Become a Patron!

Third party age verification

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
I'm upside down trying to figure out who to use, everyone wants a phone conversation, and I don't want to get suckered into a bad company.

Any suggestions on who to use? I'm in Texas.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi Ashlie, Welcome to VU, What are you trying to find??
I'm assuming, Ashlie is thinking of an online age verification system, in order to avoid selling products to minors, or under aged people online.

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
Correct Neunerball. Exactly what I meant. Sorry, I probably shouldn't research while my brain is half awake lol

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I would try to do most of my research online, utilizing Google search. I did a search for "online age verification software" and got plenty of hits, in order to do some research. However, before making a decision, you need to spend some thought on how this software is integrated with your website, which can vary depending on where and how you setup your domain (the address and server for your website).

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
I would try to do most of my research online, utilizing Google search. I did a search for "online age verification software" and got plenty of hits, in order to do some research. However, before making a decision, you need to spend some thought on how this software is integrated with your website, which can vary depending on where and how you setup your domain (the address and server for your website).
Yeah, I've emailed 6 companies now for more information. 2 have called me back, one was going to cost me nearly $900 a month, when I barely pull in $200 a week. I'm just checking to see if there's a general company that many use.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
To be honest, I've never heard of an actual verification site for vape products. All the sites I buy/visit, have a pop up requiring you to say you are 18+ or not.

Any kid could buy a throw away visa card to buy vape stuff. No way those third parties could actually verify age via DL or other forms of ID without you losing every potential customer. I wouldn't waste my time with it for an vendor, and I am well past 18.

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
Yes. New state regulations are requiring it, in Texas, and Mass. Now too.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
@Ashlie Gantt I know Spyglass is in TX they may be able to help you

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I've emailed 6 companies now for more information. 2 have called me back, one was going to cost me nearly $900 a month, when I barely pull in $200 a week. I'm just checking to see if there's a general company that many use.

IMHO, those, providing this service are more for large companies (banks, health insurance, etc.), that can afford this kind of price tag. Out of curiosity, I was doing some research myself. I doubt there's something out there for a small business. The only thing you can do, in order to protect yourself, is to store the provided age within your order's record.

Incredivapes.com

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK, I have heard from several that this age verification is required, yet I have found absolutely no evidence there is any such law mandating this. Can someone lead me in the direction where I can see these laws? I find it incredibly senseless to have that annoying popup on my site as anyone can say they are of age. It is a mindless annoyance for people when there is no logical reason for it. If a person under 18 wants to buy it, they will simply say they are 18. This goofy request is nothing short of stupid.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It depends what jurisdiction you are in. Some areas have passed onerous age verification legislation, failing to obtain verification can lead to civil penalties and in some areas, incarceration. This is the way the antz are attacking vaping, by making it a big hassle to buy. People will simply go to other sites without the age verification requirements. There is no way in hell I will put my drivers license # on an online site, that's just ringing the dinner bell for scammers and identity thieves.

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
OK, I have heard from several that this age verification is required, yet I have found absolutely no evidence there is any such law mandating this. Can someone lead me in the direction where I can see these laws? I find it incredibly senseless to have that annoying popup on my site as anyone can say they are of age. It is a mindless annoyance for people when there is no logical reason for it. If a person under 18 wants to buy it, they will simply say they are 18. This goofy request is nothing short of stupid.
Texas SB97. Goes into effect Oct 1. Mass just passed via a Commonwealth vote to pretty much do the same thing, which goes into effect Sept 25. (They are also enforcing 3rd party testing of child proof bottles as well, beginning next year)

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
It depends what jurisdiction you are in. Some areas have passed onerous age verification legislation, failing to obtain verification can lead to civil penalties and in some areas, incarceration. This is the way the antz are attacking vaping, by making it a big hassle to buy. People will simply go to other sites without the age verification requirements. There is no way in hell I will put my drivers license # on an online site, that's just ringing the dinner bell for scammers and identity thieves.
I completely agree. It's ridiculous. Plus, one must sign and show ID for said order as well when it's delivered. Texas offered a work around which requires businesses to have a signed agreement form and copy of DL on file for 4 years instead of all the 3rd party and signing for crap, which was fine, but seems other states want to push the 3rd party age check instead. 99% of my orders, are people I know, that are in groups on FB that I'm in. I already know they're 18+. Lol, but, I don't want to risk the fines for not obiding by the law.

