Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

All I can say is wow!

Excerpt:

The Trump administration on Monday proposed creating a new federal agency to regulate tobacco products while removing that authority from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA.)

The White House's budget request for the upcoming fiscal year proposes making the Center for Tobacco Products independent of the FDA, with a director to be confirmed by the Senate.

"A new agency with the singular mission on tobacco and its impact on public health would have greater capacity to respond strategically to the growing complexity of new tobacco products," the budget request reads.

"In addition, this reorganization would allow the FDA Commissioner to focus on its traditional mission of ensuring the safety of the Nation’s food and medical products supply," it continues.

The FDA regulates tobacco products, including cigarettes and e-cigarettes, as well as prescription and over-the-counter drugs, food, dietary supplements, vaccines, medical devices and more.

The new agency would still be under the purview of the Department of Health and Human Services. The president's budget request is just a proposal and is unlikely to pass Congress in its current form. The idea of removing tobacco regulation authority, which was granted to the FDA in a 2009 law passed by Congress, from the agency does not have broad support among lawmakers.

Joe Grogan, head of the White House Domestic Policy Council, lamented last year to reporters that tobacco regulation was a "huge waste of time" for the FDA.

"Tobacco has no redeeming qualities and it should not be regulated by a health agency like this," Grogan said last year.

Tobacco regulation is a "huge distraction" for the FDA, he added.
Former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb pushed back at the time, tweeting that tobacco regulation is one of the agency's "most important public health missions."

“The regulation of tobacco products was one of the most productive uses of my time as FDA Commissioner,” Gottlieb said in a tweet.

The FDA has cracked down on the e-cigarette and tobacco industry in the past year, banning the sale of flavored products it argues are fueling a youth vaping "epidemic." But anti-tobacco advocates argued the Trump administration did not go far enough, leaving thousands of products on the market that could appeal to kids, including single-use, disposable e-cigarettes.

Free-market groups and conservatives have also been critical of the FDA's actions, arguing that banning flavors is harmful for adults who use e-cigarettes to switch from traditional cigarettes.

Anti-tobacco advocates on Monday warned against taking tobacco control authority away from the FDA.

READ MORE: >> HERE <<

iTl2dD7WhT8

Click here to get more information on this deal....

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Won't that require congress to change some existing laws?
And good luck with trump trying to get anything passed in the house.
The Dems be pissed.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also I figure that the Deeming regs impact on expensive cigars play some part in this.

If I recall correctly cigars was a big reason for the Cole-Bishop thing?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wonder if this will have an impact of the current flavor bans that have been instituted? Crossing Fingers~!

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It makes a lot of sense in my opinion.
The FDA has wasted valuable man-hours and resources on tobacco/e-cigs when it could have spent on "food and drugs"!

A new entity dedicated to tobacco/e-cig products and perhaps alcohol would be better spent to more thoroughly research issues so they can really understand e-cigs. For heaven's sake, tobacco has been around since the dawn of time. The FDA didn't feel a need to do something about cigarettes and minors. They issued a warning on all packs and set an age restriction. For well over 100 years the FDA knew kids were stealing cigs from their parents and did not charge parents with a crime for this, leaving it as it's been.

True, there is a problem with underage children and ecigs, but the new agency can better address that with a suitable regulation which would not impact responsible adults with the real intention to gradually quit smoking.

I'm all for getting tobacco and ecigs OUT of the FDA.

As for Gottlieb the deft slime, he's not good enough to kiss Trumps ass.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Umm we already have the ATF...

I wonder if they will enforce illegal tobacco products regulations after May 12....
It is what they do...

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Indeed. But there is no real concern from them over tobacco. Drugs, yes. And I recant my inclusion of alcohol.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As of January 24, 2003, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) is responsible for all inquiries in regards to the:

• Manufacture, wholesale and importation of alcohol and tobacco;
  • Regulating the alcohol and tobacco industries and Special Occupational TAX (SOT); and
  • Collection of the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Ammunition Excise Taxes imposed on manufactures and importers of these products.
Visit TTB’s Contact Us page for further information.

Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement
Alcohol and tobacco diversion is the trafficking of alcohol and tobacco products in avoidance of Federal, State or foreign taxes or in violation of Federal, State or foreign law.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement
Alcohol and tobacco diversion is the trafficking of alcohol and tobacco products in avoidance of Federal, State or foreign taxes or in violation of Federal, State or foreign law.

Wow. Thank you for the information, Crom. I'm certainly not well versed in this subject but that looks like a good read.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm an optimist, Crom. But yes, that would be terrible.

Hope for the best - Prepare for the worst.
Yep and why I have my Vape Bunker well stocked for around 20-30 years. With some batteries, cotton and flavorings and such along.
After looking thru the PMTA requirements I do not expect any open/variable wattage system to get FDA approval.

And this thing Trump is proposing is in the budget, which will certainly not get passed in any form before May 12 I think.

VU Sponsors