In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thank you for the enlightening suggestion ?‍♂️

View attachment 170880

Some shots before dry-burning, and confused what to learn next. Perhaps keep grinding the aliens until perfection ???
I’d say they are spot on too, I’d be stoked with that build congrats ???

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thank you, dear sir ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Another gratitude for your enlightening ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Currently brainstorming on what to do next LoL

framed staple builds next ?....then combine that with an alien ....welcome to the best vaping coil out there the fralien! well imo anyway

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
framed staple builds next ?....then combine that with an alien ....welcome to the best vaping coil out there the fralien! well imo anyway
In direct comparison to fraliens, I get better flavor from a stapled helix build with 32g for making the twisted frames, .3×.1 for the ribbon stack, and 40g correctly matching the angle in each groove of the twisted frames.

stapled helix strand.jpg

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, and as weird as this may sound and seem like a no-brainer...make sure to breathe regularly or at least on some pattern. From experience and hearing from other people, when you’re spinning out what looks to be the perfect Coil, I’ll bet good money that you start holding your breath...which is all well and good if you can finish the stick while holding your breath, but if you end up needing to take a breath after holding it...that’s more than likely the spot on the wire that you’ll jack up.

How dare you incinerate that I don’t know how to use big words!
Lol I've done this. I start feeling nervous sometimes and breathing lightly or holding my breathe even. I get tired of wrapping sometimes and instead of taking a break, I push forward. My arm twitches and then I screw up.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tried a new kind of fralien coil that I hadn't tried before. I've tried using .3 ribbon a couple times before this and hate it. I can't tell if they're stacked the right way when getting it set up. I have to double check it and triple check it. It's just so small for my eyes I guess. Anyways I thought using a stack of six would be easier and it's really not.

2x28 +(6×.3)/38 N80
20201012_110421(1).jpg

Here's my usual fralien coils 2x26+ 4x.4/36-
20201012_110350(1).jpg
I sometimes use .5 ribbon for those. It makes it a bit easier to prep. That darned .3 stuff makes me mad really. I'm sure there's little tricks to help set it up. I think I just need some glasses or magnification.

Some smaller 3x28/38 SS aliens-

20201012_110621.jpg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
In direct comparison to fraliens, I get better flavor from a stapled helix build with 32g for making the twisted frames, .3×.1 for the ribbon stack, and 40g correctly matching the angle in each groove of the twisted frames.

View attachment 170985
Also up there agree ...easier to make too

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I tried a new kind of fralien coil that I hadn't tried before. I've tried using .3 ribbon a couple times before this and hate it. I can't tell if they're stacked the right way when getting it set up. I have to double check it and triple check it. It's just so small for my eyes I guess. Anyways I thought using a stack of six would be easier and it's really not.

2x28 +(6×.3)/38 N80
View attachment 170996

Here's my usual fralien coils 2x26+ 4x.4/36-
View attachment 170995
I sometimes use .5 ribbon for those. It makes it a bit easier to prep. That darned .3 stuff makes me mad really. I'm sure there's little tricks to help set it up. I think I just need some glasses or magnification.

Some smaller 3x28/38 SS aliens-
Frank looks like cores have collapsed in some of these, what prep do you do, could just be lhe light in the photos?

0.3 is a ballache, 0.4 is ok though have you got that? ..edit scratch that just read the second pic notes <yes you do> ?

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Frank looks like cores have collapsed in some of these, what prep do you do, could just be lhe light in the photos?

0.3 is a ballache, 0.4 is ok though have you got that? ..edit scratch that just read the second pic notes <yes you do> ?
I see what you mean now, thanks! I think it happened from the way I wrapped them around my jig. I was careless but learned what not to do.

For prep I measure my ribbon and wire in two foot lengths and bend them in half after going through my swivel. First ribbon, I may use a few drops of water to help them stay together. I bind them together with a scrap piece of wire or ribbon. Then I put the frame in place and try to carefully get a slider around everything. Once I got that done I move the ribbon slider down towards the end and position the wire in place. I run my fingers over everything watching to make sure the ribbon stack is staying upright and not going sideways. I glue that end and put it in my drill.

I looked at them just now and one side it looks like a frame popped out of where it should be. The other side looks normal. I'm pretty sure that somethings not right and that it came from holding my stick right at the very end of it and just winding it around my jig from that far away. I make em 11-12" or 30cm long. Thank you for mentioning something.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I see what you mean now, thanks! I think it happened from the way I wrapped them around my jig. I was careless but learned what not to do.

For prep I measure my ribbon and wire in two foot lengths and bend them in half after going through my swivel. First ribbon, I may use a few drops of water to help them stay together. I bind them together with a scrap piece of wire or ribbon. Then I put the frame in place and try to carefully get a slider around everything. Once I got that done I move the ribbon slider down towards the end and position the wire in place. I run my fingers over everything watching to make sure the ribbon stack is staying upright and not going sideways. I glue that end and put it in my drill.

I looked at them just now and one side it looks like a frame popped out of where it should be. The other side looks normal. I'm pretty sure that somethings not right and that it came from holding my stick right at the very end of it and just winding it around my jig from that far away. I make em 11-12" or 30cm long. Thank you for mentioning something.
It is why I prefer to use 29g for the frames instead of 28g. And use a rolling pin before I coil it up, which makes it feel a tad less springy when I wrap it up.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Could try going for a slightly shorter length? Don’t know how many wraps you want from a pair of coils mind, shorter the length though less twisting you get toward the middle of it which helps keep it all in check 12” sounds ok though

twisting is almost certainly the main cause of this, that and too much tension on the lead, or the frames haven’t got even tension both side between drill and the swivel... I found anyway if that helps?

finally it can come out perfect then you twist it when it comes to wrapping them ...forgot this one but I’ve done it a few times myself ...painful and always ends up in a rant...wrapping part requires a technique all in itself which I don’t think was covered here so far?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
finally it can come out perfect then you twist it when it comes to wrapping them ...forgot this one but I’ve done it a few times myself ...painful and always ends up in a rant...wrapping part requires a technique all in itself which I don’t think was covered here so far?
Yeah, I think this is what happened. Ill be paying more attention next time and wrap them carefully around my jig. I just wrapped them like they were regular round wire this time. I don't know what I was thinking. It's very evident in this one-
20201012_110350(1)~2.jpg

Here's my first Fralien I ever made. I remember wrapping it with my hand way closer to the jig and how stiff it felt-
20200713_153459-jpg.164833

Somewhere along the way, I forgot the basics on wrapping frailens around a jig. At least that's what I'm thinking. Ill try to be more meticulous about everything next time. I'm really glad you said something.

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Basically I covered it here some moments ago. :giggle:

yeah but the actual doing part of wrapping it I mean ...there’s a way to do it without deforming the structure ...was a vid or post somewhere describing technique sure of it?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yeah, I think this is what happened. Ill be paying more attention next time and wrap them carefully around my jig. I just wrapped them like they were regular round wire this time. I don't know what I was thinking. It's very evident in this one-
View attachment 171060

Here's my first Fralien I ever made. I remember wrapping it with my hand way closer to the jig and how stiff it felt-
20200713_153459-jpg.164833

Somewhere along the way, I forgot the basics on wrapping frailens around a jig. At least that's what I'm thinking. Ill try to be more meticulous about everything next time. I'm really glad you said something.
That’ll be it then that bottom one came out perfect ???

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yeah but the actual doing part of wrapping it I mean ...there’s a way to do it without deforming the structure ...was a vid or post somewhere describing technique sure of it?
Found it.

EDIT: I believe it's essentially the same principle as what's shown after 17:58 in this fishtail braid video tutorial:

Last edited:

CoCoMo

Member For 4 Years

Thank you for your suggestion ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

I'm still meddling with some issues though. For current personal target, I'm aiming at 20 inches of perfectly wrapped aliens. Most of the time, I messed up approx. 10 inches. Mostly it appears to be overstretched/overtensioned ???

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thank you for your suggestion ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

I'm still meddling with some issues though. For current personal target, I'm aiming at 20 inches of perfectly wrapped aliens. Most of the time, I messed up approx. 10 inches. Mostly it appears to be overstretched/overtensioned ???
Sure thing build whatever makes you happy and gaining the sense of achievement getting it done, what it’s all about really for hobby builders anyway

....out of interest why that particular target?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Found it.

EDIT: I believe it's essentially the same principle as what's shown after 17:58 in this fishtail braid video tutorial:
cool thanks caram ?

CoCoMo

Member For 4 Years
Sure thing build whatever makes you happy and gaining the sense of achievement getting it done, what it’s all about really for hobby builders anyway

....out of interest why that particular target?

Currently I'm running a small vape shop, and I sell coils I made, mostly fused clapton and alien. Sometimes, I have to make bunch of it to make sure they're ready for customers. That's why I'm aiming at 20 inches (which will provide me with at least 3 coils. At some good build sessions, I get the most of it, 4 coils/2 pairs)

???

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just learned about zoom attachments for phone cameras. Somebody on Reddit said I should get one and I agree. Until then I looked around the house for something to magnify. We found a BB scope lol. I took the end off of it and tried some photos holding it to my camera lol.

Here's some different fraliens I made-
20201022_142720.jpg
20201022_142902.jpg
20201022_142925.jpg
20201023_144613.jpg

It's crazy to see my coils magnified. I can see things that I can't really with the naked eye (my naked eye? lol).

I put one in an Elder Dragon.
20201023_175749.jpg
20201023_180917.jpg

This photo tripped me out. Look in the seams where I wrapped it around my jig.
20201023_181431.jpg

Does juice collect there for whatever reason? If so, I've never noticed before. Maybe it was from me dripping. I don't remember. I'll have to take some more photos and investigate.
20201023_175950.jpg
20201023_175809.jpg

CoCoMo

Member For 4 Years
I just learned about zoom attachments for phone cameras. Somebody on Reddit said I should get one and I agree. Until then I looked around the house for something to magnify. We found a BB scope lol. I took the end off of it and tried some photos holding it to my camera lol.

Here's some different fraliens I made-
View attachment 171881
View attachment 171882
View attachment 171883
View attachment 171884

It's crazy to see my coils magnified. I can see things that I can't really with the naked eye (my naked eye? lol).

I put one in an Elder Dragon.
View attachment 171885
View attachment 171886

This photo tripped me out. Look in the seams where I wrapped it around my jig.
View attachment 171887

Does juice collect there for whatever reason? If so, I've never noticed before. Maybe it was from me dripping. I don't remember. I'll have to take some more photos and investigate.
View attachment 171888
View attachment 171889
Nice fralien there ???

Currently been crazy-@$$ busy jumble-bumbling with ribbons in attempt to make one

A simple request of enlightenment, is it possible to alien-wrap a framed staple with no-stretch method? Been trying it, and it just easily collapsed, way easier than prepping it???

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice fralien there ???

Currently been crazy-@$$ busy jumble-bumbling with ribbons in attempt to make one

A simple request of enlightenment, is it possible to alien-wrap a framed staple with no-stretch method? Been trying it, and it just easily collapsed, way easier than prepping it???
The first time I tried to make an alien coil, I used the no stretch method. It was a disaster. I've never tried it again. Maybe when I get more confidence I'll give it another shot. I still get a bit anxious alien wrapping anything. I have a pretty good idea on when to stop stretching de cores. It's been working well for me just stretching them out.

VU Sponsors