Become a Patron!

Titanium Wire Safety?

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Hello Bodyevery,

Newbie here.

I'm getting my mod and tank in today and will soon be working on my first build. I was chatting with a buddy yesterday and as I was watching him build his kanthal coil, I noticed he fires it up briefly to see how evenly it fires from the center-out. He was doing this on his IPV Mini 2.

Now the question that came to mind is whether I'll be able to do that with my VTC mini, as I'll be using Ti wire in TC. If I'm not mistaken, generally, I understand that TC prevents dry hits from occurring. So if I'll be building a Ti wire, would I be able to pulse fire it to see how evenly it fires up?

Then my buddy said I might be able to find a way around it. But then he mentioned that I wouldn't wanna do that because dry firing Ti can cause TiO2 to develop, which is not something I want to be vaping.

I don't see that many threads on here involving Ti builds. I honestly thought it would be way more common that its possibly better than kanthal, nickel, or Ni200? (But taste is subjective and I understand people have their own preferences)

No idea about SS yet. I have 25ft of Ti coil that I'd like to finish before trying out SS or whatnot. \

Side note: How come I see these complex & cool builds with Kanthal mainly and not Ti?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to use a lot of TI for TC. You can build contact coils and dry fire them just until the coils turn blue. If you fire them until they get that whitish ashy look you've gone too far!

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
So if you've gone too far. What do you do? Scrap that and start over? Any idea what temp produces TiO2?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So if you've gone too far. What do you do? Scrap that and start over? Any idea what temp produces TiO2?
You won't produce it using temp control - even at max temp (it needs to be much hotter to get that).

Personally, if I went a bit too far, I just washed it off and continued. But ideally you would rebuild. It's very easy to stop it when it turns blue, though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Awesome. Now my next question. I haven't tried this yet. But once I'm building and its mounted on the VTC mini, under the setting for Ti wires, would I be able to dry fire it? I thought that one of the features of TC is to prevent dry hits and what not, so how do I go about that? Or do I have it completely wrong?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, you have to put it on wattage setting to fire it (I did mine around 15 watts).

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Ok cool. Is that the standard W you like to fire it up for Ti regardless of device?

...For building, that is.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok cool. Is that the standard W you like to fire it up for Ti regardless of device?

...For building, that is.
Pretty much. The trick was to find a box that read a coil that low in wattage mode (not all do)! I generally used my SX Mini M class :)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
To ease my mind about Ti and Ni200, I'm using stainless steel (SS) wire for TC only. The TC SS mode on a VTC Mini works excellent. It requires a Firmware upgrade to V2.0/3.0 though (quick and easy to do!). I love that little rascal as much as I do love my Reuleaux DNA.

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
To ease my mind about Ti and Ni200, I'm using stainless steel (SS) wire for TC only. The TC SS mode on a VTC Mini works excellent. It requires a Firmware upgrade to V2.0/3.0 though (quick and easy to do!). I love that little rascal as much as I do love my Reuleaux DNA.
I just bought some 316L SS. Have yet to try it on my vtc mini. Waiting for my dripper to come in. Will do a build on that as soon as I can.

Anything to say about ss? Taste? Building? Ease of use? Etc.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors