Become a Patron!

TOTALLY NEW idea in vaping :O (Maybe?)

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
You'll love this...or hate this. Has anyone ever talked about these 2 things.
-Coil material made from super steels. Powdered metal. Like many high-end knives. The softness of the metal can be manipulated, doesn't have to be hard like in knives. Literally hundreds of materials out there.
-CNC'd metal in the shape of coils.

It might sound crazy but what if we created totally crazy and unique shapes that standard coils or mesh could not recreate? Could be totally different results when considering flavor, power, and ohms, etc. Not a replacement for what we know and love, just another direction.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One still had to be able to install it on a deck and wick it. Spring shaped coils do absolutely wonderful for that task at this point. Why pay an exorbitant price for CNC machined parts to perform the same function?

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
One still had to be able to install it on a deck and wick it. Spring shaped coils do absolutely wonderful for that task at this point. Why pay an exorbitant price for CNC machined parts to perform the same function?
Just for fun. And exploration. CNC is not necessarily as expensive as one thinks, depending on the shape and manufacturing details. But that's another subject. Imagine a honeycombed block of steel. Like a mesh, but in 3D instead of flat. And imagine buying it once, or it actually coming on the device. No one says it needs to replace anything, just an idea for something different. Thinking aloud.

Think about this...the first person to vape anything did it on a stove in a frying pan with a cup covering the materials and using a straw to hit the vape at just the right time. Someone came up with a different way because they were exploring new ideas.

aerodan

Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
As long the powdered metals didn't offgas or create micro particles like ceramic, it's an interesting thought. But for CNC, it seems like it would be better/easier/nicer to make the whole deck. So, replacement decks for existing tanks featuring the ability to drop in CNC coils.

I'll say, a lot of testing will be necessary to get coils as they should be (ohms etc), and you're introducing a proprietary element to an increasingly DIY crew.

Personally I'd be happy just to see replacement decks for existing tanks, perhaps with some updates.

...and then of course there's the small issue of not being able to legally ship them direct, and going through PMTA. I'm all for ignoring that crud as a fun project, but as a business f'getaboudit :)

AD

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
As long the powdered metals didn't offgas or create micro particles like ceramic, it's an interesting thought. But for CNC, it seems like it would be better/easier/nicer to make the whole deck. So, replacement decks for existing tanks featuring the ability to drop in CNC coils.

I'll say, a lot of testing will be necessary to get coils as they should be (ohms etc), and you're introducing a proprietary element to an increasingly DIY crew.

Personally I'd be happy just to see replacement decks for existing tanks, perhaps with some updates.

...and then of course there's the small issue of not being able to legally ship them direct, and going through PMTA. I'm all for ignoring that crud as a fun project, but as a business f'getaboudit :)

AD
I'm not thinking business at all. That part comes when an idea is something others want in numbers. I'm just talking from a tinkerers point of view. One could say negative things about mesh too, but people seem to embrace it. Wire is ubiquitous, it's everywhere and never going away. Mesh....not so much. It's there, but not like wire. My idea is just a hair off from that category.

As far as what metal to use....not even important at this point. There are so many different ones it boggles the mind, finding safe ones will be easy. I for one would be interested to know their characteristics in wire form, not just the 3D mesh idea. After learning how drastic the difference is between current metals used it got me wondering about super steels.

But anyway, the way things are going we'll all be vaping home made mech mods powered by exercise bikes, using synthetic nicotine and copper coils from dilapidated houses.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure I see any advantage. The physics behind it is contact area of hot metal to wet cotton, which all current coils out there provide. Simpler and cheaper. Much like a bread toaster, modern designs are just like the old ones because it works and it's cheap. Thin metal for fast heating, surface area for heat distribution. Alternatives will at best recreate what exist in terms of performance and add to manufacturing costs. Like trying to find the most complicated way to reinvent the wheel for the sake of inefficiency.

Not sure why you think the situation will be so dire, mech mods can still be powered from readily available battery tech. Made from flashlight tubes like the old days if need be, how mechs began. Metal boxes will still be available. Nicotine could be an issue. Why would we have to resort to copper wire from housing wire when the world has a massive wire market outside of vaping? Makes no sense to me.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
I'm not sure I see any advantage. The physics behind it is contact area of hot metal to wet cotton, which all current coils out there provide. Simpler and cheaper. Much like a bread toaster, modern designs are just like the old ones because it works and it's cheap. Thin metal for fast heating, surface area for heat distribution. Alternatives will at best recreate what exist in terms of performance and add to manufacturing costs. Like trying to find the most complicated way to reinvent the wheel for the sake of inefficiency.

Not sure why you think the situation will be so dire, mech mods can still be powered from readily available battery tech. Made from flashlight tubes like the old days if need be, how mechs began. Metal boxes will still be available. Nicotine could be an issue. Why would we have to resort to copper wire from housing wire when the world has a massive wire market outside of vaping? Makes no sense to me.
Lol, I was giving an extreme example. This was just a thought exercise out loud, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I just got to thinking about surface area and small channels created with today's advanced coils, and how I saw a test of different metal coils and their ramping characteristics. How a totally different shape might advance that even further by eliminating thick sections of coil and creating a shape that wicks or helps wick the juice.

Hey, I like making coils actually. It was just an idea.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lol, I was giving an extreme example. This was just a thought exercise out loud, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I just got to thinking about surface area and small channels created with today's advanced coils, and how I saw a test of different metal coils and their ramping characteristics. How a totally different shape might advance that even further by eliminating thick sections of coil and creating a shape that wicks or helps wick the juice.

Hey, I like making coils actually. It was just an idea.
I love your idea. A cleaner vape would be nice without gunking. Changing wicks is pain in the ass. Especially when I’m doing it for three. I always get asked when I’m busy or late in the evening.Lol
Looking forward in seeing your upgrade.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Why pay an exorbitant price for CNC machined parts to perform the same function?

Well you can get a 10 piece pack of SS316L for about $3 on FastTech. They're pre-made coils from a CNC factory. Kanthal coils you can find 100 piece packs for about $7 to $10. So there's really not that much extra retail cost for them.

In fact you might say given the CNC factory could dump out 100,000 per hour/day then the costs actually goes down. This goes back to the basic economics lesson of safety pins. Why pay 100 people to make 100,000 when you could use a machine and maybe 5 people? Lower cost of labor you also lower liability and so retail cost as well.

VU Sponsors