Incredivapes.com

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow, just read Texas SB97 and it will prevent most online retailers from selling to people in Texas. The burdensome shipping requirements will be too much and the cost will be far too high. I will meet with others who are involved and we may have to stick with just our wholesale version. Very sad that ignorance of vaping has such a stronghold.

Incredivapes.com

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Besides the shipping requirements, here are their reporting guidelines:
Sec. 161.456. REGISTRATION AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS. (a)
A person may not make a delivery sale or ship cigarettes or vapor
products in connection with a delivery sale unless the person first
files with the comptroller a statement that includes:
(1) the person's name and trade name; and
(2) the address of the person's principal place of
business and any other place of business, and the person's
telephone number and e-mail address.
(b) Not later than the 10th day of each month, each person
who has made a delivery sale or shipped or delivered cigarettes or
vapor products in connection with a delivery sale during the
previous month shall file with the comptroller a memorandum or a
copy of the invoice that provides for each delivery sale:
(1) the name, address, telephone number, and e-mail
address of the individual to whom the delivery sale was made;
(2) the brand or brands of the cigarettes or vapor
products that were sold; and
(3) the quantity of cigarettes or vapor products that
were sold.

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
Besides the shipping requirements, here are their reporting guidelines:
Sec. 161.456. REGISTRATION AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS. (a)
A person may not make a delivery sale or ship cigarettes or vapor
products in connection with a delivery sale unless the person first
files with the comptroller a statement that includes:
(1) the person's name and trade name; and
(2) the address of the person's principal place of
business and any other place of business, and the person's
telephone number and e-mail address.
were sold.
Yeah, it's stupid.. But at least they didn't flat out ban it like Arkansas did.. Luckily, being legit, I'm already registered with the comptroller, so that's taken care of. The bs reporting every single invoice is what ticks me off. Why do they want all that info? It's creepy.. As if they might use these addresses for marketing for big tobacco vaping products maybe? Idk. I already have to report every 90 days for sales tax.

I'm thankful for the work around to the third party requirements though. A simple form stating who they are, their address, dob, and that they agree to have orders shipped to them, and will update address if they move, and then they sign it, return it with copy of their ID, and I keep on file for 4 years. Many people are uncomfortable with that, but versus the cost accrued with 3rd party and the hassle of being there to sign for it too.. Many prefer to just send in their ID.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
were sold.

That is simply creating a database so the state/municipality can send future tax bills and monitor out of state shipments to the name and address, to gather taxes of course. This kind of shit is nefarious and sneaky, the politicians and government pricks are looking to vampire taxes anywhere they can.

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We are in the same boat being in Texas, The cost from one vendor to implement the software is $999 for the shopping cart, Then a subscription of $99 per month and $.38 cents per name check made is ridiculous. Also, who wants to send me their DL info? This is crazy.. Essentially putting us out of doing business in texas..

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More senseless regulation now that is is Aug8th 2016.. All online sales MUST use 3rd part verification.

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We are using Bluecheck for now which sucks. They haven't shown very good results/

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to keep this thread alive. who is everyone else using post Aug 8th?

I came across the thread listing trying to check some information another shop in my area had posted in a FB group. In answer to your question though, I haven't found anything from the FDA that says specifically it has to be a 3rd party for verification. The services who run this for sites aren't doing anything special to account for the fees they charge. There is no background check being done to verify identity, nor is one needed. Small shops who are willing to take the time to do it can set up a system that passes the FDA requirements for buyers being 18 (21 in CA) or older, and covers any security concerns by their customers, without having to pay out the nose on it.

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Texas law specifically states that an affidavit be signed that is downloadable from the Texas State Comptrollers Office and you Also gain a copy of their government id Pic to keep on file before shipping a vapor product.. I believe it is kept for 4 years on file.

Dammit_Janet

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
These online verification things don't work for me. It may be my hyphenated last name. I always end up having to manually do it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors