960.png

Last edited:

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The first 2 were 5 core "Pentalien" and a Staged Alien. Here is a dual Mohawk. View attachment 107293

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ Dumbphone using Tapatalk
Looks good! The methods for holding cores together though is more for smaller gauges. When I'm wrapping 24g-28g I don't normally use anything but a drill and swivels. But when I'm doing a 5x28g or 4x30 I use legos or paper clips.
Also when doing smaller lengths like 6" it's much easier but I'd much rather do 12" with help and get 4 coils instead of 2.
But to each there own and what ever gets it done imo. I think when someone's first starting to wrap aliens they should use as many helpers as needed as long as they get the technique down.
Aliens in the pics are all 24g x3 or 26g x3 and were wrapped with just a drill and swivels.
180b8252f929f7f95c25e90717364838.jpg
edd3f8e604cefb4f02135af4cdc5a500.jpg
0e4ba3b5ab93a0e1e569f58fdc3e711f.jpg

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I tried some math last night, and used both a 26 decore and a 32 decore for the .6x.6 core, and they both worked! Well, I mean when they worked, they worked - the 32 decore was just more wavy

Actually, the 26 looks better

View attachment 107294

View attachment 107295

The tragedy lol, every tiny bend made it flip out, maybe wrapping it flatways woulda worked but after I started, it was too late
View attachment 107296
You'll nail it Meg. I've seen how clean your work is. I'm a believer!:banana:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Looks good! The methods for holding cores together though is more for smaller gauges. When I'm wrapping 24g-28g I don't normally use anything but a drill and swivels. But when I'm doing a 5x28g or 4x30 I use legos or paper clips.
Also when doing smaller lengths like 6" it's much easier but I'd much rather do 12" with help and get 4 coils instead of 2.
But to each there own and what ever gets it done imo. I think when someone's first starting to wrap aliens they should use as many helpers as needed as long as they get the technique down.
Aliens in the pics are all 24g x3 or 26g x3 and were wrapped with just a drill and swivels.
180b8252f929f7f95c25e90717364838.jpg
edd3f8e604cefb4f02135af4cdc5a500.jpg
0e4ba3b5ab93a0e1e569f58fdc3e711f.jpg

Great photos! The last one looks like a BEAST!! Very nice.

VU Sponsors