Become a Patron!

Thinking about finally dropping nic

Enpsyclopedia

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I successfully quit cigarettes with vaping in 2014. I made some nic transitions over the years, but have been at 3mg since 2018. How hard will it be to drop the 3mg and start using zero? What should expect? Any tips and or relations from experience are welcome.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Maybe try dropping down to 2mg or 1.5mg for a month or two and see how that works out. Then do the zero. If you DIY it is easy to make juice at those levels. If you don't, buy zero and 3mg of the same flavors and mix them together. That would make 1.5mg.

@Teresa P went down to zero and now has actually quit vaping all together. Maybe she has some insight for you. There are others here at zero, but I don't have enough coffee in me to remember...:D

Good luck on your journey to being nic free!

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I have been vaping since 2014 and successfully quit cigarettes- I started at 24 nic and have worked my way from 3 nic to zero nic in the last year. I am vaping zero nic with no cravings for nic at all or cigarettes for many months now. I use my favorite flavors at zero nic and never noticed any withdrawl symptoms.
I am around cigarette smoke all the time and never felt the urge to go back to smoking even with zero nic eliquids.
I am not planning on quitting vaping as I enjoy the flavors and stocked up my cabinet as there is now a total flavor ban on eliquids in NY.

Enpsyclopedia

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been vaping since 2014 and successfully quit cigarettes- I started at 24 nic and have worked my way from 3 nic to zero nic in the last year. I am vaping zero nic with no cravings for nic at all or cigarettes for many months now. I use my favorite flavors at zero nic and never noticed any withdrawl symptoms.
I am around cigarette smoke all the time and never felt the urge to go back to smoking even with zero nic eliquids.
I am not planning on quitting vaping as I enjoy the flavors and stocked up my cabinet as there is now a total flavor ban on eliquids in NY.
I will keep this in mind. Is the zero going to make me cough more if I am not used to no nic?

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I will keep this in mind. Is the zero going to make me cough more if I am not used to no nic?

I never cough at all, lol- Not having any nic is less harsh, no throat hit- even at 3 nic, some juice was harsh with the throat hit , and would occasionally cough.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Just try buying some of your favorite flavor juice at zero nic and give it a try- you could always mix your 3 nic with the zero to make 1.5 nic.
I wanted to get that nic monkey off my back, knowing that NY was banning eliquids as well as US Deeming Regulations that will hit all vapers in the US in September- for long term eliquid storage no nic is best with no oxidation of nic.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
zero nic user here too.. @gopher_byrd knows what he is talking about.. 1% step downs work.
I went from 3mg to 0mg (OMG!) New years, after vaping for almost 10yrs, 11 in May of next year. No regrets and in fact, after 5 mo now, my blood pressure is fine, I sleep good.. it works :)

I would suggest keeping some nic juice around, just like with cigs.. if you find yourself craving anything.. one time hitting helps.. but you will find yourself reaching for zero nic juice more often. The flavors will taste clearer too.. :) I wish you the best!

Enpsyclopedia

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
zero nic user here too.. @gopher_byrd knows what he is talking about.. 1% step downs work.
I went from 3mg to 0mg (OMG!) New years, after vaping for almost 10yrs, 11 in May of next year. No regrets and in fact, after 5 mo now, my blood pressure is fine, I sleep good.. it works :)

I would suggest keeping some nic juice around, just like with cigs.. if you find yourself craving anything.. one time hitting helps.. but you will find yourself reaching for zero nic juice more often. The flavors will taste clearer too.. :) I wish you the best!
Thank you m!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Based on the fact that people who are never-vapers and who quit cold turkey more than a whole decade ago are often still experiencing cravings today, I fear that going zero nic only increases the potential risk of a relapse back to smoking. For some, one short moment of weakness is all it really takes to relapse, and, vaping at only 3mg is what completely eliminates those moments before they happen so, because I don't see how vaping at 3mg could be much worse than, for example, drinking coffee, I have no intention to go too far below 3mg. The stress and nervousness resulting from cravings causes more bad things to people's health.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Based on the fact that people who are never-vapers and who quit cold turkey more than a whole decade ago are often still experiencing cravings today, I fear that going zero nic only increases the potential risk of a relapse back to smoking.

Some folks.. just are not ready. When you are, you will know.. :)

This is why I say, do keep a bottle of low nic juice. a few tokes on a dripper helps those cravings, without going back to smoking or using nic salts.. it's just not needed.
For some, one short moment of weakness is all it really takes to relapse, and, vaping at only 3mg is what completely eliminates those moments before they happen so, because I don't see how vaping at 3mg could be much worse than, for example, drinking coffee, I have no intention to go too far below 3mg. The stress and nervousness resulting from cravings causes more bad things to people's health.

Again.. 11 yrs of vaping.. and there is not much difference between 3mg and 0mg... until you have at least a few months out. Then a toke on 3mg... helps. I am living proof!

Enpsyclopedia

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

This is why I say, do keep a bottle of low nic juice. a few tokes on a dripper helps those cravings, without going back to smoking or using nic salts.. it's just not needed.

Again.. 11 yrs of vaping.. and there is not much difference between 3mg and 0mg... until you have at least a few months out. Then a toke on 3mg... helps. I am living proof!
Thanks @smokeyblue
@Carambrda thanks, but that is a bit discouraging for me at this time.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks @smokeyblue
@Carambrda thanks, but that is a bit discouraging for me at this time.

You do have to have the right mindset, it is not for those that get scared easy, and you have to know what your stress signals are. Mind over matter, and if you do not mind... I matter ;)

One step at a time, be patient if you slip up.. forgive yourself.. but know you can keep moving on. Just like with other lifestyle changes, you will know when you are ready, and when you need help :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nah. I just don't need or want to know... because, people relapsing back to smoking after going zero nic is purely a common observation, a simple fact in which readiness plays no part.
I stopped smoking three years and a half ago, instantly and without any cravings, by vaping exclusively on an RDA. Never was a dual user, and, went from something between 4.5 and 5mg down to 3mg in just about two months and a half or so. All the negativity that surrounds nic use is just that, negativity, which also is bad for health, by mere definition alone. It is the utterly unfounded worrying and the genuine obsession about it that is just not needed.
I have witnessed enough living proof everywhere around me to know for a fact that going zero nic can trigger a relapse back to smoking indeed. (Even, after more than a whole decade.)

For me, vaping has become a pleasant hobby. From a purely scientific point of view, what you are trying to suggest almost compares to stop eating vegetables because there are pesticides involved with that.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I successfully quit cigarettes with vaping in 2014. I made some nic transitions over the years, but have been at 3mg since 2018. How hard will it be to drop the 3mg and start using zero? What should expect? Any tips and or relations from experience are welcome.
Drop that 3mg down to 1.5 - I think you'll be surprised at how little you notice the difference. I actually vaped at 1.5mg for about a year before deciding to try nic-free due to blood pressure issues. It was a very smooth transition, much easier than even I thought it would be.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@gopher_byrd @Teresa P That is really a great tip :cheers:. For a person who prefers buying premade juice like me (I know it's not cheap but I love trying new flavours ?), do you guys have any tips to reduce the nicotine strength from these premade juice?
Well, not that it's any cheaper, but buying another bottle of the same flavor in a 0mg and combining it with the previous bottle will cut your nic strength in half. 6mg will become 3mg, 3mg would become 1.5mg, 1.5mg would be .75mg, etc. I made my own almost as soon as I started vaping so it was easier to customize for myself.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
EASY ..
VAPE ONLY ICKEY stuff.
I suggest ya start with TFA DX sweet cream STRIGHT.
i got as far as opening the bottle and
1594301345086.png never again.

VU Sponsors